WPAFB hospital closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a little bit more information today...

Apparently, four AF docs from my specialty got selected. This is next-level strange because we've heard for years about how undermanned the AF would be in my field beginning this summer. Well, I guess the AF just doubled-down on the shortage.

The selectees have until December 2014 to get out. I'm not sure exactly what that means, except that maybe they can get out earlier if they get everything lined up with 1 December as a NLT date.

Everyone is getting a separation check around $66K. However, they're also obligated to repay the AF for the unfilled years of commitment. I have no idea how the AF will calculate this payment, but even after that $66K, it's safe to assume they'll be writing a decent sized check. These rules were evidently outlined before everyone volunteered to be selected.

Curious if this actually ended up going through, and if these people you knew were required to give any monetary repayment to the AF in return?

Anybody else heard anything on the status of Wright-Pat, or on early separations?

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had any new information on this? I know WP just matched another class of residents this year -- actually increased their peds residency by one spot compared to previous year.

Any new info on early seperations? Have deployments been down throughout at AF as well?

Anybody know anything new?

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine that there are always rumors swirling about which bases are closing. My own hospital was once told it was on the chopping block right after receiving the Air Force's "Hospital of the Year" award.

Those scary "contracts" are not unassailable, and they know it. Were you actually afforded the opportunity to negotiate your contract terms? (No.) Did the military recruiters make representations and promises to you that influenced your decisions on where and what to study, and did you rely on said promises? (probably).

They might try to screw you, but they can't prevent you from suing them for fraud and misrepresentation. Also the wording and terms of the discharges are disadvantageous to the person being discharged--you have to get licensed, find a job or a residency, move your household, all of which take considerable time and expense. All that gets to be claimed against them if the dispute goes to court. Government lawyers hate defending government stupidity and stupid government contracts. Chances are, they would settle.

Back in medical school I had an attorney look over my contract. He told me that there's no getting out of it. If you do a case law search on Google Scholar for "Health Professions Scholarship Program" you'll find lots of disappointed doctors who have sued the military to get out of contracts and came out on the losing side. You can try to argue that the recruiter lied to you (mine did), but courts can't go off a he-said, she-said when it comes to military promises. Judges are going to look at U.S. Code, your contract, and maybe any emails/letters you received. My contract specifically stated that any verbal statements made to me prior to signing my contract are non-enforceable.