You know VET SCHOOL is driving you crazy when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know anatomy's driving you crazy when you get a bunch of steaks and spend more time trying to identify the muscles and bones represented than you do cooking the steaks!

Steaks aren't so bad since you don't see the whole muscle, but the non-mammalian exotic animal anatomy elective I took last semester did me in for chicken wings. I can't eat them anymore. Something about being able to identify every.single.muscle that you're eating! Totally grosses me out for some reason.

However, Thanksgiving was great. After being cooked, it was so much easier to see the fascial plane between m. pectoralis and m. supracoracoideus in the turkey breast than it was in the chicken cadaver. I had a newfound appreciation for it as I was slicing. I stayed away from the drumsticks and wings.

Members don't see this ad.

You know anatomy's driving you crazy when you get a bunch of steaks and spend more time trying to identify the muscles and bones represented than you do cooking the steaks!

I made turkey stock from my thanksgiving carcass. And spent about 20 minutes trying to reconstruct the skeleton when it was done.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you go to your derm appointment with an anatomy textbook to read while you wait. Even better, get annoyed when a PA student speaks to you condescendingly but comments on said textbook (which you blatantly ignore). Best: your derm walks in, answers ignorant question about book (Oh, she wants to be a vet!) and you smile pleasantly and say, "Yeah, I'm accepted at Tufts for this fall" and you witness as PA student jaw's drops but she tries so hard to recover.:laugh:

Sometimes, you gotta enjoy the simple karma in life :biglove:

When you're told that the class average on a recent test (that you felt iffy about) was pretty bad and that the range was broad, you mutter to yourself "who ever got the highest grade can go F him/herself," and then realize it was you. Instead of f-ing yourself, you proceed to run a couple of victory laps holding your cat above your head like an olympic gold runner with a flag.

When you're told that the class average on a recent test (that you felt iffy about) was pretty bad and that the range was broad, you mutter to yourself "who ever got the highest grade can go F him/herself," and then realize it was you. Instead of f-ing yourself, you proceed to run a couple of victory laps holding your cat above your head like an olympic gold runner with a flag.

Your cat allows that?

I know I'm nuts, guys. Today we had a lecturer who I am REALLY not fond of. Someone asked her a question, and she gave a really bad/cop out answer and I just yelled "NO".

I couldn't stop myself. I just... couldn't.

Would like my manners/self-control back, plz.

Your cat allows that?

I know I'm nuts, guys. Today we had a lecturer who I am REALLY not fond of. Someone asked her a question, and she gave a really bad/cop out answer and I just yelled "NO".

That's hilarious. Hopefully lecturers don't really know your name anyway.

When you have a dream about being on a nice vacation to Florida and in the middle of a serene beach scene, you realize you're going to miss your biochem final if you don't get on a plane back to Philly RIGHT NOW. And your mom doesn't understand why you're freaking out and you're missing the final and then you wake up at 6:00 am in the pitch darkness of your room and wonder when you lost your mind

When you have a dream about being on a nice vacation to Florida and in the middle of a serene beach scene, you realize you're going to miss your biochem final if you don't get on a plane back to Philly RIGHT NOW. And your mom doesn't understand why you're freaking out and you're missing the final and then you wake up at 6:00 am in the pitch darkness of your room and wonder when you lost your mind

I had this dream repeatedly throughout undergrad....and high school (not always about bchem but there were times....). So, maybe I'll be better prepared for vet school that I thought :laugh:

Your cat allows that?

Don't worry. We didn't hear you :)

Don't worry. We didn't hear you :)

Bahaha, I was sitting lower yesterday, and people who sit above you did! Maybe it didn't carry all the way down to the front. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cat allows that?

Hahaha, that would be a great moment to witness.

I haven't even started Vet school yet, and I dreamt that I showed up for class and there was a test that I had no clue about and hadn't studied for....I was freaking out as they handed out the test and read the questions and for the first time in my life had no clue what they were talking about, then I woke up...

You know you have been in school for to long when you refer to a year as being from August to May not January to December. :cool:

You know you have been in school for to long when you refer to a year as being from August to May not January to December. :cool:

I always say last year/2 years ago etc. and think about school years. It gets so confusing because apparently nobody else does, so sometimes they have no clue what I'm talking about...

When you drink a whole case of diet coke in less than two days, and realize that that's been your entire diet during that time. The evoked personal response to this is "wow, that's a lot of diet coke. damn... now I need to go get another case. and hellz yeah that's like 0 calories! maybe i'll burn off some of the vet school 30 i've been wanting to shake"

When you're so ashamed about how poorly you've treated your body that it's really embarrassing to tell your PCP that you're on your way to becoming a health professional. And you try to redeem yourself by saying "I'm really not that ignorant/stupid. I swear, you should see how well I take care of my cat!" only to realize that made the doctor feel kind of uncomfortable

When you dream about how to write up essay answers for your finals (especially biochem) or how your oral exams are going to play out. :eek: Can't even get away from school in your sleep! So glad the semester is over and can relax this summer.

