MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EmjayBeeDoc said:
MARTY DON'T FORGET TO LOG OFF THE COMPUTERS IN THE LIBRARY WHEN YOU USE THEM

Whoa! Was that necessary? Anyway...

Pukin' rally!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Apart from the notes which text books did you guys buy for year one?

fromnowhere said:

That was just answered like a few pages before in a whole lot more detail than I'm going to give now. =)

I bought:
1st semester
The anatomy text they recommend and sell at the bookstore-- not very useful. I read it first block, and that was it. I showed it my dad (who's an orthopod) and he was amazed at some of the Xrays they put in because they were horrible examples of what they were trying to show (not that I would've been able to tell that though). Basically he thought they were examples of what not to do (bad angles in joint replacements, etc).
Netter -- I heart Frank.
Color Atlas of Anatomy
Grant's Atlas of Anatomy

I heart anatomy atlases. Those were more useful than the text for explaining stuff -- especially Grant's because it has text in it. Color has pictures. Netter and Grant's have paintings.
I borrowed a biochem book from my big sib. Used it for reference a couple of times, I wouldn't recommend buying one.
Didn't buy the devo book. Borrowed a friend's when we had required readings.
Medical Interviewing -- I used it more for my PBL class than for the interviewing class.

2nd semester
Guyton for phys -- I love Guyton
Nadeau's Neuroscience is bs. Don't buy it. My dad saw the email that said it was required, so he said he'd buy it for me as a Christmas present. There's been the whole discussion about Nadeau and Kandel already. Maybe they'll change the book next year.
Wheater's for CTB is good -- I like it. Especially since I never went to CTB lab. I did almost every lab at home, so Wheater's examples made it so I could figure out what I should be looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
fromnowhere said:

in addition to asher's excellent post above, there's a pretty good discussion of this a page or two back.

oh, and i also used netter's devo atlas--it's really good for difficult concepts like cardiac development. in fact, that may be all i used it for. you can definitely get by with buying just a few books/semester, and there are only a few that i think you need to actually own (netter, guyton, robbins (path M2 year)). everything else you can borrow/check out the few times you need them.

Ashers said:
I heart anatomy atlases.

in that case, what about gray's (or is it grey's?) anatomy??? the spelling depends on your generation and pop culture vernacular, i guess. ;)

Andy15430 said:
Thanks for the info, Hawkeye. Congrats on being gradjumatated!

Thanks, andy. it's long been a goal of mine to gradjumate from medical school and i've finally done it. it funny, because everyone keeps asking me how it feels and, well, since i haven't done a "real" rotation since november and am likely stupider now than then, i can't say it feels all that different. now, come july when nurses are asking me what i want them to do with a crumping patient, i'm guessing it will feel a little bit different than october when i could just turf that question to the intern. :eek:

Agent Splat said:
Yes, Hawkeye, congratulations!! Drop in on us from time to time if you're not busy being asleep. See all of you big kids running around with family and robes and stuff got me all choked up.

Aw, getting all emotional on us, mr. soul-eater? i'll admit i got chills hearing my name preceded by "doctor" but what really choked me up was watching my roommates drive away knowing that i probably won't see them for at least a year. you're meeting some of your best friends ever right now--you should all realize that and take advantage of the time you have together. ok, i'm starting to sound like splat, so i'll move on...

Xandie said:
And yes, Travis, congrats! Where/in what did you match? I haven't seen the list this year...

Thanks, xandie. i matched in emergency medicine at indiana university. not the most sought-after locale (like milwaukee without the lake) but it's an amazing program and i can't wait to get started. and, though it was my #1, this whole packing/moving thing is making me wonder a little bit why i chose to move. moving sucks.

akpete said:
Oh and congratulations Hawkeye!! I worked the grad ceremony yesterday as an usher. Man that was long! But I got paid well.

You were there? sorry, that sucks. but, at least you got paid, i guess. all i got was a piece of paper and a bunch of pictures of me dressed up in a goofy get up. where were you? i probably walked past you several times and didn't even know it. wait, you don't look like your avatar, do you? because if you do i actually might have seen you.

OK, that's all for know. Thanks for all of the congrats. I'll try to keep in touch for the next month or so during the moving downtime, but then i'm sure the "rigors" of residency will cut into my SDN time. M1s--good luck on finals. enjoy your summers (not too much academic stuff, ok? it won't matter much a few years from now). M2s--good luck studying and rock step one. you've been well-prepared to this point. enjoy your weeks off and have a blast on the wards--it's waaaayy better than the last two years. take care and look me up if you're in indy. later.

