*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, for those of you who have taken Nutrition, what did you classify it as?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So ... I'm planning on applying this cycle ... however I think I'm in a predicament ...

My current status is an international student. However, my family is in the process of obtaining a green card and have been accepted for an interview. This will probably occur around mid to late June. Once I come back to the United States, I will then "officially" have my green card.

Unfortunately, it seem as if that according to AMCAS, if I want to submit my application early, I would have to submit it as an international student, since I don't officially have my green card. Honestly, I don't know when I will come back to the US. I'm hoping to by late June/early July, but there's a possibility I won't be able to until mid August. This means I can't apply as a permanent resident until that time.

I really want to apply as soon as possible ... however, it seems as if I can only apply once applications open as an international student and only as a permanent resident until mid July/mid August. Of course I know this will effect my verification times as well as possibly affect my application...

So .... is it worth risking and applying as an international student in June and just sending an update letter in August? Or submitting in August as a permanent resident? Or waiting a whole year and applying next year's cycle?

Yes ... quite a predicament, huh?

Hello all,

My Google/SDN Search-fu has failed me this time, so I'm going to pose my question here to see if anyone knows before giving AMCAS a call. I did check the AMCAS Resource page and manual regarding majors, but they don't seem to address it anywhere.

I was initially declared as a Biology major and then switched into Cell Bio in sophomore year. This change is reflected on my transcript. My question is: should I also report this in my AMCAS?

Thanks!

Last edited:
is it too early to have transcripts sent out to amcas, aacomas and tmdsas?

Nope, people have sent it as early as the start of May.

You should send transcripts in as early as possible so you get that out of the way. AMCAS sends a confirmation email once they receive your transcript.

Is it alright to send transcripts before you send your primary? AMCAS won't get confused getting transcripts w/o having an app in?

Is it alright to send transcripts before you send your primary? AMCAS won't get confused getting transcripts w/o having an app in?

You might have a small confusion about how AMCAS works. The application will need everything except your LORs to be in to be submitted. AMCAS will hold on to whatever transcripts you send them and keep it associated to you electronically. Once you SUBMIT your AMCAS whenever it is complete, a real person will then access your transcripts that were received and compare them to the classes you listed manually. Send your transcripts in asap to avoid delay.

Will any formatting errors be visible when I copy and paste my personal statement from microsoft word? The instructions say:

"Applicants who plan to cut & paste their essays into the application should draft their essays in a text-only format, preferably in text-only word processing software, such as Microsoft Notepad. Copying formatted text into the application may result in formatting issues that cannot be edited once your application is submitted"

Would any formatting errors only show up after submitting, or would I be able to see any errors while proof-reading?

Don't send your transcripts now. Hee hee hee. Mwahahahahahahaha!

No, please do send them.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it too early to have transcripts sent out to amcas, aacomas and tmdsas?

Nope, people have sent it as early as the start of May.

You should send transcripts in as early as possible so you get that out of the way. AMCAS sends a confirmation email once they receive your transcript.

You might have a small confusion about how AMCAS works. The application will need everything except your LORs to be in to be submitted. AMCAS will hold on to whatever transcripts you send them and keep it associated to you electronically. Once you SUBMIT your AMCAS whenever it is complete, a real person will then access your transcripts that were received and compare them to the classes you listed manually. Send your transcripts in asap to avoid delay.

Start sending transcripts now! Don't wait!

Don't send your transcripts now. Hee hee hee. Mwahahahahahahaha!

No, please do send them.

gunnerz gonna gun ;),

Haha! Got to try! lol :)
Merging

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about entering coursework.

1. I took a couple of physical education classes during college, but my transcript names them all the same as "PE 1." When entering this coursework on AMCAS, should I specify what PE activity it was, such as PE1: Tennis, PE1: Basketball, PE1: Weight Training, etc.?

2. Do physical education, chorus, and field study courses fall under the "Lab Only" option, since they were more activity-based, or should I keep them under "Lecture Only."