Hahaha. That's awesome. We have a lecturer who originally is from Germany and retains a very strong accent. He's actually pretty awesome, with a very subtle but strong sense of humor. I enjoy his lectures. Anyway, he constantly ends sentences with a questioning 'Ja?'

Like, every other sentence. It's gotten so ingrained in my head that every time he does it I have to consciously stop myself from yelling "Ja!" right back at him.

I'm deathly afraid in every class that I'm going to blow my self-control and say it out loud. Especially since I really like his lectures.

When you drink a triple espresso drink from Starbucks at 7:00pm to make sure you can stay up till study till Midnight and then have absolutely NO PROBLEM falling asleep.

Night ya'll. See ya in the morning. :D

When you drink a whole case of diet coke in less than two days, and realize that that's been your entire diet during that time. The evoked personal response to this is "wow, that's a lot of diet coke. damn... now I need to go get another case. and hellz yeah that's like 0 calories! maybe i'll burn off some of the vet school 30 i've been wanting to shake"

Ah I relate to this so well... a little too well! Diet coke is my mainstay and I go a bit weird on it... my bf can always tell when I've been chugging it!

And I can totally relate to the vet school 30 as well :( For me it should have been called the third year 30...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't tell me that. My 5'0 frame cannot take another 30.

Oh hell, my 5'0 frame is still trying to lose the post-grad school 20....another 30 pounds and I'll be Jabba the damned Hut.

. . . When your entertainment for the day consists of listening to how Tequila relates to learned food aversion . . . while browsing the "Drunk Pre-Vet" thread.

Doesn't take much anymore.

When the bubbles/foam in your coke remind you of an ovulating ovary... haha when I was studying for my repro class final last year I sat and watched the bubbles progress, pop, and then regress, all while reviewing the process of ovulation. lol it was pretty silly!

So my dogs are infamous for waking me up at 6:07 in the DIY every morning. Sometimes they go back to bed when I tell at them and other mornings they just get more obnoxious by the minute. On these days, I ended up yelling at them to be quiet (which works for about 5 minutes or so)....

This morning, instead of yelling random profanities at the dogs to tell them to shoosh, I yelled "no, toxicosis, no!!"........ I think my brain finally short circuited.

So my dogs are infamous for waking me up at 6:07 on the dot every morning. Sometimes they go back to bed when I tell at them and other mornings they just get more obnoxious by the minute. On these days, I ended up yelling at them to be quiet (which works for about 5 minutes or so)....

This morning, instead of yelling random profanities at the dogs to tell them to shoosh, I yelled "no, toxicosis, no!!"........ I think my brain finally short circuited.

Last edited:
So my dogs are infamous for waking me up at 6:07 on the dot every morning. Sometimes they go back to bed when I tell at them and other mornings they just get more obnoxious by the minute. On these days, I ended up yelling at them to be quiet (which works for about 5 minutes or so)....

Solution= get a new dog, name it toxicosis. Sounds kind of cute.

And then you posted this twice, so it was looping as well.

...when you check your email every 10 minutes for an email from your vet school even though you know that it's borderline obsessive and you're only doing that because you have nothing better to do.

It's really strange that you're using a picture of yourself as your avatar. Usually we don't do that here.

LOL. Poor SOV. The beatings continue. LOVE IT

And then you posted this twice, so it was looping as well.

garshdarnit. The remainder of my day has gone ok. I should be ok as long as I don't shake my head too hard and rattle things lose!

Really shouldn't be reading articles titled "The use of intravenous lipid emulsion as an antidote in veterinary toxicology" before bed time. How I miss reading my lovely classics to fall asleep. *sigh*

Really shouldn't be reading articles titled "The use of intravenous lipid emulsion as an antidote in veterinary toxicology" before bed time. How I miss reading my lovely classics to fall asleep. *sigh*

We were supposed to read this for Tox too. Didn't do it. Let me know how it goes.

We were supposed to read this for Tox too. Didn't do it. Let me know how it goes.

3.5 pages to go..... Not a bad read now that I'm more awake. I have a little soft spot in my heart for emergency medicine so I'm at least trying to see the applicability in it! :rolleyes:

Summary: If your patient intentionally or unintentionally OD's on a lipophillic drug: Give them an IV lipid emulsion if all other life saving methods have failed. The end.

Last edited:
You start off hoping for A+s in your first year modules, go on to hope for Bs and Cs, soon realise you're just hoping for a pass, then praying you scrape by on compensation!!

You're on the first vacation you and your husband have taken in a long time, but it is just days after a massive, killer parasitology exam. While in a sandwich shop a fly buzzes past. You don't think "eww, a fly in a sandwich shop", or even "shoo fly" but instead "I wonder if that fly is Musca domestica or one of the flies that cause cutaneous maggots that looks like a common fly, what are they called, oh yeah calliphorids, and d*mn, I wish I had my collection vial for my insect collection project"
Luckily, I had enough sense to not say maggot out loud to my super squeamish husband right before eating.

You are happy to spend spring break catching up on lectures and notes and cruising around VIN.