MPH Yale MPH Accepted 2015 Fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do not know her at all and I just make my comments based on common sense and my experience. It should be noted that you and her are totally different, you hold US passport or at least green card, thus it is much easier for you to find jobs after graduation. She, on the other hand, would have low chance of getting employed with a MPH degree even from Yale, let alone that Yale give her no financial aid. However, in BU, she is a PHD candidate and she will have higher chance finding jobs after graduation. Even if she is an BU MPH candidate, the fact that she got the amazing stipend indicates that there is a professor in BU who wants to use her immediately, increasing her chance of building job-related network immediately.

I actually think the idea that getting a PhD giving you a better chance of finding a job is an interesting one. Getting a PhD won't necessarily make you more employable as you now have to find jobs that are for people with a PhD. That means there are fewer total jobs out there since few people have a PhD. But, having a PhD does give the opportunity to pursue opportunities that would not be available to someone with only a MPH.

People with a PhD are not competing for the same jobs a person with a MPH are shooting for. Most companies will not hire someone with a PhD for a position designed for someone with just a MPH as that person will be overqualified and (in the eye of the company) become unhappy with the level of work.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually think the idea that getting a PhD giving you a better chance of finding a job is an interesting one. Getting a PhD won't necessarily make you more employable as you now have to find jobs that are for people with a PhD. That means there are fewer total jobs out there since few people have a PhD. But, having a PhD does give the opportunity to pursue opportunities that would not be available to someone with only a MPH.

People with a PhD are not competing for the same jobs a person with a MPH are shooting for. Most companies will not hire someone with a PhD for a position designed for someone with just a MPH as that person will be overqualified and (in the eye of the company) become unhappy with the level of work.

Good point and True!

Though for an international student, I have to admit that getting a Phd is the best shot to stay permanently in the U.S (or maybe comes second to marriage lol)

Good point and True!

Though for an international student, I have to admit that getting a Phd is the best shot to stay permanently in the U.S (or maybe comes second to marriage lol)

Anecdotal, but it's pretty tough these days to stay in the US once a student visa expires, at least initially early in our careers... I've had several friends with issues renewing their visas despite the fact they are experts in their areas. The costs have become extravagant and employers are becoming less open to sponsorship. Companies definitely will sponsor, but it's not as common as it once was. But, the best way of staying in the US is to just become the de facto expert in your field. :)

Anecdotal, but it's pretty tough these days to stay in the US once a student visa expires, at least initially early in our careers... I've had several friends with issues renewing their visas despite the fact they are experts in their areas. The costs have become extravagant and employers are becoming less open to sponsorship. Companies definitely will sponsor, but it's not as common as it once was. But, the best way of staying in the US is to just become the de facto expert in your field. :)

I completely agree with you and I'm going a little off of the purpose of this thread but, I think if they get an Phd, they don't need to find jobs to sponsor, they can go the scholar route (not sure exactly what it's called), where they publish a certain amount of papers, then the government will issue citizenship for their accomplishments. And I think they only do that for Phd. I had a couple friends doing that, and they stay at home and write papers all days lol.