Will my lack of stellar ECs hurt my chances? 3.8 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA, 39 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LianaStan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I am a traditional applicant and would love for your opinion on my chances at some of my top choices. My ECs are unfortunately not as great as the ones I have seen on here, but would you consider me competitive for mid to top tier schools despite that flaw in my app?

TX Resident
Biology Major at top 10 school
3.80 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA
13/13/13 MCAT

My ECs are very heavily research based, and even then I feel it really pales in comparison to some of the ones I have seen on here. How do you guys even manage to find the time? Not really hating, just thoroughly impressed.

Lab Tech for 2.5 years --> ~3000 hrs
1 Research Fellowship
2 publications
2 posters
--------------------------
2 jobs as a Teaching Assistant
1 Leadership position in a Student Organization
-------------------------

Here is where my weakness really shows unfortunately. I don't have that many hours invested into clinical activities.

40 hrs Shadowing
~200 total hrs. combined volunteering at two separate hospitals
------------------------

Those are my ECs, and I'm really not quite sure what to think when I take a look at some of the posts here. While I understand my academics will get me past screenings, I am genuinely wondering how much my ECs will hold me back.

My number 1 school that I would pick over everything else is Baylor University.

The other schools are as follows:
· University of California-San Francisco
· Harvard
· John Hopkins
· University of Washington
· University of Pennsylvania
· Northwestern University
· University of Chicago
· UT in Houston
· UT in San Antonio
· UT in Southwestern Medical Center
· Cornell
· Tulane
· St Louis U

I'm still trying to figure out the rest of the list and am changing things up, my heart is unfortunately just really set on Baylor.

Oh, also, if you have time, it would be great if you wanted to interject some schools you think my stats would be a good fit for so I can have a starting point for researching. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

My college roomate is an M1 at baylor and loving it.

He was out of state with a 3.85 I believe and a 35 MCAT. He had a lot of research like yourself and not a whole lot of clinical.

I imagine you will be fine at Baylor. That said I think you need to include a few more safety type schools. You still have plenty of time to get some more exposure to the medical field which will help in your interviews, since like you said you'll have no trouble getting past screenings. Good luck!

I am a traditional applicant and would love for your opinion on my chances at some of my top choices. My ECs are unfortunately not as great as the ones I have seen on here, but would you consider me competitive for mid to top tier schools despite that flaw in my app?

TX Resident
3.80 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA
13/13/13 MCAT

My ECs are very heavily research based, and even then I feel it really pales in comparison to some of the ones I have seen on here. How do you guys even manage to find the time? Not really hating, just thoroughly impressed.

1 Research Fellowship
2 publications
2 posters

Here is where my weakness really shows unfortunately. I don't have that many hours invested into clinical activities.

40 hrs Shadowing
------------------------

Those are my ECs, and I'm really not quite sure what to think when I take a look at some of the posts here. While I understand my academics will get me past screenings, I am genuinely wondering how much my ECs will hold me back.

· Harvard
· John Hopkins
· University of Chicago
· UT in Houston
· UT in San Antonio
· Cornell
· Tulane
· St Louis U

I'm still trying to figure out the rest of the list and am changing things up, my heart is unfortunately just really set on Baylor.

Oh, also, if you have time, it would be great if you wanted to interject some schools you think my stats would be a good fit for so I can have a starting point for researching. Thanks so much!

Your ecs are fine for even top schools. Your list d good apply to all the Texas schools and some reaches.

Submit your app soon!

I'm thinking Baylor will love you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd remove University of Washington from your list. They only take people from Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Idaho, and Montana and it seems like you are a Texas resident.

Quit fussing; you're golden!

TX Resident
3.80 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA
13/13/13 MCAT

1 Research Fellowship
2 publications
2 posters

40 hrs Shadowing
------------------------

· Harvard
· John Hopkins
· University of Chicago
· UT in Houston
· UT in San Antonio
· Cornell
· Tulane
· St Louis U