This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahalopele

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need your guys' opinions on something. I am premed with a 3.94 cumulative GPA, but I am getting a "C" in one of my classes. I spoke to the professor and she basically said that there was no way I could raise the grade. Should I drop the class and receive a "W" on my transcript (which isn't factored into my cumulative GPA), or continue taking it and receive a "C" and retake it anyway? I want to apply to Harvard Medical School, if this is any help (yes, I realize that this sounds ridiculous when I am barely passing a class- "C" is the minimum passing grade at my school). What is your guys' opinions?

Note: At the schools that I am planning to apply to, they do factor a "C" into my cumulative science GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

If you must go to Harvard, then sure. Drop the class. If it's not necessary and you will settle for any of the other excellent and prestigious medical schools in the United States, I wouldn't bother. One C will not stop you from getting into a top medical school and might not even stop you from getting into Harvard.

Reactions: 1 user
If you must go to Harvard, then sure. Drop the class. If it's not necessary and you will settle for any of the other excellent and prestigious medical schools in the United States, I wouldn't bother. One C will not stop you from getting into a top medical school and might not even stop you from getting into Harvard.

It definitely won't stop you

Members don't see this ad :)
If the course is about to finish, take the grade. If you don't want to take the course anymore because it sucks, drop it and do something fun in the meantime. Based on your cum. GPA, I doubt people will care much about a C (what is that, like a few missed assignments?), so I would stick with it unless the course really bothers you.

Drop it.

This is the endless pursuit of perfection.
This is Lexus.

Wait....

Provided you continue to keep a 3.94 in all your other classes that one C merely lowers your over all GPA to 3.86 (given that it's a 3 hour course and you graduate with 120 hours)

Don't worry about withdraw or retaking, if you don't get into Harvard I can all but guarantee it won't be because of one C in a random class.