current Canadian DO students, pls read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optoed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!

I'm a Canadian pre-medical student who is in the process of applying to DO medical schools. Fortunately, I've been granted interviews with 3 schools so far.

As an international student,
1) I would like to find out if Canadian DO students are eligible for AOA residencies.
I understand that host institutions would have to sponsor students with VISA, which makes domestic applicants more preferred than international applicants.
2)Have you met any Canadian students matched into AOA residencies? Please share ANY pertinent information
3) what is the approximate match ratio between AOA vs. ACGME resiencies at your school.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!:):)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian citizen who finished up at a DO school in May and began an ACGME residency in July. It's my understanding that AOA residency programs do not accept non-US citizens or green card holders - they're not at all familiar with visas.

Another VERY important piece of information of which you should be aware is that if you're planning on eventually going back to Canada to practice, you have to complete an ACGME residency program (the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons will not recognize AOA residency programs). Also, the length of residency programs for some specialties differs between Canadian and American residencies. For instance, anesthesiology and neurology are 4 year programs in the US whereas they are 5 years in length in Canada. This means that if you plan on going back to Canada, an ACGME fellowship must be completed in order to have equivalent years of training. On the flip side, Family Medicine in the US is a 3-year residency while in Canada it's only 2 years in length.

In my case, I matched at a 4-year categorical ACGME PM&R residency and will then complete a 1-year Pain or Sports Medicine fellowship. I used the Optional Practical Training extension of my F-1 student visa for my first year residency and my program director was kind of enough to sponsor me for an H1-B visa, which will cover me for the remainder of my residency.

My school had more students match at AOA than ACGME programs. The school administrators will tell students it's because "our students were proud of the osteopathic tradition and" blah blah blah. My perspective is that the more ACGME matches a DO is able to obtain, the more competitive the crop of students that school was able to produce.

A good source of information is the Canadian Osteopathic Association website osteopathic.ca

Please feel free to PM me with any further questions or concerns.

I know of three people in my class that are Canadians. All are currently looking for ACGME programs, and all want to return to Canada at some point in time. Thus it seems its possible. Also, I seem to remember that some provinces will grant you a license even after an AOA residency, but that no AOA programs will take Canadians. I remember hearing from an American DO who did an AOA EM residency who worked in Canada. Guy said there was some hoops to jump through though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the detailed response!!

What's the best way to find out the ACGME match rate at DO schools, since most schools do not separate their match list by MD or DO residencies? I'm especially interested in NSU, AZCOM and LMU-DCOM. I suppose contacting the residency coordinator?

I'm a Canadian citizen who finished up at a DO school in May and began an ACGME residency in July. It's my understanding that AOA residency programs do not accept non-US citizens or green card holders - they're not at all familiar with visas.

Another VERY important piece of information of which you should be aware is that if you're planning on eventually going back to Canada to practice, you have to complete an ACGME residency program (the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons will not recognize AOA residency programs). Also, the length of residency programs for some specialties differs between Canadian and American residencies. For instance, anesthesiology and neurology are 4 year programs in the US whereas they are 5 years in length in Canada. This means that if you plan on going back to Canada, an ACGME fellowship must be completed in order to have equivalent years of training. On the flip side, Family Medicine in the US is a 3-year residency while in Canada it's only 2 years in length.

In my case, I matched at a 4-year categorical ACGME PM&R residency and will then complete a 1-year Pain or Sports Medicine fellowship. I used the Optional Practical Training extension of my F-1 student visa for my first year residency and my program director was kind of enough to sponsor me for an H1-B visa, which will cover me for the remainder of my residency.

My school had more students match at AOA than ACGME programs. The school administrators will tell students it's because "our students were proud of the osteopathic tradition and" blah blah blah. My perspective is that the more ACGME matches a DO is able to obtain, the more competitive the crop of students that school was able to produce.

A good source of information is the Canadian Osteopathic Association website osteopathic.ca

Please feel free to PM me with any further questions or concerns.

Check the DO Match Lists threads - students will post their school's match list and it usually has the AOA or ACGME designation somewhere in there. Remember, in order to be licensed and board certified in Canada as it stands right now, you must complete ACGME training... AOA GME is NOT recognized!

