Zeiss 1.9 Index

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayk1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high myope and was wondering if it is legal to order Zeiss 1.9 glass from Canada. They want the name of my doc and their phone number as well as my address. Since I live in the USA would they ship the blanks to me? Or would my request be denied because Zeiss 1.9 is not for sale in the USA? I am currently a student and plan on cutting the blanks myself and inserting them into my frames.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a high myope and was wondering if it is legal to order Zeiss 1.9 glass from Canada. They want the name of my doc and their phone number as well as my address. Since I live in the USA would they ship the blanks to me? Or would my request be denied because Zeiss 1.9 is not for sale in the USA? I am currently a student and plan on cutting the blanks myself and inserting them into my frames.

no one in the US can offer or prescribe this material due to thin center thickness, it can shatter too easily, and possibly cause injury. That being said I've no idea if you can get them to ship it to you.

People buy prescription drugs from Canada that are delivered in unmarked boxes. I bet you could get them.

For fun, I once bought doxycycline (for an acne problem) from Canada without an rx. It arrived a couple weeks later in a discreet brown cardboard envelope. It had been shipped to me directly from India. Very interesting. I looked up the pill in the PDR, matching the PDR poto with the pill in my hand to verify it was truly doxycycline. Cleared my acne, too. To be clear, I just wanted to see what would happen, if I could REALLY get something without an rx. I could apparently.

Granted, that was borderline illegal of me. But I can rx orals. If caught, I could always produce an rx for ocular rosacea and get out of trouble. I actually have a mild case of it legitimately. I know, I'm justifying my naughtiness. Actually, for that drug, it was more expensive ordering it from Canada than just getting a generic here! I wouldn't do it again though.

With regards to lens, I'm sure you can get it. It would probably be handled and shipped in a similar fashion. Safety-wise ... if you are willing to take the risk then that's your choice. I don't have any experience with this lens.

The US has lots of laws and sometimes I question them myself. Like ... is this lens worse than heat-tempered glass???

If it is prone to shattering, you may want to order several blanks in case it breaks during edging or mounting. But ... does a high-index plastic-type material really shatter? I thought only glass shattered. I thought plastics broke in chunks.

Does anyone know how this lens compares to heat tempered glass lenses in terms of impact resistance?

Anyway, good luck, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
People buy prescription drugs from Canada that are delivered in unmarked boxes. I bet you could get them.

For fun, I once bought doxycycline (for an acne problem) from Canada without an rx. It arrived a couple weeks later in a discreet brown cardboard envelope. It had been shipped to me directly from India. Very interesting. I looked up the pill in the PDR, matching the PDR poto with the pill in my hand to verify it was truly doxycycline. Cleared my acne, too. To be clear, I just wanted to see what would happen, if I could REALLY get something without an rx. I could apparently.

Granted, that was borderline illegal of me. But I can rx orals. If caught, I could always produce an rx for ocular rosacea and get out of trouble. I actually have a mild case of it legitimately. I know, I'm justifying my naughtiness. Actually, for that drug, it was more expensive ordering it from Canada than just getting a generic here! I wouldn't do it again though.

With regards to lens, I'm sure you can get it. It would probably be handled and shipped in a similar fashion. Safety-wise ... if you are willing to take the risk then that's your choice. I don't have any experience with this lens.

The US has lots of laws and sometimes I question them myself. Like ... is this lens worse than heat-tempered glass???

If it is prone to shattering, you may want to order several blanks in case it breaks during edging or mounting. But ... does a high-index plastic-type material really shatter? I thought only glass shattered. I thought plastics broke in chunks.

Does anyone know how this lens compares to heat tempered glass lenses in terms of impact resistance?

Anyway, good luck, I guess.

the lens he asked about is glass

The only thing that's making me hesitate is the fact that it is glass and will be heavy. How I wish there was 1.9 plastic

In the end I decided not to order. I think it will be too much trouble and unsafe not to mention heavy. I was interested because of the reduced minification as I am a hig myope. I will be going with 1.74 plastic most likely for my next pair.

I'm in Canada, and a high myope (~-10D). I have 2 pairs of specs with Zeiss lenses, one with 1.8 glass and one with 1.9 glass. The 1.8 glass are the specs I wear the most, and I have had them, without incident, since 2001! I much prefer them to my 1.74 or 1.67 plastics. That may be due to frame choice, since the 1.8 glass are in a 39 eyesize, but I've never had any issue with chipping, breakage, weight, etc.... my $0.02!