who's who of SDN military med knowledge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come on? I am not SAD...when I'm drunk.... :D

Members don't see this ad.

former military said:
You can change me from Sad to Mad or if you can find a symbol of a guy with the middle finger up that would be most descriptive

See now, I'm almost glad the smilies didn't work, because I knew somebody would ask to be changed to the barfie, and I just can't stand looking at that thing. :p

New reference list, with a more soldierly caveman and a madder former military! Newcomers and lurkers are welcome to post, and I'll add you to the list:

Navy Anesthesia and/or Critical Care
mad militarymd
content pgg with amplification

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
sad orbitsurgMD
cool medivac
content chickendoc
cool Cathance

Navy GMO
cool usnavdoc
cool NavMtnDoc with amplification

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Family Practice
mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content USAFGMODOC
content Milrad

Air Force Surgery
mad Galo
mad FliteSurgn
sad mitchconnie
mad former military

Legend:
content = more good things to say than bad
cool = both good & bad; wait&see approach to staying in past commitment
sad = more bad things to say than good; generally get out ASAP
mad = self-explanatory!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pemberley said:
cool pgg with amplification

Legend:
mad = self-explanatory!

I think I'm more content than cool. I'm perfectly happy where I am and the Navy has yet to do anything to crush my dreams or sap my will to live.

It also might be more accurate to add some indicator of level next to each name (eg, student, intern, GMO, resident, staff, retired, got out early). The implication above is that I'm an anesthesiologist or s/p a critical care fellowship, neither of which are honorifics I'm entitled to. :)

I'm a humble CA-1. (Three days in, no sentinel events to my name yet. :luck: )

I realized I had not put my info in on this.

former HPSP
Navy FP - finished residency in 97
Trained in military
Had operational/hospital/clinic jobs
Deployed x 3

Based on the scale, I would have to rate myself content.

pgg said:
It also might be more accurate to add some indicator of level next to each name (eg, student, intern, GMO, resident, staff, retired, got out early). The implication above is that I'm an anesthesiologist or s/p a critical care fellowship, neither of which are honorifics I'm entitled to. :)

I'm a humble CA-1. (Three days in, no sentinel events to my name yet. :luck: )

Good idea! I may work on this when I have a minute. (As a humble MS-negative-one, I'm busy filling out secondaries :( )

Thanks NavyFP!

For now, I'll just edit my previous post... that's quickest.

army gmo (similar to school nurse duties)
mad
4 yrs of gmo commitment
upshot is that i have 8 mos left! t/g. :thumbdown:

homeboy said:
What are people's general opinion on military residencies vs civilian residencies? I've heard good and bad...

6 yrs enlisted Army, combat engineer; medic--8 yr service obligation already up.
Currently commissioned as a 2nd Lt in Nat'l Guard (3rd yr med student)...not sure if I want to do military residency or civilian...

or please PM me if you know if guardsmen can even go into military residencies unless they enter contractual obligation...

Depends on what field you plan to go into. If you want to do FP or internal medicine, the military would probably be an OK way to go; better than some civilian residencies, not as good as others. The Army's ER residencies are also pretty good, and I imagine with all the GWOT injuries, PM&R residency at Walter Reed would be pretty amazing right now. However, if you plan on doing something highly procedural (i.e., surgery) you will do much better for yourself in a civilian program; you will work harder than in a mil residency, but you will have much, much more OR time to hone your skills, which is what really counts.

Regarding your other question, I'm not sure if NG members can do military residencies. I'd suggest you call the residency director or specific specialty program director at whatever program you may be interested in and ask them.

X-RMD (Happily celebrating one month of civilian life!)

Adding Medical Corpse. Shocked -- shocked! -- to discover he wanted a frowny-face. ;) Added jacoby as well. Newcomers and lurkers are welcome to post, and I'll add you to the list:

mad militarymd

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
sad orbitsurgMD
cool medivac
content chickendoc
cool Cathance

Navy GMO
cool usnavdoc

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1
mad jacoby

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Anesthesia
mad MedicalCorpse

mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content USAFGMODOC
content Milrad

Air Force Surgery
mad Galo
mad FliteSurgn
sad mitchconnie
mad former military

Legend:
mad = self-explanatory![/QUOTE]

I'm a second tour navy GMO and you can put me down as mad.

