Winter Interview Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grebes4lyfe

PennVet ℅ 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I did a quick search and nothing came up... sorry if this has been addressed already, and if it has, feel free to direct me there and close this thread!

I'm wondering how to deal with winter interviews on the east coast! I'm living in southern california, so my winter wardrobe is sorely lacking. I have a ski coat, gloves, scarves, and hats... but i'm not quite sure how to assemble a professional interview outfit that is suitable for snow. Especially when it comes to shoes.
I don't currently have any good winter weather shoes, and i know that i'll need to get some before going east, but I'm wondering if good looking winter boot type shoes are acceptable to wear to interviews? or do i bring my loafers with me and change in and out of boots? it seems excessive to bring a second pair of shoes to wear for 30 minutes when boots would be acceptable and necessary for the rest of the day (tours, etc).
also, is a bulky ski jacket over a professional blazer ok? or do i need to find a more professional looking outer coat as well?
specifically, i will be at tufts and penn the last week of january, and in ithaca the 2nd week of feb!

I guess I'm sort of looking for advice, but mostly i'm just looking for some shared experiences from other people--what have you done? what have you seen that worked? didn't work?

TIA!! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Take it with a grain of salt, because I

A) did not interview at a vet school and
B) do not live in the north/ a place with regular snow and ski jackets

Maybe you can wear the heavy warm clothes, and then either leave them in the car and walk fast to the building, or you could just leave them in the lobby/ waiting room while you go interview?

Hey guys!
I did a quick search and nothing came up... sorry if this has been addressed already, and if it has, feel free to direct me there and close this thread!

I'm wondering how to deal with winter interviews on the east coast! I'm living in southern california, so my winter wardrobe is sorely lacking. I have a ski coat, gloves, scarves, and hats... but i'm not quite sure how to assemble a professional interview outfit that is suitable for snow. Especially when it comes to shoes.
I don't currently have any good winter weather shoes, and i know that i'll need to get some before going east, but I'm wondering if good looking winter boot type shoes are acceptable to wear to interviews? or do i bring my loafers with me and change in and out of boots? it seems excessive to bring a second pair of shoes to wear for 30 minutes when boots would be acceptable and necessary for the rest of the day (tours, etc).
also, is a bulky ski jacket over a professional blazer ok? or do i need to find a more professional looking outer coat as well?
specifically, i will be at tufts and penn the last week of january, and in ithaca the 2nd week of feb!

I guess I'm sort of looking for advice, but mostly i'm just looking for some shared experiences from other people--what have you done? what have you seen that worked? didn't work?

TIA!! <3

My SO is a California native transplanted to the east coast. He swears by long underwear (which I think is a bit excessive, but I've lived here my whole life so I'm semi-immune.)

Personally I would try to change in an out of boots....it sucks, but I haven't really seen any weatherproof boots that look professional (others may know some, but I don't). I think a nice wool peacoat or a long, tailored ski jacket would be totally fine over a blazer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience (interviewed at a handful of cold places in winter, but not the ones you asked about specifically)... Your outerwear coat shouldn’t matter if it’s pretty informal (ski jacket, etc.) bc they all had coat racks to hang it on once you’re indoors but well before any official part of the interview begins. In my opinion, you don’t want to do your official interview in snow boots (or really any weatherproof boot). If there is no snow on the ground at the time, you can just wear your nicer shoes for the walk to get inside, but if it is snowy out, it’s worth it to carry your nicer shoes in and switch into them once you’re indoors. I believe all of the places I interviewed told us ahead of time that we were welcome to wear “comfy shoes” for the tour part of the day, so feel free to take advantage of that (I was stubborn and “toughed it out” in my dress shoes and I think I still have the blisters to show for it ).

Reactions: 3 users
I’d get a pair of snow-type boots to wear and then change into your interview shoes once indoors. No snow-appropriate footwear is going to look professional unfortunately.

As for the coat, doesn’t really matter but if you can find an inexpensive tailored coat (pea coat or even a neutral down coat or whatever) that would be nice. You’ll still be given a place to store a jacket and such when you arrive.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys!
Any recommendations for good relatively inexpensive weatherproof boots that also look cute?

Also, would you guys recommend wearing long underwear under dress pants for these interviews and tours? Or was the long underwear comment just in general? Haha

Thanks guys!
Any recommendations for good relatively inexpensive weatherproof boots that also look cute?

Also, would you guys recommend wearing long underwear under dress pants for these interviews and tours? Or was the long underwear comment just in general? Haha
I think you’d get too hot during the interview if you were wearing long underwear.
And as for what I wore for my coat outside, I just wore my nice ski jacket. Here’s a picture of it. I felt like being warm over spending money to buy a peacoat or something that wasn’t going to be as warm as my ski jacket
834186F4-FC94-4AAD-8FDA-605921273BEE.jpeg

I live in New England so I might be able to help. Im wearing a suit for interviews with flats and bringing a change of clothes/shoes for tours. There's no snow on the ground now but that could change and we've had some warm days around 40-50ish degrees.

Usually you can get away with a long sleeve and a winter jacket (you don't need anything expensive) and long pants. Some people wear leggings under their pants/jeans. Bring a hat that covers your ears and gloves.

