WSJ : "A Doctor's perspective, Our Ailing Medical System"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/o...d&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed&_r=0

"The statistics on physician suicide are frightening: Physicians are more than twice as likely to kill themselves as nonphysicians (and female physicians three times more likely than their male counterparts). Some 400 doctors commit suicide every year. Young physicians at the beginning of their training are particularly vulnerable: In a recent study, 9.4 percent of fourth-year medical students and interns — as first-year residents are called — reported having suicidal thoughts in the previous two weeks."

A sad and sobering article. The article does not mention the additional stress of student loans some of the comments after the article do.

I think Lesley really hit the nail on the head here, I have seen so many people who just cannot keep their head above water. They are putting in crazy hours and just cannot keep their head up, that is one of the most sobering and frustrating things I have ever seen or heard of in my life.