Wish to have some scheduling/game-plan advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quant_risk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have recently received a wonderful research opportunity which demands a good amount of time commitment. I wish to create a post to get some valuable feedback.

Quick background of my situation: recently have my our newborn (1 month old, cute as a button, thank you), full time post-bac student only taking science classes (doing well grade-wise), currently involved in 1 research group within a research hospital, volunteering 4 hours/week.

I was recently offered a second research opportunity. This position, however, is a paid research position and will demands time commitment (~20-40 hours/week). I cannot pass this opportunity, but am worried I might take on more than I can handle. The reason is I plan to take the MCAT in May 2016.

Some options I have right now are
1. Remain a full time student next semester, but focus on MCAT and the 2 researches; thus, might compromising post-bac GPA.
2. Take on less class next semester (i.e. only take Orgo 2 or BioChem), and start my application in May even though some course requirements might be missing. I hope to complete those requirement before matriculation time (if I ever get accepted, that is)

Further information: courses I will be completing by the end of this semester:
Gen Chem 1 & 2 w/ lab
Physics 1 w/ lab
Bio 1 & 2 w/lab
Orgo 1 w/ lab

Projected post-bac GPA after this semester 3.9

Cum GPA prior to post-bac: 3.59
BCPM prior to post-bac: 3.48 (Math major, finished BA in 2.5 years, this was 10 years ago)

Missing courses that might be required by different schools (as of the end of this semester): Phys 2 w/lab, Orgo 2 w/lab, Biochem

My question really is, would compromising post-bac grade as a full time student be worse than taking minimum course load (and thus compromise less on post-bac GPA)? Would it be possible to apply even though not all course requirement was fulfilled?

If you have further suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My knee-jerk response is, DO NOT sacrifice your post-bac performance just to add another research experience. DO NOT sacrifice your MCAT prep just to add another research experience. Nobody will be impressed that you worked in two labs if your MCAT and GPA are sub-par.

If you need the opportunity because of the money, consider dropping some classes or dropping the unpaid research. That may mean you would need to extend your application timeline because going without biochem and the second half of orgo doesn't strike me as the best idea- it could have a negative effect on your MCAT prep as well as the number of schools available to you.

If any actual adcom members say differently I will defer to them.

Congrats on your new baby!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your input. I might need to be wiser about time management and drop one of the research. Sadly, it does seem that we are approaching enough materials to be publishable. I definitely need to re-evaluate my game plan.

Again, thank you. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I read this correctly, and you take the "1 fewer class" option next semester, you'd be skipping out on Phys II for now (and taking it before matriculation)?

My 2 cents: Of the very few straight physics problems on my MCAT (2015 version), all but 1 problem came from the 2nd semester of physics. So, it is important for the MCAT. I'd also make sure you're allowed to take Org II and BioChem concurrently, as at my post-bacc that was not a problem (Org II was prerequisite for BioChem).

I have to agree with the previous poster about not sacrificing your GPA/MCAT prep if you already have a research gig lined up. The MCAT is the gatekeeper.

Agree 100% with my learned colleague. The whole point of post-bacs is not merely to take the pre-reqs, but to ace them and show Adcoms that you can handle rigorous coursework, which will only increase in med school.

You also need to master time mgt, and taking on more than you can chew will crater your grades and also show us that you're a poor risk for med school.

As non-trad, we cut you slack on the need for research, anyway.

Always remember that this process is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

My knee-jerk response is, DO NOT sacrifice your post-bac performance just to add another research experience. DO NOT sacrifice your MCAT prep just to add another research experience. Nobody will be impressed that you worked in two labs if your MCAT and GPA are sub-par.

If you need the opportunity because of the money, consider dropping some classes or dropping the unpaid research. That may mean you would need to extend your application timeline because going without biochem and the second half of orgo doesn't strike me as the best idea- it could have a negative effect on your MCAT prep as well as the number of schools available to you.

If any actual adcom members say differently I will defer to them.

Congrats on your new baby!!

The past couple days have been quite hectic. Many apologies for my late response to Goro and New_Slang. Thank you very much for your inputs. SDN has been kind to people like me, thanks to contributors like yourself.

Quick update: I know I will not have enough time to juggle such workload next semester, so I decide to stay loyal to my current research group. There was a time when I knocked on many doors looking for research opportunity, and the group was the first who gave me such tremendous support. I went to explain my situation to the second group, and thanked the PI for his generous offer. To my utmost surprise, he offered to let me start in July of next year and also willing to work with my school schedule. I almost jumped and gave the poor guy a hug. But we settled for a handshake. I will get paid again in July, yay...

Reactions: 1 user