Yale Resident willing to answer questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titoincali

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having been through the interview process recently, I know how difficult this time of making big decisions can be. I didn't have a lot of mentorship through this process so I want to be able to help in any way that I can. I'm a first year resident at Yale and would be very happy to answer any questions. If I can't answer your questions, I'd be happy to find someone who can.

It was a big decision to leave the West Coast to come to CT. And while I'm still adjusting, I can't imagine not being here. I'm extremely happy with the curriculum and the flexibility awaiting me in future years to help incorporate my interests into my training experience. I appreciate the responsiveness of the program administrators and chief residents to whatever problems are brought up- whether it be concerns from residents about a particular rotation or call schedule. In all cases, I've felt that people are actually working on solutions although in some cases, that process is sensitive and not likely to happen immediately.

One of the things that has made me most excited about Yale is the people I work with. They are accomplished, interesting, and I truly enjoy spending time with them and working with them. The upper year residents have been nothing if not amazing sources of mentorship for us first years. Not a week passed during the months I was on call in Psych when a 2-4th year didn't ask me how I was doing and offer to answer any questions I had. I would even have residents who were on call at other locations call me on a Saturday/Sunday morning to tell me they were available to help me in any way and give me their cell phone number. Believe me, on your first shifts on call when you are the only resident in the building, these relationships and offers are one of the things that helps you get through.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention how amazing Bob Rorhbaugh and other administrators/advisors are. From offering to help when I needed surgery or inviting me to their homes for Thanksgiving to sending me emails about things they think I would enjoy (music, theater events), I feel strongly that they are one of the best things about the Yale program.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their decision in making their rank list. If I can answer any more questions about Yale, please let me know. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Can you tell us about the differences between the intern experience at Yale-New Haven and Hospital at Saint Raphael in terms of patient population, teaching, and nursing support during the medicine months?

I know New Haven is pretty high on the lists of high crime cities, do you know of any resident that have been victims of crime?

Tito, Is there a deadline at Yale to complete step 3. IE you need it to move on to PGY2 or 3?

I know New Haven is pretty high on the lists of high crime cities, do you know of any resident that have been victims of crime?

@ OP please include all the juicy details when you answer for the benefit of all the human interest story junkies......