3. I have several field study, directed group study, seminar courses that are named exactly the same on my transcript. They are not repeated coursework but a generic name my school uses to categorize a type of credit-given activity. Will this cause confusion during the verification process, and if so, how should I distinguish these classes from each other?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about entering coursework.

1. I took a couple of physical education classes during college, but my transcript names them all the same as "PE 1." When entering this coursework on AMCAS, should I specify what PE activity it was, such as PE1: Tennis, PE1: Basketball, PE1: Weight Training, etc.?

2. Do physical education, chorus, and field study courses fall under the "Lab Only" option, since they were more activity-based, or should I keep them under "Lecture Only."

3. I have several field study, directed group study, seminar courses that are named exactly the same on my transcript. They are not repeated coursework but a generic name my school uses to categorize a type of credit-given activity. Will this cause confusion during the verification process, and if so, how should I distinguish these classes from each other?

Thanks in advance!
1. Type it exactly as it appears or they may change it. Since its probably p/f I doubt its a big deal.

2. lecture only.

3. Nope, I had a course like that for research. Not a problem. It appeared 4 times and sucked up 12 credit hours :laugh: or auto-"A"

Quick question regarding formatting and submission:

I have placed spaces between paragraphs in my activity descriptions. When I go to print my application, the PDF version shows the spacing and formatting exactly as I have entered it, but the HTML version eliminates all the spaces (making everything all jumbled together).

I just want to be sure....when you submit your application, it will appear as whatever you view in the PDF "print application" feature, correct?

Yes

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding transcripts. My undergraduate school transcript should be all set with my spring grades when they send in my transcript, but I'm currently taking a summer class at a state school near home that I haven't attended in the past. If I want the grade from this course to factor into my AMCAS gpa do I have to wait to receive a grade before I can submit my AMCAS? Also, will my application not be verified until they receive the transcript from my summer school class?

I would really love to submit as early as possible, I guess my biggest question is whether or not my application can be verified based on my undergrad transcript and my summer class listed as "in progress," and whether or not my application can be verified before they receive my summer school transcript, which should be available around June 20.

My MCAT is fine, 33Q, and an easy A from my summer science class would push my cgpa over the 3.4 margin, which would be nice, so I really want the grade but don't want to forfeit the much needed advantage of submitting early! (if I even can given the summer transcript dilemma)

What do you guys think I should do??
Thanks in advance!! :D

Anyone know about this?

Will any formatting errors be visible when I copy and paste my personal statement from microsoft word? The instructions say:

"Applicants who plan to cut & paste their essays into the application should draft their essays in a text-only format, preferably in text-only word processing software, such as Microsoft Notepad. Copying formatted text into the application may result in formatting issues that cannot be edited once your application is submitted"

Would any formatting errors only show up after submitting, or would I be able to see any errors while proof-reading?

I'm confused about entering lab courses. If you took a lab course that had a weekly 4-hour lab along with a 1-hour lecture on lab theory, is this considered a "lab only" course or a "combined lec and lab" course?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding transcripts. My undergraduate school transcript should be all set with my spring grades when they send in my transcript, but I'm currently taking a summer class at a state school near home that I haven't attended in the past. If I want the grade from this course to factor into my AMCAS gpa do I have to wait to receive a grade before I can submit my AMCAS? Also, will my application not be verified until they receive the transcript from my summer school class?

I would really love to submit as early as possible, I guess my biggest question is whether or not my application can be verified based on my undergrad transcript and my summer class listed as "in progress," and whether or not my application can be verified before they receive my summer school transcript, which should be available around June 20.

My MCAT is fine, 33Q, and an easy A from my summer science class would push my cgpa over the 3.4 margin, which would be nice, so I really want the grade but don't want to forfeit the much needed advantage of submitting early! (if I even can given the summer transcript dilemma)

What do you guys think I should do??
Thanks in advance!! :D
If the transcript you sent to AMCAS lists a course as "in progress" then AMCAS will ignore it. They don't verify in progress or planned coursework.

