*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2025-2026 *~*~*~*~*

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I submit a LOI after submitted an update letter? I want to avoid redundancy... I feel that my application/interview already articulated why I want to attend the school. I also provided recent updates through an update letter. So, I'm just wondering if a LOI would be worth writing and if so, should I just reiterate my favorite components of the school?
 
Should I submit a LOI after submitted an update letter? I want to avoid redundancy... I feel that my application/interview already articulated why I want to attend the school. I also provided recent updates through an update letter. So, I'm just wondering if a LOI would be worth writing and if so, should I just reiterate my favorite components of the school?
not needed at this point, you already have one prematch too, right?
If the school you want to write the LOI to is not your pre-match school, just rank it as #1 Match and see how it turns out for you.
 
Should I submit a LOI after submitted an update letter? I want to avoid redundancy... I feel that my application/interview already articulated why I want to attend the school. I also provided recent updates through an update letter. So, I'm just wondering if a LOI would be worth writing and if so, should I just reiterate my favorite components of the school?
I like the pfp.

No need, you said what you needed to say. Just rank it #1, as wysdoc pointed out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I please need some guidance. I was informed by my health advisor that medical schools can see if an applicant withdrew from an interview and it can look bad on the applicant when the medical schools do their rankings and matching. Is this true?

I unfortunately had to deny an in person interview due to financial and travel implications. But was able to interview at other schools and sent a letter of intent to one.

Thank you
 
Hello! I please need some guidance. I was informed by my health advisor that medical schools can see if an applicant withdrew from an interview and it can look bad on the applicant when the medical schools do their rankings and matching. Is this true?

I unfortunately had to deny an in person interview due to financial and travel implications. But was able to interview at other schools and sent a letter of intent to one.

Thank you
It is not always possible to make it to an interview. Consider yourself fortunate that most interviews are online. This will not affect you with other schools. It could only possibly affect you with the school you turned down, if you had to reapply next year.
 
Last edited:
It is not always possible to make it to an interview. Consider yourself fortunate that most interviews are online. This will not affect you with other schools. It could only possibly affect you with the school you turned down, if you had to reapply next year.
Thank you!
 
Hello! I please need some guidance. I was informed by my health advisor that medical schools can see if an applicant withdrew from an interview and it can look bad on the applicant when the medical schools do their rankings and matching. Is this true?

I unfortunately had to deny an in person interview due to financial and travel implications. But was able to interview at other schools and sent a letter of intent to one.

Thank you
We actually can't see exactly at what stage you withdrew before an actual interview, but, regardless, we could care less when you withdrew or why you withdrew from other schools. With 6000 or more applicants we are not interested in things like that and it has no impact on ranking. I'm baffled why health advisors think we have time to look up stuff like that on hundreds or even thousands of applicants for no good reason.
 
Hello! I please need some guidance. I was informed by my health advisor that medical schools can see if an applicant withdrew from an interview and it can look bad on the applicant when the medical schools do their rankings and matching. Is this true?

I unfortunately had to deny an in person interview due to financial and travel implications. But was able to interview at other schools and sent a letter of intent to one.

Thank you
That would be information that would infer collusion, which is not allowed in admissions processes. I've never seen that information during a cycle in any application management system I have worked with, and I wouldn't know how or why TMDSAS schools would know this information when ranking applicants.
 
TMDSAS Match System:
How to rank schools where you have interviewed, and how Match works on Feb 13
, 2026.

TMDSAS Match is only for Texas residents applying to TMDSAS schools.
OOS applicants who have interviewed could receive an offer of admission any time after October 15th.
ALL interviews for TMDSAS schools will be over before Jan 31, 2026.


Please take the time to read the information from the TMDSAS guide in detail.
To enter your match preferences, you must log in to the application. Once you are logged in, click on the [School Rank Preference] link under [Pending Actions] on the right-hand side of the page. You will only see this link once a school has updated your status to "Interviewed". If you do not see the link, your status has not yet been updated by the medical school.

  • Applicants must rank all schools where they interviewed, regardless of whether or not they are holding a pre-match offer.
    • Applicants holding a pre-match offer who have interviewed at school(s) that did not extend an offer can rank one or more of those schools higher than the pre-match offer school without risk of losing the pre-match offer (as long as you do not match to a higher ranked school).
    • An applicant holding a pre-match offer who matches to a higher ranked school will automatically be withdrawn from that pre-match offer school.  They will be withdrawn from all other lower ranked schools. The applicant will remain open to be selected by schools ranked higher than the school matched to.
  • Applicants who do not enter their match preference rank by the deadline will automatically be withdrawn from all medical schools regardless of whether or not a pre-match offer has been made. (You will be notified via internal message prior to being withdrawn.)
    • Applicants who have interviewed at only one school must still rank that one school before the deadline.
  • Following the match, the standard rolling admissions process will continue through the beginning of orientation at each medical school.
  • If you are holding multiple pre-match offers, you will come out of the match holding only one offer.
  • After the rank preference date, applicants are no longer able to view your preferences in the application portal. You will want to keep a screen-shot of your preferences for your records.
Archived TMDSAS Video How the TMDSAS Match Works

Another good TMDSAS video (from 2022, but the discussion is
helpful) What happens after I get a medical school acceptance?
 
Is there an email where I can reach the TMDSAS office/ask questions about transcript orders? I ordered my transcript from my undergrad two weeks ago and I received a message stating they still haven't received it.
 
Is there an email where I can reach the TMDSAS office/ask questions about transcript orders? I ordered my transcript from my undergrad two weeks ago and I received a message stating they still haven't received it.
They like all their official questions to go through the portal as a message.
Be specific with your question, such as: "This is the email I asked my college to send a transcript to, was that correct?"
Undergrad colleges and TMDSAS have had a lot of days closed due to the holidays which could add to the delay
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I moved and updated my address on TMDSAS. Do I still need to reach out to schools for it to be changed on their end?
 
We actually can't see exactly at what stage you withdrew before an actual interview, but, regardless, we could care less when you withdrew or why you withdrew from other schools. With 6000 or more applicants we are not interested in things like that and it has no impact on ranking. I'm baffled why health advisors think we have time to look up stuff like that on hundreds or even thousands of applicants for no good reason.
Thank you! This alleviated my worries. Yes, I was surprised when my advisor told me this.so just wanted to confirm
 
That would be information that would infer collusion, which is not allowed in admissions processes. I've never seen that information during a cycle in any application management system I have worked with, and I wouldn't know how or why TMDSAS schools would know this information when ranking applicants.
Thank you so much!
 
Hello! I have some questions about letters of intent for TMDSAS. So I am considering sending a school a LOI, but I was told it could be really bad if I get an interview from another school I would prefer and rank that higher. I definitely dont want do anything unethical, but I was wondering what would happen in that case? Also, does waiting until around end of January to send a LOI make it less effective? Or is it the same as long as it's before the match?
 
Hello! I have some questions about letters of intent for TMDSAS. So I am considering sending a school a LOI, but I was told it could be really bad if I get an interview from another school I would prefer and rank that higher. I definitely dont want do anything unethical, but I was wondering what would happen in that case? Also, does waiting until around end of January to send a LOI make it less effective? Or is it the same as long as it's before the match?
Write what you want, so the school has time to maybe see it before they make their lists. Your ranking of schools is more important.
 
I am currently writing a LOI for BCM and just wanted to confirm if it's fine to leave out any updates in my application since their website states that they do not accept updates from applicants who have already interviewed? So my LOI only includes why I want to attend BCM. Just making sure since most posts online say you should include brief updates in your letter of intent.
 
I am currently writing a LOI for BCM and just wanted to confirm if it's fine to leave out any updates in my application since their website states that they do not accept updates from applicants who have already interviewed? So my LOI only includes why I want to attend BCM. Just making sure since most posts online say you should include brief updates in your letter of intent.
sounds like you have read the preferences for BCM and are following them
 
hi all, sadly no interviews this cycle. still haven't heard back from McGovern, TAMU, TTEP, and TCOM. any hope for a possible late interview from them? i applied heavily to DO schools as well but obviously would've loved to stay in state 🙁 ty in advance
 
hi all, sadly no interviews this cycle. still haven't heard back from McGovern, TAMU, TTEP, and TCOM. any hope for a possible late interview from them? i applied heavily to DO schools as well but obviously would've loved to stay in state 🙁 ty in advance
I have not heard from the same 4 schools, and considering the last interviews are around the 28th for McGovern (and probably the rest of the schools) I would not bet on hearing anything...Odds aren't 0, just small. I hope you get some love from the OOS state schools!
 
hi all, sadly no interviews this cycle. still haven't heard back from McGovern, TAMU, TTEP, and TCOM. any hope for a possible late interview from them? i applied heavily to DO schools as well but obviously would've loved to stay in state 🙁 ty in advance
@mangoognam TMDSAS system is the one that wraps things up the earliest, so yes there are only 14 more days from today for any interviews to be completed. Texas does have a big number of medical schools but it is also one of the most populous states, so there are plenty of applicants too and the acceptance rate in Texas is similar to the AMCAS rate, with only between 35-40% of applicants getting accepted.