Hey cbest, I'm a first year AZCOM kid from Alberta. Mind if I fire you a PM with close to a jillion questions (not at all an exaggeration ;))?

Fire away - always happy to help Canadians doing the DO thing!

Check the DO Match Lists threads - students will post their school's match list and it usually has the AOA or ACGME designation somewhere in there. Remember, in order to be licensed and board certified in Canada as it stands right now, you must complete ACGME training... AOA GME is NOT recognized!

awesome. thanks!!

Quick question cbest.

I'm a 1st year at KCUMB and from Ontario. If you get into a dually acredited residency I don't believe you have to write the USMLE's. Do you know if that is currently OK with the provincial medical associations (in general - I realize there will be provincial differences) or will you still need to write the USMLE's? I'm thinking the latter, but hoping for the former.

Thanks

Technically, you aren't required to take the USMLEs at all no matter what stream of residency (ACGME vs AOA) you match into. More and more provinces are accepting the COMLEX series for licensing purposes. As DOs, though, it may still be a requirement to take the MCCEE but I'm hoping they do away with that rule by the time I'm ready to make the trip back to Canada, if that's how things shake out for me personally.

Lots of DOs match into ACGME accredited residencies every year with just the COMLEX and most provinces are recognizing the COMLEX series as equivalent to the USMLE series. There will likely be an extra hoop or two to jump through to get back to Canada for DO still, but it's getting better all the time.

Thanks. I'm hoping things streamline a bit too. I was thinking I would have to take COMLEX, USMLE and MCCEE to cover all my bases. Hopefully just the COMLEX and maybe the MCCEE.

All the best.

I'm planning on taking both the Comlex and USMLE step 1 just to be safe.

As one who has been involved in osteopathic licensure in Canada for over 30 years and still involved actively let me set the record straight. To return to Canada you need to do an ACGME residency. At this time the AOA residency will not get you a license in Canada. The Federation of Medical Regulatory Authorities of Canada, an organization made up of the registrars of each province have just issued a statement in Feb. 2011 that set a Canadian standard for full licensure(http:www.amr-dim.ca/Canadian_standard_licensure.html). As a U.S. osteopathic graduate you do qualify, but you must do an ACGME residency. You will also in the future be required to have the L.M.C.C.. Today to obtain the L.M.C.C. one has two options. If one does an accredited residency in the United States(ACGME) then one only needs to do Part 1 and Part 2, the Evaluating Exam is then not required. However if one goes directly in to a Canadian residency then one must do the Evaluating Exam( see the Carms matching website who I recently clarified this position with). Currently the Medical Council of Canada is apparently reviewing its position regarding the Evaluating Exam for osteopathic graduates and this may change but for now the above is the case. The Canadian standard alluded to above is expected to be in place across the board in 2012 so this will be what most current students can expect. There are also being guidelines made for "provisional licensure" but these are not out yet. Yes in the future one can hope AOA residencies will be accepted but don't count on it as these things don't tend to change too quickly,especially since it has just been reviewed. Further if you do complete an ACGME residency remember that often U.S. residencies are shorter for specialization than their Canadian counterparts. One often has to do one further year of fellowship(not a problem) to match the Royal College requirements. In particular if one does an ACGME residency in Emergency Medicine one needs to be particularily careful in that in Canada five years are required for specialization certification through the Royal College. Alternatively one can complete a Family medicine residency in Canada followed by one year of training in Emergency medicine and achieve certification through the Canadian Family Medicine certification route. If one wishes the Canadian College of Family Physicians( I believe that is the name) will grant certification to any graduate of a U.S. family medicine program(ACGME) who passes the U.S. family practice exams. However in the future as one can see the Medical Council exams appear to be required. As for the USMLE, they are not necessarily required to gain entrance to an ACGME residency. COMLEX will suffice, however some programs you wish for may want USMLE. Comlex is accepted currently in Canada in several provinces including Ontario as equivalent, however with this new Canadian standard I wouldn't count on this to continue. Bottom line, stay tuned. Things may change, but for now anticipate doing the Medical Council exams.

Thanks Cando. I have to admit that this part is a bit murky for me so I will have to spend some time mapping out my various plans of action to make sure I don't miss anything. For now though, I am focused on just getting through all my school exams. Perhaps over Christmas I will do some more digging.

