Would anyone care to discuss career options with me? I'm a 26yo pre-med that graduated 3 years ago a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JosefK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 years ago I graduated from UGA with a biology major and minor in philosophy (in retrospect that sounds like the epitome of bad education choices given some statistics I've been made aware of since). I had OK grades, 3.55 gpa, 3.6 sGPA, research experience.

After graduating, I moved back in with my parents and worked at a restaurant for about a year, studying some for the MCAT and not really sure what the hell to do with myself. With the upturn in the economy, my father offered me some roofing work which I've been doing for the past two years (which frankly I enjoy, excluding the knowledge that it's a go-nowhere sort of field). Now I'm here, not really sure where I stand, or where I'm going. I don't think I have a chance at med school and I'm not even sure I would want it if I did, but I've heard good things about some allied health fields. I shadowed a wonderful anesthesiology assistant once and could see myself doing it, though I wonder if my degrees are a bit too stale to cook with.

Members don't see this ad.

Add in some clinical experience and your stats are on par with definitely applying MD. That said, if you're not sure you want medicine, its definitely not the kind of thing you "try out". Its a 7 year process at bare minimum before you're an attending if you do get in to med school, with a large debt if you don't finish or decide you dont want to do it anymore. You're not old by any means, either.

The question is less about whether you can or can't get in -- its very likely you'd get in somewhere unless you bomb the mcat. The bigger question is what do you want to do

Reactions: 1 user
You might enjoy EMS. It's a more blue collar job than the other allied health fields. Can be physically demanding, lots of autonomy, get to be out in the world and moving around instead of stuck in one place. Unfortunately it is also basically a go-nowhere sort of field right now in the US, though you can consider joining a FD if that's interesting to you.

You could get your EMT cert and do that for a while in addition to roofing. It's a low time/money investment to become an EMT, it'll look good if you decide to apply to med/PA school after all, and if you enjoy the field it could lead to a FD career (where in some places people make startling amounts of money for very few days of work).