*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is applying to 30 schools too much? Anybody have any personal experience applying to this many schools? I have a FAP fee waiver and "lowish" stats, so that's why I'm considering applying to so many.

Yes, applying to 30 medical schools is a bit much..try to complete as many secondaries as you can before secondaries start coming in (I submitted my application on June 4th and got my first secondary on June 20). There's an sdn link where people post previous secondaries, last year's secondaries: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823374, I did my last year using 2010-2011 secondaries during my application and they were mostly identical when the emails started rolling in.
Lastly, some of the schools have rolling admissions which means you want to submit your secondary application asap. Start with those schools first.
It can be done, gl!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I'm declaring a second major this week (haven't decided if I'm going to do it yet) but have already submitted my official transcript to AMCAS, will I have to resubmit a second transcript that has my newly declared major on it?

can someone help me out...? I have 9 poster presentations to list (3 regional/national and 6 on campus)- all dealing with the same research project.

Format is: Authors, date, title, location

my 3 regional/national poster presentations would be classified under "Presentations/posters" and I don't have a problem fitting those in the description box

however, I can only fit 3/6 of my campus poster presentations under "Research" in the description box...this also doesn't give me room to describe my research...I really don't want to classify this as "meaningful experience" just so I have more room...

any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I searched this thread but did not find anyone with my problem. I will try to call AMCAS tomorrow but thought I'd try here.

I have a previous AMCAS ID/password from my MCAT. I used that to log in today and start my application. All was okay until I had to set my username/password; the instructions say to use the previous info. It won't let me use my old pw because I used symbols in it. The error message tells me to only used letters and numbers. When I try to enter a new pw, however, there is an error that it doesn't match my old one.

Ugh. Catch-22! Has anyone else had/solved this problem?

Call AMCAS tomorrow, explain the situation, give them details about your account so they know it's really you, and ask them to reset the password.

Will do - thanks! Need to get started on this app if it takes anything near as long as entering all my info in TMDSAS....

can someone help me out...? I have 9 poster presentations to list (3 regional/national and 6 on campus)- all dealing with the same research project.

Format is: Authors, date, title, location

my 3 regional/national poster presentations would be classified under "Presentations/posters" and I don't have a problem fitting those in the description box

however, I can only fit 3/6 of my campus poster presentations under "Research" in the description box...this also doesn't give me room to describe my research...I really don't want to classify this as "meaningful experience" just so I have more room...

any advice?
The campus posters aren't worth listing. You could mention them in passing in your research description but citations of them are not necessary

As a neuroscience major, but in a school where professors are either psych or bio, I had a bit of a difficulty classifying my courses.

If I have too many "errors" classifying my courses will my application be delayed?

Also, some of my course were dual departmental. I just listed the course numbers for both departments as it shows on my transcript. Is that right?

Question about repeats. Do we put "Repeat" for both classes (the original, and when we repeated), or just the repeat?

Regarding AP credits on my transcript, I have "AP Calc AB" twice on the transcript. I can only remember taking one AP calc in high school. Do I enter both as it is printed on the transcript? Or do I just enter one? This is also the same case with "US History" and "AP Government". They each appear twice on the transcript and I got credit twice for each of them. What do I do in this case?

I've searched the thread but I'm still very confused... For 'schools attended', under "Is a transcript required"?', what if I've taken AP courses at my high school?
Courses Taken While in High School

Many students attempt college-level courses while still in high school. These primarily fall into the two following categories:

AP (Advanced Placement) Prep Courses/Exams

Unless credit has been granted by a U.S. or Canadian institution or university for an AP prep course or an AP exam, such information should not be listed on the application. If credit has been granted, courses/exams should be listed according to the instructions regarding AP credit. Do not send high school transcripts or AP test scores to AMCAS.

Do I say 'yes'? I'm really confused.. When I do click yes, it just takes me to whether I want to prepare a 'trascript request form'.. but I don't do that for high school grades...right?

I've searched the thread but I'm still very confused... For 'schools attended', under "Is a transcript required"?', what if I've taken AP courses at my high school?

Do I say 'yes'? I'm really confused.. When I do click yes, it just takes me to whether I want to prepare a 'trascript request form'.. but I don't do that for high school grades...right?

I have not gotten this far, but I have already done it on TMDSAS, so maybe this will help.

While the AP classes are taken during HS, they are listed during Freshman year on your University transcript. If you have already entered your transcript request for your University, I would imagine another is not required.

Again, I haven't done this on AMCAS yet, so maybe this is not possible? On TMDSAS, I just entered my AP credit as part of my Freshman term.

Also, for AP credits, my school just wrote the number of units i received, not 'credit hours'. For example it says: "STATS UNASSIGNED LD 4.0 units'.. is the 'units' the credit hours? so i put 4? Weird, because for AP Euro, it says 8 units..

