World Cup starts today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Real sports don't end in 0-0 ties as we saw today in your premier event. Real sports have overtime periods where someone scores and they have a winner and a loser. Real sports have a clock which winds down and says the game is over. Not a ref who decides to add however many minutes because someone rolled around on the ground pretending to have a broken shin.

You may not advance over a team that you beat because they scored more goals against another team.Even the most ardent soccer fan has got to find this ridiculous.

Games can be decided by penalty kicks. Even the World Cup. They should play until someone scores.

The best athletes don't play soccer. It is not a sport where one has to be athletically gifted. Every kid on the planet can do it. It's the lowest common denominator sport.
:sendoff:

Members don't see this ad.

Also it has unfortunately become chic to like soccer here for some reason.

Since when is it "chic" to follow the most popular sport in the world?

Soccer in the US was a novelty in the 80's and 90's. I'll give you that much. But the fact of the matter is that the rift between the hardcore soccer fans and the boarish "soccer is for foreign pansies" crowd is disappearing.

Last edited:
For being such a train wreck through CONCACAF qualification, Mexico is pulling it together at the right time.
I still don't see them getting far, but they haven't embarrassed themselves like many predicted they would.

Members don't see this ad :)
O ya the good old "melting pot". This "melting pot" is much different from the melting pot you were taught back when you were a kiddie. Todays melting pot is used to bring in foreign workers legally and illegally because they will work for less than Americans and expect less in return. This is a discussion for another thread if you would like to begin it.

In the good old days we just kidnapped Africans and enslaved them. Or after that when we brought the Chinese in because they'd build the railroad for cheap while being blown up by dynamite here and there. Or after than when we brought the Irish in because they'd work the coalmines for cheap while being crushed inside giant caves here and there. Or then after that when we brought the Italians and Polish in and they'd work in hellish conditions in industry forging steel or whatever...and so on. Its always been like that. And today, they have many more protections than ever before. Caesar Chavez did a pretty good job of permanently ending the hard abuse of migrant laborers in a massive numbers. You'll have abusive employers here and there, but its not like it used to be at all, not even close.

--------

You should probably just stop posting. Making fun of soccer is some early 00s nonsense. It went out about the same time as the acceptability of gay slurs and wearing cargo shorts. Its sort of cute in a way. People like you actually still exist. But you just sound like some 60 year old idiot whining about kids these days and their hip hop pogo stick vidya games mixed wit Donald Sterling.

Also, the game Monday night got better ratings than any of the games of the NBA playoffs. People in this country are starting to like soccer. Just accept it and ignore it if you don't like it.

And while I'm thinking about it, why is Donovan not in Brazil? Was his performance falling off THAT much not to bring him at all??

I seriously doubt it has anything to so with Munich, pure conjecture.

2 months ago Donovan stated himself he couldn't finish a proper training session and didn't know if he'd make the squad. I saw a pic of him 2 days before squad lists were due and the guy had a gut. His 6month hiatus during our qualifying didn't help either Yeah it hurt, but I trust Klinnsman.

Real sports have a clock which winds down and says the game is over. Not a ref who decides to add however many minutes because someone rolled around on the ground pretending to have a broken shin.

How long does it take for the last 1 minute on a basketball game's clock to play? 20 minutes? If you tell me a soccer game starts at 3:00PM, I can guess more accurately what time it will end than if I tell you that there's 5 minutes left on the clock of a football game.

You may not advance over a team that you beat because they scored more goals against another team.Even the most ardent soccer fan has got to find this ridiculous.

Except that you both played all the same teams.

Baseball requires much more skill. Have you ever tried to hit a baseball? Particularly one pitched by a major leaguer at 96mph? It requires an incredible amount of hand eye coordination. It's not something many are born with. However nearly everyone is born with the ability to kick and run.

Have you ever tried to get a soccer ball from someone who can handle it? Or take a ball past them? It is at least as difficult as hitting a baseball, and much more likely that you will fall and look like an idiot in the process.

Running a lot and kicking a ball does not require much athleticism. Ocho Cinco is a poor example. He is lazy. By harder he means running a lot. Also it has unfortunately become chic to like soccer here for some reason. He is just sucking up. Heck he needs a job pretty bad. He's broke.

Baseball requires much more skill. Have you ever tried to hit a baseball? Particularly one pitched by a major leaguer at 96mph? It requires an incredible amount of hand eye coordination. It's not something many are born with. However nearly everyone is born with the ability to kick and run.

No perfect example. When the NFL lockout occurred 3-4 years ago, Ocho Cinco tried out with MLS's Sporting Kansas City. When I saw the practice tapes of him dribbling and shooting the ball my day was made because it was the strangest/funniest thing i'd seen since "Bibotelli."

For someone so athletically gifted he could not keep the ball without getting dispossessed, first touches bounced off him like a brick wall, and his shots on goal were field goals. Not only that, his shooting form was awkward at best, comparable to novice players

If running and kicking does not require athleticism, then neither does catching and throwing

I was just passing by the "unread" section, but Unchained is an idiot if he thinks you don't have to be athaletic to play soccer. The best players on my teams were the ones who were multisport athletes, usually in football, basketball, or hockey.

To add on, I'd like to see Unchained kick a ball around and play with a JV team. He'd be lost out there. The reason soccer players are so amazing is because they make the game look so easy. Yes, anyone can run and kick a ball, but try doing what they're doing at the level of competition they're playing. It makes perfect sense to say, I can't dunk a basketball, therefore I wouldn't be very good in the NBA; that's a tangible measurement. But when you see Messi or Ronaldo weaving through defenders and scoring goals against world class athaletes, it just looks like something anyone could do. Also, try practicing your first touch on a ball. That's a skill that takes years to perfect, and when you're going full speed in a real game, it has to be second nature.

Take a look at the Shaq vs. series, where he does soccer. I know he wasn't in his prime, but it takes a lot more athaletcism, skill, and intellect than you think.

I forgot to mention the scarves the fans wear. Super lame. Also how the teams ***** themselves out by putting sponsors right on the jerseys. The fans get to walk around looking like billboards.

Everyone plays soccer when they're young because kicking and running are simple. When they grow up the best athletes move on to basketball, football, and baseball because they require skill.

I've heard soccer is the next big thing for like 20 years. The only reason it is gaining momentum here at all is for the commercial value.

WVUPHARM I'm not one to jump on the latest trend. I have beliefs and principles. If something comes along and it looks interesting I get involved or pay attention. Soccer was boring in the 00's and it's still boring now. I'll let you'll jump on board the next trend. Hey I hear bell bottom pants are making a comeback. Gay marriage is trending up.

I forgot to mention the scarves the fans wear. Super lame. Also how the teams ***** themselves out by putting sponsors right on the jerseys. The fans get to walk around looking like billboards.

Everyone plays soccer when they're young because kicking and running are simple. When they grow up the best athletes move on to basketball, football, and baseball because they require skill.

I've heard soccer is the next big thing for like 20 years. The only reason it is gaining momentum here at all is for the commercial value.

WVUPHARM I'm not one to jump on the latest trend. I have beliefs and principles. If something comes along and it looks interesting I get involved or pay attention. Soccer was boring in the 00's and it's still boring now. I'll let you'll jump on board the next trend. Hey I hear bell bottom pants are making a comeback. Gay marriage is trending up.
Yup. Scarves are certainly the dumbest sport fan attire.

cheese_hat.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention the scarves the fans wear. Super lame.

Scarves are awesome. I own about 50 of them.

Nah.

Basketball and soccer are about equal if we are talking point guard to field player. It took me years to perfect my crossover, counter-cross, and spin. And it takes years to perfect a good corner kick or curving free kick. I can see that.

Football can take skill. Being a defensive player isn't that hard. I did it in high school. Chase ball, tackle dude. Not that hard. QB and RB take a lot of skill. Offensive lineman takes more skill than one would think, there are a ton of hand and movement techniques that need repped over and over. I tried playing soccer here and there with friends over the last few years. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder than it looks to play at a high level. You have no idea. I've given up on ever being as good as them. It's not going not happen.

And baseball? Really? Baseball barely requires any skill at all. I used to be an All-Star playing that **** back in Pony League. I got a "Parkersburg All-Stars" shirt with my name on the back somewhere around here to prove it. I never practiced it in offseason. The easiest sport there is. Batting, easy, fielding, easy. Bleh. I played center field. Run to the ball. Catch it. Throw it. That's pretty much the extent of it. A joke of a sport barely above bowling and golf.

Again, the US game got higher ratings than any of the games in the NBA Finals. It was the second highest rated cable event this year after the BCS National Championship. There is no waiting. It's already here. And with the country about to become 30% Hispanic by 2040, its pretty much guaranteed to only get bigger.

Nah, you're just old. Or regressive. Whichever. I'm the opposite. I'm waiting on the rest of the world to catch up with me. I'm always 5 steps ahead. People follow me. Not because I'm me, I'm just able to read the tea leaves. I can't help it. I'm just trying to warn you. But my thoughts on the world typically become conventional wisdom like 5 years after I have said thought.

I decided to go to a soccer game in 2010 because Philly got an MLS team. I saw it live. I liked it. When you see it n person, it makes sense. The supporters singing for 90 minutes. The shock of how much faster the game is in person vs on TV. The fantastic belligerence of soccer fans. I realized that its about to take over. American youth love the game. The counterculture loves it. And its here. I'm telling you. Ignore me at your own peril.

Other than soccer and basketball, most sports require quite a lot of money to get into from a young age.

Soccer all you need to learn is a ball and designate a goal at 2 ends using whatever you want as markers. Basketball all you need is a basketball and 2 hoops.

I was down in Anguilla and saw two kids playing soccer on the beach using two sticks for goals and they were having a blast. Makes me realize how we just use electronics waaaay to much in the US. I mean how many people are look back on their childhood and fondly remember that time they played on their Ipad that one afternoon.

geesh

and bonus points to the person listing Chili as the darkhorse

Adios Spana!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

The best athletes move on to those 3 sports because those are the highest paid sport. Honestly, if I had a son who could be an above average professional player in basketball, football, baseball, hockey, and soccer I'd persuade him to go to these sports in order (favored to least favored):

Baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, football.

Baseball is the best way to make money. Guaranteed contracts even if you get injured. No salary cap. Pretty long career compared to the other sports.

Want to make money? Have a son, teach him how to throw a baseball with his left land, take him to pitching school. Profit. If you are a lefty and can throw 90+ mph, you're pretty much set for life.

The best athletes move on to those 3 sports because those are the highest paid sport. Honestly, if I had a son who could be an above average professional player in basketball, football, baseball, hockey, and soccer I'd persuade him to go to these sports in order (favored to least favored):

Baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, football.

Baseball is the best way to make money. Guaranteed contracts even if you get injured. No salary cap. Pretty long career compared to the other sports.

Want to make money? Have a son, teach him how to throw a baseball with his left land, take him to pitching school. Profit. If you are a lefty and can throw 90+ mph, you're pretty much set for life.

I would put soccer over hockey - you make big bank overseas playing soccer, plus a lot less wear and tear on your body -

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/#tab:overall

not a single hockey player here.

I would put soccer over hockey - you make big bank overseas playing soccer, plus a lot less wear and tear on your body -

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/#tab:overall

not a single hockey player here.

Yeah, my mistake.

Actually I'd put golf and tennis up there too as a highly paid sports. Some car racers are up there too, but it's expensive to get into.

Boxing, **** no, too many head injuries there.

Yeah, my mistake.

Actually I'd put golf and tennis up there too as a highly paid sports. Some car racers are up there too, but it's expensive to get into.

hell no on boxing -

Yeah, my mistake.

Agreed on tennis. That's my sport of choice to play.

Well, the end of yesterday's match was certainly a kick in the stomach :arghh: Four points is better than three, but when they had six points all but wrapped up, it stings.

And what is wrong with Michael Bradley? He is the best player on the team, but he has looked terrible in Brazil.

Beat Ghana and tied Portugal.

People are complaining.

Hilarious.

Agreed. This is the best result I felt I could have hoped for going into the match. That being said, it does hurt to see the US tie a game that they had wrapped up. I also expected Germany to beat Ghana, making the POR v GHA match less important in terms of US advancing.

Beat Ghana and tied Portugal.

People are complaining.

Hilarious.

Having the matches go off at the same time prevents a repeat of the West Germany v. Austria match in 1982 where they both conspired to screw Algeria.
Germany is not going to lie down and play for a tie.

I still feel good about advancing (the -4GD for Portugal helps), but felt better before Portugal headed home the equalizer.

I'm not worried. I've seen the US at 75-80% odds to get into the knockout. As I did a few weeks go, I think they make it.

Looking forward to Chile vs Netherlands today.

New "after actually seeing the teams" dark horse is Colombia. They are skilled and incredibly fast.

Our coach in from Germany - if us and Germany draw - we both go through - I say they meet at a pub and agree to just kick the ball back and forth and take a 0-0 draw and move on- while resting.

ya, I know , will never happen, but I wouldn't complain if it did

Our coach in from Germany - if us and Germany draw - we both go through - I say they meet at a pub and agree to just kick the ball back and forth and take a 0-0 draw and move on- while resting.

ya, I know , will never happen, but I wouldn't complain if it did

I don't think either team will be willing to lay down and allow a draw. However, with the fact that a draw would see both teams to the knockout round, I think we can expect to see much more conservative gameplay from both sides. Portugal and Ghana, however, both need wins by large margins if they hope to advance at all. Expect both teams to leave it all on the field. That should be a fun game to watch.