I will qualify further once my resignation is a done deal, and my commission is resigned.

i want out

Members don't see this ad :)
I betcha "he's" a guy-NURSE.

I am a guy nurse!! LOL This is very informative and answers a question I posted to Galo early this morning. At least I know who I am talking to.

Sparky

I am a guy nurse!! LOL This is very informative and answers a question I posted to Galo early this morning. At least I know who I am talking to.

This explains a lot.

Remind me to tell you about the postcard I saw while deployed to Turkey; it was prominently left out in the O.R. lounge at Incirlik's rinky-dink pseudo-hospital. Coincidentally, it was also addressed to a male O.R. nurse nicknamed "Sparky".

At the risk of betraying my caducity: This Explains A Lot. :rolleyes:

--
R
http://www.medicalcorpse.com

1) Admin Question: I've read some posts here about admin, I have some military experience, and I completed a MHA and a MPH (minus internships I'm doing in a couple months) during the first two years of DO school. I have a question which might better go on another thread, but I'll introduce it here:

Most of the docs on military SDN threads don't want to be burdened with doing things that aren't medicine. Breaking up their training and preventing their regular practice of medicine seems to be a common complaint. Even if said docs did want to do admin, they'd get paid significantly less than doing what they're trained for: Medicine....much less mention job satisfaction.

This lack of interest, I theorize, is why Nurses, MSC's, and other non-physician types get plugged into powerful policy making positions much to the chagrin of the working class hero docs. For a non-physician type the opportunity to advance to a position where they can make changes that make sense to them as support staff...well, let's just say common sense can becoem an uncommon virtue.

My question is: What the hell else is the bureaucracy to do?

If you can't get regular docs who are solid achievers and earners to stay in and inherit the "apple-polishing," "desk-warming" jobs, how is the system supposed to change?

(Note: There was a time when I was enlisted...on about the 6-7th year... when I made a conscious decision to join the bureaucracy. I couldn't get out and make as much money to do the same work with the health benefits, education benefits, and shift flexibility. So, I started playing ball as best I could with the lifers...then I became one.)

2) Homonculus: Did I meet you at the NCC Peds meet and greet on 17FEB06?

The bureaucracy should put physicians in charge despite their rank.... A Capt or Maj Physician will better understand how to run the surgical suite than a non MPH - BSN only with not graduate training in clinical medicine will. So even if they cant keep in COLonols they can give the Authority of the hospital to the people who have the medical decision making authority as well. Rank be Da----.

Air Force
Anesthesiologist
Very sad and frustrated that the system has so much potential to be good. I guess I am cool to sad as far as your ranking goes.
depressed and desparate

US Army Rotc undergrad
USUHS Med School - Air Force
Anesthesia Residency
Two PCS's stationed at USAF "Med Centers" :laugh:

Wants to change the system to make it better, but doesnt know how and certainly doesnt have the rank or power to do so.

Deeply cares about my patients, troops, families and retirees.

why 7 by 11? I was born 7/11/66... did you steal my birthday?

This explains a lot.

Remind me to tell you about the postcard I saw while deployed to Turkey; it was prominently left out in the O.R. lounge at Incirlik's rinky-dink pseudo-hospital. Coincidentally, it was also addressed to a male O.R. nurse nicknamed "Sparky".

At the risk of betraying my caducity: This Explains A Lot. :rolleyes:

--
R
http://www.medicalcorpse.com

I am not ashamed of who I am nor of what I do. I wanted to be a phyisician, I was attending an undergrad school that cost $25,000 a year. I opted to get Loan repayment by enlisting. They taught me nursing, I met very cool docs which reaffirmed my desire to pursue medicine. Guy Nurse or not I am happy I am continuing my education. I blame no one for my choices and at least now I have an idea about a physician's perspective of the HPSP as well as the outlook coming from the different services. I am grateful for this forum.