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Stafford Loans and Work Study Programs are considered federal assistance programs? Thanks!

AMCAS Manual:

It's a bit ambiguous... based on the manual, I'd only check it for the repeated course and not the original. Call AMCAS for their answer, too.

Yea, I read that and had no idea either. I'll call them I guess.

It is a reasonable approach, for the sake of faster verification, as you don't know how competitive you will be until you see the score, and schools you'd apply to would vary widely if you got a 28 vs a 38.

The only drawback of submitting without knowing the score would be if your score is well below expectations and unlikely to appeal to any school, in which case you are out the initial AMCAS fee for a single school.

Sorry, I'm still confused. I'm on the same boat..

1)So if I apply with one school in early June, and do well (assuming I get my scores end of June), I can add other schools even when I submitted the amcas?

2) And if I do bad, and decide to re-take the MCAT, can I retake, then add more schools in July? (I know i'tll prob be considered late.. i'm still sending w/out mcat ealry june.).

https://www.cfda.gov/index?s=program&mode=form&tab=step1&id=021de1bd64c58dcaaf526e5443d6cfef

Based on this, Work-Study is considered a Federal Assistance Program.

The question "Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?" appears in the childhood section, though, for until 18 years old... I wonder if Work-Study really counts.

That's a bit of a stretch. If we are going to go there, we might as well count everyone who ever ate a full-price school lunch at a school that also serves reduced price and free lunches because even the full-price lunch is subsidized by the federal government.

With tuition and fees running >$30,000 year at some schools, many students who are not "poor" are receiving work-study funds to off-set the cost of education. That is NOT what AMCAS is trying to tease out. The question about federal or state assistance is referring to age 0-18 (which rules out most work-study jobs anyway) and is referring to things like welfare, section 8 housing, Medicaid (medical coverage for the poor and disabled), and food stamps/LINK. It is a tangible way of determining if you lived your childhood below or close to the federal poverty line.

Sorry, I'm still confused. I'm on the same boat..

1)So if I apply with one school in early June, and do well (assuming I get my scores end of June), I can add other schools even when I submitted the amcas?

2) And if I do bad, and decide to re-take the MCAT, can I retake, then add more schools in July? (I know i'tll prob be considered late.. i'm still sending w/out mcat ealry june.).

From AMCAS FAQs:
Can I add schools after I certify and submit my initial AMCAS application?

Yes. You may re-enter your certified and submitted AMCAS application at any time to add additional medical school choices or designations, as long as the deadline has not passed for the school you wish to add. You must re-certify and resubmit the application at that time, and this must be done by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) of the deadline day. Re-certifying and resubmitting your application will not cause any processing delays, but you will be required to submit payment of $34/school.

No one will have deadlines in July, so you should be fine.

2 questions:

On the AMCAS application it asks me "Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?". My father lived in federal housing projects and his family was on food stamps from time to time, but that was 40+ years ago when he was a child. Should I answer yes?

Second question: I took a couple CLEP tests during highschool. I also took courses at my local community college during highschool after that. The CLEP credits show up on the transcript of the community college, as well as the 4 year institution I attend now. How should I put this on my application?

2 questions:

On the AMCAS application it asks me "Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?". My father lived in federal housing projects and his family was on food stamps from time to time, but that was 40+ years ago when he was a child. Should I answer yes?

The "have you or members of your immediate family..." question refers to the period of time between your birth and your 18th birthday.

Second question: I took a couple CLEP tests during highschool. I also took courses at my local community college during highschool after that. The CLEP credits show up on the transcript of the community college, as well as the 4 year institution I attend now. How should I put this on my application?

If you attend more than 1 institution (post-bacc, etc), all credits the new college accepts will transfer and show up in your records. For this reason, I am only entering each class once, under the first university where the credit was given. So if you are sending a transcript from the CC, just include it there.

Figured I will try again here....

If my transcript lists bio lecture and lab courses as follows:

Biology 4000 5 credits
Lab for Bio 4000 0 credits

Do I have to enter the "and Lab" designation to the Biology 4000 class when entering into AMCAS? I know I will have to check the box that states whether the class included a lab or not. The lecture credit includes the lab credit, but as you can see, my transcript lists the lab separately as well.

I know the rule of thumb is to follow whatever your transcript states, but would entering into AMCAS as:

Bio 4000 and Lab 5 credits
Lab for Bio 4000 0 credits

be seen as a duplication and cause confusion/delay in verifying?

I have the same question, plus another one. My transcript lists the following:

Biology (BI-1000) 4 Credits, Grade: A
Biology (BI-1000L) 0 Credits, Grade: S

Here are my questions:

1. I know I need to enter these separately as they are listed separately on my transcript. Do I check "lecture and lab" and add "with Lab" to the 4 credit entry as this includes the lab credit, or do I enter "lecture only" since it doesn't include the lab grade?

