Would you retake these scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GwBXtRTrVktW9E

DO Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
format: section: score (percentile)

Chemical/Physical Foundations: 129 (93%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 126 (70%)
Biological/Biochemical Foundations: 128 (87%)
Psych/Soc (get ready to cringe): 123 (32%)
Overall: 506 (71%)

The chem and bio scores are amazing, but I got brought down hard by the Psych/Soc section (mine was mostly sociology which I wasn't really prepared for). Would you retake these scores?

Members don't see this ad.

i was averaging around a 502 on practice exams, but I only took 4 of them

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going for MD or DO?

Kudos on the chem. I'm trying to break 90 on every section.

@Lawper if I'm going for an SMP would you advise me differently or no?

If you're aiming for DO, there is no need to apply for SMP, since you can always retake lower grades to improve your GPA. Regarding the MCAT requirements for SMP programs, it really depends on the individual program at hand.

You scored nearly 15 percentile points above your practice median. The chances of you scoring better than that on a second try without extensive study is very low. Retaking would be a mistake at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
You scored nearly 15 percentile points above your practice median. The chances of you scoring better than that on a second try without extensive study is very low. Retaking would be a mistake at this point.

For the new MCAT prep company practice test scores have been pretty deflated. People are often getting 10+ points higher on the actual exam compared to Kaplan tests and a little under that for TPR.

OP, what practice tests did you take and what was your AAMC FL score percentage?

Reactions: 1 user
Now this is really interesting because of the horribly bad score being in the new section that will likely be much less important to adcoms than the established sections. If you had a 32% in Bio for example a retake would be a no-brainer.

Considering your performance in the other sections I think you should study up on psych/socio (examcrackers is good I hear) and retake. My .02

Members don't see this ad :)
Now this is really interesting because of the horribly bad score being in the new section that will likely be much less important to adcoms than the established sections. If you had a 32% in Bio for example a retake would be a no-brainer.

Considering your performance in the other sections I think you should study up on psych/socio (examcrackers is good I hear) and retake. My .02
We are going to care about all sections.

Reactions: 1 users
For DO, I'd agree with my colleagues. No need for a retake.

Yes do a retake if you have the time and will power. I am in a similar situation. My Psych was a 124.. but idk if I have the will power...

@BeTheHappy1 did you also take it on 9/3?

I got a 503 on the AAMC FL.

@gyngyn so you would advise retaking? My hope with retaking it would be improving the Psych/Soc percentile. Would you think an admission committee would hold it against me if I did a bit lower on the sciences but better on Psych/Soc?

Thank you for your replies everybody

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Do NOT retake! !!

format: section: score (percentile)

Chemical/Physical Foundations: 129 (93%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 126 (70%)
Biological/Biochemical Foundations: 128 (87%)
Psych/Soc (get ready to cringe): 123 (32%)
Overall: 506 (71%)

The chem and bio scores are amazing, but I got brought down hard by the Psych/Soc section (mine was mostly sociology which I wasn't really prepared for). Would you retake these scores?

Total score is fine for most DO schools. For MD, retake.

The VR section gets cut the most slack.
Interesting, I'd have figured at least for this first cycle that VR would get a little more weight than psych/socio

huh I would have thought he should for sure retake. Either way, the psych/soc is the easiest section and don't just use ek, it's missing a lot of information. use a combo of books or just google all the topics, latter is much faster/cheaper

@gullu101 what's your gpa? If it's good for md then retake and you could apply to md.

How on earth is a 506 a snap retake for MD? Seriously guys.. I would think if you wanted upper 50% of MD then retake, however if your not gunning for top schools and have a solid GPA and EC's this is fine... Work on other areas of your application.

How on earth is a 506 a snap retake for MD? Seriously guys.. I would think if you wanted upper 50% of MD then retake, however if your not gunning for top schools and have a solid GPA and EC's this is fine... Work on other areas of your application.

The median MCAT for MD matriculants is a 31 (accepted MCAT median is similar). That's a 510. A 506 is roughly a 28. That is too low for MD schools unless OP is a URM or a veteran

If the OP's GPA is 3.6+ there is ~50% chance for acceptance according to Table 25-4. And this is using the old test. The new test is entirely different and urges adcoms to focus more on the middle of the bell curve. Just some food for thought. I really do not think the OP's score is not worthy of applying to MD.