Adding i want out, 7by11thenout, and desperado.
Newcomers and lurkers are encouraged to post, so I can add you to the list:

mad militarymd

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
cool Cathance
content chickendoc
cool medivac
sad orbitsurgMD

Navy GMO
mad i want out
cool usnavdoc

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1
mad jacoby

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Anesthesia
cool-sad 7by11thenout
mad MedicalCorpse

Air Force Emergency Medicine
sad Desperado

mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content Milrad
content USAFGMODOC

Air Force Surgery
mad FliteSurgn
mad former military
mad Galo
sad mitchconnie

Legend:
mad = self-explanatory!

Long time lurker, occasional poster:

4 year Navy HPSP commitment
1 year of civilian surgical internship
Currently half way through flight surgery training

I've had a mixed experience thus far. I haven't been in long enough to get truely bitter about everything, but have had some experiences in the past that have left a bad taste in my mouth. See my old posts for more info. I have seen enough to see where much of the naysayers here come from, and I can definitely say I wish I had a resource like this before I signed up (I joined SDN a year or two before people like x-mmd started showing themselves). I can defilitely see my doctoring skills getting rusty quickly as a GMO-type already, and am definitely glad that I trained outside the military GME system. Being younger and closer to medical school I think I have a slightly different view and spin on things.... I'm happy to answer any questions people have.

Please to not list me as "cool." Being "cool" implies some sort of contentment. While I am not "sad," I'm not "cool" either. I'm just here trying to get myself through all this in one piece.

Edited due to misunderstanding of Pemberley's intentions.

A more accurate legend:
Legend:
content = Will sing the praises of the military; referral for psych eval recommended.
cool = Realistic but an obvious optimist
sad = Realistic but not an optimist
mad = Disagrees with Pemberley's rosy outlook and is loud and verbal about it

You should get together with USAFdoc... he tried to smear me with the "you and IgD" for months before finally either seeing reason or giving up, I'm not sure which. This is despite my having occasionally posted more critically of certain hyper-positive posts than I ever had of super-negative ones (although I'm frequently critical of both), and despite the fact that I've never actually taken a position on the health of military medicine. This is due to my (obviously rosy and over-optimistic) opinion that I am not (and never have been) a military physician and therefore my position would be of limited value.

Technically there should be 5 categories. I was using "cool" as the middle, being occupied by people who say good things and bad things in about equal numbers. The name of the category came from the fact that these people seem to me to be less obsessively fight-picking than the ones who inhabit both ends of the spectrum. I am quite happy to change it to something like "middle" if their lack of offensive spirit is considered to be inappropriate to the military forum. :laugh:

The next two, mad and content, are equal-and-opposite: more good things to say than bad, or more bad than good.

There would be two more on the outside; basically, those who can't stand to hear anything good said, and those who can't stand to hear anything bad said. However, nobody who would probably occupy the highest category has ever posted asking to be included. So it doesn't exist.

There's a symmetry to the system that even somebody spoiling for a fight should be able to see. It's pretty simple. Let me know if you still don't understand it.

Pemberly,
Just wanted to say thanks taking the time to put this list together.

You should get together with USAFdoc... he tried to smear me with the "you and IgD" for months before finally either seeing reason or giving up, I'm not sure which. This is despite my having occasionally posted more critically of certain hyper-positive posts than I ever had of super-negative ones (although I'm frequently critical of both), and despite the fact that I've never actually taken a position on the health of military medicine. This is due to my (obviously rosy and over-optimistic) opinion that I am not (and never have been) a military physician and therefore my position would be of limited value.

Technically there should be 5 categories. I was using "cool" as the middle, being occupied by people who say good things and bad things in about equal numbers. The name of the category came from the fact that these people seem to me to be less obsessively fight-picking than the ones who inhabit both ends of the spectrum. I am quite happy to change it to something like "middle" if their lack of offensive spirit is considered to be inappropriate to the military forum. :laugh:

The next two, mad and content, are equal-and-opposite: more good things to say than bad, or more bad than good.

There would be two more on the outside; basically, those who can't stand to hear anything good said, and those who can't stand to hear anything bad said. However, nobody who would probably occupy the highest category has ever posted asking to be included. So it doesn't exist.

There's a symmetry to the system that even somebody spoiling for a fight should be able to see. It's pretty simple. Let me know if you still don't understand it.
OK, duly noted. I will revise my post. I was just afraid you were trying to malign those who speak openly and in an acerbic manner about military medicine.