If you want the grade to show up on AMCAS in your GPA, then you have to wait to send in your transcript until it shows up.

I'm confused about entering lab courses. If you took a lab course that had a weekly 4-hour lab along with a 1-hour lecture on lab theory, is this considered a "lab only" course or a "combined lec and lab" course?

Thanks in advance.
I think that's up to you. I had a lab class that was worth 2 credits. We had 6 hours of lab time per week and 1 hour of lecture time. I just listed it as a lab

Someone else might have a better answer though

How do most others go about this? Copy and paste into Notepad first, and then copy and paste into the app?

If you decide to copy and paste directly from Word, go through your application on the Print>PDF option with a fine-tooth comb to be sure all of the formatting is correct

I have a question about putting down planned courses.

I am planning to apply to some schools which require biochem. However, I haven't taken biochem yet and plan to do so the spring before I matriculate if I get into one of the schools that require biochem. My question is, if I put down biochem as a planned course but end up getting into and matriculating at a school that doesn't require biochem and I end up not taking it, would it be held against me? If I say that I'm planning to take a course, does it mean that I HAVE to?

I have a quest about LORs. My school uses a committee letter. When I went to fill out the LOR section on my AAMCAS and I selected committee letter, it takes me to a screen to input info like name, address, etc. I am confused about whether that should be the info of my pre-med adviser at my college or the LORs that my pre-med adviser chooses to send with my committee letter.

I have a question about putting down planned courses.

I am planning to apply to some schools which require biochem. However, I haven't taken biochem yet and plan to do so the spring before I matriculate if I get into one of the schools that require biochem. My question is, if I put down biochem as a planned course but end up getting into and matriculating at a school that doesn't require biochem and I end up not taking it, would it be held against me? If I say that I'm planning to take a course, does it mean that I HAVE to?

If you get accepted to the school, even one that doesn't require biochem, I'm sure they'll give you flexibility. You're already in, so the medical school has made an investment that's not worth overthrowing for such a minor change.

On my official transcript I have some classes that have been abbreviated: e.g. on my transcript it says "Bioengr Cons Principles," when the class is really called "Bioengineering Conservation Principles." Some of the abbreviations are pretty aggressive, another one is "Bioengr Trans Phen" when it's really called "Bioengineering Transport Phenomena."

I'm afraid that the med schools will look at that and be like "what is a Trans Phen?" So should I spell out the full name? Or leave it exactly as it appears on the transcript?

On my official transcript I have some classes that have been abbreviated: e.g. on my transcript it says "Bioengr Cons Principles," when the class is really called "Bioengineering Conservation Principles." Some of the abbreviations are pretty aggressive, another one is "Bioengr Trans Phen" when it's really called "Bioengineering Transport Phenomena."

I'm afraid that the med schools will look at that and be like "what is a Trans Phen?" So should I spell out the full name? Or leave it exactly as it appears on the transcript?

Exactly as it appears.

If the transcript you sent to AMCAS lists a course as "in progress" then AMCAS will ignore it. They don't verify in progress or planned coursework.

If you want the grade to show up on AMCAS in your GPA, then you have to wait to send in your transcript until it shows up.

Ok great thanks! It didn't occur to me that I could get a state school transcript without having finished the class. I appreciate it! :)

If you get accepted to the school, even one that doesn't require biochem, I'm sure they'll give you flexibility. You're already in, so the medical school has made an investment that's not worth overthrowing for such a minor change.

That sounds right. I watched the tutorial on entering planned coursework and they said it was nonbinding.

I had a written noise violation in my dorm freshman year. I believe it is on my housing judicial record but not official. Should I include this as an institutional action? It was by my RA and don't believe it would count as action from the school but I don't want it to show up and ask questions.

So I'm pretty confused about how to designate my study abroad experience. I studied abroad directly through my school, so the classes I took there are listed on my regular transcript. There is no separate transcript for my study abroad experience and there was no "transfer of credits," because the courses were run by my university and are even listed in the course selection book.