I'm looking at apartments both in wauwatosa and downtown. Is it a huge pain to live downtown and commute each day??? Also--does anyone know anything about serafino square???

molmala said:
I'm looking at apartments both in wauwatosa and downtown. Is it a huge pain to live downtown and commute each day??? Also--does anyone know anything about serafino square???

Where downtown? The next two years will be an iffy time to commute via interstate because of construction on the Marquette Interchange (where I-94 meets I-43 and I-794). On the other hand, you could take the #10 bus from downtown (as long as you're near Wisconsin Ave.) and study on the bus if that sort of thing works for you.

What's your personal definition of a long commute? If you've lived in a big city, you'll laugh at what Milwaukeeans consider to be REALLY BAD TRAFFIC. It's all relative.

fromnowhere said:

I would suggest that you avoid textbooks. They are boring and too detailed and you wont have time to read them. All i bought this year outside of the course notes was rohans, BRS anatomy, and BRS phys (grand total of 90 bucks) I didnt buy guyton or netter but did check them out of the library( all textbooks are in the lib reserve for 2 hours) before exams to look up things i didnt understand.

But everyone has their own method of learning soo look back to undergrand and see if you used textbooks regularly there. If you didnt then...you prob wont now.

Happy Summer (almost)

akpete said:
Whoa! Was that necessary? Anyway...

Pukin' rally!!!

It is "puke and rally". C'mon.

Hawkeye Kid said:
You were there? sorry, that sucks. but, at least you got paid, i guess. all i got was a piece of paper and a bunch of pictures of me dressed up in a goofy get up. where were you? i probably walked past you several times and didn't even know it. wait, you don't look like your avatar, do you? because if you do i actually might have seen you.

I look exactly like my avatar. :cool:

I was on the 2nd floor by the elevator, informing the people who couldn't quite figure it out for themselves that they were on the balcony level. I was pretty much right next to the 2 girls telling grads that once they go into Plankinton hall that they can't leave. Might be the easiest money I've ever made. Wait, no, that would be donating plasma (which I really need to start doing again). Good luck in Indy. :luck:

molmala said:
Also--does anyone know anything about serafino square???

I know of one M2 that lives there. It's actually mostly old folks, but I guess a couple years ago they decided to open it up to other people. She likes it there I believe. It looks really nice from the outside. I think it's ~$800 for a 1Br. Not sure about 2Br. She did say though that there's only a few other young people she sees walking around. But that could change year to year.

Oh, about the traffic thing, it's not so bad. even with the construction and traffic you can still usually get from downtown to school area in maybe 30 minutes-ish I think.

indo said:
It is "puke and rally". C'mon.

I though it was "puking rally" as in a rally of puking.

akpete said:
I though it was "puking rally" as in a rally of puking.

Not where I'm from. You puke, then rally - puke & rally! I was a master of it my freshman year of college...not so much any more. I'm out for the night if I drink enough to puke nowadays (haven't done that in a long time, though).

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy15430 said:
Not where I'm from. You puke, then rally - puke & rally! I was a master of it my freshman year of college...not so much any more. I'm out for the night if I drink enough to puke nowadays (haven't done that in a long time, though).

yeah, simultaneous puking and rallying would be a mythical feat reserved for only the strongest of the strong.

molmala said:

agree with above about traffic from downtown in the next year or two. however, it's still not THAT bad vs. bigger cities.

as for serafino square, i'm actually in the process of helping my girlfriend and her roommate move into that joint. it is close to mayfair mall, about 5-7 min from MCW, and has a reputation for being a retirement village, which is only part true. in reality, it seems to be roughly 50-60% old people and 40-50% people our age. it's a nice place, with patios, a pool and work out facility (which i have not seen) but is a wee bit pricey on a med student salary, though with a roommate you'll pay in the neighborhood of 500-550, which may be doable. PM me if you have other questions.

Hawkeye Kid said:
in that case, what about gray's (or is it grey's?) anatomy??? the spelling depends on your generation and pop culture vernacular, i guess. ;)

I think 3 atlases were enough (and heavy enough to carry to school). =) And I do like Grey's Anatomy. I was so sad with the ending of the show.