You should get together with USAFdoc... he tried to smear me with the "you and IgD" for months before finally either seeing reason or giving up, I'm not sure which. .

well, I dont' give up on something on strongly believe in (which goes to say I no longer believe strongly in USAF Medicine). Reading more of your posts it appeared you were NOT on the same wavelength as IgD, and I believe I retracted that statement linking you two long ago. Having said that, IgD is no longer on the same IgD wavelength either; amazing.

lets also realize that e-mail/internet communications are not exactly the best way to get your points across the first time without any confusion, so it shouldn't be surprising that some peoples threads occassionaly get misinterpreted by people (like yours did by me). Please do not take it personally, and again I appologize for any lack of insight I had at that time.

as this site grows in the number of physicians, I have little doubt that there will be more and more support/evidence consistent with what myself and the other physicians (concerned enough/angry enough to Not look the other way) are stating. It seems like some of the military radiologist are the only ones that are "content" in general about military medicine.

Here's to the next year of threads on SDN, and to a brighter future for military medicine.:love:

well, I dont' give up on something on strongly believe in (which goes to say I no longer believe strongly in USAF Medicine). Reading more of your posts it appeared you were NOT on the same wavelength as IgD, and I believe I retracted that statement linking you two long ago. Having said that, IgD is no longer on the same IgD wavelength either; amazing.

lets also realize that e-mail/internet communications are not exactly the best way to get your points across the first time without any confusion, so it shouldn't be surprising that some peoples threads occassionaly get misinterpreted by people (like yours did by me). Please do not take it personally, and again I appologize for any lack of insight I had at that time.

as this site grows in the number of physicians, I have little doubt that there will be more and more support/evidence consistent with what myself and the other physicians (concerned enough/angry enough to Not look the other way) are stating. It seems like some of the military radiologist are the only ones that are "content" in general about military medicine.

Here's to the next year of threads on SDN, and to a brighter future for military medicine.:love:

I rather thought we understood each other better now -- just didn't want to speak for you for certain. :love:

Adding DaveB, although I wasn't quite sure how he wanted to be categorized. Let's see how this works.

mad militarymd

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
cool Cathance
content chickendoc
cool-sad DaveB
cool medivac
sad orbitsurgMD

Navy GMO
mad i want out
cool usnavdoc

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1
mad jacoby

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Anesthesia
cool-sad 7by11thenout
mad MedicalCorpse

sad Desperado

mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content Milrad
content USAFGMODOC

Air Force Surgery
mad FliteSurgn
mad former military
mad Galo
sad mitchconnie

Legend:
ecstatic = self-explanatory and currently unoccupied
mad = self-explanatory!

I rather thought we understood each other better now -- just didn't want to speak for you for certain. :love:

thanks.......but I still don't like StarGate.:laugh:

Adding DaveB, although I wasn't quite sure how he wanted to be categorized. Let's see how this works.

mad militarymd

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
cool Cathance
content chickendoc
cool-sad DaveB
cool medivac
sad orbitsurgMD

Navy GMO
mad i want out
cool usnavdoc

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1
mad jacoby

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Anesthesia
cool-sad 7by11thenout
mad MedicalCorpse

sad Desperado

mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content Milrad
content USAFGMODOC

Air Force Surgery
mad FliteSurgn
mad former military
mad Galo
sad mitchconnie

Legend:
ecstatic = self-explanatory and currently unoccupied
mad = self-explanatory!

Interesting interservice distribution; lots more Navy and AF people here than Army. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Possible conclusions:
Army docs are busier and have less time to post
Army docs are all in the sandbox
Army docs are less computer literate
Navy and AF docs more pissed off because they were more likely to do GMO tours
And of course . . .
Army medicine is in great shape with no reason for anyone to complain :laugh:

Anyway, you can color me cool when I went in, sad shading to mad by the time I got out.

X-RMD, now very much ecstatic!

Interesting interservice distribution; lots more Navy and AF people here than Army. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Possible conclusions:
Army docs are busier and have less time to post
Army docs are all in the sandbox
Army docs are less computer literate
Navy and AF docs more pissed off because they were more likely to do GMO tours
And of course . . .
Army medicine is in great shape with no reason for anyone to complain :laugh:

Anyway, you can color me cool when I went in, sad shading to mad by the time I got out.

