WU/COMP MSIII/MSIV or Residents??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careofme

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am (for the most part) planning on entering the Class of 2006 at WU/COMP. I've placed posts on other boards looking for current 3rd or 4th year students or those currently in residency training that went to WU/COMP who can tell me first hand about the rotation process, residency match (i.e. did you get your 1st or second choices, etc.) at this school.

If there are any "WU/COMPers" who can spare a moment to share this info from me I would be eternally thankful... :cool:

Careofme

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't get the reply you're seeking, try calling the medical school itself and asked to speak to a 4th year med student. I'm sure they'd be happy to hook you up w/ one by phone or email.

Members don't see this ad :)
most 3rd/4th years don't have time hanging out here. Don't get upset.

LoserAlert,

Not upset..just curious!! I know they're busy...

Thanks,

Careofme

What's up Careofme...
I'm a MSIV from WesternU-College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. I just finished my last rotation (SICU).... just sitting on my ass waiting for graduation. A lot of my classmates matched at nice programs like...... Radiology(Loma Linda), Gen. Surgery(Loma Linda), OB/GYN(UCI), Internal med(Cleveland Clinic x 2), Radiology (Kaiser-Sunset).8 are doing Internal med at USC,Peds (Children's Hospital of Los Angeles x 2) As for me, I'm a below average student when it comes to class rank but did slightly above average on COMLEX and USMLE steps 1 and 2. I'll be doing anesthesiology at Tufts University-New England Medical Center in Boston. For a complete listing of WESTERNU/COMP 2002 MATCH RESULTS log on to <a href="http://www.geocities.com/doctaz2002/" target="_blank">www.geocities.com/doctaz2002/</a> or <a href="http://www.worldenterprises.org/doctaz2002/." target="_blank">www.worldenterprises.org/doctaz2002/.</a>

Hope this helps...

Best Wishes....DOcotor Feelgood (Yo doctor begins with the letters D.O.) :) :) :) :)

FeelGood-

Thank you so much for your posting.

Can you tell me about the rotations you did. Could you do exclerks easily at other hospitals (out of state, etc.)? What do you think about WU/COMP if one is interested in surgery?

Did you do research? I know there isnt much there at the university per se but what about at UCLA?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm very curious to know...

Thanks!

Careofme

It's Dr FeelGOOD.....J/K ...LOL

I got to do outside rotations my 3rd year. I did IM at maricopa med. center in Phoenix which was great. But the school doesn't allow you to go out of state any more as a 3rd year. In fact, i think you can only do rotations within th e COMP system as a 3rd year now. As for doing general surgery, the guy who got into Loma Linda for gen surgery is ranked number 2 in my class ans kicked ass on boards. Last year, UCSD took a guy for gen. Surgeery and he too was a top ranked student. You can always do a DO surgery residency in Michigan or Ohio.

I didn't do any research, in fact, I rarely showed up in time for class and always left early.

UCLA doesn't like DOs....they don't even like MD students from small schools either, i.e. Creighton, Howard, Meharry

Hope this helps you Careofme

lates...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Careofme:
•Hi. I am (for the most part) planning on entering the Class of 2006 at WU/COMP. I've placed posts on other boards looking for current 3rd or 4th year students or those currently in residency training that went to WU/COMP who can tell me first hand about the rotation process, residency match (i.e. did you get your 1st or second choices, etc.) at this school.

If there are any "WU/COMPers" who can spare a moment to share this info from me I would be eternally thankful... :cool: •••••I'm also a 4th year student waiting to graduate (only 3 weeks left!!!) I'm doing FP at Chino Valley Medical Center. I chose a community-based AOA program for two reasons:
1) community-based programs create community-based physician.
2) I'm evenetually going to have an OMM practice, so I wanted a program where I would be able to enhance my skills.

As far as surgery, the key is to plan your rotations appropriately so that you will be competent in your planned profession when you do your 4th year sub-internships at the programs you are interested in. All residencies are the same in that they are looking for people who are hard workers and work well with others. They are less interested, for the most part, in your skills as a surgeon, just that you are committed.

The best thing you can do right now is to work hard during the first two years, try to get B or better in your classes, and start thinking about boards early. Good luck!