Working in Australia as a medical student during breaks for income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daemos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been trying to figure out how to gain some supplementary income as a student during breaks, as with the economic downturn, I think it will become increasingly harder to obtain enough loans to cover all of the debt needed by studying in Australia.

Medical students here have the opportunity to peruse research and work with medical researchers and earn some money locally. This is through the university here. Other options that i've seen medical students here get is through sponsored global exchanges through IFMSA.

I was wondering what opportunities exist for those of us on Student Visas that plan to study medicine in Australia.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how picky you are.

I was able to find some good summer job opportunities, that were good for CV purposes as well as for income. I did have to travel a fair bit though.

There are always research positions as well as positions around the various hospitals. Blood taking is an example that comes to mind, another is pathology cut ups. These both pay pretty well but you'd have to be more proactive and approach the places that might have these jobs rather then waiting for an advertisement to pop up.

As for the Visa you have 20 hours/week to work during the school year, and unlimited hours during the summer.

If you get desperate you could always do some fruit picking - it pays really well and is seasonal, which would be perfect.

I don't mind travelling as long as I can access the locations via public transportation. I know you can work full time on a student visa on school holidays, I am unsure if it is possible to work 20hr/week and study for med school at the same time.

Here in Manitoba, Med I and Med II during the summer can do a BSc (Med) degree, which is basically research with a professor, and each summer is $5000.

I'm guessing the universities there do not offer such a program, as it seems to be unique in Canada as well. Job hunting it seems will need to be done.

I heard the minimum wage in Australia is quite high compared to the minimum wage in Canada. Any truth to this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for every university but mine awarded me a BMedSci anyway, so while this particular program wasn't there, there were plenty of paid research opportunities available - some advertised some unadvertised.

As for travel I meant, I got a job but I had to move to another state (accom. and the like were included though).

Re minimum wage, the wage I was earning while in school was (at the time) 3x (even after currency conversion) what I would get in Ontario. So it's generally higher then Ontario, but I can't speak for other provinces.

Unless you somehow get another party to pay for your traveling expenses, that would probably eat up a huge chunk of your profits. Could be a fun vacation/work time, but if your main reason is income it probably won't turn out that great financially.

I can't speak for every university but mine awarded me a BMedSci anyway, so while this particular program wasn't there, there were plenty of paid research opportunities available - some advertised some unadvertised.

As for travel I meant, I got a job but I had to move to another state (accom. and the like were included though).

Re minimum wage, the wage I was earning while in school was (at the time) 3x (even after currency conversion) what I would get in Ontario. So it's generally higher then Ontario, but I can't speak for other provinces.

Regarding the BMedSci, this is because you partook the 6-year direct from highschool entry and not the graduate entry right? I believe UQ gives a BMedSci along with the MBBS for the undergraduate 6-year entry, where for the 4-year graduate entry they only award the MBBS. U of M offers the BSc Med as an optional degree you get paid to do.

Having your accomidations included is pretty good! That's pretty nice.

Those wages are quite good, ontario and manitoba's minimum wage is similar, so 3x even the min wage from a few years ago, is still over double the current wage.

Yep, I was in the direct entry 6 year program.

However I doubt the new 5 year program in Tas offers the BMedSci program. However you can actually now get a PhD if you are willing to put in an extra 1-2 years (or so I've been told).

I'm just gunning for the 4 year graduate MBBS program, I think getting a PhD would be too much for me =(

What is the criteria for working in a research/path lab in a hospital during the breaks? I am not sure how the course curriculum is in Australia, but at least here, the first 2 years are pre-clinical years, and after the first year you are qualified to peruse the BSc med degree over the first two summers doing research (while earning money for the research). The fact one is in medical school and completed the first year, is what qualifies them to work in a research lab here, not the degree they had before hand.

What is the criteria for working in a research/path lab in a hospital during the breaks? I am not sure how the course curriculum is in Australia, but at least here, the first 2 years are pre-clinical years, and after the first year you are qualified to peruse the BSc med degree over the first two summers doing research (while earning money for the research). The fact one is in medical school and completed the first year, is what qualifies them to work in a research lab here, not the degree they had before hand.

The medical degree itself doesn't really have much bearing on "training" for either the research position or working in the path lab. However like any other job, being in medical school just helps distinguish you from other potential applicants, and in some cases (like the path lab) they will only hire medical students.

I think you should be able to work in either one of these positions (providing you can secure the job) right from day one. Be careful however as some of these jobs may have a stipulation that you work there full time during summer full time - so don't book a return ticket before you arrive in Oz.

The medical degree itself doesn't really have much bearing on "training" for either the research position or working in the path lab. However like any other job, being in medical school just helps distinguish you from other potential applicants, and in some cases (like the path lab) they will only hire medical students.

I think you should be able to work in either one of these positions (providing you can secure the job) right from day one. Be careful however as some of these jobs may have a stipulation that you work there full time during summer full time - so don't book a return ticket before you arrive in Oz.

As much as i'd love to come home for Christmas, unfortunately earning income to help lessen my debt load is also very important.

Sounds mature to me.

We had a presentation from the director for Sullivan Nicolaides today at a Pathology conference in Sydney.

He said that they have huge shortage of Pathologists at S&N and so they have been training medical scientists/medical students to do Pathology cut ups. Seems like the info I got turned out to be true.

My suggestion is if/when you decide to come to Brisbane you should drop by with your resume. If you can keep this job while you're in med school and work full time in summers you should make way more then what you would have been paid for the research in Canada.

http://www.snp.com.au/

When are you going to make the decision to start medical school in Oz? 2010 or 2011?

Sounds mature to me.

We had a presentation from the director for Sullivan Nicolaides today at a Pathology conference in Sydney.

He said that they have huge shortage of Pathologists at S&N and so they have been training medical scientists/medical students to do Pathology cut ups. Seems like the info I got turned out to be true.

My suggestion is if/when you decide to come to Brisbane you should drop by with your resume. If you can keep this job while you're in med school and work full time in summers you should make way more then what you would have been paid for the research in Canada.

http://www.snp.com.au/

When are you going to make the decision to start medical school in Oz? 2010 or 2011?

I will be starting in 2010 as long as I get accepted somewhere in Oz! =)
Thanks for the information!

Looks like they are in Queensland, so I should be able to go there by public transport.

Thanks for the link!

I will be starting in 2010 as long as I get accepted somewhere in Oz! =)
Thanks for the information!

Looks like they are in Queensland, so I should be able to go there by public transport.

Thanks for the link!

No worries.

Yep they are based in Brisbane which is why I posted the info about them. It seems like they have offices elsewhere, and there are many other private labs out there.

My suggestion would be even if you don't have any luck with them you should approach other private labs. The key is to think outside the box, because really by law the jobs really should be for Australians first. So you will have to go for jobs that most wouldn't have thought about/heard of.