The median MCAT for MD matriculants is a 31 (accepted MCAT median is similar). That's a 510. A 506 is roughly a 28. That is too low for MD schools unless OP is a URM or a veteran

If the OP's GPA is 3.6+ there is ~50% chance for acceptance according to Table 25-4. And this is using the old test. The new test is entirely different and urges adcoms to focus more on the middle of the bell curve. Just some food for thought. I really do not think the OP's score is not worthy of applying to MD.

Regardless of the AAMC objective to deemphasize the MCAT, medical schools will still follow their preset MCAT selection guidelines by looking at percentiles. And the table you are referencing is severely affected by numerous factors, such as state schools in lucky states, very specific mission requirements and other factors, and even including all that, a 50% chance isn't great (and even then, it's not really a "chance" in common terms)

As mentioned before, a 506 is good for DO schools and may net few IIs/acceptances at state schools. But unless OP has something extraordinary in their app, a 506 isn't good for MD schools. A 509+ is.

Regardless of the AAMC objective to deemphasize the MCAT, medical schools will still follow their preset MCAT selection guidelines by looking at percentiles. And the table you are referencing is severely affected by numerous factors, such as state schools in lucky states, very specific mission requirements and other factors, and even including all that, a 50% chance isn't great (and even then, it's not really a "chance" in common terms)

As mentioned before, a 506 is good for DO schools and may net few IIs/acceptances at state schools. But unless OP has something extraordinary in their app, a 506 isn't good for MD schools. A 509+ is.

These are all great points. If the OP believes that ~50 is a bad chance with garnishing an acceptance, then by all means retake. I however think that a ~50% chance of being accepted when looking at the numbers is not the end of the world that many portray on these forums. I would venture that the intangible things are the ones deciding if someone would get that acceptance.

I believe that your MCAT score is high enough to "get you to the door" at an institution or two. Beyond that its on you as a person.

I agree. I got a 505 and have already had an MD interview (not URM). I think if OP is willing to take the chance then they should go for it

These are all great points. If the OP believes that ~50 is a bad chance with garnishing an acceptance, then by all means retake. I however think that a ~50% chance of being accepted when looking at the numbers is not the end of the world that many portray on these forums. I would venture that the intangible things are the ones deciding if someone would get that acceptance.

I believe that your MCAT score is high enough to "get you to the door" at an institution or two. Beyond that its on you as a person.
I agree. I got a 505 and have already had an MD interview (not URM). I think if OP is willing to take the chance then they should go for it

It's essentially of safest bet to apply MD if you meet around their accepted medians. Of course, people do get into MD schools with lower MCAT scores, since that is how median is defined, but it's better to be on the safe side.

And yeah i completely agree with you that numbers aren't everything. To the dismay of the numbers-addicted schools, people do succeed in medical school with subpar stats at a minimum (around a 3.3 and a 25), and yes, i'm taking DO schools into account. I am certain this score creep is attributed entirely due to increased competition, and that the median MCAT scores for MD schools were in fact around a 27-28 just few years ago (schools like Harvard had a 33 median MCAT!)

Once schools fully embrace the AAMC objective of assessing competency-based requirements and competition reduces thanks to better economic conditions (so they say...) and lots of healthcare alternatives to medicine, the accepted medians for medical schools will reduce

It's essentially of safest bet to apply MD if you meet around their accepted medians. Of course, people do get into MD schools with lower MCAT scores, since that is how median is defined, but it's better to be on the safe side.

And yeah i completely agree with you that numbers aren't everything. To the dismay of the numbers-addicted schools, people do succeed in medical school with subpar stats at a minimum (around a 3.3 and a 25), and yes, i'm taking DO schools into account. I am certain this score creep is attributed entirely due to increased competition, and that the median MCAT scores for MD schools were in fact around a 27-28 just few years ago (schools like Harvard had a 33 median MCAT!)

Once schools fully embrace the AAMC objective of assessing competency-based requirements and competition reduces thanks to better economic conditions (so they say...) and lots of healthcare alternatives to medicine, the accepted medians for medical schools will reduce

Very true. It would depend on the OP's comfort level.

Lawper's logic for the best shot is accurate. However there are numerous examples on here of people with MCAT's that would be laughed at that get acceptances. These people have VERY strong EC's and usually either the GPA or MCAT (that isn't low) is on the higher end (above averages) and this offsets to some extent when paired with LOR's PS's and a compelling story.

Hello everyone

I am not a veteran or a URM

My GPA is around 3.0 so I'm not even going to try to apply this cycle (to schools). This is why I am planning to do an SMP after i graduate from UG.

The registration for the 2016 MCAT dates opens on 10/21 so I have until then to decide...
not sure if an smp will make up for the gpa for md schools - you may still be okay for do

The psych score will probably screen you out of some Md schools unfortunately

Total score is fine for most DO schools. For MD, retake.

The VR section gets cut the most slack.
Even more than psych on the new test?
IMVHO, the only section about as useless as verbal is...psych.
MCAT should stick to the sciences.

I wish you were right but as long as deans read USNWR this will never happen.
The only standardized measure of competency in the sciences is the MCAT.

a) What sources did you use for your practice tests. 502's on say Kaplan or PR and their deflated grading scale are completely meaningless. What did you get on the official AAMC practice test? Also if you took EK your scores on those can be relevant. Bottom line, the source you took for practice tests matters alot. Alot of these companies practice tests are useless and their scoring scales are even more useless and non-predictive
b) I read above your goal was to do an SMP then do DO. Not a smart plan. Your fine for DO as is. Don't put yourself through the risk of an SMP and what it entails unless you absolutely have to.
c) You should re-take the score if you are gunning for an MD
d) There is alot of stuff on the psych/soc section that is learnable in terms of terminology. Obviously it will vary by version of test but I do feel like that is a section where you can definitely see gains through studying.

a) I signed up for a PR course and was using their practice exams
b) What do you mean about the risk of an SMP? Like not doing well in that and as a result lowering my chances further?
c) If I did want to do MD, then you would advise retaking MCAT + SMP, yeah?
d) Yeah, I agree completely. I took Psych much more recently and was ready for it, sociology was like 3 years ago so I didn't really remember it but it ended up being most of the section. I think even some basic studying would bring that section up, but then there's also the rest of the exam

a) PR practice exam scores are next to useless. The AAMC FL exam is the most representative thing out there. EK can give you a decent idea also of where you stand. There is a new FL being released by the AAMC next month which will give you two tests to really gauge your abilities on.
b) Yes SMP programs are brutal and real risks. You have to ask yourself, what makes you believe you will beat out the majority of first year medical students who had better stats than you in undergrad in the classes they take with you? That you are more motivated then them? Considering they will be going all in on these classes just like you, that's not the answer. People think of SMP's too often as "get out of jail free cards" and the golden ticket to MD schools; they aren't often honest with themselves why their GPA is low enough they need an SMP. And beyond that, they aren't honest with themselves whether or not they can make significant changes to their approach and abilities that they will be able to beat out the majority of MS1's in their classes when they couldn't beat out enough undergrads back in college for A's in far easier classes with less motivated and lower quality competition. And if you don't beat out the majority of medical students in their classes in an SMP, you are more likely to be hurting yourself than helping yourself. Do poorly in the program and you've completely screwed your chances; you will never be a physician in the US, MD or DO.
c) SMP's are meant for people with low GPA's and MCAT scores within line of an MD matriculant. They're not made for people with solid GPA's who are struggling with the MCAT. So I guess the big question here is, what is your GPA? For DO schools, honestly anything above a 3.25 and with that MCAT you will be rather competitive. Hopefully the take away message from this is SMP's are meant as last resort options and if you have a better option for getting into an MD school, it's usually better to pursue that avenue.
d) Yes, it's probably a good idea to study for the psych/soc section harder next time. IF you are boning for the MD all in all, I think a re-take is a good idea in this situation. Yes you will have to do at least as well in the sciences(if not better) but I think an MCAT re-take is a far better option than a SMP if your GPA is in order. I'd say 512+ is a good target score for a re-take.

Last edited:
@GrapesofRath I've already mentioned that my GPA is about a 3.0, which is why i'm even considering the SMP...

(sidenote: My GPA is messed up because of my own poor decisions when I started college, like taking 17 and 18 credits respectively in my first two semesters, signing up for an honors Physics I course just so I could do research - instead of trying to negotiate the time with my researcher, and other stupid things like that. I had a 2.77 at the end of freshman year and it's been a struggle bringing it back up. I had much better grades in most of the science classes I took after freshman year - so I think I can handle work in an SMP. That being said, thank you for your perspective with point b) above )

I wouldn't do an SMP if you are open to DO schools unless it's a SMP at a DO program specifically. For DO programs, simply re-taking courses you got a C or lower in and acing some new upper level science courses does the job just fine. SMP's you are talking about are for people gunning for MD's and MD's only. Many SMP's will have average stats of their class like 3.3/31; these type of people could definitely get into DO programs even without doing an SMP.

its not too low. people that score below the average get in