Worst/or most funny interview moments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
at my san antonio interview, my interviewer tried to hook me up with a resident lol! told me his entire bio, introduced me, and then asked me wat i think of arranged marriages lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
man, what a great thread. I never had these interesting things happen to me my interviews were pretty tame compared to the ones posted here a total :sleep:

Mine is more of a 'worst' moment rather than a 'funny' one. This was 2 years a go, though, at a Canadian School.

Out of sheer nervousness, I started playing with a piece of paper while at my interview. At one point, it flew out of my hands and almost hit the person sitting in front of me. :oops:

Suffice it to say that I've been trying to get into that school for the past 3 years!!

oh man that's hilarious!! what school was this, if you don't mind sharing?

I was the first to interview in my group of 12. After being led back to the general room, I waited as others were called back for their turns.

Then, some hippy-looking interviewer came into the room and leaned against the door. Staring at his sheet he tried to pronounce the name of a foreign interviewee and ended up giggling to himself. The poor kid finally realized he was Mr. Waaeng, Wing, woon, wang - whatever - and stood up. The interviewer laughs and said "sorry man, must be all the weed."

Needless to say, all us nervous prospectives were speechless! I wish I was interviewed by that guy :rolleyes:

So this isn't that funny or bad...but at my Case interview, I took a red eye in so I arrived at 7:30. I grabbed a coffee on my way. Well half way through my interview (with the dean of admissions) I had to pee. So in the middle of my interview I had to ask to be excused, and he had to show me where the bathroom was...like I was a little kid, I felt so embarrassed at the time. I did get accepted though so I guess he understood.

you must have showed him your tatoo

I was at my first interview (ASDOH) and I accidentally called Dr. Altman Dan instead of Don (on top of that I didn't even say Dr.) We all laughed about it later. There was this kid there that kept nodding and saying out loud yea or yep or uh huh after everything Dr. Altman was saying. The whole time I could not concentrate bc of this kid. So when we were doing group presentations this kid made up a word and Dr. Altman called him out on it and he responds, "well at least I didn't call you by the wrong name!" I just about took that kid outside... It was good to laugh about it later. I hold no grudge if you are out there buddy.
Needless to say ASDOH is the only school that I interviewed at that I have not been accepted to and it was one of my top choices if not the top choice.

that guy who said that about you sounds like a douche bag....you weren't even involved in the conversion....he said someone ******ed and got called out on it, and then to take the heat off his own stupid comments he drags you in and says at least he didn't screw up as much as you.....congrats buddy, you are a douche bag......you the man.....you should have had words with that guy.

in terms of my own interview experiences.......lets just say I'm brutally honest even when i shouldn't be.....I've gotten looks from a table of 6 interviewers that would make chuck norris cry and start handing out mad style wicked rapid fire round house kicks.:cool:

So it was my very first interview and I was extremely nervous. Furthermore, I was interviewed by 2 faculties at the same time to make matters even worse. My mind was just completely blank.

Interviewer: So what's the most recent non-fiction book you've read?
Me: Uhhhh...well... (stuttering for over 5 seconds).
Me: My Cell Biology textbook?
Interviewer: You can't say textbook.
-----Awkward Silence-----

Later on...

Interviewer: Is our school your first choice?
Me: Uhhhh...no.. (face getting very red)
Interviewer: No?
Me: I mean, I would definitely weigh my options and your school does seem very impressive (me going for a save).
Interviewer: But it's not your first choice. Where else would you attend if you were accepted?
Me: School X...BUT I really like your school!
Interviewer: OK.
-----Another Awkward Silence-----

During lunch...
I was sitting with fellow interviewers as well as the Dean. I was still very nervous so I didn't talk at all. After seeing this, the Dean decided to talk to me in attempt to open me up.

Dean: So who interviewed you?
Me: (I don't remember their names! I DON'T REMEMBER THEIR NAMES!)...that guy and that lady (pointing at my interviewers sitting at other tables).
Dean: Oh.
-----Awkward Silence number 3-----

Needless to say, I wasn't accepted.

hahaha-lulz.jpg

Well, figured i'd share one of my own after having a good laugh at other people's expense.

