Goljan - What is best to follow his audio along with??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What is the best source to follow Goljan's audio with? Is the Stars Pathology Review (the orange-reddish colored cover) or the Rapid Review pathology book which is white? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In his audio lectures, he mentions a Biochemistry review book he co-wrote. Does anyone know which book he is refering to?

BlackNDecker said:
In his audio lectures, he mentions a Biochemistry review book he co-wrote. Does anyone know which book he is refering to?

Just listen to him. He tells you this from day one of his lectures as he doesn't follow along in his notes or a book. You will gain the most by just listening in your car or while working out. This is a tried and true method by the regulars here. Multiple times listening to Goljan's lectures seem to be great at reinforcing the concepts, especially if you space them throughout the 2nd year. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually would take my own notes...this always helped me pay more attention while listening and I also referred to them them a lot when studying from other sources.

theDr. said:
Hi,
What is the best source to follow Goljan's audio with? Is the Stars Pathology Review (the orange-reddish colored cover) or the Rapid Review pathology book which is white? Thanks

The white Rapid Review Pathology book would be the best one.

The notes he gives us in class are almost identical to the book.

OSUdoc08 said:

I'm convinced that Dr. Goljan has told all his medical students at OSU to tell everyone this information. Having listened to the audio several times, read the Goljan Rapid Review, read the Goljan notes he passes out at his lectures, and taken a peak at his STARS book...this advice is bull. The notes are not like the book and the book is not correlative with the audio. The notes do correlate with the audio, not in the correct order, but they do correlate. Anyone else agree?

I found that listening throughout the year and annotating into BRS with his audio, then listening one more time without annotating (e.g. in the car, at the gym, etc...), and then going through it once more during board study (listened while looking at my notes in BRS) worked really well for me.

BlackNDecker said:

Hi, I think the book is rapid review biochemistry.

Pox in a box said:
I'm convinced that Dr. Goljan has told all his medical students at OSU to tell everyone this information. Having listened to the audio several times, read the Goljan Rapid Review, read the Goljan notes he passes out at his lectures, and taken a peak at his STARS book...this advice is bull. The notes are not like the book and the book is not correlative with the audio. The notes do correlate with the audio, not in the correct order, but they do correlate. Anyone else agree?

Noone has access to the notes except for my class. How would YOU know?

Krony said:
I usually would take my own notes...this always helped me pay more attention while listening and I also referred to them them a lot when studying from other sources.

I just listen one time through and then take notes the 2nd time. You're right, taking notes as he speaks really does help. I take it we're both strong visual learners. ;)

Pox in a box said:

nope, I disagree. his Rapid Review book is almost identicial to the notes he hands out at OSU-COM, it's in a different order and his lecutre notes have a few more chapters, but they are very similiar.

You guys are lucky to have him as a professor. Does he teach the whole path course or what topics on path does he generally teach if he doesn't do the whole semester?
OSUdoc08 said:
Noone has access to the notes except for my class. How would YOU know?

nabeya said:
You guys are lucky to have him as a professor. Does he teach the whole path course or what topics on path does he generally teach if he doesn't do the whole semester?

He teaches most of the topics, but he provides the notes for the lectures he doesn't cover.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hernandez said:
nope, I disagree. his Rapid Review book is almost identicial to the notes he hands out at OSU-COM, it's in a different order and his lecutre notes have a few more chapters, but they are very similiar.

I'm not questioning the notes from his course at OSU. I'm talking about the book and the lectures for Kaplan. The Rapid Review does not correlate per se with the lectures. You'd find it difficult to read along and listen...they are different (but good information in both).

Pox in a box said:
I'm not questioning the notes from his course at OSU. I'm talking about the book and the lectures for Kaplan. The Rapid Review does not correlate per se with the lectures. You'd find it difficult to read along and listen...they are different (but good information in both).
I am currently following his audio lectures with the rapid review book, and think that it is pretty easy to do. Sure, he does not follow along sequentially, so you just locate in the chapter what he is talking about, and then you're money. The material is almost identical, down to him reiterating exact sentences. I annotate just to clarify things for myself, but it is all there. I also find it helpful to browse webpath as he is talking, which is also easy to do. By learning this way it is far more active, as you can see the pathology, hear an explanation on it, and are making your own notes. All people learn differently, but for me this is optimal.

Pox in a box said:

The content is the same--just not in precise sequence. You can't read along and listen even in class. He speaks in such away that you should just listen. He made it clear in the beginning of class that you shouldn't try to follow along in the notes.

OSUdoc08 said:
The content is the same--just not in precise sequence. You can't read along and listen even in class. He speaks in such away that you should just listen. He made it clear in the beginning of class that you shouldn't try to follow along in the notes.

I agree with this, the thing to do is to just listen to him over and over again, regardless of which book of his you use or notes. I'd recommend reading his stuff first, I read the stars path review, and then listened to his lectures, while driving, working out, I even made people in my car listen to him when I drove to vegas and san fran. Ended up listening to his lectures 5 times by step 1 came around.

Long Dong said:
I agree with this, the thing to do is to just listen to him over and over again, regardless of which book of his you use or notes. I'd recommend reading his stuff first, I read the stars path review, and then listened to his lectures, while driving, working out, I even made people in my car listen to him when I drove to vegas and san fran. Ended up listening to his lectures 5 times by step 1 came around.

I didn't subject people to that kind of humiliation but I got tortured by his stories multiple times as well...I read the 500 or so pages of notes he distributes too and found them to be very helpful.

I was listening to Goljan's GI lecture last week in preparation for my exam. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. His story about passing gass in the lab when the lab tech was standing right behind him and the one about constricting his external anal sphincter when his doc tries to do a prostate exam...hahaha. HILARIOUS! :laugh:

is there anyway we can purchase a paper copy of his notes?

what about the Goljan pathology review -- the gold/organge colored book...

Hmm. I used to own stars, I've eyeballed the rapid review, & I have our class lecture notes. I don't recall any significant difference in content, just in format...and the rapid review is newer so it is updated.

Either way, my recommendation is to look at both books & see which one you like better.

Pox in a box said:

I hate to disagree with you Pox, but I own RR, Stars and have his lecture notes, the content is the same, the Stars is just in paragraph form and RR is in outline form, and as Dr. Mom pointed out, the RR is the format that is a little bit younger so a hair more up to date.

I have no clue about the Kaplan content, I've had no need to purchase it, but having sat through Goljan's lectures and reading his notes and his books, I have found that the best way for me to study was: I would pre-read Stars, only listen in class, and then review with RR/Lecture notes and then go through his questions he handed out and the question bank on the CD that came with RR and that was the end of that. But then again, it's a vast conspiracy of OSU to make you buy a $30 book :laugh:

and quite frankly I'm not sure why you're so adimantly arguing with us, we all seem to agree that no matter what you're listening too, odds are RR is going to be a good LEGAL compliment to any of Goljan's lectures to use to study, and seeing how we've spent the mos time with Dr. G's material I'd think that would count for something. But granted I'm biased and think he should be paid for his work instead of being given phony lip service as to his aptitude while pirating his intellectual material, but that doesn't change my assessment and/or opinion. RR and Stars are good books, and RR in particular is very, very similar to what he uses in his Pathology class at OSU-COM, (IMPLYING THAT THIS IS THE BEST GOLJAN MATERIAL YOU CAN GET SHORT OF ATTENDING OSU-COM)

Hernandez said:
I hate to disagree with you Pox, but I own RR, Stars and have his lecture notes, the content is the same, the Stars is just in paragraph form and RR is in outline form, and as Dr. Mom pointed out, the RR is the format that is a little bit younger so a hair more up to date.

I have no clue about the Kaplan content, I've had no need to purchase it, but having sat through Goljan's lectures and reading his notes and his books, I have found that the best way for me to study was: I would pre-read Stars, only listen in class, and then review with RR/Lecture notes and then go through his questions he handed out and the question bank on the CD that came with RR and that was the end of that. But then again, it's a vast conspiracy of OSU to make you buy a $30 book :laugh:

and quite frankly I'm not sure why you're so adimantly arguing with us, we all seem to agree that no matter what you're listening too, odds are RR is going to be a good LEGAL compliment to any of Goljan's lectures to use to study, and seeing how we've spent the mos time with Dr. G's material I'd think that would count for something. But granted I'm biased and think he should be paid for his work instead of being given phony lip service as to his aptitude while pirating his intellectual material, but that doesn't change my assessment and/or opinion. RR and Stars are good books, and RR in particular is very, very similar to what he uses in his Pathology class at OSU-COM, (IMPLYING THAT THIS IS THE BEST GOLJAN MATERIAL YOU CAN GET SHORT OF ATTENDING OSU-COM)

I'm not referring to the lecture notes from his actual class he teaches at OSU-COM. I'm just stating that it seems people are equating the notes that Goljan has made for his Kaplan lecture series with his Rapid Review book. They are clearly not the same. That's all I'm saying. They are different. Any of Goljan's sources are good. I'm not getting into the ethics of legal vs. not. :love:

Hernandez said:

All you OSU-COM students are always going on about how much Goljan deserves to be compensated for his work...before you get combative let me say I agree totally. My point is that there is obviously a market for his audio lectures and people are going to get them by any means necessary. SO WHY DOESN'T GOLJAN MARKET HIS OWN LECTURES.

Has anyone at OSU ever asked him if he is aware of how much his audio is in demand?

BlackNDecker said:
All you OSU-COM students are always going on about how much Goljan deserves to be compensated for his work...before you get combative let me say I agree totally. My point is that there is obviously a market for his audio lectures and people are going to get them by any means necessary. SO WHY DOESN'T GOLJAN MARKET HIS OWN LECTURES.

Has anyone at OSU ever asked him if he is aware of how much his audio is in demand?

It's unethical for future physicians to obtain materials against copyright laws. All audio tapes violate such laws.

If you want to hear Goljan, then take his Kaplan course.

He doesn't sell his tapes, because he wants you to take his course.

He teaches them in various locations around the country.

BlackNDecker said:

It has been mentioned, but I've never heard the answer, just speculation on my part but i would think it might have to do with his obligations to Kaplan, hell, I would have bought them had they been available.

Pox in a box said:
I'm not referring to the lecture notes from his actual class he teaches at OSU-COM. I'm just stating that it seems people are equating the notes that Goljan has made for his Kaplan lecture series with his Rapid Review book. They are clearly not the same. That's all I'm saying. They are different. Any of Goljan's sources are good. I'm not getting into the ethics of legal vs. not.

let's review; you retorted this...

Pox in a box said:

in response to this....

OSUdoc08 said:

which was in response to this........

theDr. said:
Hi,

are you seeing my confusion as to the vast conspiracy you were ranting about? No one mentioned the Kaplan notes, only the lecture audio and which of the two books in print would make a good companion to purchase. It’s nice to now be on the same page......

His notes follow rapid review well.
Cough up $40 bucks for the book it is a great investment

Pox in a box said:

DrMom said:
and Goljan once commented to my class that his Kaplan notes were essentially the same as our class notes, although a bit shorter.

Unless you can equate Rapid Review with your class notes (or Kaplan notes for that matter), then the point still stands. They obviously are not or you'd just go buy Rapid Review and Goljan wouldn't provide his own notes. He'd just give you addendums. P.S. I have all of Goljan's sources so don't think I'm anti-Goljan. He's awesome. :thumbup:

Pox in a box said:
Unless you can equate Rapid Review with your class notes (or Kaplan notes for that matter), then the point still stands. They obviously are not or you'd just go buy Rapid Review and Goljan wouldn't provide his own notes. He'd just give you addendums. P.S. I have all of Goljan's sources so don't think I'm anti-Goljan. He's awesome. :thumbup:

The notes he is giving us this year are actually the chapters for his new edition of the review book. He is writing them as we go along during the year.

They are one in the same.

OSUdoc08 said:
The notes he is giving us this year are actually the chapters for his new edition of the review book. He is writing them as we go along during the year.

They are one in the same.

His notes he gives out in Kaplan lectures are not like his Rapid Review notes. That's the only point I'm making. According to you, his Rapid Review notes are like OSU-COM notes. Does he fill in the gaps with more information or does he just cover everything in the book?

Pox in a box said:
His notes he gives out in Kaplan lectures are not like his Rapid Review notes. That's the only point I'm making. According to you, his Rapid Review notes are like OSU-COM notes. Does he fill in the gaps with more information or does he just cover everything in the book?

If you've ever listened to his audio, then you know he fills in the gaps with more information.

I think Goljan should just come out with his own copyrighted, buyable in the bookstore audio lecture series. If he can't do this because of contractual issues with Kaplan then he should suggest a charity where all of the med students who buy his illegal mp3s can make a donation to atone for their sin.

JBlue said:
I think Goljan should just come out with his own copyrighted, buyable in the bookstore audio lecture series. If he can't do this because of contractual issues with Kaplan then he should suggest a charity where all of the med students who buy his illegal mp3s can make a donation to atone for their sin.

Bingo.

so, if you only had to read one, which goljan set would it be, rapid review, or his 500 page kaplan set? what are the positives and negatives to both? is rapid review more organized than kaplan-----kaplan seems a bit all over the place from what ive seen flipping through it. thanks dude.

flga said:
so, if you only had to read one, which goljan set would it be, rapid review, or his 500 page kaplan set? what are the positives and negatives to both? is rapid review more organized than kaplan-----kaplan seems a bit all over the place from what ive seen flipping through it. thanks dude.

I'd read his 500 page set. I'd take every word I hear from an OSU-COM student very lightly. Obviously, they read what Goljan gives them in class and aren't too familiar with other Goljan sources. The Rapid Review is NOT (I repeat NOT) the same as his notes he gives out in his classes or in Kaplan lectures. Rapid Review is a good book but it does not include a ton of the high yield information included in his lecture notes. In my opinion, these students who emphatically protest anyone using sources besides Rapid Review are just trying to keep their own education proprietary (and who can blame them with the cost of tuition in Oklahoma) and don't want you to get as much of an advantage (at a small fraction of what they pay to learn).

Pox in a box said:
I'd read his 500 page set. I'd take every word I hear from an OSU-COM student very lightly. Obviously, they read what Goljan gives them in class and aren't too familiar with other Goljan sources. The Rapid Review is NOT (I repeat NOT) the same as his notes he gives out in his classes or in Kaplan lectures. Rapid Review is a good book but it does not include a ton of the high yield information included in his lecture notes. In my opinion, these students who emphatically protest anyone using sources besides Rapid Review are just trying to keep their own education proprietary (and who can blame them with the cost of tuition in Oklahoma) and don't want you to get as much of an advantage (at a small fraction of what they pay to learn).

DITTO

Pox in a box said:

The notes that he gives us in class are the actual pages of the 2006 edition of Rapid Review Pathology. This will be published this summer or in the late fall.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, since you don't have access to these notes anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:
The notes that he gives us in class are the actual pages of the 2006 edition of Rapid Review Pathology. This will be published this summer or in the late fall.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, since you don't have access to these notes anyway.

Obviously? :laugh: Too bad this "edition" doesn't even exist yet. Good luck to all of Class of 2008 with this summer or late fall edition. Considering the 1st edition was copyright in 2004, you're WAY OFF. Goljan is much more shrewd than that.