How do I list this in AMCAS? Do I need to create a separate school for the satellite campus or do I simply list the courses under my university? Do I need to check the "study abroad" box under my school in that case?

I was entering my course work into the AMCAS and got stuck on on practicality. At my university some classes have labs associated with them while other classes have discussions. If it was a "hard" science class it was almost always called a lab, if it was a "soft"science class it was almost always called a discussion. Should I enter those discussions as labs and in the course name box write the course followed by "and discussion or and lab"? Also, for those classes that had a discussion session associated with them should I classify them as Lecture and Lab or just as Lecture?

To give an example, I am thinking of a Microeconomics, Psychology, and Calculus I, these classes had discussions, which had separate assignments, quizzes, and maybe even exams, which contributed to the overall grade.

The title is pretty self explanatory. I went to the school's registrar and they said they only send the transcript and do not send anything else (i.e. the transcript request form in this case).

Since my school isn't sending it, can I send it myself separately? Or can I get away with not sending one in the first place?

My school wouldn't either and it got there just fine.

So if some of my course names are misspelled on my transcript (not abbreviated) should I enter them exactly as they appear? For example Gen bio 1 is:

General Biology I

Gen bio 2 id:

GEneral biology II

Don't want Adcoms to think I carelessly entered course names, but also don't want to hold up my verification... opinions?

Just make sure to put your SSN and AMCAD ID somewhere and you'll be fine. I didn't send the form and mine got there in about a week.

Spell it out

The title is pretty self explanatory. I went to the school's registrar and they said they only send the transcript and do not send anything else (i.e. the transcript request form in this case).

Since my school isn't sending it, can I send it myself separately? Or can I get away with not sending one in the first place?

My school wouldn't either and it got there just fine.

Just make sure to put your SSN and AMCAD ID somewhere and you'll be fine. I didn't send the form and mine got there in about a week.

Not a deal breaker.
Merging

I have a quest about LORs. My school uses a committee letter. When I went to fill out the LOR section on my AAMCAS and I selected committee letter, it takes me to a screen to input info like name, address, etc. I am confused about whether that should be the info of my pre-med adviser at my college or the LORs that my pre-med adviser chooses to send with my committee letter.
I think that you use the name of your premed advisor.

So if some of my course names are misspelled on my transcript (not abbreviated) should I enter them exactly as they appear? For example Gen bio 1 is:

General Biology I

Gen bio 2 id:

GEneral biology II

Don't want Adcoms to think I carelessly entered course names, but also don't want to hold up my verification... opinions?
I would fix the obvious spelling mistakes, especially if they're just capitalization errors. I'm not sure what the problem is with the first one

I had a written noise violation in my dorm freshman year. I believe it is on my housing judicial record but not official. Should I include this as an institutional action? It was by my RA and don't believe it would count as action from the school but I don't want it to show up and ask questions.

Include it. I had something similar and just explained it. If it was nothing, it's still better that you came clean on it. If they care and you didn't mention it....

Anyone know about this?

Just take the extra small amount of time and re-type. It worth not risking strange formatting issues.

So I'm pretty confused about how to designate my study abroad experience. I studied abroad directly through my school, so the classes I took there are listed on my regular transcript. There is no separate transcript for my study abroad experience and there was no "transfer of credits," because the courses were run by my university and are even listed in the course selection book.

How do I list this in AMCAS? Do I need to create a separate school for the satellite campus or do I simply list the courses under my university? Do I need to check the "study abroad" box under my school in that case?

AMCAS told me to call the SA university to see if they have a record/transcript for me. If so, I was to list that school separately and get a transcript from them (despite the fact that's it's all on my home institution's transcript.) If they didn't have record of me, I was told to still mark as SA but to click "no transcript necessary" and check "consortium/cross-registration" as the reason.

General Biology I

Gen bio 2 id:

GEneral biology II

I did exactly as on the transcript as that's what the directions say. I did add a [sic] when spelling "moleculuar," but I didn't explain away abbreviations.