X-RMD, now very much ecstatic!

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I didn't think AF were any more likely than Army to do GMO tours. Most AF docs didn't do a GMO tour.

Bumping for SeminoleFan and any other recently-accepted folks who want to know to whom they can direct specific questions...

mad militarymd

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
cool Cathance
content chickendoc
cool-sad DaveB
cool medivac
sad orbitsurgMD

Navy GMO
mad i want out
cool usnavdoc

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1
mad jacoby

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Anesthesia
cool-sad 7by11thenout
mad MedicalCorpse

sad Desperado

mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content Milrad
content USAFGMODOC

Air Force Surgery
mad FliteSurgn
mad former military
mad Galo
sad mitchconnie

Legend:
ecstatic = self-explanatory (nobody has requested this yet)
mad = self-explanatory!

Air Force ROTC (2 years)
Air Force line officer 7 years active duty, 2 active reserve
AF HPSP 4 years
Civilian deferred residency (urology) finished 2005
solo AF urologist at my second base since July 2005

My practice is OK as far as cases go, could have a few more major open cases but they are not common for many private practice urologists. Don't have the support system (good ICU/critical care help) to do very major cases (like cystectomies) but don't really want to do those kind of cases anyway.

I'm ok with the military, but will get out ASAP. I want to practice the way I want to not the way a HMO makes me. Also, don't have enough staff/support at work, but being a specialist I can slow things down and don't kill myself. I show up at 7:00, usually out the door by 4-5:00. Finally, pay is just too far off the civilian sector to put up with all the coffee drinking meeting attending strap hangers running the show, in addition to all the AF headaches like mandatory computer training courses (can you say trafficking in human training:rolleyes: ) and random crap.

I'm not bitter but in retrospect wish I had taken the loans and done my own thing. I count myself lucky that I got my specialty of choice and didn't have to do a gmo/flight med tour.

Air Force ROTC (2 years)
Air Force line officer 7 years active duty, 2 active reserve
AF HPSP 4 years
Civilian deferred residency (urology) finished 2005
solo AF urologist at my second base since July 2005

My practice is OK as far as cases go, could have a few more major open cases but they are not common for many private practice urologists. Don't have the support system (good ICU/critical care help) to do very major cases (like cystectomies) but don't really want to do those kind of cases anyway.

I'm ok with the military, but will get out ASAP. I want to practice the way I want to not the way a HMO makes me. Also, don't have enough staff/support at work, but being a specialist I can slow things down and don't kill myself. I show up at 7:00, usually out the door by 4-5:00. Finally, pay is just too far off the civilian sector to put up with all the coffee drinking meeting attending strap hangers running the show, in addition to all the AF headaches like mandatory computer training courses (can you say trafficking in human training:rolleyes: ) and random crap.

I'm not bitter but in retrospect wish I had taken the loans and done my own thing. I count myself lucky that I got my specialty of choice and didn't have to do a gmo/flight med tour.

as a former AF urologist who recently separated, I understand your plight... it will get worse... At my base... I stopped doing cystectomies after the gen surgeons refused to support us... "We don't get paid any extra to come in and put central lines in urology patients on a Saturday". I also couldn't do percutaneous nephrostomies because nobody could ever find the ultrasonic lithotripter at case time...every one of these cases was like landing the space shuttle. You are lucky as a solo guy if you are not on call 24/7/365... i got to play that game for awhile as the hospital refused to slow down the tempo and refer patients out when we went from three to one...

Don't know the criteria for the who's who, but here's my info if I were to ever qualify.

3 yr HPSP, commissioned 1996
Civilian General Surgery Internship finished 1999
Civilian ENT residency finished 2004
Serving the last 254 days of a 3-yr ADSC, solo ENT at USAF base
Would do everything possible to avoid doing it again knowing what I know now:mad:

Don't know the criteria for the who's who, but here's my info if I were to ever qualify.

3 yr HPSP, commissioned 1996
Civilian General Surgery Internship finished 1999
Civilian ENT residency finished 2004
Serving the last 254 days of a 3-yr ADSC, solo ENT at USAF base
Would do everything possible to avoid doing it again knowing what I know now:mad:

There seems to be a trend here; allow me to posit an equation:

Air Force + Surgical Specialty (General Surgeon, Surgical Specialist, Anesthesiologist [lumped together by military, so what the heck]) + Out of residency + Smaller Base (vs. "Major Medical Centers" like, um...the remaining Navy and Army Med Centers) + Being one of one or two actual working docs in one's specialty (and thus on call 24/7/365, qod, or tid, with no extra pay [vs. civilian experience]) = profound dissatisfaction/disgust/demoralization leading to ZERO% retention.

Imagine that. The military ought to pay for a study to figure out why. Maybe they could come up with 16 ways to fix military medicine? http://www.medicalcorpse.com/editorials.html

Nah. That's asking way too much, I know.

--
R

There seems to be a trend here; allow me to posit an equation:

Air Force + Surgical Specialty (General Surgeon, Surgical Specialist, Anesthesiologist [lumped together by military, so what the heck]) + Out of residency + Smaller Base (vs. "Major Medical Centers" like, um...the remaining Navy and Army Med Centers) + Being one of one or two actual working docs in one's specialty (and thus on call 24/7/365, qod, or tid, with no extra pay [vs. civilian experience]) = profound dissatisfaction/disgust/demoralization leading to ZERO% retention.
Imagine that. The military ought to pay for a study to figure out why. Maybe they could come up with 16 ways to fix military medicine? http://www.medicalcorpse.com/editorials.html

Nah. That's asking way too much, I know.

--
R

As far as retention goes, the Air Force doesn't want to retain many docs. They don't want to pay major/lieutenant colonel or colonel pay, retirement, healthcare for you and your family. They (for now) have plenty of HPSP and USUHS grads with commitments that they don't need us to stay in. There will always be a handful of acadamy + USUHS grads with such long committments that they will stick out a career and provide the senior officers they "need". Look at the hospitals now--mostly young physicians a few years out of training seeing all the patients, and a few senior docs going ot meetings.

Since this thread was created as a reference, could it be made into a sticky?

I guess I'll add my own here:

Born into military service (mil-brat... Army)
3-yrs Air Force HPSP
Civilian EM residency
3-yrs AF active duty stint (two deployments to the desert)
Separated
Civilian practice now, in a small democratic group

There's more, but none applicable to this forum... Oh, and put me down for a sad face.

For what it's worth...

Long time lurker, sometimes poster.

Navy Corpsman active duty 1993-1998 (8404/8445)
Now civilian EM attending (civilian medical school and residency). No military commitment.

The time/years may not add up to casual readers because I was able to complete a large portion of my undergrad studies while on active duty. Entered U.S. state medical school in 1999. Graduated 2003.

Considered HPSP/USUHS. Decided against it for most of the reasons outlined on this board.

$150,000 in debt. Happy with my choice.

Sorry to be slow, folks, had a rough semester (and since then I've just been lazy) ;)

mad militarymd

Navy Family Practice
content NavyFP

Navy Flight Surgeon
cool Cathance
content chickendoc
cool-sad DaveB
cool medivac
sad orbitsurgMD

Navy GMO
mad i want out
cool usnavdoc

Navy Internal Medicine
cool GMO_52

Navy Radiology
content ExNavyRad
content r90t

Navy Undersea Medicine
sad JA_Perez

Army GMO
sad GMO2003
content hosskp1
mad jacoby

Army Pediatrics
cool Homunculus

Air Force Anesthesia
cool-sad 7by11thenout
mad MedicalCorpse

sad Desperado
sad Ex-44E3A

Air Force ENT
mad resxn

mad USAFdoc

Air Force GMO
mad island doc

Air Force Radiology
content Milrad
content USAFGMODOC

Air Force Surgery
mad FliteSurgn
mad former military
mad Galo
sad mitchconnie

Air Force Urology
sad g293

Allied Medicine when on active duty
Navy Corpsman, now civilian EM: edinOH

Legend:
ecstatic = self-explanatory (nobody has requested this yet)
mad = self-explanatory!

deleted

Last edited: