Worst Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know very much about how to judge medical schools. I do believe that there are objective methods for evaluating if a school is optimal for you. I think that these criteria do include: location, tuition fees, reputation, training.

I'm not naming schools; I do think that some schools may not be as well-favored as others. Some of these schools may have suffered from accreditation problems, while others are (maybe mistakenly) thought of as inferior, even within the medical community. Even if the school is good (I'm never quite sure what that means), I think that the perceived quality of the school should not be dismissed as entirely trivial.

For an exaggerated example; University of where? Where's that, brazil?
vs. Oh, THAT university, that's good, you must be smart!

Alternatively, I think that for many people this does not matter to them. I honestly believe the medical education of schools are fairly comparable, but I think that the rest of the world just likes to organize things, albeit unfairly and sometimes even incorrectly, into a hierarchy.

btw isidella, i remember the ratings do go all the way to ~104, the year i looked it was puerto rico, uh som, u mass, finch, it seemed pretty random though.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. First post on these boards. I gotta pipe in:

University of Hawaii pretty much sucks. Facilities: almost non-existent. Library: one bookcase (literally). No hospital. They keep getting put on probation. Total PBL- you may like that, I don't. And I seem to remember something about anatomy being OPTIONAL- WTF??? I wasn't even shown the anatomy lab.
The only reason someone sane should go there is if 1) it's the only place they get in, 2) they are from there and can't imagine moving, or 3) they have psoriasis so severe that only constant sun and salt water will keep them from frightening people. Okay, so it's very pretty there, but still- out of state tuition and high cost of living kill it for any non-resident, I think.

FatCat

The cat that makes dogs go running home to mama

Why should you care if a medical school is "bad".....all you should care is about that MD degree.

FYI, you can get an MD from howard or OU and be the dean of harvard medical school or the u.s. surgeon general.

FYI, you can get an MD from harvard or columbia and be the director of southwest community hospital

An MD is an MD....Not a OU MD or Harvard MD.

To all those elite school geeks :D .....i have no time for counterpoints...so don't bother arguing that an harvard MD is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a message posted on the University of Hawaii Burns School of Medicine web page:

October 28, 2002

TO: All Prospective Applicants

Senior Associate Dean
Chair, Admissions Committee

Good news! The John A. Burns School of Medicine continues to be
fully accredited!

On October 23, 2002, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education
(LCME) notified Dr. Evan Dobelle, President of the University of
Hawaii, that the accrediting body of the American Association on
Medical Colleges (AAMC) ?voted to rescind its original decision to
place on probation the education program leading to the M.D. degree
at the John A. Burns School of Medicine.?

On October 24 there was a groundbreaking ceremony for a $150
million new medical school campus. We are looking at a bright
future with unlimited potentials in medical education and research.
Thank you for applying to the John A. Burns School of Medicine.
Your interest in our school is much appreciated.

This school MUST be pretty crappy. :p

Tufts would have to be up there for crappy schools that charge a lot and are soooo ivy league want-to-be. Just because you're in Boston, doesn't mean that you're similar to Harvard. :laugh:

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
"I've only heard good things about UIC..It's the 3rd best medical school in chicago, behind pritzker (1) and northwestern (2)."

Sorry, but UIC's #3 in Chicago according to what?
Loyola is much more sought after than UIC. I know none of this is scientific, but if you look at the admissions rates, Loyola's is also more selective.

I'd rank Illinois schools in this order:
University of Chicago
Northwestsern
Loyola of Chicago
University of Illinois (but the Urbana school is generally more well thought of than the UIC...and ranked higher than UIC if anyone cares about school rankings.)

other SDN "worst school" favorites are Temple (recent accreditation pulled)
Irlandesa,
Temple is one of the more well-respected schools on this message board. I've read time and again how their clinical training is really second to none in the country.

I also don't think their Accreditation was removed. I think they are on warning and will be reviewed next year. There's a thread about this and the reason for probabtion was that their new 50 million dollar medical school plans were submitted too late to appease the review committee who thought that their facilities needed an update.

It's kind of sad, because within a few years, they'll probably have the nicest facilities around, yet they're currently on probabation. HOW IRONIC ! :eek:

Originally posted by Nirvana
Tufts would have to be up there for crappy schools that charge a lot and are soooo ivy league want-to-be. Just because you're in Boston, doesn't mean that you're similar to Harvard. :laugh:

And there it goes. Thanks for ruining an otherwise delightful Thursday. :laugh:

Just curious... to the people who put Loma Linda on the list of worst medical schools, is it mostly due to the religious affiliations of the school?

Originally posted by shamthis
And there it goes. Thanks for ruining an otherwise delightful Thursday. :laugh:

Irene delete this ******** thread.

way to curse, idiot. Tufts is on the list for worst med schools. So?

If i were to start a thread entitled, "Worst Thread Ever?" I would nominate this one.

Et tu, Blitzkreig?

I know your reputation has been dwindling 'round here over the past few months, but gees. Give me a break.

Why the curse? I'll tell you why; this thread has the design to insult, belittle, and undermine the goals of others. Whereas this network was probably created to instruct, inform, and advise, this thread only inflames.

Originally posted by shamthis
Et tu, Blitzkreig?

I know your reputation has been dwindling 'round here over the past few months, but gees. Give me a break.

Why the curse? I'll tell you why; this thread has the design to insult, belittle, and undermine the goals of others. Whereas this network was probably created to instruct, inform, and advise, this thread only inflames.

my reputation has been dwindling? :laugh: Among liberals, yes.

Your reasoning for abusing God's name does nothing but insult, belittle, and undermine the name of God, and the beliefs of those that respect God's name. It hardly is used in order to instruct, inform, or advise, and only inflames your position.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
my reputation has been dwindling? :laugh: Among liberals, yes.

Your reasoning for abusing God's name does nothing but insult, belittle, and undermine the name of God, and the beliefs of those that respect God's name. It hardly is used in order to instruct, inform, or advise, and only inflames your position.

Never heard anything more rigoddamndiculous in my life

hope that helps

P 'playing devil's advocate' ShankOut

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dr.Tong

hope that helps

aah, even as a practicing Jew, I still found that pretty damn funny. Blitzkreig...get over yourself. The word god is used as a generic term by almost all religions. Something tells me you wouldn't be getting all huffy if someone used Ganesh or Allah instead yet many people equally respect those names as those of the god you worship.

Originally posted by pillowhead
aah, even as a practicing Jew, I still found that pretty damn funny. Blitzkreig...get over yourself. The word god is used as a generic term by almost all religions. Something tells me you wouldn't be getting all huffy if someone used Ganesh or Allah instead yet many people equally respect those names as those of the god you worship.
Shhhh. Don't mention to Blitzkreig that you're Jewish. He doesn't think that Jewish people go to Heaven: :rolleyes:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46180&highlight=jews+heaven

Originally posted by pillowhead

word yo.

Originally posted by hipplayer
This is a message posted on the University of Hawaii Burns School of Medicine web page:
--cut--
Good news! The John A. Burns School of Medicine continues to be
fully accredited!
--cut--
On October 24 there was a groundbreaking ceremony for a $150
million new medical school campus. We are looking at a bright
future with unlimited potentials in medical education and research.

This school MUST be pretty crappy. :p

That wasn't their first time on probation. They appear to be fighting it every year.

The new campus won't be ready till sometime at the end of the decade, so incoming students this year will only get to be bitter about what they won't have.

No way to know how good the new facilities or future faculty will be until that actually comes to pass. Right now, the school sucks.

Why is Tufts on the list?
It's a top 50 school even according to the damn good-for-nothing USNews.
What, cause it's in Boston it has to live up to Harvard?

BTW, I have no current or future affiliation with Tufts, I'm just curious.

And, isidella, you are correct - USNews only has the Top 50 list, everyone else is the "leftover pile".

Yeah, and I'm still waiting to hear why U. of Louisville is on the list. I have never heard anything negative about the school said on here before, so I can't imagine how it could be one of the 15 worst med schools. MacGuyver doesnt seem to want to back up his or her choices, but if anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Originally posted by MacGyver
.....[stupid comments/stupid list]....
Marshall University (didnt even know this school existed)
Mercer University
Northeastern Ohio (didnt know it existed)
....[more of stupid list]

man, if I was making a list of "crappy" med schools and the fact that I didn't know they existed was the only criterion that I used, it would be a very freaking long list. Wash U would probably have been at the top of it a year ago, I mean come on whys it called that, its not even in Washington or DC!?!?
also, I think Princeton has a piss poor med school.

Originally posted by doctor girl
Shhhh. Don't mention to Blitzkreig that you're Jewish. He doesn't think that Jewish people go to Heaven: :rolleyes:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46180&highlight=jews+heaven

oh, i live in the bible belt of GA. I'm used to people telling me I'm going to hell. It stopped really bothering me a long time ago. The way I see it, all the fun people are going to hell, so I'll have a grand time there meeting up with my family, my best friend, my boyfriend, etc. Besides I don't want to be stuck for an eternity somewhere with people like Blitzkreig. Now that'd be hell!

Plus I find it difficult to believe I'm going somewhere I don't really believe in. It's like someone telling me I'm going to Atlantis. Sure I am...

fair enough, I can admit that Tufts is kind of an Ivy League wannabe school, and I go there. But to be entirely fair, so is BU, by virtue of being in the same city and being nearly as expensive as Tufts. And there are plenty of schools that would love to be the equivalent of Hah-vahd, namely every school not in the Top 10 rankings for US NEws:D

oh yeah, I meant no offense about Temple, I just meant that it gets bashed by other people on here a lot. I wouldn't have minded going there for med school at all.. Same with NYMC and just about any school not in el Caribe (and hey, they have their merits too, I just wouldn't go to one myself).

Originally posted by Dr.Tong

hope that helps

Eek!!! ONE indianboy is ENOUGH !!