I don't think either team will be willing to lay down and allow a draw. However, with the fact that a draw would see both teams to the knockout round, I think we can expect to see much more conservative gameplay from both sides. Portugal and Ghana, however, both need wins by large margins if they hope to advance at all. Expect both teams to leave it all on the field. That should be a fun game to watch.
I know neither team will give it up easily - a win means winning the group and playing algeria vs belgium - obviously a difference. But correct me if I am wrong - Ghana does not need to win by a large margin unless the US beats Germany. If Germany beats USA, and ghana wins - we will be ties with 4 points, goal differential will be at best tied (we right now are +1 and they are -1). What is the next tie breaker? head to head? a two goal differential in either game means Ghana advances.

Tie break rules:
1. Goal differential in group
2. Number of goals scored in group
3. Head to head results

That's usually enough to break the tie; after that, there are a few more iterations (in the event of a three way tie), followed by a coin flip. A coin flip!!

It's never gotten to a coin flip, but came close once: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_E

Last edited:
Tie break rules:
1. Goal differential in group
2. Number of goals scored in group
3. Head to head results

That's usually enough to break the tie; after that, there are a few more iterations (in the event of a three way tie), followed by a coin flip. A coin flip!!

It's never gotten to a coin flip, but came close one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_E

never should be a coin flip - you gotta come up with something better? Like a gladiator fight to the death, or hot dog eating contest, something!!!!

I know neither team will give it up easily - a win means winning the group and playing algeria vs belgium - obviously a difference. But correct me if I am wrong - Ghana does not need to win by a large margin unless the US beats Germany. If Germany beats USA, and ghana wins - we will be ties with 4 points, goal differential will be at best tied (we right now are +1 and they are -1). What is the next tie breaker? head to head? a two goal differential in either game means Ghana advances.

Ghana does not have to win by as large of a margin as Portugal, But they have to make up 3 goals between how much germany beats us and how much they beat portugal. A combo of beating Port by 1 and US losing by 1 would most likely lead to a tie in everything except for for head-to-head, which favors the US.

Ghana does not have to win by as large of a margin as Portugal, But they have to make up 3 goals between how much germany beats us and how much they beat portugal. A combo of beating Port by 1 and US losing by 1 would most likely lead to a tie in everything except for for head-to-head, which favors the US.

If Ghana wins 1-0 and US loses 1-0, US will advance based on head-to-head result
If Ghana wins 2-1 and US loses 1-0, Ghana will advance based on goals scored

2 different scenarios with a 1 goal margin in each game, yet different outcomes as far as tie-breaker... Needless to say I will be watching the Portugal/Ghana game almost as closely as the US game

If Ghana wins 1-0 and US loses 1-0, US will advance based on head-to-head result
If Ghana wins 2-1 and US loses 1-0, Ghana will advance based on goals scored

2 different scenarios with a 1 goal margin in each game, yet different outcomes as far as tie-breaker... Needless to say I will be watching the Portugal/Ghana game almost as closely as the US game

Same here. Ghana cannot afford to play like the US will be held scoreless and that they 'ONLY' need 2 goals. They are going to be on the attack the whole game. And so wil portugal. It should be fun to watch.

on to the knock out rounds - and gotta say, I think the belgium - US game will be a toss up - belgium is not looking like a world beater by any means

Missed the game because of work today. :(

Costa Rica vs. Greece was a hell of a game. A game tie in the last two minutes by greece, followed by 30 minutes of no win overtime; with Costa Rica winning on the last set of 5 kickoffs. Insane.

You wouldn't believe the insane celebration here. Roving bands of people in the streets, fireworks, hundreds of thousands gathered in the Capitol. Insane.

Well balls. And not soccer balls.

Well, that was unfortunate. We had no business hanging around in a scoreless match. I've never been a Tim Howard fan- I thought he was competent, but overrated. No more.

Time to jump onto someone else's bandwagon. Let's go...Costa Rica?

I expect them to put up a hell of a fight, but no one thought they would ever make it this far in the world cup. I've heard Netherlands is pretty tough though.

Any one keeping up with Wimbledon?

That game today doe.

So happy to not only see brazil lose, but lose 7-1!!!!!!!