Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philliab

We out, we out. Right. We out, we out.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we had such fun with the 2012 Summer Olympic thread, I thought I'd start one for Sochi. Any and all Olympics conversation is welcome in this thread.

I'll start.....

Confession: I watch it all. Yes all of it...even the sports Nordic Combined and Cross-Country Skiing.

I still need to upgrade my Dish service so I can get all the Curling matching. Hopefully I can catch a lot online at work, but I LOVE CURLING! Can't wait to see the pants that the Norwegian teams wear.

Not too interested in the new team figure skating this year. But I did see the 30 for 30 on Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan a few weeks ago, which probably left a bad taste in my mouth for the sport.

Anyone else psyched for it all or something in particular?

GO USA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i'll admit you had me confused and concerned there for a minute! i was pretty sure it started on the 7th!! i'm just a tad bit cut off from the rest of the world down here haha

i am typically a WO fanatic. i watch as much as i can. me thinks thats not going to happen this year with vet school and all, but we shall see!

Members don't see this ad :)
I watched every televised bit of the 2010 games. Though I admit, I watched the cross country at around 4x speed.

I has an excite.

Pretty sure that's ok. ;) I tend to do homework or house cleaning during the XC Skiing, but for some reason, curling holds my entire attention. :laugh:

i'll admit you had me confused and concerned there for a minute! i was pretty sure it started on the 7th!! i'm just a tad bit cut off from the rest of the world down here haha

Sorry jmo! I just got excited.

Here's the schedule for those feeling too lazy to Google. :p http://www.sochi2014.com/en

HOCKEY!!!!!!!

That's what I care about.

And I'm hoping that it's as exciting as the 2010 match-up. :shifty:

Reactions: 1 users
I only make it a point to watch hockey. I'll watch whatever else if I'm home and bored but all I actually care about enough to rearrange my schedule for is hockey.

Go Canada, US, Finland in the men's, and GO TEAM USA in the women's!!

I usually love the Olympics...but all the badness surrounding the lead up to these ones is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

I usually love the Olympics...but all the badness surrounding the lead up to these ones is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

I definitely agree with you, but I hate to take away from the amazing accomplishments of the athletes.

I agree. Between the anti-gay stuff, the stray dogs, the orcas, etc., I'm perturbed, but also don't wanna take away from the athletes that have worked so hard to get there. Besides, I like to watch curling. Is that weird? Haha

I definitely agree with you, but I hate to take away from the amazing accomplishments of the athletes.

Oh gosh no. I have to say being able to go to the 2012 Olympics was one of the best experiences of my life because of the athletes and the host city. I just hope these ones go well, considering.

Oh gosh no. I have to say being able to go to the 2012 Olympics was one of the best experiences of my life because of the athletes and the host city. I just hope these ones go well, considering.

Oh that's true! Still jealous. :p

Me too....

Only a totally petty note: the USA uniforms are horrendous this year (even worse than 2012)! :barf:

Members don't see this ad :)
This?

ralph-lauren-team-usa-winter-olympics-sochi-2014-4.jpg

Definitely agree, but then I think about it for a while and it's like "Well, what do you expect when you let Russia host?" :rolleyes:

I seriously think they intentionally make the uniforms horrific. It's a way of bringing the athletes down to a more relate-able level - they can't be perfect specimens of human strength AND be well dressed, that would just be too much to handle!

Although the uniforms have deteriorated significantly over the years: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...rms-through-the-years-78350.php#photo-5767213

Who do you have branding your consumer olympic apparel?

Ours sucks this year. It's more like Adidas clothes that happen to have Canada on them than real olympic wear. :thumbdown:

Ours sucks this year. It's more like Adidas clothes that happen to have Canada on them than real olympic wear. :thumbdown:

Nike and Ralph Lauren.

I like yours better than ours though. At least they look athletic. Ours look like Ralph Lauren asked his grandma to knit him some Olympic-themed sweaters.

I like yours better than ours though. At least they look athletic. Ours look like Ralph Lauren asked his grandma to knit him some Olympic-themed sweaters.

Yeah, I like the athele's apparel. Particularly the snowboarding jacket....

snowboard-ski-canadian-team-olympic-outerwear-600x532.png

But the stuff you can buy as a consumer blows. We had such great gear for 2010 in Vancouver.... :( This is too much adidas and not enough olympics.

pSPCK1-16906012v275.jpg

Though I don't have as much of a reason to buy this stuff like I used to considering I'm not in school in MN any longer. I love taunting back and forth.

That day after the men's hockey gold medal game....best day evar. hehehe

Getting ready.....

1794553_748120651872496_470116261_n.jpg

Though I don't have as much of a reason to buy this stuff like I used to considering I'm not in school in MN any longer. I love taunting back and forth.

That day after the men's hockey gold medal game....best day evar. hehehe

I'm not ashamed of owning a red team Canada Crosby jersey. 8)

If the media hotels are that bad, I can't even imagine what the athlete's village must look like! :eek:

Looks like Shaun White is out of Slope-Style.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-olympics/news/20140205/shaun-white-out-slopestyle-sochi-olympics/

Sounds like the course isn't safe.

I love me some Shaun White but I admit that the snipes by other teams about him withdrawing because he doesn't think he can win may hold a bit of merit...Seems like half the athletes say it's really challenging and borderline unsafe while the other half seem to think it's tough but fair. Shaun White never really seemed like the kind of guy to say, "Not doin' it, too scary!" but then again his injuries are adding up and concerns for his own safety (and ability to defend his half-pipe titles) are legit.

I love me some Shaun White but I admit that the snipes by other teams about him withdrawing because he doesn't think he can win may hold a bit of merit...Seems like half the athletes say it's really challenging and borderline unsafe while the other half seem to think it's tough but fair. Shaun White never really seemed like the kind of guy to say, "Not doin' it, too scary!" but then again his injuries are adding up and concerns for his own safety (and ability to defend his half-pipe titles) are legit.

I agree with you, and I do wish the US would put an alternate in there. But I'd rather him have a chance to win half-pipe then watch them scraped him off the other course.

And I really wish he still had all his hair. No clue why, but it worked for him. :laugh:

I am actually super conflicted.

As much as I love the Olympics... After watching this video of gay people in Russia being beat up, abused, all under the pretense of this anti-gay law in Russia...
http://www.upworthy.com/here-is-the...y-men-being-beaten-on-camera-in-russia?c=ufb1

and the fact that the Olympics is supposed to mean more than just sports, "encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport... to act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement...to oppose any political... abuse of sport and athletes..." etc... I'm just not sure... :depressed:

I am actually super conflicted.

As much as I love the Olympics... After watching this video of gay people in Russia being beat up, abused, all under the pretense of this anti-gay law in Russia...
http://www.upworthy.com/here-is-the...y-men-being-beaten-on-camera-in-russia?c=ufb1

and the fact that the Olympics is supposed to mean more than just sports, "encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport... to act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement...to oppose any political... abuse of sport and athletes..." etc... I'm just not sure... :depressed:

Ehhh...I don't agree with anything that has gone on in Russia, BUT by watching the Olympics, I'm not supporting the country or city in which they are held. I'm supporting all the athletes and appreciating their talents and hard work. They certainly didn't choose the location, and I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for them.

But I completely understand and respect your stance on this.

Pretty sure it's true. :depressed:

On a different note....I'm apparently not in the right frame of mind to watch the Olympics yet. It's like I need the opening ceremonies to get me revved up or something. Or I need to break out my awesome jacket from the '96 Olympics! :woot: