Worried about matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCMED101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just finished third year and I am fairly depressed. I feel like I won't match into anesthesia with my grades so far. My step 1 was below average at 225 and did terrible in third year. I got all passes except one high pass in OB/GYN. I got good evals, just shelfs always seemed to bring me down (was close to cutoffs for high pass in all situations). I am hoping to do well on step 2, but will 3rd year grades and step 1 be the end of me?

Edit: US grad

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. You will match. Your numbers are fine; check out the charting outcomes on the NRMP website to look at your chance of matching.

...I did it for you. Amongst the applicants with a step 1 between 221 and 230, 226 matched a four didn't. (Assuming you're a US grad)

Reactions: 1 user
So just finished third year and I am fairly depressed. I feel like I won't match into anesthesia with my grades so far. My step 1 was below average at 225 and did terrible in third year. I got all passes except one high pass in OB/GYN. I got good evals, just shelfs always seemed to bring me down (was close to cutoffs for high pass in all situations). I am hoping to do well on step 2, but will 3rd year grades and step 1 be the end of me?

Edit: US grad
Just apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't match Stanford or Hopkins but there are plenty of programs out there that will be happy to take you. You're below average but not every anesthesiology program is above average.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh dear, this must be the first of many of these posts. You appear to be fine no major red flags - a "terrible" 3rd year in my opinion would have multiple failures, or low pass (or whichever strange scale your school uses). If you think you can nail Step 2, absolutely take it early as a good score can only help you (some programs look at the score, some quite honestly don't really care [full disclosure: mine cares about it, especially if there is a BIG improvement over Step 1]).

Agree with all of the above (and applies for just about everyone applying these days): make sure to apply broadly, including some community-based programs if you are that worried about it. Talk with your home program as well (if you have one).