"Alright, now what?" (Interview day post-interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of us embark on this great journey, we'll undoubtedly travel to cities with which we have very little familiarity. Perhaps some of us will wish to experience some of the local treasures, the scene that makes location x...well, location x. Traveling to a city for an interview at a medical school can be a valuable opportunity to also learn what life would have to offer if by chance you matriculate there. So, let this thread become a resource for all of us that finish our day touring and interviewing at a medical school, and begin to wander back to our sad, lonely room asking ourselves, "Alright, now what?"

If you're familiar with a city or area that hosts a medical school, post your suggestions for great local eateries, watering holes and cultural centers. No one knows better than the locals. If possible, please bold the location about which you're commenting.

(This can also be a great icebreaker with a fellow interviewee. "Hey, I know this great place. Are you interested...?")

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia, Missouri: Shakespeare's Pizza, The Blue Note (music venue, gets some good acts), The Piano Bar on Broadway, Rag-Tag Cinema (watch an indie flick on their plush couches while drinking a fine beer)

Cincinnati, Ohio: Hofbrauhaus, Bogart's (music venue right by UC; it's a dive but it's cool)

For the venues, you can check for shows on their websites. Maybe someone good will be there while you're in town. Shows at these venues are never too expensive.

not a bad idea..

Boston has a lot of nice places.. be sure to check out these spots: The North End (Mike's Pastries), Harvard Square, Copley, Newbury Street (Shopping), Landsdowne Street (Bars & Clubs), Fanueil Hall (Restaurants and more Bars).

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicago: Heaven on Seven (cajun food): about a 20-30 minute walk from Feinberg

UConn: First and Last Tavern of Hartford: Best pizza in the state.

For those heading to Tallahassee for FSU, below are some great places to eat and drink:

GREAT Cuban food: Gordo's
GREAT any-food: Kool Beans, the Main Ingredient
Sushi: Jasmine's (the hurricane roll especially)
Local pub: Finnegan's Wake (upscale), Waterworks (midrange, makes great eggplant sandwiches too), or Leon Pub (very not upscale...but a ton of beer on tap, darts and pinball)

If you're in town for a couple of days, take a drive down to St. Marks Wildlife Refuge (about 40 min one way) or the coast (about an hour).

If you're in town for a night, check out FSU's arts scene to see if anything's playing FSU Ticket Office or if you're lucky enough, for some football Game Schedule

Robizzle said:
not a bad idea..

Boston has a lot of nice places.. be sure to check out these spots: The North End (Mike's Pastries), Harvard Square, Copley, Newbury Street (Shopping), Landsdowne Street (Bars & Clubs), Fanueil Hall (Restaurants and more Bars).

Mike's Pastries!! I :love: :love: that place.

In Milwaukee, Prime Quarter if you want a good dinner and are going with other people. It's a make your own steak place and so it's a good way to break the ice.

Otherwise, if you want a more college town feel, I love Pizza Shuttle.

Nashville: For food, you've got stuff on 21st Ave. and West End close to Vandy. There's a Chili's, Logan's, and Qdoba (good TexMex) on West End. There's also a place for wings and a meat and three called Rotiers. On 21st, there's San Antonio Taco Co., Wendy's, Subway, and a ton of stuff. I would suggest just walking around 21st - you'll be able to find something. There's also a lot of stuff farther down around Hillsboro Village that's more local. In the student center, there's also the pub which is decent.

If you're looking for entertainment, there's definitely a lot of music. Some local clubs nearby are The End and the Exit/In over on Elliston. You can find some pretty good (even major) bands playing most nights. You can also go downtown on Broadway and Second Ave. for most of the nightlife. Plenty of country music and clubs. There's also Titans games if you happen to be there on a Sunday, but you'd have to get tickets in advance - if you just really want to go.

If you want the full UVa (Charlottesville, VA) experience, be sure to hit up Take-It-Away on The Corner (right across from the med school!) Make sure to pop your collar or you won't get served :p Kidding, of course. Great sandwiches and stuff, but if you want something less Southern-prep, go with Little John's around the corner, or Mellow Mushroom Pizza and Jimmy John's Subs a few blocks down. :cool:

Gainesville, FL (UF): Check out the night scene at the Swamp Restaurant across from the stadium. Pretty good food as well. Other bars are alright on University as well. Not really any great landmarks unless you classify good looking girls as monuments.

To make this thread easier to skim through, please bold the location about which you're commenting from this point on. Everyone is from somewhere, so let's hear your suggestions for local hot spots!

CavalierMD said:
If you want the full UVa experience, be sure to hit up Take-It-Away on The Corner (right across from the med school!) Make sure to pop your collar or you won't get served :p Kidding, of course. Great sandwiches and stuff, but if you want something less Southern-prep, go with Little John's around the corner, or Mellow Mushroom Pizza and Jimmy John's Subs a few blocks down. :cool:

mmmm..... Mellow Mushroom

CHARLOTTESVILLE VA: (sorry for some reason my screen won't let me bold)

The corner is great and walkable, but for something a little more cuisinee drive down Main street away from the corner (if you're coming from the hospital, you make a R on main instead of a L) and go to the main street market area, which is about a mile down on the R. It's a low purple building with a couple of good places...

Ciboulette: a gourmet wine/cheese/food shop run by an actual Parisian dude. He's a cranky Parisian dude, but he makes good sandwiches.

Feast: another gourmet shop, interesting salads, soup, sampler platters of prosciutto and other yummy meats.

Milano: authentic Italian espresso and delicious gelato.

If you can find someone to go with you to the downtown mall, check out Christian's pizza (stone oven pizza) or for some good cuban try Mono Loco.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baltimore, MD (for those interviewing at Johns Hopkins and University of Maryland): Pretty much any place in the Inner Harbor or three areas surrounding it (called Fells Point, Canton and Federal Hill) is a good time, but I recommend the Power Plant in the Inner Harbor if you want a lot of college-type fun at an easy place to find (not quite fraternity-level but it's pretty close; great for singles below the age of 25), the Wharf Rat in Fells Point for a chill, laid back place with good beer and food, Canton Square for a collection of bars and food and the area around the Broadway Market for more bars and food. While another area called Mount Vernon isn't quite downtown, it is only a few minutes away and also has good places, but they are more sparsely located and on the cultured and somewhat pretentious side (with slightly higher prices). Good times all around; friendly people and reasonable prices.

Just don't cause too much trouble, because the cops tend to arrest first and ask questions later.

DoctorPardi said:
Can we make this a list thread? Where you add a school and the surrounding interesting locations?

Yeah, I plan to start compiling things when we get a few more responses.

DoctorPardi said:
Are you going to compile according to city or name of school?

I plan on compiling by city, but if most prefer it to be compiled by school, I'll do that instead.

Looque said:
I plan on compiling by city, but if most prefer it to be compiled by school, I'll do that instead.

City and schools are usually two inseparable things. No point in including Johns Hopkins for Baltimore and not including University of Maryland, for instance.

defrunner said:
City and schools are usually two inseparable things. No point in including Johns Hopkins for Baltimore and not including University of Maryland, for instance.

Yeah I would go city.

NYMC - White Plains NY

First off, there's not much going on in Valhalla to go to so my suggestion is to go to White Plains, a city which is about 10 min away from NYMC (you can take the bus (Westchester Bee-Line Busses which stop on the NYMC campus) if you like).

Bars: All in a row on Mammaroneck Ave: Black Bear, Lazyboy Saloon, James Joyce
Food: Anything you could want to eat is on Mammaroneck Ave
Entertainment: Movies: City Center 15 on (you guessed it) Mammaroneck Ave, Bowling: White Plains Bowl on Tarrytown Rd
Shopping: The Westchester Mall, The Galleria

AMC - Albany NY

Albany can be a lot of fun if you know where to go.

Bars: My personal favorites: Bayou Cafe, Jillian's on North Pearl St.
UAlbany Bars: Washington Tavern (WTs) - Western Ave close to AMC, The Lamp Post - Corner of Quail and Western
Close to AMC: The Lionheart and The Lark Tavern on Madison Ave

Food: The Albany Pump Station, Jillian's, numerous eateries on North Pearl St. and Bombers Burritos (close to AMC and it doubles as a margarita bar)

Entertainment: Movies: Regal Cinemas at the Crossgates Mall
Dance Clubs: Jillian's, Sneaky Pete's.

Ann Arbor, Michigan (UMich): Interviews here are all on Friday's so no excuse not to check out some local points of interest. If you want food, go to:

Big Ten Burrito: Massive steak/chicken/veggie burritos. Great food and really cheap. Open late-they'll actually have a line of people outside at 3am. $3-$5. 15 min walk from the med center

Red Hot Lovers: real chicago-style hot dogs, burgers, GREAT waffle fries with chili and cheese, etc. $3-$8. 10 min walk.

Good Time Charley's: local campus bar- good burgers/other food. $6-$12. 10 min walk. Same goes for: The Brown Jug, the Arena, and about 10 others but that should keep you occupied for a night.

Blimpie Burger: Great greasy food- tastes amazing and you can get anything you want on a burger from eggs to blue cheese or whatever else you think tastes good. Their motto is "cheaper than food" but it still runs between $5-$8. 15 min walk.

Zingerman's Deli: It's pretty famous around here, so if you feel like getting a $11-$14 deli sandwich check it out. I tried it once and it's good, but it's really expensive. 10 min walk.

Angelo's: Really close to the hospital- great food and famous breakfasts. $6-$10. <5 min walk.

NYPD (New York Pizza Depot): Great pizza and pasta and other stuff too. $3-$7. 10 min walk

There you go- check these places out. Most people you run into (once you're on campus at least) should know where these places are, so just ask. It'll be a lot easier than trying to find them based on their street address. If you're around on a football weekend and you're in town on saturday, walk down toward the football stadium and see how packed the streets are. It'll be pretty neat for people from smaller schools. If you have any other questions or are looking for anything else PM me. Oh yeah, good luck with the interview too btw.

See post #8 for Nashville. If you snag a Monday interview though, head about a mile downtown on West End for $2.50 pint night at the Flying Saucer. Laid back atmosphere and plenty of ales to either A) drown your interview sorrows or B) toast your success.

People have been so kind to provide suggestions for good local hot spots for the following cities that play host to medical schools. If you'll be visiting these cities for interviews, click the links to go to the original postings of the information and get an insider's perspective. Where numbers exist after the city name, multiple users have submitted suggestions.

"Hey, I know this great place in..."
Albany [2] [3], New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston [2], Massachusetts
Buffalo, New York
Charlottesville [2], Virginia
Chicago [2] [3] [4] [5], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Los Angeles, California
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh [2], Pennsylvania
Portland, Oregon
San Francisco [2] [3], California
Tallahassee, Florida
Tampa Bay, Florida
Valhalla, New York

I'll be happy to keep this list updated periodically. Keep the suggestions coming, and I will incorporate them into the list.

Dr Durden said:
See post #8 for Nashville. If you snag a Monday interview though, head about a mile downtown on West End for $2.50 pint night at the Flying Saucer. Laid back atmosphere and plenty of ales to either A) drown your interview sorrows or B) toast your success.
Wow, how could I forget Flying Saucer?! Thanks so much for adding that. If any of you guys end up going to Vandy, you should try for a plate. It may end up costing a lot, but you'll be famous! :laugh:

This is a great thread, guys. Good thinking. Now all I have to do is actually get the interview... ;)

bretticus said:
This is a great thread, guys. Good thinking. Now all I have to do is actually get the interview... ;)

Yeah, I'm really hoping that more people start posting their suggestions. I'd really like to get some more cities up there so I don't wind up sitting in a hotel room bored out of my mind after the interviews I hopefully will get.

For Durham/Duke:

Satisfaction's has their big beer night on thursday's: $3/4 for 32 ozs. of yuengling and others. in Brightleaf Square.

