current Tulane students from out-of-state...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gotigers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there--

i was recently accepted at Tulane med (yaayyyyyy)...i love it there and had an incredible time down in new orleans. i've never met a more enthusiastic group of students and faculty and immediately moved tulane to the top of my list. i was also accepted at my state school (michigan state) and wondered...have any of you out-of-staters regretted paying twice as much to study at tulane (assuming you also got into your state school)? is the great atmosphere and quality of life at tulane worth the extra money? just thought i'd ask for advice from people who have gone through it already. as a person about to go into med school it's tough to judge which is more important: debt or school choice. thanks a lot for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I registered just to give you a reply.

I came from FLA to Tulane and I've really enjoyed it. The faculty treats you well (like colleagues) and are very helpful. The patients are interesting and the hospital experience can be whatever you like (urban, private, rural, rich, poor). Some departments are a little shady (like OB/GYN), but that's more of a concern for residents.

Of course, my classmates are awesome. I really believe that. We have a few guys with psychopathology, but the majority are just great people who I'm glad I met.

As far as NOLA, it teaches you alot about poverty and makes you appreciate everything you have even more. There's alot of illiteracy and stupidity, but I find the people down to earth and really likeable. If you're tolerant to the problems of a struggling city, it can be a great learning experience.

I wouldn't choose any of the programs in FL (I declined all my interviews there) over the experience Tulane gives. I learned alot about people that I would not have otherwise.

gotigers said:
hey there--

i was recently accepted at Tulane med (yaayyyyyy)...i love it there and had an incredible time down in new orleans. i've never met a more enthusiastic group of students and faculty and immediately moved tulane to the top of my list. i was also accepted at my state school (michigan state) and wondered...have any of you out-of-staters regretted paying twice as much to study at tulane (assuming you also got into your state school)? is the great atmosphere and quality of life at tulane worth the extra money? just thought i'd ask for advice from people who have gone through it already. as a person about to go into med school it's tough to judge which is more important: debt or school choice. thanks a lot for your time!

thanks so much for the reply, can't even tell you how much it helps to hear current students' opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not from out of state, but I am a second year at Tulane. I have to say that I am really happy about being here. Most of the students get along with each other very well, and it definately is not a competitive atmosphere. I think Tulane and the city as a whole has a very friendly environment. People tend to be pretty laid back. While the idea of working at Charity hospital is a little scary for me personally, I am also excited because I know it will give me an opportunity to see many things you wouldnt normally see elsewhere. I don't think you would be disappointed if you choose to go to Tulane. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

hi, i'm considering applying to tulane. what do you mean the ob/gyn department is "shady"? also, do they give preference to in-state applicants?

Thanks!

hey there--

I'm a second year at Tulane and LOVE it! It's an amazing school and I think that on the whole, we are a very happy group of students. I had someone comment recently who came in to give a presentation that Tulane students were some of the happiest med students she's ever seen, and that there seems to be good relationships between them. I'd say that is true. I have stressed very little this year, mostly because the atmosphere is one of camaraderie and because people are interesting and want to enjoy life.

As someone from California- I didn't get a chance to go to any of my state schools (which I think explains the reason we have like, 50 people from Cali in our class!), but that's a tough choice. I probably would have gone for the state tuition if UCLA had wanted me ;)

You need to be happy where you are in school, but debt is something to think about. That being said, whenever I freak out about how much it costs to go to med school, doctors and residents tell me to chill out, it will be OK.

If it is any consolation- there are a huge number of Tulane students who choose to go into primary care specialties, despite the high amount of debt. Our 4th years have said that they've found that there are a lot of opportunities to get debt repaid, especially in primary care, depending on where you choose to practice.

If you love Tulane (which is an awesome place!) and you feel like you'd fit in well here and be happy, I think that's a strong case. But if you're going to save $200K, it might be something to consider.

If you have any other questions about the school- you can PM me!

Unless you absolutely hated MSU and absolutely loved Tulane, go to MSU. Save that money. Your future-self will thank your present-self.
Those classmates will come and go, but that debt will stick with you forever.

Unless you absolutely hated MSU and absolutely loved Tulane, go to MSU. Save that money. Your future-self will thank your present-self.

Amen my brother!!

His future self is now present self. He could be almost an attending now. 2004 was a bad time to go to New Orleans, though.

His future self is now present self. He could be almost an attending now. 2004 was a bad time to go to New Orleans, though.
LOL! Who the fudge unearthed this thread?!?! I didn't even see the date, doh.

Moment of silence for the poor souls who got caught in Katrina.

Holy necro-bump, Batman.

OK, this thread is 7 years old and in this day and age I'd move it to Pre-Allo... but since it IS the necrobump that it is, I'm just going to close it and if the person who bumped it has questions, they can post those in a school-specific thread in the Pre-Allo forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.