2. I think the "S" grade refers to "satisfactory" and I think the only other option for a grade in the lab was "unsatisfactory" - should I check the box that designates the class as pass/fail?

EDIT: I called AMCAS and was able to get an answer to my questions. She said to check "lecture only" for the lecture section since the lab is listed separately (even though the lab credit is included in the lecture credit) and to check "Pass/Fail" for the lab. I'm going to leave this post here in case anyone else has the same question.

Last edited:
If I haven't taken Physics Lab II yet, and plan to take it some time before matriculation in 2013, should I list it as a planned course even though I'm not exactly sure when and where I'll take it

If I haven't taken Physics Lab II yet, and plan to take it some time before matriculation in 2013, should I list it as a planned course even though I'm not exactly sure when and where I'll take it

Yes, to show that you intend to take it before you graduate.

I don't think it's of importance if you don't take it during the semester/period that you said you were going to.

They'll see the spring grades after they've accepted you and ask for your updated transcript.

If the grades are great, I'd probably wait until they were official and then send the transcript. A week isn't going to affect your application.

Today I met with my school adviser and explained to her the situation. She said I should have waited until spring semester grades are out and then send the transcript. She also said that school will ask for update letter after secondary application if spring grades are missing. Is that always true? I thought update letter are usually after acceptance...I am senior now, so that transcript I sent out has 7 semesters of grades.

Today I met with my school adviser and explained to her the situation. She said I should have waited until spring semester grades are out and then send the transcript. She also said that school will ask for update letter after secondary application if spring grades are missing. Is that always true? I thought update letter are usually after acceptance...I am senior now, so that transcript I sent out has 7 semesters of grades.

I don't see it going down as your advisor describes. Maybe at a med school that doesn't take OOS applicants and can focus on every one of its IS applicants but my school will toss aside with regret about 80% of the applications we receive because we can't interview everyone. We really don't care about that missing 12.5% of your grades.

We interview a small proportion and admit and even smaller proportion. Unless you get an offer of admission, we don't really care about your spring quarter grades from senior year. Think about it... we admit people without any grades from senior year (when offers go out in Oct & Nov to college seniors) so why would they care so deeply about your 2nd semester senior grades.

Hi

Quick question. Would the science professor that I am TA'ing for count as a science letter? Or does it have to be from a professor I took?

Update letters are generally sent before acceptance when you're trying to convince them to interview you or accept you or whatever. A few schools will request grade updates but most leave it up to you to "sell" yourself.

You can still send in your transcript once spring grades are posted and wait to submit once they have your most recent transcript. It is not entirely necessary to send spring grades when you're already a senior and have plenty of credits IMO

I went to undergrad and did post bacc undergrad at the same school. An official transcript will list all the courses I took at that school in one document. Do I still need to send in 2 transcripts because I have to list them each separately in AMCAS?

Update letters are generally sent before acceptance when you're trying to convince them to interview you or accept you or whatever. A few schools will request grade updates but most leave it up to you to "sell" yourself.

You can still send in your transcript once spring grades are posted and wait to submit once they have your most recent transcript. It is not entirely necessary to send spring grades when you're already a senior and have plenty of credits IMO

Hey, thanks for the info. So its entirely up to me to provide a update letter to medical school? and update letter does not have to be an extra semester of grades right? it could just be a letter that shows my interest and desire to attend?

Hi, I just had a quick question about double majors. I have a B.A. major and a B.S. second major both from the same undergraduate institution (a double major). Do I list two degrees on my AMCAS under degrees earned? Or is there another way I should designate the two degrees? Thank you! (Sorry if this has already been covered--I tried searching).

I went to undergrad and did post bacc undergrad at the same school. An official transcript will list all the courses I took at that school in one document. Do I still need to send in 2 transcripts because I have to list them each separately in AMCAS?
One transcript should cover everything if it lists all of your coursework

Hey, thanks for the info. So its entirely up to me to provide a update letter to medical school? and update letter does not have to be an extra semester of grades right? it could just be a letter that shows my interest and desire to attend?
Yes, it's up to you. The update letter can be about anything worthy of an update, not just grades. The good part about an update letter is that you don't have to tell them about all of your grades, just the ones you are proud of. A letter of interest (LOI) is a little different and it is usually sent after an interview

The downside of update letters is that not every school accepts them. I would say less than half of the schools I applied to accepted them. YMMV

Hi, I just had a quick question about double majors. I have a B.A. major and a B.S. second major both from the same undergraduate institution (a double major). Do I list two degrees on my AMCAS under degrees earned? Or is there another way I should designate the two degrees? Thank you! (Sorry if this has already been covered--I tried searching).
Yeah I believe you would just list both degrees on AMCAS under degrees earned

How should I classify graded research credits? It is independent study, so it doesn't classify as "lecture only," "lab only," or "combined lecture and lab"

Also, not sure what to classify a natural medicines class as. Would it be ""Natural and Physical Sciences"?

