You know you're a vet student (or pre-vet to be PC) when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyndaelyzoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this would be fun!!! I know these are kinda lame, but would love to hear others...

1. You think animals are much more interesting than people (I know we are animals, but you know what I mean)

2. You love the smell of a stable

3. You cluck to your car to encourage it to move forward :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

When you keep an extra cat carrier and/or leash in your car in case you come across a stray...

Reactions: 5 users
5./6.) You get MORE excited about the prospect of having your own animals one day than having children.

:rolleyes: Sue me? No, but really, my best friend continually asks me if I even have a uterus. She's obsessed with baby clothes. That's just not me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I cluck at the mannequins at work when I'm moving them. When a customer sees me do it, they usually avoid me while they're in the store. :p I did it just today, actually...without noticing. One of the associates had to point it out.

You show up to class every day with new scratches, most of which you've no idea where they came from.

Reactions: 1 user
when your celebrity-obsessed friend shows you a picture of some hot celebrity exercising with his dog, you first notice the dog...

When your boyfriend says, "I've heard enough cow facts for the day, sweetie."

You miss your exit on the freeway because you are thinking about horses

Happens to me all the time....sigh

5./6.) You get MORE excited about the prospect of having your own animals one day than having children.

:rolleyes: Sue me? No, but really, my best friend continually asks me if I even have a uterus. She's obsessed with baby clothes. That's just not me.

lol glad im not the only one!!

Your friend tells you she took her dog to the vet, and your first reaction is to ask about diagnostic tests.

(In my defense, this friend knows about my career path and gives me regular vet updates on her problem ridden dog. :oops:)

and I have been known to go into two point when the car hits a speed bump a little too quickly...

Bahahaha! Glad I'm not the only one. I actually "taught" my husband what this was and to do it on every speed bump... I wonder if he actually does it when I'm not around.

Members don't see this ad :)
- You spend more time worrying about the VMCAS than your actual classes (maybe "VMCAS" can be replaced with SDN)

- You know every animal's name, but cannot remeber a human name to save your life.

-You can name every breed of dog/cat/cow/horse alphabetically and backwards but cannot seem to memorize trigonometric functions.

- You like to accessorize with dog hair.

- You think nothing of having at least ten animal hairs with every meal.

You spend more on your pet's food bill than your own...

:p

- You think nothing of having at least ten animal hairs with every meal.
'

THIS. My SIL freaks out when there's cat hair in the food, but I'm just like "MEH" and keep eating. If I tried to remove every cat hair from every meal I ate, I'd starve to death.

You show up to class every day with new scratches, most of which you've no idea where they came from.

Ditto this for bruises.

When you can listen to a vague list of symptoms and narrow the likely hoods down to 2 or 3 things.

When you almost always have streaks on your glasses from dog kisses to the face.:love:

You can name every breed of dog/cat/cow/horse alphabetically and backwards but cannot seem to memorize trigonometric functions.

Ha ha! THIS!! Whenever classes were boring in high school I would just sit and write out breeds...I have pages and pages of them :D

People ask you if you've seen any good movies lately, and instead of mentioning the last Academy Award nominee or Sundance films, you say, "Oh yeah! I watched a GREAT documentary about giraffes/dolphins/dogs/emus/etc. last week..."

Anyone else had people seriously ask if they were being abused?
No no, my broken hand from last week/new black eye/enormous bloody scratches down both arms/bruised ribs are from the animals I work with. :rolleyes: I had a bad run where my horse dumped me straight into a fence 2 days after a week where I'd been badly scratched by some species every single day. Explaining that is always fun.

Also, RE: clucking. I do this to people occasionally. My boyfriend absolutely does not find it amusing. I also shift the weight in my seatbones when I am making a turn in the car.

You know you're a pre-vet when everyone you know calls you about stray animals/sick animals/anything to do with animals. Lambs, birds, dogs and cats, treating other people's horses, etc.

