Deposit deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwa102

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been accepted this round... could you let us know when your tuition deposit deadlines are so we can get some idea as to when waitlists should begin moving?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

JavadiCavity said:
For Pacific:

1st Deposit due: Jan. 15 ($1000)

2nd Deposti due: April 15 ($2000)

Columbia:

Jan 15 ($1,000)

May 1 ($500)

Members don't see this ad :)
There really are no "deadlines"....as a waitlisted student I understand what you are going through. The reality is most people (with exception to those accepted at more than 3 schools) will put down money to save their seat at 2-3 schools and put off their decision until they absolutely need to make it (ie May, June, July, even August). The deposits at some of these schools arent a big enough deterrent to force some of the accepted students to make a choice. Seriously, we all have worked hard to get where we are and spent a good amount of money, whats another x amount of dollars to save a seat in a professional school? I realize its adding more fuel to the fire (ie spending more money) but what is worth more to an applicant: peace of mind or saving a few hundred bucks? Some might argue with me but many look at waiting to make their decision about which school to go to in this manner.

Personally, I wanted to save my seat at two schools....fortunately my parents stepped in and told me I should make a choice not only to save money but to sit down and ponder and just come to a decision (i.e. who wants to make a huge decision today anyway, when tomorrow looks so much better?)

In the end, while there are deposit deadlines, most have already passed. I know at Temple it was 4/1 for the second deposit. So, while there are actual deadlines, most of the time people can buy as much time as they want to make a decision....and usually end up waiting until 1-3 months before school starts to do so. The reality is there are no actual deadlines. A person could put down a deposit at however many schools they want to, not inform the schools they choose not to attend, and show up to class the first day at whichever dental school they wanted to attend, thus forcing the uninformed schools to not know their actual enrollment until the first day of school. This is why there is a lot of waitlist activity right before school starts, the day school starts and even the first week of class.

It sounds like pre-meds have an absolute deadline (May 15??)...maybe I misinterpreted that on the Pre-Allo threads. I know for sure PhD's have deadlines and once they choose one school they cannot switch after a certain date under penalty of losing their spot at both schools. They have to sign waivers to this effect.

Admittedly what Bullfan said is true, but I'm not sure that that many applicants will be willing to shell out, say, an extra $2000 for a school they likely won't attend. So I'd think that some spots will open up as each school's second deposit deadline rolls around (just for the record - UMDNJ's second deposit of $2k was due May 1); but yeah, some people will wait around until the day after classes start to cancel their other accceptances.

The 5/15 deadline for those pre-meds still holding on to multiple acceptances is true, by the way

Tzips said:
Admittedly what Bullfan said is true, but I'm not sure that that many applicants will be willing to shell out, say, an extra $2000 for a school they likely won't attend.

In terms of shelling out a lot of money to the privates to save your seat (At Temple it comes out to $1500...I think BU is $2000) I agree. Most people wouldnt spend that much just to see it disappear and not be used for anything tangible (although at one time it served a purpose...holding your spot at a school). However, there are those that will and probably have done so. Funny thing is at some of these schools (mostly public, state schools) the deposit is ridiculously funny...I know at Southern IL its $80!!!!! Thats Jim Rome "hilariousss" type of money. Truth is, however, we all want to weigh out our best options and waiting/putting off a decision unfortunately is one of the largest components of doing so.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. I still think it a useful exercise to list tuition deposit dates however... I do not dispute the claim that many people will in fact pay deposits at multiple schools to prolong their having to make a decision, but there surely must exist people for which a tuition deposit deadline doubles as a decision deadline.

The moral of the story is that being on a waitlist sucks and I should've cared in college. That being said, all information which sheds light on the possibility of any waitlists moving, as is evidenced by me, greatly appreciated.

If you are really worried about your chances of getting into Temple, call Brian and he will help you. I called last week and he told me that there were 200 people on that list, it was ranked by upper third, mid third and bottom third. Not specific at all, but helps a bit, give the school and call to see where you are.

Hey Bwa102,

For the schools where you said you didn't hear anything from, did you go to those interviews already? or have you not heard anything from them at all? Also, when did you apply? You rocked your dats.

So just organising this (yeah, I'm bored :rolleyes: ). Hope this helps!

Columbia: $500, 5/1
UMDNJ: $2000, 5/1
UoP: $2000, 4/15

Appreciate the advice... I have in fact called Brian at Temple and was told I am in the top 1/3 of the 200 person waitlist. Last year, I hear they got nearly half way through their waitlist, so supposedly there's hope.

ucd... I never did in fact get an interview from NYU or BU, but I applied extremely late in the process (I think I was in the #8800 range having applied late December). I'm not really holding out hope for any of these schools save Temple, which is pretty much the only place that has been willing to keep me up to date on my status.

As far as my DAT scores, I did end up doing pretty well, though the AA score is a bit deceiving. I got a 30 on QR and a 24 on RC, so that skews my otherwise unimpressive 19 TS. Fact of the matter is that I'm assuming if someone gets a 30 on any section of the DAT, they are gonna get an interview even with a subpar GPA.

Arizona: $1000, 5/1
Columbia: $500, 5/1
UMDNJ: $2000, 5/1
UoP: $2000, 4/15
USC: $1000, 5/1

Though I agree with Bullfan, I think the kind of money above will force many to make that decision rather than send another $500-$2000 "down the drain". I expect that now that 5/1 is passed (a very common date for 2nd deposits), many of those on various waitlists will see movement shortly.