I took the GRE in 2008. Do I have to include my GRE score? It was above average but not to the degree that would help my application, as I'm already a long shot applicant. I would never exclude a transcript, would this be an equivalent action?

1. How should I classify graded research credits? It is independent study, so it doesn't classify as "lecture only," "lab only," or "combined lecture and lab"

2. Also, not sure what to classify a natural medicines class as. Would it be ""Natural and Physical Sciences"?
1. Research credits are probably "lab only."

2. I would think "Health Sciences" would fit best

So I have been working in a research lab for a while and during the summer/winter breaks, the PI usually gets a grant to pay students an hourly wage for the time period. My question is: should this go down on the work activities or should I just note it on the description for my research lab?

So I have been working in a research lab for a while and during the summer/winter breaks, the PI usually gets a grant to pay students an hourly wage for the time period. My question is: should this go down on the work activities or should I just note it on the description for my research lab?

I would classify it under research and note it in the description that it was paid. Unless you have a ton of research activities and no employment and want something in that category as well.

Hey guys, I took a piano class at a local jun college in my freshman year of uni. I have to submit the xcript, since I also took a class at that college in high school, and it appears on my uni xcript.

Problem is, the piano class was way below my skill level, so I just stopped going. Admittedly, I was too lazy to go in to registration to drop it since the refund date had passed (was young, never thought I'd have to deal with it, I didn't even know I wanted to be a doctor at that point). Luckily, it was a pass/no pass, and it just appears as a no pass on the xcript.

Would you take the time to explain this anywhere in primaries or secondaries?

Hey guys, I took a piano class at a local jun college in my freshman year of uni. I have to submit the xcript, since I also took a class at that college in high school, and it appears on my uni xcript.

Problem is, the piano class was way below my skill level, so I just stopped going. Admittedly, I was too lazy to go in to registration to drop it since the refund date had passed (was young, never thought I'd have to deal with it, I didn't even know I wanted to be a doctor at that point). Luckily, it was a pass/no pass, and it just appears as a no pass on the xcript.

Would you take the time to explain this anywhere in primaries or secondaries?

I wouldn't bother. You might be asked in an interview but I don't think it is important to bring it up unless asked

Just realized a mistake I made: I sent in my transcripts to AMCAS last week, but my Fall 2012 courses include 18 credits (6 classes) on the transcript. I do this every year in order to reserve the classes I will be for sure taking, and then usually drop a couple that I decide against later on. For the upcoming fall semester, I forgot to drop the ones I decided not to take before having my transcripts printed.

The problem is that my real schedule is going to be 16 credits: 12 of classes that are on the official transcript already (4 classes) + 4 credits of teaching (two TA positions not on my official transcript).

Is this a problem, or no since it is future course work? Should I just fill out my future work exactly like my transcript even though it isn't what I'm taking?

Just realized a mistake I made: I sent in my transcripts to AMCAS last week, but my Fall 2012 courses include 18 credits (6 classes) on the transcript. I do this every year in order to reserve the classes I will be for sure taking, and then usually drop a couple that I decide against later on. For the upcoming fall semester, I forgot to drop the ones I decided not to take before having my transcripts printed.

The problem is that my real schedule is going to be 16 credits: 12 of classes that are on the official transcript already (4 classes) + 4 credits of teaching (two TA positions not on my official transcript).

Is this a problem, or no since it is future course work? Should I just fill out my future work exactly like my transcript even though it isn't what I'm taking?

While its probable that it shows up in a degree audit or online transcript, I doubt that an official transcript would have future courses listed. Just fill in the courses you are actually going to end up taking, so that when a school that accepts you receives the final transcript after graduation, it matches with what they were expecting from your primary app.

Thanks. I have an official copy that' does have my registered course list for next fall. Hoping this won't be a problem not matching the courses I put on primary!

Thanks. I have an official copy that' does have my registered course list for next fall. Hoping this won't be a problem not matching the courses I put on primary!

The official transcript that your school sends will not have the courses, so you will not have any problem putting future courses on your AMCAS.

How do we know once AMCAS has received our transcripts? I had to order it online and I gave the registrar a copy of the transcript request form from AMCAS that I signed but I'm not sure if they sent it together..

How do we know once AMCAS has received our transcripts? I had to order it online and I gave the registrar a copy of the transcript request form from AMCAS that I signed but I'm not sure if they sent it together..

AMCAS will send you an email, and it will show marked as received on your actual AMCAS