If you end up with no Texas interviews this time, watch your emails for information about re-applicant workshops that usually take place between February and April. Several of the Texas schools host one. Look especially for a school that says it will give you individual feedback on what you can improve on or fill in, for next time.
If you also applied to AACOMAS schools, their cycle continues on for a few more months.
 
If you get waitlisted from your top choice and match into your second choice school, but then get off the waitlist for your first school, will you end up going to your first choice school or can you still choose to go to your second choice school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you get waitlisted from your top choice and match into your second choice school, but then get off the waitlist for your first school, will you end up going to your first choice school or can you still choose to go to your second choice school?
A good question & a little complicated.
If you match to your #2 choice, you can wait on the WL for your #1 until May 15th.
If you later get an offer, from your waitlist at #1, you may take the offer or decide to stick with your Match school after all. It’s your choice.
After May 15 new offers from a WL can only go to people with no other TMDSAS acceptances.
 
Last edited:
Reminder that it's not over until it's over!

Even if you don't have any prematches, you still have a shot at matching. If somehow you don't match, waitlist movement for TX schools is actually pretty good. Things tend to be a little slow March-April, but May is when you really start seeing a huge movement.

So keep up the hope!! I know it can be frustrating to see others prematch and/or prematch at a school you want to go to, but at the end of the day, when school starts up, no one cares who prematched, matched, or got off the waitlist. You'll all be med students.

Also, when making your match rank lists, remember that the system is actually in your favor. Choose the schools you can see yourself at for 4 years, not rank, prestige, etc. (unless those are your most important determining factors).
 
Hi, this might have already been answered but I received a late II from one of the TMDSAS schools and had my interview on 01/15. How long does it usually take for the school to show up on my TMDSAS ranking list?
 
Hi, this might have already been answered but I received a late II from one of the TMDSAS schools and had my interview on 01/15. How long does it usually take for the school to show up on my TMDSAS ranking list?
If you don't see it by 10 days later, email them to ask them to update your portal so you can rank them for match day
 
A paper I am a co-author on was just submitted for publication today. Is it worth sending an update letter with just this info to my top school? The manuscript wasn't listed anywhere on my app. I have already sent a letter of intent over a month ago. I'm sure it won't have any effect for match day since all rankings are probably pretty much finalized, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it in case I get waitlisted?
 
A paper I am a co-author on was just submitted for publication today. Is it worth sending an update letter with just this info to my top school? The manuscript wasn't listed anywhere on my app. I have already sent a letter of intent over a month ago. I'm sure it won't have any effect for match day since all rankings are probably pretty much finalized, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it in case I get waitlisted?
Nah. They interviewed you which means they liked your application w/o it, plus you've already sent the letter of intent expressing your interest.

Also, it was submitted for publication but hasn't been accepted for publication yet. If it gets published later on and you're waitlisted, you could let them know if the school values research.
 
Idk if anyone really knows, but how high would a school like UTSW or Baylor need to rank you to be admitted (including if you got off waitlist).
 
Out of curiosity, do schools know who we matched with already?
Not until match day - the schools might get the match list late on Feb 12 before you applicants see it in your portal at 8 am on the 13th but they don’t know who matched with them yet
 
Last edited:
Surprised, I received an email from a school I didn’t rank high asking me to provide valuable feedback as to why I have chosen not to attend.
 
Surprised, I received an email from a school I didn’t rank high asking me to provide valuable feedback as to why I have chosen not to attend.
Interesting they are asking for feedback before match results.

with or without a prematch?
 
I had received a prematch from them and had accepted it along with the other prematches I received.
I have seen such a note from McGovern in the past after the match process where they said we ranked you high but you choose someone else but without a prematch.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it may be because I ranked another school i prematched with higher than this school. Perhaps TMDSAS notifies the other schools you prematched with in such cases
 
I think it may be because I ranked another school i prematched with higher than this school. Perhaps TMDSAS notifies the other schools you prematched with in such cases
they are probably receiving lists of people they prematched but now know they are no longer going to get them during the match.

It would make sense if the match process allows the schools to bump up people selectively to get a mix of students desired when they lose those they already selected. this allows them to refine their submitted rank list.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.