Faculty in military FM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RockDoc28

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm an active duty family medicine doc currently in a fellowship program and needing to think about what I'm going to be doing after graduation.

One of the options is to return to my residency program to be faculty. I graduated 4 years ago and since that time I've only been seeing healthy active duty clinic-- no OB, no inpatient, no peds, no L&D, not even bread and butter family medicine things like diabetes. I'm worried that if I do faculty I'd have to relearn all these things AND get recertified in things (ALSO, STABLE, NRP, etc) AND do inpatient AND deliver babies AND try to practice and build experience from all the things I'm learning in fellowship AND THEN try to teach this stuff to the residents when I'm barely just relearning it myself.

Has anyone else had this experience? Am I overthinking it?

Everyone I've talked to so far who is faculty at a residency or fellowship program says the work life balance is pretty great compared to the clinic grind, is this true too?

Thanks!
 
God point. I don't know what my career will look like or where I'll be in a few years, maybe it's better to relearn these things so I don't limit myself too much