Working in Australia as an Ophthalmologist being an OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naeglerio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Spanish fully trained ophthalmologist. I did all my training (medical school and residency) in Spain, with (quite) short stages both in the US and Germany during my residency. Right now and after a few years practicing in Spain I am working and living in France. I also did an MBA at Duke (US), though I would say that´s not very relevant to my case here.

Trying to find spots where me and my family (wife who is a nurse and, for the moment being, one baby) could maximize our quality of life, Australia seems to rank pretty high.

Retrieving information from different sources it looks like getting registration as an ophthalmologist in Australia could be something from mildly to truly hard. Maybe even impossible.

I would like to assess my chances before I commit the time, effort and money to start. That´s why I´d love to get the help and opinions of anyone that can have experience with this or similar subjects. Also, any information regarding ophthalmology in Australia is welcome.

I think we would be happy living in one of the cities (or its whereabouts) in the north of the country or any other (relatively) remote region outside the main big cities if that could help.

Members don't see this ad.