You might not even need snow boots. I have a pair that I bought at Target for relatively cheap but I'll probably just wear sneakers if there isn't any snow.

I live in New England so I might be able to help. Im wearing a suit for interviews with flats and bringing a change of clothes/shoes for tours. There's no snow on the ground now but that could change and we've had some warm days around 40-50ish degrees.

Usually you can get away with a long sleeve and a winter jacket (you don't need anything expensive) and long pants. Some people wear leggings under their pants/jeans. Bring a hat that covers your ears and gloves.

You might not even need snow boots. I have a pair that I bought at Target for relatively cheap but I'll probably just wear sneakers if there isn't any snow.
Sneakers for an interview?????

Oh you’re changing shoes for interview lol. Good. I panicked lol

Sneakers for an interview?????

Oh you’re changing shoes for interview lol. Good. I panicked lol

Oh yeah I figured I would wear my bright blue sneakers for my interview. It would set me apart right? ;)

Oh yeah I figured I would wear my bright blue sneakers for my interview. It would set me apart right? ;)
Someone at my interview wore a green plaid suit. It was a look :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Disclaimer: I interviewed during the summer for my vet school, but now I live in a place with very cold winters.

I would not buy a pair of snow boots/winter boots, I personally think it is a waste of money unless you get in and are moving there. Today it was -6F before windchill, and I was comfortable walking around in my Blundstones (which are not insulated). So I would either:

A: bring a pair of comfortable shoes/boots that you already own (non-heeled preferably) as a second set of footwear.
B: If you are driving and/or have very minimal outside walking to do, just wear your interview shoes outside from the car to the building. I would just caution being careful about ice, since interview heels and icy sidewalks aren't a great combo.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s a decent chance I’m overthinking this but the only nice coat I own is the winter coat my boyfriend’s mom got me. It’s made of goose down and has real fur around the hood. I know there’s some controversy around the coats in general and I worry that I’ll come across someone during my interview weekend who would take it offensively, especially in a veterinary setting. Opinions on getting another coat for the sake of the interview? Or maybe just taking the hood off? Born and raised in FL so my winter wardrobe isn’t exactly extensive (handful of hoodies and sweaters but that’s it really).

You know, I had this exact same thought a few days ago. I'm from the northeast US so I'm all about that cold weather, and I'm also planning on wearing my favorite, super warm and comfy down coat with fur trim to my interview in February. I got to thinking that it is highly doubtful that any faculty or administration member who is actually involved in the admissions process gives a rats a** about what coats potential students are wearing. They have bigger things to worry about. As for other interviewees, their opinion(s) about your personal choices etc really do not matter. *shrugs*

Reactions: 1 user
IDK it probably depends, but at my school a ton of people have Canada Goose coats, which are down filled and have coyote fur around the hood. So most likely it would be fine.

I personally would take the hood off because I'm paranoid (and I'm originally from a very animal rightsy area so I'm used to people having an issue with that sort of thing). It would also depend on where you are going; I'm in Saskatchewan right now which is a little more redneck. If I was going somewhere that is known to not be so redneck, I would be more inclined to lose the hood. Also depends on how cold it is expected to be.

I wouldn't buy a new coat. Interviews are expensive enough as it is.

IDK it probably depends, but at my school a ton of people have Canada Goose coats, which are down filled and have coyote fur around the hood. So most likely it would be fine.

I personally would take the hood off because I'm paranoid (and I'm originally from a very animal rightsy area so I'm used to people having an issue with that sort of thing). It would also depend on where you are going; I'm in Saskatchewan right now which is a little more redneck. If I was going somewhere that is known to not be so redneck, I would be more inclined to lose the hood. Also depends on how cold it is expected to be.

I wouldn't buy a new coat. Interviews are expensive enough as it is.

You know, I had this exact same thought a few days ago. I'm from the northeast US so I'm all about that cold weather, and I'm also planning on wearing my favorite, super warm and comfy down coat with fur trim to my interview in February. I got to thinking that it is highly doubtful that any faculty or administration member who is actually involved in the admissions process gives a rats a** about what coats potential students are wearing. They have bigger things to worry about. As for other interviewees, their opinion(s) about your personal choices etc really do not matter. *shrugs*

Thanks guys! I’ll probably just take the hood off. If I had known it was coyote fur I probably wouldn’t have bought it myself, but it was a gift and there’s a good chance I wouldn’t have survived my Minnesota winters without that thing:confused:

Thanks guys! I’ll probably just take the hood off. If I had known it was coyote fur I probably wouldn’t have bought it myself, but it was a gift and there’s a good chance I wouldn’t have survived my Minnesota winters without that thing:confused:

There is such a vast array of animal welfare opinions in vet med that I doubt it would be a problem. Our school has PETA/HSUS members all the way to ranchers and pet store/breeder families. And thats if they can even tell it's real fur.

If that's the coat you have, I would use it without an issue. In all likihood it won't even be in your interview with you.

Reactions: 2 users
Grebes -- I can help!

I'm a Tufts student who used to live in CA, and 2 of my best friends from vet school grew up in California. PM me -- I can give you some more details about the interview and how to handle swapping between interview clothes and dressing warmly.

My one-liner summary: Tufts is very relaxed and you can absolutely bring a change of clothes.