Durham redid a part of their downtown the past couple of years which is nice now. Turned the old tobacco factories into restaurants/bars and made it a decent area to go to finally. glad they did it before i graduated so we could enjoy the city a little.

Tyler's Taproom: about 100 different beers on tap from across america, definitely a favorite of ours, plus good food. it's pretty nice and right next to the Durham Bulls stadium if they're still playing.

Mellow Mushroom: Same area as Tyler's

Charlie's: Happy hour is on Tuesday night. it's right on 9th st.

9th st.: several places to eat, most importantly, Cosmic Cantina :thumbup:

Shooters for a club atmosphere on thursday/saturday night.

Mt. Fuji for sushi. half price on thursday nights. right next to Satisfaction's

chapel hill is much more entertaining, but durham is trying now at least.

Chicago, Illinois: For Pizza, there is a new GINO'S EAST just ONE BLOCK from FEINBERG!

Bars: Oh boy. Depends on what you like. Timothy O'Tooles, not far from NU, is a locals kinda bar and a lot of the kids who go to Feinberg can be found in there. It is an irish pub, near a Chipotle and a Potbelly so you can eat first and then go party. They also have pool.

jackieMD2007 said:
Chicago, Illinois: For Pizza, there is a new GINO'S EAST just ONE BLOCK from FEINBERG!

Bars: Oh boy. Depends on what you like. Timothy O'Tooles, not far from NU, is a locals kinda bar and a lot of the kids who go to Feinberg can be found in there. It is an irish pub, near a Chipotle and a Potbelly so you can eat first and then go party. They also have pool.

Ahh, there ya go. Thank you for making this world a better place. :thumbup:

Looque said:
Ahh, there ya go. Thank you for making this world a better place. :thumbup:

I didn't mean to not, I just haven't been on SDN for very long, all weekend. :D

I second the vote for Shakespeare's in Columbia. I worked at University of Missouri for 3 months and I think I ate there at least once every other day and never tired of the pizza. Actually I would drive the 4 hrs just for a pizza- it's that good.

SAN FRANCISCO

Nearby UCSF - Yellow Submarine(sandwiches), Gordo(Mexican), Marnee Thai
Tikka Masala(Indian), Arizmendi, Pluto's, Cha cha cha in the Haight

Hangout spots: Haight

Albany, NY / AMC

I'll add:

for food:

A Taste of Greece (on Lark Street, close to Bombers)
Shalimar (Indian food; Central Ave, near the intersection with Lark)

for drinks:
Mahar's -- huge international beer selection

People have been so kind to provide suggestions for good local hot spots for the following cities that play host to medical schools. If you'll be visiting these cities for interviews, click the links to go to the original postings of the information and get an insider's perspective. Where numbers exist after the city name, multiple users have submitted suggestions.

Albany [2] [3] , New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston, Massachusetts
Buffalo, New York
Chicago [2], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia, Missouri
Durham, North Carolina
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Houston [2], Texas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
San Francisco [2], California
Tallahassee, Florida
Valhalla, New York

I'll be happy to keep this list updated periodically. Keep the suggestions coming, and I will incorporate them into the list.

defrunner said:
Baltimore, MD (for those interviewing at Johns Hopkins and University of Maryland): Pretty much any place in the Inner Harbor or three areas surrounding it (called Fells Point, Canton and Federal Hill) is a good time, but I recommend the Power Plant in the Inner Harbor if you want a lot of college-type fun at an easy place to find (not quite fraternity-level but it's pretty close; great for singles below the age of 25), the Wharf Rat in Fells Point for a chill, laid back place with good beer and food, Canton Square for a collection of bars and food and the area around the Broadway Market for more bars and food. While another area called Mount Vernon isn't quite downtown, it is only a few minutes away and also has good places, but they are more sparsely located and on the cultured and somewhat pretentious side (with slightly higher prices). Good times all around; friendly people and reasonable prices.

Just don't cause too much trouble, because the cops tend to arrest first and ask questions later.

