MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New, Limited Time, Special Offer!!! Act NOW!!!*

I really don't care where all y'all live for your M1 year, as long as you are happy and within the bounds of the law.

However, I am offering this super duper special deal, which will cost you nothing. If you move into the the Normandy Village Apartments, I will be happy (schedule willing) to help you move in. I will be out of town a lot this summer, but shoot me an email and if I'm around I can help you move stuff out of your truck, trunk, car, wheelbarrow, or Chinook helicopter.

That's just one of the valuable services I provide.

*Service provider is not obligated to follow through on the above statements and may revoke, cancel, or alter offer at any time without notice. Subject to variabilities of (including, but not limited to) schedule, availability, physical ability, sleep/awake status, arterial oxygen content, mood, and offer-recepient's body odor. Good-natured assistance and willingness to help one's neighbor not available in all areas; void where prohibited. Not responsible for damaged or missing items, llama diseases, unintentionally uncovered WMDs, or accidental sex changes. Recepient of offer strongly advised to photograph or tag all items and have extra set of galoshes.

But seriously, I'd be happy to help if/when I can.

For real, I'll seriously help if I can. Just let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you help me move out? I guess I'll have to go buy some galoshes.

I should really remember to log off of SDN when I use a computer in the library. Especially if it's a computer that Marc is going to randomly sit down at.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was good to log back on and stay current with all of the happenings. I cannot believe that things are finally begining to move forward. I am anxiously engaged in the process of selling my home here in Idaho and looking for potential properties in Milwaukee. I have appreciated all of the advice and recommendations that many of you have passed on.

If you see any good deals on a three bedroom apartment pass it my way. Furthermore, if there are any homes for sale that are reasonably priced I am interested.

If any of you are around and up to nothing, my wife and I are coming out June 6th. It she be good times as she hasn't even seen what she is getting into. Hopefully I can sell the town and school to her.

See you all later, good luck with finishing finals. Is this the last week?

Hello from the purgatory between finals and boards. Yuckity yuck.

My complex is super cheap (635 for a 2 br, 715ish for a 3). The bedrooms are alright sized, we have a queen size bed in our room and a full futon in the office, with plenty of space. We don't have underground parking, but they do plow the lot, so no shoveling. I'm at Mayfair Manor, which is on 111th and Meinecke, two feet (seriously, but the noise isn't bad) from 45 and North. It's a very family friendly place, and with tons of medical students, including 8 from my class at last count.

Since you're from Idaho, I'm going to make an assumption that you're LDS. The complex is full of LDS med students and their families. I'm the only non-LDS here in my class, and I don't think there are any from the class behind me. So you'd have lots of friends in your ward (affectionately called BYU-Milwaukee by some)!

Alright, enough babbling, back to rehashing renal phys... it's not any better the second time around, sorry!! :(

Xandie said:
Hello from the purgatory between finals and boards. Yuckity yuck.

My complex is super cheap (635 for a 2 br, 715ish for a 3). The bedrooms are alright sized, we have a queen size bed in our room and a full futon in the office, with plenty of space. We don't have underground parking, but they do plow the lot, so no shoveling. I'm at Mayfair Manor, which is on 111th and Meinecke, two feet (seriously, but the noise isn't bad) from 45 and North. It's a very family friendly place, and with tons of medical students, including 8 from my class at last count.

Since you're from Idaho, I'm going to make an assumption that you're LDS. The complex is full of LDS med students and their families. I'm the only non-LDS here in my class, and I don't think there are any from the class behind me. So you'd have lots of friends in your ward (affectionately called BYU-Milwaukee by some)!

Alright, enough babbling, back to rehashing renal phys... it's not any better the second time around, sorry!! :(

Wow, Xandie, I remember you from the class of 2009 thread. It's been a while since I've seen a post from you.

opmed said:
Wow, Xandie, I remember you from the class of 2009 thread. It's been a while since I've seen a post from you.

That's because she hates me and avoids me. She even wants to start an "Anti-Marc" organization on campus, and it hurts my feelings.

Agent Splat said:
That's because she hates me and avoids me. She even wants to start an "Anti-Marc" organization on campus, and it hurts my feelings.

Well, she joined the MBIG on facebook. Don't worry, I won't change the name because she said we should. =) MBIG sounds better than MBDG anyway.

All of those things are true. :)

My computer hates me, so that's why I didn't post for a while. That computer died, so now I'm free!! Freeeeee....

Xandie,

Your apartment complex sounds great. Do you have any contact information that I could see if they have a vacancy.

scalpel179 said:
Xandie,

Your apartment complex sounds great. Do you have any contact information that I could see if they have a vacancy.

The apartment manager's name is Lisa and she's here from 10-2 on Saturdays, some hours on Sundays, and 2-7 pm Mon-Thu. The number is (414) 771-2057. If you have any questions, post or PM me, and I'll answer them.

I should clearly be studying... gotta love procrastination.

Xandie said:
The apartment manager's name is Lisa and she's here from 10-2 on Saturdays, some hours on Sundays, and 2-7 pm Mon-Thu. The number is (414) 771-2057. If you have any questions, post or PM me, and I'll answer them.

I should clearly be studying... gotta love procrastination.

Xandie, when are you taking Step 1?

I have become the absolute king of procrastination lately. I've gone to new heights that I never would have thought were possible. I really need to blow the phys final out of the water to maintain my grade, but I can't seem to bring myself to get going on it.

Andy15430 said:
Xandie, when are you taking Step 1?

June 8 is the day of reckoning, 20 days from today. And you bet your butt I'm counting. I really need to study...

Oh, the phys final. I was barely passing (or possibly .5 below) going into that final... I ended up 0.19 percent above the pass line (before they moved it down 1.5 percent). I'm the champ of passing classes like that...

Members don't see this ad :)
I went and toured the area for the last few days and after consideration of the housing/areas to live etc there is a good chance i will be purchasing a condo within a mile of school. I am wondering how many people would be interested in renting? The condo is brand new (if you want to see it it is on 74th and Stevenson-just a street back from Bluemound) heated parking garage, each bedroom has bathroom, huge closet space for master suite (i would take a different room) kitchens are awesome with a granite eating island and everything, livingroom with fireplace, dining room, courtyard, a block from a great running path, 8 min from downtown, eating places within walking distances etc-i would walk to school during warmer months-but like i said with guaranteed undergound heated parking-no worries in winter-This place is amazing and I am really excited about it. It will be around the same prices as the 1 bedroom places i was looking at which were 525-650 (but those were total dives). I am willing to spend a little more to get the nicer kitchen, security, parking etc even if that means roommates (cheaper heating!) I am looking for 2-3 (if somone wanted to share HUGE masterbedroom) male of female roomates-(if my profile doesnt say so i am a 24 yr old female from boise idaho-want to know more jsut ask!) I do have a golden retriever who will live in the upper loft (of the 3 bedroom) with me-she is pretty low key and lazy. I have taken her to training school and she is house trained obviously! Depending on the room wanted and how much I end up getting financed for the rooms will be between 450-800 (somewhere in between...smaller room=less money!) If you are seriously interested private message me and let me know. I have layouts I could fax you and will be getting pictures soon... I will start the lease Aug 1st but may be able to move stuff in earlier-not sure yet. Let me know as soon as possible-but like i said it is a great oppotunity and really reasonable fro the ammenities and price. Thanks for the interest!

I have been following all the comments but been too lazy to take the time to write anything... but I am impressed.
I would like some input now. I was planning on coming out there from California in the middle of June, but instead, I was thinking of just trying to find somebody that already has a place and looking for a roomate so I don't have to sacrifice the time and money to go out there. My summer is sooo busy, I am trying to fit so much in before I leave. Do many people tend to get places and then look for roomates?... Do you think this plan will work... I am not very picky about room sizes, pets, or anything like that!!! ***Accepting opinions now!!!*******

I'm also looking for a roommate(s), but the problem is that I have very little time between now and when school starts. We don't graduate until June 11, and then I'm on Army active duty from June 20 to July 22 in WA. If people are looking for roommates, just pm me. Here's my info: Male, like to workout (lift, run, bike, bball, soccer), watch seinfeld & sportscenter, not allergic to pets, and not super dirty, but don't feel the need to be really neat either. I think this is a pretty good summary of the q's on the roommate questionaire.

To any M1s who may be reading i am sure thisahs been asked before but rather than searching through every page-what was the average cost of each semesters books? I am looking to probably buy them off someone and want to know a fair price -more than they would get back-less than I would pay etc

Franimal said:
I have been following all the comments but been too lazy to take the time to write anything... but I am impressed.
I would like some input now. I was planning on coming out there from California in the middle of June, but instead, I was thinking of just trying to find somebody that already has a place and looking for a roomate so I don't have to sacrifice the time and money to go out there. My summer is sooo busy, I am trying to fit so much in before I leave. Do many people tend to get places and then look for roomates?... Do you think this plan will work... I am not very picky about room sizes, pets, or anything like that!!! ***Accepting opinions now!!!*******

I got a place first and am now looking for a roommate simply because I live in the area already, so looking for a place was easy for me. I rather doubt I'm the only one. If you're not picky about room size or closet space, you should do fine.

Don't worry, it will be fine. I know during the second day there is always at least one person who is living in a hotel or something, still not having found a place. And the roommate list has people looking for places and people who already have places.

There are people from the other years on the list too, if you want to have a slightly different experience than living with another first year. There are bonuses and drawbacks to both situations, of course, but just to throw that out there.

jbelzer82 said:
To any M1s who may be reading i am sure thisahs been asked before but rather than searching through every page-what was the average cost of each semesters books? I am looking to probably buy them off someone and want to know a fair price -more than they would get back-less than I would pay etc

I can't quote you exact prices due to legal concerns (actually, i just have no clue what they are), but there are always flyers up from previous years' students selling their old texts. The prices are usually pretty reasonable.

You are also not required to buy any books. There are some that are pretty essential, but not required...Like Netter. If you don't wanna buy your books and don't mind the library, they have all the major texts you need on reserve.

However, the textbook prices are pretty much on par with undergrad. I bought perhaps 3 major textbooks, all anatomy, last semester, one of which was rarely useful but still good when i needed it (Rowan's color atlas).

jbelzer82 said:

The cost of books could vary depending on which ones you decide to buy...anywhere from $0-300+. Some of the books are very superfluous when the lecture notes compiled by the professor are fairly comprehensive (usually the case). I would have bought fewer books 1st semester if I had known better.

Lemme break it down for you. Here's what I bought, with prices as near as I can remember:

1st semester:
Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy - $70? Useful only for the "blue box" clinical correlations. I wouldn't buy it again, would just use the library's reserve copies.

Lippincott's Biochem - ~$45 on Amazon Marketplace? Marginally useful during the course...hopefully Xandie will say that she's loving hers for Step 1 study, otherwise it was probably a waste of money.

Netter's - $0 I had gotten one from my parents as a gift, but you can get a free copy if you join AMSA at the beginning of the year (~$70). You actually need 2 of these, one for home and one to keep in the lab (1/lab group). My big sib gave me his old "dirty Netter" for use in the lab...I will be passing its stinky nastiness on to my little sib next year.

Rohen's Atlas - <$15 used on Amazon. This is the "picture" atlas of anatomy. Didn't use it much, but it was good for quizzing myself before lab practicals.

Anatomy dissection kit: $14, necessary... each person in our group had one and we were down to 1 foreceps by the end of the semester.

Medical interviewing book - $0 (from my big sib) I read a bunch of it before medical inteviewing even started (bathroom reading), but it was worthless. Don't buy it if you don't get one handed down to you.

I didn't buy the book for Devo, and only used it on reserve in the library once or twice.

2nd Semester:
Guyton's Physiology - don't remember, maybe $65 on Amazon Marketplace for a new copy? AWESOME book...it is definitely the best textbook I've ever owned and I would recommend it.

Wheater's Histology
- ~$20 on Amazon Mktplc. Only used it during the labs, but pretty helpful, and the library runs out of reserves during the lab.

That's it. Didn't buy the Neuroscience book (I actually have a huge complaint about this because none of the professors' recommended readings are out of the book they tell you to buy. Dr. Neitz puts 2 questions on each exam straight from the book, and I'm batting about .750 on those because he writes the answers into the question stem most of the time.)

So in summary, I would say DON'T overspend on books. You can get by with very little, and it will save you a TON of money. Wait to see what your Big Sib is willing to give you before you buy anything. Some people let their little sibs borrow or have their old books, some don't (mine only gave me the 2 I mentioned here). I plan on letting my little sib have all of my books for the first month or so, so they can decide which ones they want to buy for themselves.

You can generally find a better deal for an essentially new or slightly used book on Amazon Marketplace than you can in the bookstore. I think the only book I couldn't find a better deal on was Moore's Anatomy. Also, the Family Medical Student Assoc. has a used book sale in the beginning of the year where you can get books real cheap.

It seemed like almost every book we had to buy this year had come out with a brand new edition for the first time in 5 or 6 years last year. Hence, we were stuck buying brand new books instead of being able to get used ones for real cheap. I think it will be better for you guys.

Marc, my book post kicks your book post's ass. Sadly, since you posted at 11:03, and I posted at 11:20, that means I spent at least 17 minutes writing mine.

Andy15430 said:
That's it. Didn't buy the Neuroscience book (I actually have a huge complaint about this because none of the professors' recommended readings are out of the book they tell you to buy. Dr. Neitz puts 2 questions on each exam straight from the book, and I'm batting about .750 on those because he writes the answers into the question stem most of the time.

Neitz may not be the course director next year from the rumors I hear, so they will hopefully not be subjected to Nadeau's Neuroscience text. I really loved Kandel's Neuro book since it's sorta the "bible" for that field, supposedly. At any rate, that was usually my "go-to" whenever the lectures or notes weren't helpful (often). I HEART KANDEL. In fact, I know someone that might do some recreational reading from it over the summer....yes...it's me. However, most people don't seem to care about Kandel in our class, but I recommend taking a look at it in the library or finding a cheap used copy somewhere. It helped me understand a lot of major concepts that got lost in lecturer's overly detailed junk.

Andy15430 said:
Marc, my book post kicks your book post's ass. Sadly, since you posted at 11:03, and I posted at 11:20, that means I spent at least 17 minutes writing mine.

I spent that extra time making mac and cheese and added tuna. So really, you're the sucker here.

And the only reason I'm eating mac and cheese with tuna tonight is because I don't feeling driving to your house...

...to eat....

YOUR SOUL

Agent Splat said:
I spent that extra time making mac and cheese and added tuna. So really, you're the sucker here.

And the only reason I'm eating mac and cheese with tuna tonight is because I don't feeling driving to your house...

...to eat....

YOUR SOUL

:laugh: :laugh: I agree that I'm the sucker here...why the hell would I take almost 20 minutes to write an SDN post? I really gotta get faster at this.

Mac & cheese + tuna = :barf: I am a Mac n' cheese purist. Only mac and cheese in my mac 'n cheese.

Andy15430 said:
:laugh: :laugh: I agree that I'm the sucker here...why the hell would I take almost 20 minutes to write an SDN post. I really gotta get faster at this.

Mac & cheese + tune = :barf: I am a Mac n' cheese purist. Only mac and cheese in my mac 'n cheese

Have you ever had spaghetti?

Tuna belongs only in 2 places: Tuna sandwiches, and tuna helper - preferably the Creamy Parmesan variety.

Ah...Saturday night in the life of an M1 enduring super-secret block 5....

This info may be a bit outdated as I have now officially graduated from this fine institution (thank you, thank you...your collective day will come sooner than you expect) but here's my take:

Echo Andy on Kandel. I had it from undergrad and it is good for concepts, but it's also very detailed and far too inclusive for a medical neuroscience text. I think the library copy is probably sufficient. (I also think that Marc is a budding neurologist.)

Netter is a must-have. Don't worry about the juicy copy till you meet your lab group--one of you will inherit one.

Guyton got me through physiology. My grade rose exponentially once I realized the value of this book. In fact, I was able to contest several ?s on the final because I could cite the book (know the graphs especially--just understanding them will allow you to pass the class, if not more).

I really liked Lippincott for biochem because it teaches biochem in very basic terms/concepts and that's really what you need to do well. I didn't touch it for step 1 (sorry andy), as biochem is a very small portion of the test and I didn't spend much (any?) time reviewing it past what was in first aid (don't worry about this book yet).

Agree that Rohen is good for pre-test study, but not for much more. Not sure if it's worth it just for that purpose, though.

I thought Wheater's guide was great, but we were the last class to use old-fashioned slides/microscopes for CTB (kids these days...) so if we couldn't find it on our slides, we relied on Wheaters for the test. That's likely not an issue now, so you can probably do w/o it.

As for the interviewing book...I know I had it but I don't remember anything about it, so it's probably a waste of hard-borrowed cash.

OK, that's all I've got on M1 books. For M2s-to-be, since you didn't ask, here's a quick run-down on those:
Robbins path--very good. don't read it all, but it's great for clarification
BRS path--use this during the course and you'll be set for boards. also good for pre-block exam review.
micro--didn't use anything during the course, but found high yield to be very helpful during board review. may be worth it to buy this early and use it for the class as well.
pharm--notes and coops are fine. i bought lippincott and can count on one hand the number of times i used it
bates physical exam book--bought it. still have it. good for help on H&Ps but don't think i've ever used it to actually help with a physical exam. however, as i've been told, if you want to master medicine, you have to master bates ;)

and that's my piece. have a good rest of the year. get out and enjoy the day or two of non-rain in the next week or two--the books can wait an hour or two. later, folks.

Things that are odd about these posts:

A) I also had mac and cheese with tuna for dinner... hmmm...

B) Kandel was the text for our year, I hadn't realized they changed it. And I know absolutely NO neuroscience. I only scheduled half a day to review it, and I'll probably stick to that, but yikes. If I get a neuro heavy test, I am SCREWED. Big time.

Thanks for the info, Hawkeye. Congrats on being gradjumatated!

Xandie, I'm with you on the not knowing any Neuroscience thing. Unfortunately, I have a final in the class on Wednesday. Seriously, I think I could have not taken Neuro this semester and I would feel about as good about this test as I do having taken the class.

Yes, Hawkeye, congratulations!! Drop in on us from time to time if you're not busy being asleep. See all of you big kids running around with family and robes and stuff got me all choked up.

Well, actually it just got me thinking about graduation and how it would be nice to be done with "this part."

And thanks for the M2 book reviews. Very much appreciated.

If I could buy everyone in the U.S. a copy of Kandel I would. Or maybe just get a copy in every hotel room next to the Gideon's Bible.

I'm not sure which one I'd rather NOT read.

And yes, Travis, congrats! Where/in what did you match? I haven't seen the list this year...

Rather than reading 22 pages to see if anyone asked.....:p

Does biochem last all of M1? I just got the big packet from MCW detailing stuff like vaccinations and physicals and more, and I noticed a flyer from the biochem department. I was looking at the mighty lengthy list of topics, and I'm wondering if that's just a semester or the whole year.

TheProwler said:

Does biochem last all of M1? I just got the big packet from MCW detailing stuff like vaccinations and physicals and more, and I noticed a flyer from the biochem department. I was looking at the mighty lengthy list of topics, and I'm wondering if that's just a semester or the whole year.

Biochem is just 1 semester, from Aug. to Dec. Trust me, by the end it will feel like about 2 years, though. I remember feeling really overwhelmed when I first saw the schedule for M1 year and noticed all the titles of the Biochem lectures. I was like, "Wow, they really do expect us to learn this stuff in one lecture, huh?" You cover major things that would take a whole semester in undergrad in one week! It's not as bad as it seems, though. I already forgot everything anyway.

If they send you a letter saying that you should get a headstart on reading some Biochem this summer (like they did to us last year), crumple it up and throw it in the trash. Not necessary unless you have zero science background. I wish they wouldn't scare people like that.

TheProwler said:

It's just one teeny semester (thank God). You do have it every day, for an hour and a half. It's kind of like high school, in that way.

The only full year classes are pathology second year, and clinical continuum, which is more a combination of four week long classes and a lecture every few weeks.

If you ask me, pharm should be a full year too. Then we wouldn't have to have it every day and wouldn't have to skip drugs so that we *only* had to learn 850 drugs... not that step 1 cares what the school focuses on... color vision? Ha.

Sorry, I'm a little cranky because I'm reading "Neoplastic and Proliferative Disorders of the Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Systems" at 2 am. Whee!!

So I just got done reading all of the block 5 neuro in one sitting. Thought I'd check in to SDN to see what's up today, and holy crap, it took me a while to read through. Both Xandie and Andy (hey, that rhymes!) posted during that time.

Anyway, that neuro book, I'm so mad about. They stressed so much at the beginning that it was required and we'd need to read a crapload on our own, blah, blah, blah. So I was a sucker and bought it. Never touched it again. Out of those 2 ? per test from the text, I have only gotten one wrong. I've never seen a Kandel either (don't think they have it in the bookstore anymore) and I'm still high passing, so I wouldn't say you need that either.

You need Netter (join AMSA!!!), Gutyon for phys, and well, that's about it. Wheater's Atlas for cell. Yup, that's it.

Sounds like next year they're gonna require everyone to buy Robbins for path and have a password to access the online crap in small group computer sessions. Great, more class I HAVE to go to. :rolleyes:

Well, I've finished off 2 starbucks drinks and there's only one other med student still here. I guess it's time to go home. (this starbucks is open 24 hours - very nice!) Have a good night - or morning - everyone! :D

Oh and congratulations Hawkeye!! I worked the grad ceremony yesterday as an usher. Man that was long! But I got paid well.

I'll post my take on the M1 books, since it seems like it's the cool thing to do.

As far as 1st semester goes, I picked up Netter, Rohen's Atlas, Lippincott's Biochem, High Yield Embryo, BRS Anatomy, and had access to the full length Embryo text and big Moore's Anatomy. (Yes, I am a huge book geek) I used the embryo texts about once each, although I think HY Embryo will be good for boards. Lippincott's was great for getting baseline understanding of those biochem pathways, and had some nice color diagrams, but overall it probably wasn't necessary. Just another excuse for me to NOT stare at those lecture notes for another hour every night but still convince myself I was being productive. As far as anatomy goes, of course Netter is awesome. I would caution those hoping for the free Netter from AMSA (like I was) that it costs nearly as much money to join the organization as it does to buy a Netter, and they also require you to sign up for their AMSA credit card. Seemed a little dicey to me, so I opted out. Moore's Anatomy has great clinical blue boxes, but you could definitely get by using the library copy. I really liked BRS Gross Anatomy though, as I felt like it covered the Blue Box material in less time and had some good diagrams to reinforce lecture material. I don't think it will be too useful for the boards though--kind of overkill. Rohen's is sort of useful for studying for lab practicals, but probably not $70 useful. Just hope you luck out and have me as a little sib, and I'll hook you up. ;)

Second semester: Let me be the first to disagree with 98% of my class on Guyton. I think that the text is really pretty good, but I don't think it's necessary to read that SPECIFIC text to get the understanding needed for exams (except Dr. Cowley's cardiovascular questions--read Guyton for those). I picked up a used Guyton and Costanzo's Physiology books (both her full length and BRS) and was far more impressed with Costanzo's work as far as usefulness for a med student. The reading is much more concise, as Guyton goes on long diatribes about how researchers learned concepts, and blah blah. In short, it took me probably over 10 hours to read the Renal stuff in Guyton, but after picking up Costanzo's book I had a better overall understanding in about 3 hours. High yield, baby. Oh, and BRS Physiology seems to be the gold standard for board review, so if you're trying to ease the pain of buying all those review books by spreading them out over the first two years, something to keep in mind. As far as Neuro goes, I picked up a copy of Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy text before the semester started, and thought it was a good book. It wasn't really useful for the course much, but that's less the fault of the author than the organization of our particular course. Overall, I wouldn't really recommend getting a book for Neuro...just suck it up and use the coops when the notes are poorly written (i.e. 50% of the time).

Holy crap. If you actually read all of this I give you an Honors in Attention-Span. Now get out there and enjoy some of this weather while we M1s face the impending doom of our Neuro final.

Shifting away from books a little bit, here's some information I wished I had known ahead of time, but didn't think to ask. I'm positive that many of you have probably been wondering though, which hand lotion is best for keeping your hands soft and silky smooth while in medical school.

I definitely recommend any Gold Bond hand lotion. It is not greasy and maintains moisture in your skin for a long time. It's a bit more pricey, around 8-9 bucks for a 14 oz. bottle, but it lasts a LONG time (most of the year for me). It was in fact picked by a lot of professionals that wash their hands frequently and suffer from dry and cracked skin to be the best, and I would agree.

My only problem with the Gold Bond is that it lacks a fun scent. It is not displeasing in any way, but it is certainly neutral and has no aromatherapeautic effects.

A note on Bath and Body Works products...They are fun and come in convenient sizes, but certainly do not maintain moisture as long. Plus, they have an antimicrobial thing going on that I'm sure many people may have concerns about. However, that being said, I keep a personal-sized bottle of Country Apple scent in my backpack at all times. The lesser moisturizing ability is not as big of a deal if it's just for a quick fix, and it smells good.

I guess it all comes down to personal needs and preference, but I really think most M1s will probably agree that Gold Bond is by far the most effective, albeit a tad more boring.

Agent Splat said:
Shifting away from books a little bit, here's some information I wished I had known ahead of time, but didn't think to ask. I'm positive that many of you have probably been wondering though, which hand lotion is best for keeping your hands soft and silky smooth while in medical school.

I definitely recommend any Gold Bond hand lotion. It is not greasy and maintains moisture in your skin for a long time. It's a bit more pricey, around 8-9 bucks for a 14 oz. bottle, but it lasts a LONG time (most of the year for me). It was in fact picked by a lot of professionals that wash their hands frequently and suffer from dry and cracked skin to be the best, and I would agree.

My only problem with the Gold Bond is that it lacks a fun scent. It is not displeasing in any way, but it is certainly neutral and has no aromatherapeautic effects.

A note on Bath and Body Works products...They are fun and come in convenient sizes, but certainly do not maintain moisture as long. Plus, they have an antimicrobial thing going on that I'm sure many people may have concerns about. However, that being said, I keep a personal-sized bottle of Country Apple scent in my backpack at all times. The lesser moisturizing ability is not as big of a deal if it's just for a quick fix, and it smells good.

I guess it all comes down to personal needs and preference, but I really think most M1s will probably agree that Gold Bond is by far the most effective, albeit a tad more boring.

I could not agree more with anything ever written in the whole history of mankind.

Andy15430 said:
I could not agree more with anything ever written in the whole history of mankind.

shut up, tuna-hater.

Xandie said:
It's just one teeny semester (thank God). You do have it every day, for an hour and a half. It's kind of like high school, in that way.

The only full year classes are pathology second year, and clinical continuum, which is more a combination of four week long classes and a lecture every few weeks.

If you ask me, pharm should be a full year too. Then we wouldn't have to have it every day and wouldn't have to skip drugs so that we *only* had to learn 850 drugs... not that step 1 cares what the school focuses on... color vision? Ha.

Sorry, I'm a little cranky because I'm reading "Neoplastic and Proliferative Disorders of the Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Systems" at 2 am. Whee!!

The trick to biochem is to keep up (that is, to do every day's lecture in the afternoon.) 100 minutes of lecture per day means that every two days, you do more than a weeks worth of what lecture was in undergrad.

MJB

penis penis penis .....vagina vagina vagina

pratik7 said:

good times.

pratik7 said:

Gee, guys, maybe I'm kind of old-fashioned, but I've always preferred the more traditional approach.

You know, penis vagina penis vagina penis vagina.

Am I hopelessly out of touch?

pratik7 said:

I just watched that movie a few days ago...sigh... "I give it a 10. 10. Mother-fing 10!"

MARTY DON'T FORGET TO LOG OFF THE COMPUTERS IN THE LIBRARY WHEN YOU USE THEM