Yes, thank you. The information is much appreciated. I was under the impression that you had to take USMLE step to get an MD residency. I'm going to do a bit more research on this topic also!

Cando you're like 5 different kinds of awesome. Thanks for the massive clarifications.

drgio - how it works is that most ACGME residencies know what the COMLEX is, but they don't always have a great idea on how it is scored. For the super DO friendly residencies (IM, FM, PM&R, etc.) most of the programs will take the COMLEX, they know what it is, and it's all you need.

But - for other programs, the PD's don't really know what the COMLEX is, how the scores work and they have no care to learn. So in their mind they can't really rank you against other applicants and as such they file you app away into the round filing cabinet under the desk. It is a good idea to at least do Step I of the USMLE so that way you can apply to all of the programs and all the PD's will know how awesome your 235 is (versus knowing what a 530 is on the COMLEX).

There's a slight caveat here though, at least in my mind. If you're going to write the USMLE and only get say a 200 (average is ~225) then it may be best to not write it, keep your COMLEX and hope some ignorance on the part of the PD's works in your favor

So I got some answers for the question: Are Canadian DO students eligible for AOA residencies? (as a back up, because Canadian residencies are almost impossible to get in and ACGME residency spots are steadily decreasing in the next few years - http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMhpr1107519)

1) AOA Postdoctoral Program - [email protected]

Our standards require graduation from an accredited College of Osteopathic Medicine. There is no requirement regarding citizenship where the standard is met.

Elizabeth Freeman, Asst. Director
Division of Postdoctoral Training
PTRC Secretary
800/621/1773, Ext. 8058

2) MSU-COM: Associate Dean

Thank you for your question. Your question is actually combines a couple of different issues. When you attend and graduate from a college of osteopathic medicine (COM), you earn a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) degree. All osteopathic postdoctoral programs are open to graduates of COMs. The opportunity to train in AOA programs is determined by your degree and not your citizenship. A significant number of DOs are accepted and train in ACGME-accredited programs, that is, allopathic postdoctoral institutions. Thus, your postdoctoral options include both DO and MD programs. Regardless of whether you train in AOA or ACGME programs, the matter of visa status applies equally to all non-USA citizens. Programs involved in sponsoring international candidates accept the fact that a lot of time and paper shuffling is required on the part of the hospital. While it might be easier to select a US citizen over a non-US to avoid the bureaucratic hassle, it has been my experience that the programs are out to select the best qualified candidate. If the leading candidate is a non-US citizen then he/she is selected and the paperwork is part of the process of attracting highly qualified trainees. When it comes to visa issues, the federal rules apply to both osteopathic and allopathic programs in the same way. If you have any follow up questions, feel free to write or call. mark

Mark Cummings, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Statewide Campus System
A-336 East Fee Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-432-2853 (office)
517-884-6269 (direct)
[email protected]

I've been in contact with a resident (R2) who is Canadian (not a dual citizen) and a graduate from NSU. She clarified some of the Visa issues that we would have as Canadians. This is a long post, but I hope it helps. If you have any questions, feel free to post. I'll bunch them up and get more answers from her. Residents in general have pretty crazy schedules, so just be patient =)

About NSU:
Firstly, I think NSU is a great school. Like all schools, it has its pros and cons, but it is established, well-known, in an awesome location and is affiliated with many great clinical sites. I am happy with the education I received here and I think you will have a great experience here.

Since NSU does not have its own teaching hospital, there are about 12-14 clinical tracks throughout Florida, most of which are in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. You are assigned to a track based on a lottery system, and most people do actually get their first or second choice. About 60-70% of my class matched into an ACGME residency, some of which were very competitive. Keep in mind that most ACGME residencies do accept the COMLEX and do not require the USMLE (The COMLEX is the board exam for DOs and is written at the same time frame as the USMLE; Step 1 after 2nd year, Step 2 after 3rd year, Step 3 during residency). Also, as a Canadian DO student, you are considered a US grad and NOT a foreign/international medical grad.

ABOUT RESIDENCY
Once you are accepted to any US school, you have 2 choices: do your residency in the USA or return to Canada. As an osteopathic graduate, you can return to Ontario for residency and are considered in the same stream as Canadian graduates, however, you will have to take the MCCEE licensing exam (in addition to the COMLEX for the USA, USMLE is optional). Up until recently, a DO could only match into Fam Med in Ontario, but it appears that this has changed: http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml. Regardless, it will be very competitive to match into a Canadian residency, and you will likely have to do at least one elective during your 4th year in a Canadian program. Malpractice insurance does become an issue with this, but NSU is willing to cover students who go to Canada for electives.Your other option is staying in the USA.

ABOUT US VISA DURING RESIDENCY
As a medical student, you will be on an F-1 VISA, but once you start residency you will have to change to a work visa: the J1 or H1B.

The J1 is offered everywhere and is easy to get, and DOs are now eligible for this VISA as per the government of Canada (there was some issue with this is the past). The drawback is that once you complete residency, you are required to return to your home country (Canada) for 2 years before coming back to the USA, OR get a J1 waiver which removes that restriction but requires you to work in a rural or underserved area for at least 2 years.

The other visa is the H1B which is valid for 3 years at a time up to a total of 6 years, after which an employer can sponsor you for the green card. However, this visa is becoming more and more difficult to get...very few hospitals offer it and can really limit the residency programs you apply to if this is the only visa you want. Also, you are required to have taken Step 3 before applying for this visa, but you can't take this until you graduate med school. Fortunately, you can work the first year of residency under an extension of student visa called an OPT. This is what I did and am currently on an H1B visa. Very few fellowship programs offer the H1B visa as well, so this is something to consider as well. Maybe you'll get lucky and marry an American! This link from the Canadian Osteopathic Association has more details: http://www.osteopathic.ca/faq.htm.

OTHER QUESTIONS
1. I understand the AOA residencies are quite out of reach for international students (Canadians included). Is this true? Did you apply to any?
-I did not apply to any AOA residencies and I suggest that you do not either if you want to keep the option of practicing in Ontario open. Currently, all provinces only accept DO graduates if they have completed an ACGME accredited residency in the USA. Dually accredited residencies are also accepted. Once you complete your first year of residency, you fill out a form to send to the AOA to get "approval", and then you will take the appropriate board exam once you complete residency.

2. From some of the official stat's I've seen, 70% of DO students who apply for allopathic residencies are accepted. In your experience, how difficult was it to apply for ACGMC/dual accredited residencies as a Canadian student? I would think that residencies will prefer US DO students over Canadian DO students b/c of they do not have to sponsor work VISAs. What is your experience?
If you are ok with getting the J1 visa, then you have no problem. The more desirable H1B visa will limit your options for residency. You will have to do your research in your 3rd year to see what hospitals are offering the H1B sponsorship and apply to those programs. The best thing to set you apart from US MD/DO students would be doing electives there so they get to know you. If the hospital is non-profit, they are not required to pay your visa fees and would therefore be more likely to offer sponsorship since it is not costing them anything. I was lucky enough to have my 3rd year rotations scheduled at a hospital that offered the H1B, so they knew me very well and I liked their program, so it worked out. It also depends on what residency you are applying for. Less competitive residencies such as FM, IM, Peds would be easier than surgery, radiology, derm, etc.

3. Have you met other Canadians students from NSU or other DO schools? If so, what are some of their experiences, in terms of residencies or anything else?
There are a few Canadian students at my school, most of which have their green card or US citizenship. One resident is in Peds and was also lucky enough to match at a program that offered the H1B here in Miami. Another resident actually matched at UofT for pathology, but I think he had some kind of internal connection. In general, many hospitals in big cities in the northeast (NYC, DC, Philly) as well as Chicago have many programs/hospitals that offer H1B sponsorship.

Could I get some clarification. In Florida can one train on an educational license right out of school in an ACGME residency or does one have to obtain the prerequisite first year of AOA training first. I recognize one has to complete AOA accredited training for full licensure but can one train in Florida in an ACGME accredited residency without this one year of AOA training?

Could I get some clarification. In Florida can one train on an educational license right out of school in an ACGME residency or does one have to obtain the prerequisite first year of AOA training first. I recognize one has to complete AOA accredited training for full licensure but can one train in Florida in an ACGME accredited residency without this one year of AOA training?

I just relayed the question to her. Hope she answers soon =)