I'll vouch for most of that, but don't go to Baja Beach Club in Power Plant unless you want to hang out with a bunch of barely legals (okay...maybe you do want to do that) I've always heard great things about Fells Point, and the Inner Harbor has tons of fun stuff to check out if you've never been to the area

Houston

For Baylor / UT Houston

try:

food:
Chuy's (Mexican; on Westheimer, not exactly the closest to the Medical Center)
Chapultepec (Mexican; on Richmond, a bit closer)
Shiva (Indian; on Times in Rice Village)
Mi Luna (Spanish/tapas; on University in Rice Village)

drinks:
we have a Flying Saucer, too! (downtown)

San Francisco, UCSF

Raja Cuisine of India: 500 Haight St. some of the best indian food in the city
Marrakech Morrocan Restaurant: 419 O'Farrell St great moroccan food with belly dancing entertainment nightly and hookah after 10 :)
Little Star Pizza: 846 Divisadero St great pizza... happy hour :)

some great bars/clubs:
Mr. Smith's: 34 Seventh St
Duplex: 1525 Mission St if you like house music... open til 3 or 4 :)
Suite181: 181 Eddy St. my personal favorite.. also open til 4am
Holy Cow: 1535 Folsom St no cover charge!

the clubs may require guest list so might as well get on if it you think you *may* go..

MasterMD said:
San Francisco, UCSF

Raja Cuisine of India: 500 Haight St. some of the best indian food in the city
Marrakech Morrocan Restaurant: 419 O'Farrell St great moroccan food with belly dancing entertainment nightly and hookah after 10 :)
Little Star Pizza: 846 Divisadero St great pizza... happy hour :)

That Moroccan place sounds like it'd be a good time.

As for DC (GW and GT) def check out Adams Morgan for night life, Georgetown for shopping, and you can never go wrong with all the free smithsonian's on the mall. Tons of fabulous stuff to do here. And of course check out the baby panda at the National Zoo (its free too!)

Looque said:
That Moroccan place sounds like it'd be a good time.

Are you still applying to UCSF, i noticed your mdapp said you decided to take it out?? And if not, why?

joanofarc0907 said:
Are you still applying to UCSF, i noticed your mdapp said you decided to take it out?? And if not, why?

Nah, I'm not applying there. I figured that getting into one of the UCs is hard enough as an out-of-stater, and UCSF would be the hardest of them all. I was personally more interested in UCSD anyway, so I cut UCSF from the list. The money it would take for the application would be better spent elsewhere.

Edit: Bedtime for me. I have the ol' 6:30am start at the hospital in the morning.

Looque said:
Nah, I'm not applying there. I figured that getting into one of the UCs is hard enough as an out-of-stater, and UCSF would be the hardest of them all. I was personally more interested in UCSD anyway, so I cut UCSF from the list. The money it would take for the application would be better spent elsewhere.

UCSD is harder to get into OOS than UCSF from what I remember from the MSAR...thats why I didn't apply to UCSD

Houston

For Baylor / UT Houston

try:

food:
Chuy's (Mexican; on Westheimer, not exactly the closest to the Medical Center)
Chapultepec (Mexican; on Richmond, a bit closer)
Shiva (Indian; on Times in Rice Village)
Mi Luna (Spanish/tapas; on University in Rice Village)
Le Peep (in Rice Village): great breakfast spot on Times
The Breakfast Club: On Fannin (I believe)...great southern breakfast spot. Plus a great place to hear some poetry. It becomes a chill spot at night
TC (Taco Cobana): for those of you who decide to go hit up the clubs and what not...great spot to grub after you leave the club/bar scene
Red Cat Jazz Cafe: In downtown. Great jazz cafe
El Meson: for those of you who want to grub on some good Cuban food (Rice Village on University Blvd.)
Crescent City Beignets shop (on Westheimer...need a car): they make these awesome creole style doughnuts (a New Orleans favorite).
Thai Pepper on Alabama: The best thai food I have ever had.
Papas seafood
Pappasitos
Papadeaux
Amazon Grill on Kirby (south of 59...not far from Rice U and Med Center/Baylor/UTH)
Houston's: on Kirby (just south of 59 close to Amazon grill)
Goode Company's BBQ: on Kirby...some good eat'N there
Goode Company's Seafood: A little off of Kirby...but very close to Houston's
For those of you who like Filipino food: Gold Ribbon on Holcombe Blvd...from the med. center. take main to holcombe and make a left...it is close to the IHOP down there

drinks:
we have a Flying Saucer, too! (downtown)
Sky Bar: Downtown H-town. Place to go if you want to make toasts w/ the upitty crowd.

Rice University Pubs: Both grad and undergrad. The grad pub sells the cheapest alcohol in the city...it is below one of the main lecture halls on campus :laugh: :laugh: , The undergrad pub is in the basement of the student center. Probably will be full or Rice students on a thursday or friday night.

There are a bunch of bars in Rice Village on Morningside I believe...the street right across from the Eddie Bauer store, EB games, an Italian eatery.

Stay AWAY from Fu's Garden in Rice Village (on the corner of University and Kirby)...Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Again for Albany- if you like Sushi, go to Ichiban's (but the one on Western, not Central).

Buffalo- Duff's Chicken Wings! (~1 mi. from the campus, and the best wings ever. Plus, they're actually real wings). As for going out, head downtown to Chippewa, or Niagara Falls, CA.

Looque cuz of u now i have 2 reasons i really wanna go on interviews :D

Gainesville, FL

University of Florida -

Places to see on campus:
*Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field (5th largest stadium in the country, I believe)
*Century Tower and University Auditorium if you are into old gothic structures
*North Lawn, north of the Student Union; can hang out and watch the beautys of FL stroll by in summer threads :D

Places to visit around town:
*Payne's Prairie, south on 13th St. about 5 miles, go at night (no light pollution)
*Hippodrome State Theater, if you're into this kind of stuff
*Phillip's Center for Performing Arts (part of UF campus)
*Florida Museum of Natural History (part of UF campus)
*Harn Museum of Art (part of UF campus)

Restaurants to eat at:
*Mellow Mushroom (on Univ. Ave, east of 13th)
*Swamp Restaurant (on Univ. Ave, directly east of the stadium)
*Ale House Gainesville (Archer Rd. east of 75)
*Sonny's BBQ - The first one! (east on Univ. Ave., go north on Waldo Rd., on Right hand side about 4 miles up)
*Mildred's (on Univ. Ave, west of 34th St. by 2 blocks, south side of Rd.), I hear it's good
*Cafe Risque (down in Micanopy, if you're into this kind of entertainment with your meal...)

Bars to go to:
*Swamp Restaurant (any night of the week) - it was once a professor's house, and then the local student hangout for many years
*Gator City (on Univ. Ave., right north of campus) - formerly the Purple Porpoise
*Balls, Grog House, Salty Dog Saloon (no cover) - all right next to Gator City
**Go to any of the four mentioned above Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat...well, everyday is good
*Market Street - downtown Gville, great music most nights of the week
*Durty Nelly's - Irish pub, good music, local bands, etc.
*8 Seconds - Thurs night, ladies drink free, $1 longnecks for guys, it's the place to be if you're country at heart

*many, many other bars to go to, but I've hit some of the highlights

If you aren't 21 yet, or into drinking, I don't know what you're going to do for four years.... :D (maybe study, I guess)

Try and come on a football game day if you can for your interview...there is nothing like partying at UF for a football game

If you need any specific information or hotel info for your interview, you can contact me directly

Albany [2] [3] , New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston [2], Massachusetts
Buffalo, New York
Chicago [2], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia, Missouri
Durham, North Carolina
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
San Francisco [2], California
Tallahassee, Florida
Valhalla, New York

I'm actually going to bump my own thread because there's no reason why nearly everyone shouldn't have something to contribute. Have you been living in or near a city with a medical school for a while? Yeah? Then tell us what there is to do around there :idea: