SLU vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnP500

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between SLU and Tulane. I will be OOS for both. They both have similar dedicated step time and match lists.

SLU

Pros

True pass/fail with no rankings during first two years

Lower COA (about 20k less than Tulane so comes out to 80k over the four years)

Cons

Limited research opportunities

St. Louis is one of the most dangerous cities in America

Tulane

Pros

Finish third year two months before most schools so more elective time

DeBakey Scholars Program so better research opportunities

Cons

Not true pass/fail for the first two years (has quartile rankings)

More expensive

If anyone has other pros/cons about either school, I’d love to hear them.

Members don't see this ad.

"St. Louis is one of the most dangerous cities in America". huh???? Its not fam

Reactions: 3 users
Saint Louis itself isn’t that dangerous. If you cross the river to Illinois and somehow end up in East St. Louis, which is a COMPLETELY different city, then yes it’s dangerous. It is kinda boring though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not be too concerned about the crime statistics. Many conflate the city and county, despite the city being independent. Are there areas of the city with high crime rates? Absolutely. Are you likely to go to those areas as a SLU student? Not really. I lived in St. Louis for years, including two years doing a master's at SLU right across the street from the med school. If crime is high on your list, then don't be deterred by St. Louis.

My M4 SLU tour guide said he had taken advantage of research opportunities at WashU

Reactions: 1 user
St Louis city has high crime, but if you were to combine the metropolitan area, like maplewood etc it would be around average with other cities. Most cities has higher crime near the center, STL is no different, but unique since it is an independent city so its statistics are much more skewed compared to chicago, new york, etc bc those include the entire metropolitan area. As an independent city only the downtown area gets counted in its statistics.

One pro of SLU that will be that it has a new hospital being built which you will be able to rotate in.

As for the things to do in New Orleans vs Saint Louis, I can't really speak much about that as I haven't been to New Orleans. We have a lot of nice food in Saint Louis, forest park, science center, musuems and stufff and Mardi gras here is the biggest one outside of New orleans is about all I know comparitvely. Although let me tell about that missouri weather hahahaha.......

I don't think quartile rankings for year 1-2 will matter that much. Residency programs will care more about your step 1 and clinical grades than your pre-clinical quartile rankings. Not saying you should go to Tulane, but just that this alone shouldn't deter you too much.

Personally, I interviewed at SLU during my cycle and really liked it. It felt like they were very focused on making sure their students were doing well academically and emotionally, with a lot of efforts placed on student support that I didn't see elsewhere. I ended up at my state school because it was cheaper though.

Trying to decide between SLU and Tulane. I will be OOS for both. They both have similar dedicated step time and match lists.

SLU

Pros

True pass/fail with no rankings during first two years

Lower COA (about 20k less than Tulane so comes out to 80k over the four years)

Cons

Limited research opportunities

St. Louis is one of the most dangerous cities in America

Tulane

Pros

Finish third year two months before most schools so more elective time

DeBakey Scholars Program so better research opportunities

Cons

Not true pass/fail for the first two years (has quartile rankings)

More expensive

If anyone has other pros/cons about either school, I’d love to hear them.

If you look on MSAR the COA difference is actually 10k! :)

Regarding research, I agree that WashU gives SLU a boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Tulane, but I’m biased towards NOLA. I like the city better.

Only downside to Tulane (to me) is that it might be challenging to network during Mardi Gras lol

I would go to Tulane. Far better research opportunities that will set you up for your future better than at SLU.

Would go with the school that has a lower overall cost of attendance! Both of them will give you the same education but you don’t want to be paying off an extra $80,000 after graduating!

Reactions: 1 users
Tulane. New Orleans is fantastic, so much more to do!

This person hates STL for some reason I see them trolling all the posts there. But STL is amazing and cheaper and not a lot of crime in the areas near the schools! Lots of amazing faculty around

Reactions: 1 users