Congrats on graduating, Hawkeye! I can't wait to be done. But first, neuro -- I'll be so incredibly glad to be done with that class.

I have friends who live in Serafino Square. Their apartment seems nice when I've gone and hung out there. I"m not sure about the cost though.

One of the places is on Wisconsin Ave. and the other is on Ogden. Thanks for your help!

Let me be the first in this hijacked thread to express my deep sorrow over the end of our neuroscience course. As always, I felt the professors prepared us incredibly well for the material that was covered in the final exam today, and I know that I will be a better clinician in three years because I have a comprehensive knowledge base in neuroscience.

Or not. The only thing I learned in this class is that there is absolutely no way that I will become a neurologist. Not a chance. In fact, I hope to spend a grand total of one more day during my entire career covering material pertaining to the nervous system, that being the one day I will devote to the subject while studying for Step 1. Until then, I'm out!

DoctorFunk said:
The only thing I learned in this class is that there is absolutely no way that I will become a neurologist. Not a chance.

Quoted for truth! I knew it was bad when I was calculating exactly how many points I needed on the test to still pass the class. Not only that, but I seriously based my studying off of the fact that I only needed a 35% to pass. It's really a joke that I passed at all, given how much Neuroscience I actually know.

Hopefully it will be better for you folks next year.

Andy15430 said:
Quoted for truth! I knew it was bad when I was calculating exactly how many points I needed on the test to still pass the class. Not only that, but I seriously based my studying off of the fact that I only needed a 35% to pass. It's really a joke that I passed at all, given how much Neuroscience I actually know.

Hopefully it will be better for you folks next year.

I think it shows signs of a bad class when I can study for the test by old tests, not understand a thing, and still high pass. Dang. I really prefer understanding stuff.

Thanks again to everyone in here. The conversation is often ... enlightening ;) And always helpful!

Speaking of helpful(how's that for a segue?), I am trying to get ahold of a specific professor but I cannot find his email address anywhere on the public MCW website. I would really appreciate it if a current student could help me out -- PM me if overly generous/interested/curious.

Also, I will likely be in and out of Milwaukee during June before moving there in July(re: during the World Cup). Would anyone be game for potentially watching some at a pub? Plus I hear there is a group of students who play soccer on Mondays. Does anyone know if its during the summer too? If so, what time?

DoctorFunk said:
Let me be the first in this hijacked thread to express my deep sorrow over the end of our neuroscience course. As always, I felt the professors prepared us incredibly well for the material that was covered in the final exam today, and I know that I will be a better clinician in three years because I have a comprehensive knowledge base in neuroscience.

Or not. The only thing I learned in this class is that there is absolutely no way that I will become a neurologist. Not a chance. In fact, I hope to spend a grand total of one more day during my entire career covering material pertaining to the nervous system, that being the one day I will devote to the subject while studying for Step 1. Until then, I'm out!

Neuro was obviously designed for people who don't like kittens.

Just like physiology was designed for people that don't like dogs. Or goats. Or ponies.

(note for new people...I'm referring to experiments we learned about not, actually performed...with the exception of the dog lab).

pratik7 said:
girls have penises ..boys have vaginas

I've always said Milwaukee is the San Francisco of the Midwest.

DoctorFunk said:
I've always said Milwaukee is the San Francisco of the Midwest.

Or the New Orleans. You know, the town where the best looking women aren't.

samenewme said:

Hey!! :eek:

samenewme said:

Zoom zoom zoom!

akpete said:

Hey, what? I'm just saying I'll never be as good looking as a drag queen. I just don't have that attention to detail.

samenewme said:
Hey, what? I'm just saying I'll never be as good looking as a drag queen. I just don't have that attention to detail.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats to all you M1's for finishing your first year! Only 3 more years and a few board exams to go before you get that MD!

I got the letter telling me I ought to go try on a white coat somewhere to make sure the size is right. Given that I sew and am appallingly fussy about fit, this strikes me as a good idea (unlike the suggestion to read two big, fat biochem books over the summer). Does anybody know a uniform store in the Milwaukee area that carries the META lab coats?

samenewme said:
I got the letter telling me I ought to go try on a white coat somewhere to make sure the size is right. Given that I sew and am appallingly fussy about fit, this strikes me as a good idea (unlike the suggestion to read two big, fat biochem books over the summer). Does anybody know a uniform store in the Milwaukee area that carries the META lab coats?

No, don't know of it, but last year they had us try on the coats when we picked them up like on Tuesday, and if it didn't fit, they'd get us another size.

DONE WITH EXAMS!!!!!!!!! I'm so stoked!

samenewme said:

I thought our bookstore had META, because I bought a long white coat there for lab, and it's a META. Aside from being longer it might give you an idea of what you need. coudln't hurt to swing over there.

Congrats new M-2s! And, in the grand tradition of high school, congrats to the new M-1s! It's your title now, no one else wants it.

Sigh... microbiology today. And catching up, because I'm already behind. Yikes.

indo said:
Also, what do you all know about the Shorewood area?

Indo, my wife and I live in Shorewood and we love it! We live in a duplex just 2 blocks from the lake and pay almost exactly what we would in Tosa for the same size place. If you are thinking about shorewood, I would check out Downer Ave - there are quite a number of duplexes for rent, especially close to UW-Milwaukee. It is really close to the East Side, so there is always somewhere new to check out. If you like to run or bike, it is also a sweet location, becuase running along the lake sure beats running along the sidewalks of suburbia (or on treadmill in the MCW basement for that matter).

The one slight downside is it takes me 20-25 min to get to school, and on the occasional day can be even worse. The Marquette interchange hasn't been much of a problem, it really only sucks for about 2 days after they open/close an exit they are working on. On most days I don't mind the drive, because I get to drive along the lake front every day, but once in a while you wish you could have used that extra 20 min of sleep.

Also, some of the hospitals you rotate at in years 3-4 are closer to downtown, so the commute can work in your favor then.

Hope this helps, if anyone else has questions about living in the Shorewood/UWM/East side areas, feel free to shoot me a line.

Congrats to all who have been accepted. I just finished my M1 year, and have really been impressed with MCW.

EmjayBeeDoc said:
I'm done an I am going to Europe. Goodbye!

Europe, Wisconsin?

Hey Guys, I'm gonna start studying for pathology and the boards this week, probably 40-50 hours a week. If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know!

Agent Splat said:
Hey Guys, I'm gonna start studying for pathology and the boards this week, probably 40-50 hours a week. If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know!

Dude, count me in. I can get ready for working 80 hours/wk as a resident, b/c I also have 40 hours of research a week.

Ashers said:
Dude, count me in. I can get ready for working 80 hours/wk as a resident, b/c I also have 40 hours of research a week.

If you have to go to that orientation session thing tomorrow and Wednesday, bring something to read. It's amazingly boring. Amazingly. Worst two days of last summer for sure. We did crossword puzzles.f

Xandie said:
If you have to go to that orientation session thing tomorrow and Wednesday, bring something to read. It's amazingly boring. Amazingly. Worst two days of last summer for sure. We did crossword puzzles.f

Thanks for the hint Xandie. I'll bring my Sudoku book or something. =)

Does the school email the room mate list or does it just become available on the school website?
Anybody have an apartment near campus and looking to rent a room around $350 - $400?

Franimal said:
Does the school email the room mate list or does it just become available on the school website?
Anybody have an apartment near campus and looking to rent a room around $350 - $400?

I rented an apartment 2.3 miles from campus and am looking for a female roommate to split $775 rent.

They MAIL out a list starting in June, apparently.

samenewme said:
I rented an apartment 2.3 miles from campus and am looking for a female roommate to split $775 rent.

i pm-ed you

samenewme said:

THat souds like exactly what I am looking for... anybody in a similar situation looking for a guy room mate though?

Can any current students give me advice as to what kind of computer to buy??? Has anyone used the tablet pcs??? If so--do they find them useful? Do people with macs have a difficult time??? Thanks so much!

Did you guys get that list from biochem department!?

samenewme said:
Oh, yeah, but I'm clinging to Andy's advice like a nylon sock in winter.

As well you should. Anything you read about biochem over the summer will be long forgotten by the time you come to school, and the course notes are so well done for that class that studying from anything other than them is a waste of time. Trust me, it will seem impossible at first, but you can and will learn biochem during fall semester!

DoctorFunk said:
Trust me, it will seem impossible at first, but you can and will learn biochem during fall semester!

One more thing--you'll also promptly forget everything you learned in biochem within a week of passing the class.