Her: Seems like rock climbing is high on your list. What's your favorite area to do this ?
Me: Probably the Gunks in New York.
Her: Ah, I've been there before. It has nice hiking trails.
Me: Sure does. Some of those trails lead directly to some great climbing routes and problems.
Her: So, which of those are your favorite routes or problems ?
Me: {Crap. A lot of my favorite routes have raunchy names}. There are so many of them.. besides, some of the names might not be appropriate to say. {Please sense my trepidation, and let it go}
Her: Try me. {Double crap}
Me: Well...uhhh - Stout baby hole.
Her: That doesn't sound so bad to me.
Me: {Laughing} That's a good thing. I wasn't sure how you'd have responded if I said stout ***** out loud. {oh crap, no I didn't just say that}
Her: {Raises her eyebrow and chuckles}
Me: {Me, Probably turning tomato red.}

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, figured i'd share one of my own after having a good laugh at other people's expense.

Her: Seems like rock climbing is high on your list. What's your favorite area to do this ?
Me: Probably the Gunks in New York.
Her: Ah, I've been there before. It has nice hiking trails.
Me: Sure does. Some of those trails lead directly to some great climbing routes and problems.
Her: So, which of those are your favorite routes or problems ?
Me: {Crap. A lot of my favorite routes have raunchy names}. There are so many of them.. besides, some of the names might not be appropriate to say. {Please sense my trepidation, and let it go}
Her: Try me. {Double crap}
Me: Well...uhhh - Stout baby hole.
Her: That doesn't sound so bad to me.
Me: {Laughing} That's a good thing. I wasn't sure how you'd have responded if I said stout ***** out loud. {oh crap, no I didn't just say that}
Her: {Raises her eyebrow and chuckles}
Me: {Me, Probably turning tomato red.}

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Hahaha. Awesome.

at my san antonio interview, my interviewer tried to hook me up with a resident lol! told me his entire bio, introduced me, and then asked me wat i think of arranged marriages lol!

To think. This entire time, I thought you were a dude.

I: So, I read that you play the piano. What can you play?
M: Well, I took lessons for about five years, started when I was 7 and quit when I was 12. I hated it. I really haven't played much in about 12 years.
I: So, what can you play?
M: (STRUGGLING TO THINK OF ANY SONG), "you know that one charlie brown song?" (I start beat boxing the tune)
I: silence....

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I don't know why I find this so funny!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

More awkward and boneheaded than than anything. I felt about as awesome as this kid felt.

kid-soccer-balls.jpg
Man, Montserrat where are you getting these great pics from. They are totally awesome

correct--im pakistani
Hahahaa. I'm guessing you are Indian/Pakistani? The same thing happened to my best friend at one of her interviews (I don't remember which school it was). :laugh::laugh:

Hey, Loved, that "weed" comment was from University of Buffalo in New York ;)

I don't mind arranged marriages if my parents going to hook me up w/ some hot chick...just saying..

The mere thought of interviews makes my stomach tie up in a knot. Brr.

Sorry Jigabodo, that is some awkward interview. Jeez. :-/

It sure was. Don't make the same mistakes I did!
Yeah I have problems with being nervous sometimes. Not all the time, just some of the times. But if I get over that moment, I'm fine and I can calm myself down.

What would you advise? Should I take a shot or two before the interview so I'm all chill? :p

Yeah I have problems with being nervous sometimes. Not all the time, just some of the times. But if I get over that moment, I'm fine and I can calm myself down.

What would you advise? Should I take a shot or two before the interview so I'm all chill? :p

Depends on your alcohol tolerance...;)

Seriously though, the best advice I would say would be to practice mock interviews with your friends. Try to come up a list of difficult questions and answer them would help too.

Arranged marriages are more or less obsolete now, it seems. :p
I haven't heard of one in quite some time, even in Pakistan. I guess thats good. I've never been in favor of them.

I: *Interviewer glancing at ring on my finger* So you're engaged?
Me: Yes I am.
I: What does your finace do?
Me: Well the truth is that he's a writer - uhm, but he didn't write my personal statement for me. I wrote that. (I'm always nervous people will think he wrote it for me b/c he writes for a living)
I: Oh. Why are you so defensive? I have no reason to believe that you didn't write it!
Me: Oh, sorry. I'm always afraid people assume he wrote it for me.
I: Do you think people assume he will do your work for you in dental school too?
Me: Uh. No.

*conversation continues*

I: I just got married last summer - where do you guys plan to spend your honeymoon?
Me: Oh, well we've narrowed it down to South Africa or New Zealand, but we're both leaning toward New Zealand because we've heard and read alot of things about the unfriendly people in South Africa and how unsafe it can be to travel in some areas.
I: My wife is South African.
Me: *blank stare, turning red, trying to think of a way to back peddle out of this one* Really?
I: Yes, really.

didn't get into that school!

this is awesome how my "funny story" has led to a real discussion...but yea, i do want an arranged marriage sort of for me..b/c iv learned two things...1. guys are pretty fake when you first meet them-hitting all the shahrukh lines 2. I am very gullible...hence, i want my future husband to be thoroughly interrogated before i fall head over heals for him...franky...i wanna fall in love once.
Arranged marriages are more or less obsolete now, it seems. :p
I haven't heard of one in quite some time, even in Pakistan. I guess thats good. I've never been in favor of them.

this is awesome how my "funny story" has led to a real discussion...but yea, i do want an arranged marriage sort of for me..b/c iv learned two things...1. guys are pretty fake when you first meet them-hitting all the shahrukh lines 2. I am very gullible...hence, i want my future husband to be thoroughly interrogated before i fall head over heals for him...franky...i wanna fall in love once.

So, any sparks with the d-student you got introduced to? I think arranged marriages make sense in a lot of ways. Not the least of which is that your family/community is invested in the success of your marriage. Whoever said that arranged marriages don't happen anymore is on drugs.

That makes sense. But, yeah, those Shahrukh lines are always dangerous. Would be cool if you end up with someone who actually has his charm, though. :D

So, any sparks with the d-student you got introduced to? I think arranged marriages make sense in a lot of ways. Not the least of which is that your family/community is invested in the success of your marriage. Whoever said that arranged marriages don't happen anymore is on drugs.

Haha, I said that! :p

It SEEMS as if they don't happen as much as they used to, is what I was trying to imply, figuratively. To be honest, though, I've seen plenty of arranged marriages go down the drain, simple because of a lack of communication and understanding; don't know why it happens, but I've seen it. I guess it works differently for everyone.

Haha, I said that! :p

It SEEMS as if they don't happen as much as they used to, is what I was trying to imply, figuratively. To be honest, though, I've seen plenty of arranged marriages go down the drain, simple because of a lack of communication and understanding; don't know why it happens, but I've seen it. I guess it works differently for everyone.

So are you indian/pakistani? I guess marriage is just hard and that's all their is to it.
ps, I didn't mean you were literally on drugs, I think you're cool about it though.

i've seen some of my friends' parents' marriages where they date for 15 years, get hitched, then argue/divorced within a few years. then i've seen some marriages in my family where they are arranged, meet once, get married, and have been happy 30+ years.
i have faith in arranged marriages, but its not for me. i also believe there's something to be said for finding true love.

oh yeah, no interview stories here........HIJACKED!!!

haha no..he was a resident and not of hte same faith as me, so that pretty much finished that story lol...as for the shahrukh lines--theyr def appreciated :p...its just that i want the guy's credibility to be checked BEFORE i fall for his lines :laugh: so my husband better be charming or he'll fail the second test, me!

Me: Well the truth is that he's a writer - uhm, but he didn't write my personal statement for me. I wrote that. (I'm always nervous people will think he wrote it for me b/c he writes for a living)
I: Oh. Why are you so defensive? I have no reason to believe that you didn't write it!
I: Do you think people assume he will do your work for you in dental school too?

*conversation continues*

I: I just got married last summer - where do you guys plan to spend your honeymoon?
Me: Oh, well we've narrowed it down to South Africa or New Zealand, but we're both leaning toward New Zealand because we've heard and read alot of things about the unfriendly people in South Africa and how unsafe it can be to travel in some areas.
Me: *blank stare, turning red, trying to think of a way to back peddle out of this one* Really?

:laugh:Insert foot in mouth! Classic! Thanks for sharing!

*conversation continues*

Hilarious!

oh and dont forget, u gotta talk to my momma before u start singing :laugh:

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA IM ALL EARS--DO I HEAR "kuch kuch hota hain!" lolllllll

Damn! I wish I had applied to UCLA, because I sure as hell can sing that song! :D:D

So are you indian/pakistani? I guess marriage is just hard and that's all their is to it.
ps, I didn't mean you were literally on drugs, I think you're cool about it though.

Pakistani:)

what would make this even better is if you guys think im like butt-ugly when i actually meet you!

what would make this even better is if you guys think im like butt-ugly when i actually meet you!

Hum to seerat ko dekhtay hain, soorat ko nahin. ;)

now looki here, its shahrukh khan himself LOL im pretty convinced you would sing loll!

haha. Well, if UCLA has lots and lots of ' haryali ' for a KKHH-esque scene , I'm sooo there!:D

This thread is about to be locked, I'm sure.:p