You know you're a pre-vet when everyone you know calls you about stray animals/sick animals/anything to do with animals. Lambs, birds, dogs and cats, treating other people's horses, etc.

Haha, yeah. One time last year a deer was stuck on campus, and a Dean called me on my cell phone to ask what to do since she knows I've done a lot of work with moose. Kind of a surreal experience!

When you drive by fresh, intact roadkill you automatically think, "I should take that home and dissect it."

When you have no trouble adopting a pair of cute, elderly cats--both with renal insufficiency--because managing CRF just doesn't seem like that big a deal to you.

When you get a volunteer position on a zoo animal unit, and it turns out one of your duties is to hand-sort feces from straw bedding, your automatic response is "Okay!" not "Eew!"--even after the keepers have told you the old male has runny stools.

when you try to get your siblings/boyfriend/parents/random people to pay attention, come with you, look at you, etc. by making a kissy noise like you do with your dog. :laugh:

When you drive by fresh, intact roadkill you automatically think, "I should take that home and dissect it."

So true!! There was an oppossum lying in the road near my house yesterday morning, and I creepily drove by to assess the age of the carcass. The neighbors were out doing yard work, which was what ultimately deterred me from bagging it up and carrying it into my garage.

Another time there was a deer on the side of the road near my parents' house, which had an impressive gash in its side made by the vehicle that killed it. I was so very tempted to stop and take a peek at its innards...

..or how about if someone brings a cat to the shelter where you work and report that it is vomiting up worms. When you discover that they have brought the worms with them in a jar, you are sorely disappointed that you can't leave your unit to check them out.

- You know every animal's name, but cannot remeber a human name to save your life.

YES! I'm absolutely terrible at human names but for some reason can remember animal names no problem. I guess it's because most animals look so different and humans look relatively alike, excepting male/female and various skin colors. Most of the time it's not a problem because either you don't have to address the person by their name, it's listed on the animal's form, or they don't really care and are more than happy that you've remembered their dogs name, but sometimes you can get in a real pickle if they catch you off guard at the store or something.

... you don't mind the smell of pee, poop, vomit, pus or anal glands.

I get super annoyed when people scrunch up their noses and go "Ewww, how can you stand that smell???"

You check the teeth and nails of every dog that comes up to you at the dog park. :oops:

You think puppy check-ups are boring.

You automatically check the ribs of your parents' dog and tell them s/he's fat every time you visit.

You become the people food nazi (No grapes! No onions! No chocolate! No chicken bones!).

When your boyfriend says, "I've heard enough cow facts for the day, sweetie."

I tried to explain the stomachs and how fascinating and exciting the rumen ecosystem is to my boyfriend the other day, and he just gave me a flat stare.

We have a lot of arguments that go:
Him: I don't care.
Me: Why don't you care?? This is how a body works! It's important! Don't you ever wonder how you work?
Him: What does it matter, as long as I work?
Me: You always tell me I should know about how cars work under the hood, why shouldn't you know how you work "under the hood?"
Him: ... shut up.

You automatically check the ribs of your parents' dog and tell them s/he's fat every time you visit.

My parents get pissed at me for doing this. "Leo's getting a little heavy." "That's what you said last time! He looks fine!" "Yah but...*mom glare* Nevermind..."

you have a very low "gross out" factor

you think "animal" babies are way cuter than human babies

you check your dog's poop for anything suspicious/interesting before you throw it out

you find the smell of chlorohexadine comforting

you can distinguish the different scents of your own animals with a blindfold on

if your in the middle of talking to a person and an animal passes by, you have a momentary lapse of social etiquette and immediately feel the urge to pay more attention to the animal

Anyone else had people seriously ask if they were being abused?
No no, my broken hand from last week/new black eye/enormous bloody scratches down both arms/bruised ribs are from the animals I work with. :rolleyes: I had a bad run where my horse dumped me straight into a fence 2 days after a week where I'd been badly scratched by some species every single day. Explaining that is always fun.

When I was in high school my mother thought I was a cutter. She didn't seem to understand that the scratches up and down my arm were from animals, not a razor blade. I'm surprised she didnt tie me up and drag me to a shrink to talk about my problems, she was so convinced.

Oh man, I am totally and completely guilty of almost all of these! The other day I was listing all of the shoes I have - one pair for work with the lab animals, one pair for riding, one pair for the wildlife center, one "nice" pair...etc. My sister was appalled.

I need to keep a spare collar/leash because I see strays and I will not quit until I've gotten ahold of them or they get away so that I can't find them any longer (even after driving the neighborhood).

I cluck to people that drive slowly.

I always smell like SOME animal, usually ferrets from work or ponies.

I'd like to add:

When on a road trip in the countryside, you yell POOOONIES or COWSSSS or SHEEEEEEP or GOATSSS or CHICKENS! at every farm you pass as you gaze happily out the window and your significant other rolls his/her eyes.

Not that I have experience, of course ;)

Reactions: 2 users
When I was in high school my mother thought I was a cutter. She didn't seem to understand that the scratches up and down my arm were from animals, not a razor blade. I'm surprised she didnt tie me up and drag me to a shrink to talk about my problems, she was so convinced.

I ended up in the emergency room 4 times in two weeks due to falls off my horses and getting sliced up/bit by a seriously pissed off cat at work. All said and done I had one fractured wrist, one fractured ankle, ten stitches and a scratched cornea. I guess it's hospital policy to have social workers visit anyone under the age of eighteen that shows up more then once in a short period of time to rule out abuse. We spent close to an hour talking horses once she found out I rode but my poor parents were horrified that they had to defend themselves against suspected child abuse due to animal injuries!

You think nothing of having at least ten animal hairs with every meal.
Yup, this is my life...my yellow labby always has hairs in my dinner :)

if your in the middle of talking to a person and an animal passes by, you have a momentary lapse of social etiquette and immediately feel the urge to pay more attention to the animal
Always happens when I'm talking to my boyfriend. I think it might irritate most of the time :D

I am ashamed to add (because I am guilty of it):

- when you CUT in line in front of all of the 5-year-olds at a petting zoo to pet the animals.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You think puppy check-ups are boring.

You become the people food nazi (No grapes! No onions! No chocolate! No chicken bones!).

A puppy is never boring! Anyone else think puppy feet smell like Fritos!?

-When you can tell animals apart by the smell of their urine (in my defense, I have done a LOT of barn and kennel work. You just start to KNOW)

- When your dogs have YOU trained to wake up at 6 am every morning, regardless how late you were out the night before

- when you start telling people you're "in between jobs right now" just to avoid the inevitable "Oh really? I have a dog/cat/horse/fish that...."

- When your dogs have YOU trained to wake up at 6 am every morning, regardless how late you were out the night before

haha, mine don't get at me until 7 am, thank goodness

as a side note, I like the way my dogs' feet smell. And I love puppy breath :)

you think "animal" babies are way cuter than human babies

you check your dog's poop for anything suspicious/interesting before you throw it out

you can distinguish the different scents of your own animals with a blindfold on

yes to these! :)
Also definitely agree with knowing pet's names better than the owners! And of course, no outfit or meal is complete with pet hair.

You know you’re a pre-vet/vet student:

• When you get kissed all day by your patients
  • When you are frequently growled at/hissed at, etc. by your patients
  • When you find clipped toenails in pockets, etc hours later
  • When you refer to patients by their condition rather then their name, ie parvo dog
  • When you can greet the very large muscular man and keep a straight face while greeting his yorkie or shih tzu Mr. Snuggles (or Pookie or some other name like that)
  • When the words fecal, urine, blood, vomit, etc are everyday words
  • When you get excited that you can actually identify something in a fecal
  • When you buy your grandmother a humane trap for her birthday so that you can catch feral cats to have them spayed/neutered.
  • When a guy walks by with a dog and you say, "Oh how cute!" and you are referring to the dog

Like this thread, thanks lyndaelyzoo!

I had a problem at the doctor's office today where I knew I was a pre-vet... I've had this mystery lump on my hip, we've thought it might be a hernia, swollen inguinal lymph node, cyst, who knows, and I was so frustrated because if I was a dog, I'd know what this lump is within 30 minutes and we'd have a plan of attack, but my drs just sent me home and said to come back if it keeps hurting in a few days?? LAME. I'm ready to break out the ultrasound at work...

When you don't mind cleaning up horse manure, dog poop, and any other species feces, but the thought of changing a baby's diapers totally grosses you out:barf:

-When you read this on SDN and then go wake your puppy up to smell her feet and consider if they do in fact smell like fritos.

When you don't mind cleaning up horse manure, dog poop, and any other species feces, but the thought of changing a baby's diapers totally grosses you out:barf:

Agreed.

All the kids at the barn are fascinated by the fact that seemingly nothing grosses me out. Little do they know that baby diapers make me want to puke!

I had this conversation with my husband awhile ago.

Me: Smell the dog's feet. They smell like fritos!
Him: I'm not smelling dog feet.
Me: Why not? Just tell me if they smell like fritos.
Him: They're feet. They could step in poop. I'm not sticking my face anywhere near their feet.
Me: You let them lick your face, and they eat from the litterbox. But you won't SMELL their feet?

This went on for about 1/2 an hour. Now when we're randomly hanging out on the couch, I'll ask him to sniff the dog feet just to egg him on.

No way. My sleep is precious. I've trained my dogs that you DO NOT WAKE ME UP. They will sleep in until mid-afternoon with me, if I want to sleep that late. The only downside is when I have to wake up for work at 7am, and they peek out from under the covers at me getting ready, then snuggle back in like "you may be getting up all crazy early, but I'm staying here." Takes all my willpower not to get back in and join them. Can you tell I am NOT a morning person?

-When you read this on SDN and then go wake your puppy up to smell her feet and consider if they do in fact smell like fritos.

OMG YES!!! Every time my little yorkie was sound asleep, my younger sister would sniff her paws and go "ooooh it smells soooo toasty and i'd go and run over and sniff it too. We'd then sit their sniffing her paws until she woke up.

my dog's paws smelled a lot like fritos sometimes, but more often than not, it smelled more like an order of fresh bowls of rice that you get at cheap Chinese restaurants.

every time i go eat Chinese food with my boyfriend, I exclaim "OMG Babe, this tastes like the smell of Bambi's foot!!! Awwwww Bambi's foot!!!!" and he does a little facepalm and gets rather embarrassed.

When on a road trip in the countryside, you yell POOOONIES or COWSSSS or SHEEEEEEP or GOATSSS or CHICKENS! at every farm you pass as you gaze happily out the window and your significant other rolls his/her eyes.

Not that I have experience, of course ;)
Thank God I'm not the only one that does that. It's not like I've never seen those animals before but I always feel the need to point them out while driving by like I'm 5 years old again.
Also, I always say "Hi Horsey, why the long face?" to horses staring at me from their trailers as I pass them by on the road.

I am also guilty of smelling my dog's feet...they do smell like corn chips...love it!

OMG YES!!! Every time my little yorkie was sound asleep, my younger sister would sniff her paws and go "ooooh it smells soooo toasty and i'd go and run over and sniff it too. We'd then sit their sniffing her paws until she woke up.

my dog's paws smelled a lot like fritos sometimes, but more often than not, it smelled more like an order of fresh bowls of rice that you get at cheap Chinese restaurants.

every time i go eat Chinese food with my boyfriend, I exclaim "OMG Babe, this tastes like the smell of Bambi's foot!!! Awwwww Bambi's foot!!!!" and he does a little facepalm and gets rather embarrassed.

LOL, I love the smell of corn chip paws! My boyfriend hates it though, so I always thought it was because I loved my dog so much that I found the smell comforting.:love: