"Alright, now what?" (Interview day post-interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honolulu Go to the beach/Waikiki. Plenty of flesh for guys and girls. Just watch out for the fat guys in speedo's.
Bars- Magoo's or Red lion. Located near campus. Also, plenty of bars in Waikiki. Just don't go into one with a rainbow flag, unless that kind of thing floats you're boat.
Food- The Willow's. All you can eat hawaiian style buffet. Doesn't get any better than that.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I'll add some Boston suggestions:

Food:
1) Sol Azteca (awesome authentic Mexican) easy to get to by T (green line, C, St. Mary's stop or easily walkable from Kenmore)

2) Brown Sugar Cafe (Thai) one near Fenway, another down Commonwealth that might be near Harvard.

3) Pad Thai Cafe (okay so I love Thai and this one's cheap too) closer to BU/Tufts, right at Boylston and Mass Ave.

4) If you're out late, check out Little Stevie's Pizza, also at Boylston and Mass Ave. It stays open till 4am, which might not seem like an anomaly if you're from NY, but the entire city of Boston closes down at 2.

Bars:
1) Cactus Club, on Boylston St. (margaritas, scorpion bowls, etc, can eat outside)

2) Cornwall's, in Kenmore Square. Fun place to go to play darts or pool and they also have all these board games in the back that you can play.

3) Toad, in Porter Square, Cambridge. Not near any of the Boston schools, but one of my favorite places...tiny bar that always has free live music.

4) Kings, off Boylston near the Prudential. Bowling/bar. A long wait on the weekends and overpriced, but usually quite fun.

To do:
1) As long as baseball season is still on, you should try to get tix to Fenway...it's like no other ball park. They always save some day of game tickets, so as long as it's not a big series (ie the Yankees are in town or interleague play), I've found that you can get tickets by getting there ~3 hours early and waiting in line (at gate C).

2) I don't know when the Boston schools will start interviewing, but all summer long there are lots of free concerts (Thurs nights at Copley square, other random nights at Gov't Center)...just check a copy of the Metro, the free newspaper.

Chicago

bars: strongly suggest Monk's pub on West Lake st., free roast peanuts, half pound burgers, awesome atmostphere and i swear they have one of the best playlist in town (i think anyways). :thumbup:

restaurants: dang...i don't know where to start.
if you like chinese, Joy yee's, spring world, seven treasure all in chicago chinatown off the redline stop.
Indian food (it's actually pakistani), i'd go with baba's palace on 334 W. Chicago Ave
of course, gota try chicago style deep dish pizza. giordona's my suggestion.
Otherwise, hop on the L (the train) and go to the loop. There are plenty great restaurants with decent price. :laugh:
also, someone suggested seven on heaven early on this thread. it's a great place!

Members don't see this ad :)
People have been so kind to provide suggestions for good local hot spots for the following cities that play host to medical schools. If you'll be visiting these cities for interviews, click the links to go to the original postings of the information and get an insider's perspective. Where numbers exist after the city name, multiple users have submitted suggestions.

"Hey, I know this great place in..."
Albany [2] [3] , New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston [2], Massachusetts
Buffalo, New York
Charlottesville [2], Virginia
Chicago [2] [3], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia, Missouri
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
Pittsburgh [2], Pennsylvania
San Francisco [2] [3], California
Tallahassee, Florida
Valhalla, New York

I'll be happy to keep this list updated periodically. Keep the suggestions coming, and I will incorporate them into the list.

Another good Indian/Pakistani place near UCSF is Naan N Curry, on Irving and 9th (or 7th?).

Dr Durden said:
See post #8 for Nashville. If you snag a Monday interview though, head about a mile downtown on West End for $2.50 pint night at the Flying Saucer. Laid back atmosphere and plenty of ales to either A) drown your interview sorrows or B) toast your success.

dont forget the Flying Saucer in Memphis when interviewing at UT-Memphis, it has pint nite as well on Mondays. Its in an awesome location across from Peabody Place and right by Beale Street, which is a decent few blocks of touristy bars that play on a Memphis as the city of Blues and New Orleans North. Hit up Gus's Fried Chicken for the best fried chicken in the world (its just south of beale st. on front street) or the Rendezvous for some amazing bbq with sassy service.

p.s. skip Graceland unless you love elvis.

I grew up around here but I didn't know how much good food there was in East Lansing, MI until I started working at MSU for the summer with people who like to take reeeaaally long lunch breaks

The MSU Dairy Store-quite possibly the best thing about this former agricultural college, from the medical school just take Service Dr. to Farm Lane to the building with all the signs about cows and ice cream. Not only do they have amazing homemade ice cream and creepy chocolate cheese but during lunch they serve awesome grilled cheese/soup/drink combos really cheap.

MSU students are really into El Azteco which isn't authentic Mexican although everyone will tell you it is. Its still really good food and a fun place to eat that's really close to campus.

Giorgio's is in the bottom of the Habittrail Ramp (you'll know it when you see it) and is funky (in a good way) pizza by the slice.

If you're here on a weekend you should have breakfast at Flats. Its a cool little hole in the wall that serves really good quesadilla-like sandwiches during the week but breakfast is where it really shines.

Emil's is technically in Lansing proper but only 10 minutes down Michigan Ave from campus and pretty amazing and cheap Italian food. They have all-you-can-eat something pretty much every night.

The Temple Club in downtown Lansing is really the place to go to see a band. Some other bars are Harpers (half off everything on Weds), the Post, The Riv, and Maggy's (that one's a little far from campus but insanely popular).

quantummechanic said:
dont forget the Flying Saucer in Memphis when interviewing at UT-Memphis, it has pint nite as well on Mondays. Its in an awesome location across from Peabody Place and right by Beale Street, which is a decent few blocks of touristy bars that play on a Memphis as the city of Blues and New Orleans North. Hit up Gus's Fried Chicken for the best fried chicken in the world (its just south of beale st. on front street) or the Rendezvous for some amazing bbq with sassy service.

p.s. skip Graceland unless you love elvis.

platinum, dude.

Pittsburgh: I'll try to keep all of these (relatively) close to the med school. The school is at the top of a hill and is surrounded by hospitals, the gym/pavilion, and other administrative buildings. These places are all down the hill.

Pamela's- Absolutely amazing breakfast food. About 4 blocks down the hill from the med school on Forbes Avenue. I recommend the chocolate-chip banana pancakes, crepe-style.

Joe Mama's- Tasty Italian place about a block from Pamela's, also on Forbes. Good for lunch; they have good salads, sandwiches, and pasta.

Hemingway's- Bar that is right next to the Pitt campus, also located on Forbes, though a few blocks closer to the Cathedral of Learning than Pam's and Joe's. Surprisingly tasty bar food. Half-price night after 10 PM and $1 Blue Moon all-day Wednesday.

Lulu's- Pan-Asian diner located on Craig Street, about a 10 minute walk from the heart of Pitt's campus. Excellent cuisine all around and very affordable.

Bruegger's- Bagel chain. I think I eat here 6 days a week. Fresh bagels and good sandwiches as well. Friendly service.

Pittsburgh:

The O. famous fries, dogs, and 40s. don't be afraid to go in. it's delicious.

Primanti Brothers
creators of the famous coleslaw/frenchfry topped sandwich

Both of those are on Forbes in Oakland

As for bars: three punk rock classics would be Gooski's in Polish Hill, Bloomfield Bridge Tavern in Bloomfield, and the 31st Street Pub. if you're lucky, my sister's band Mothra will be playing :thumbup:

If you're there for the weekend check out the Strip disctrict Saturday morning/afternoon. Lots of kool stuff. And stop by my place for badminton. I live near the Zoo.

Mmmm... Pittsburgh.

People have been so kind to provide suggestions for good local hot spots for the following cities that play host to medical schools. If you'll be visiting these cities for interviews, click the links to go to the original postings of the information and get an insider's perspective. Where numbers exist after the city name, multiple users have submitted suggestions.

Albany [2] [3], New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Buffalo, New York
Chicago [2] [3] [4], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Los Angeles, California
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
Tallahassee, Florida
Valhalla, New York

I'll be happy to keep this list updated periodically. Keep the suggestions coming, and I will incorporate them into the list.

Some places to eat in Madison, WI.

Closer to the med school/hospital:

Lu Lu's: great Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food. The best baba ghanoush I have ever had. Average prices.

Lombardino's : Yummy Italian place. On the pricier side.

On the main campus:

Memorial Union: Especially if you are there in temperate weather, eating at the Union should be a must. Get your (admittedly average) food at Der Rathskeller and take it outside to eat on the Terrace overlooking Lake Mendota.

State Street (runs from main campus to the Capitol):

Even if you don't eat there, you should go there just to experience the vibe. In my opinion, if you like State Street, you'll like living in Madison. If you don't, you most probably won't.

There are approximately 3 billion restaurants on State Street (ok, I exaggerate slightly). In addition to chains (McD, Starbucks, Einstein's, Charley's, Taco Bell), you can also find everything from Russian dumplings to upscalish Mexican to African food. There are also plenty of small food carts out on Library Mall between campus and State Street. I'll just list two of my favorites:

Himal Chuli/Chautara: Sister restaurants serving Nepalese food. Very nice vegetarian options, good meat based dishes, too. Himal Chuli is the more hard-core, more casual place, while Chautara is slightly more upscale and a little more of a gentle introduction to the food.

Mediterranean Cafe: Decent Mediterranean food at a spectacularly low price.

By the Capitol:

The Great Dane: Awesome brew pub with pretty good food, too. Their beer is worth the trip over there IMHO. Parking structure right next door.

There are certainly a lot more places to eat in this town, but that's all I've got for right now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ADeadLois said:
UConn: First and Last Tavern of Hartford: Best pizza in the state.

Ahh you are confused. Pepe's of New Haven is better, as is Vegas Boulevard on Sisson Avenue in Hartford, and Harry's Pizza on Farmington Ave in West Hartford Center.

VPDcurt said:
Ahh you are confused. Pepe's of New Haven is better, as is Vegas Boulevard on Sisson Avenue in Hartford, and Harry's Pizza on Farmington Ave in West Hartford Center.

Would you like to make any other recommendations for New Haven?

Looque said:
Would you like to make any other recommendations for New Haven?

I don't know any other places! I was born and raised in Hartford - First and Last does not make the best pizza in the state! Unfortunately I don't know of any in New Haven.

As far as Richmond goes, I would recommend Mama Zu's for Italian, Baker's Crust for amazing sandwiches and other entrees for a good lunch or a lighter dinner, and the Byrd theater for a relatively recent movie at a ridiculously low price in an amazingly old and cool theater.

Philadelphia

I can't believe noone has listed anywhere in Philly yet!

You have to visit South Street, take a stroll up the B Frank Parkway towards the art museum, go shopping on Walnut between Broad up to 18th, visit Rittenhouse Square (Walnut/18th: first Anthropologie is at that corner!), look at the beautiful buildings and LOVE park around City Hall, and look at the fountain at Logan Square.

Food:
Continental- loungey and fun, amazing lobster mashed potatoes and salads. one in Olde City (2nd and Market) and one Midtown (18th and Chestnut)
Anjou- sushi. Olde City
Lorenzo's- best pizza ever. South Street
Tangerine- mediterranean. Olde City
Pat's or Geno's- Philly's own cheese steak. South Philly (I guarantee its not like a "Philly" cheese steak you've ever had outside of Philly
New Deck Tavern- pub food. University City
Pod- asian. University City

Drink:
Olde City has a ton of bars/lounges: Bleu Martini, Swanky Bubbles, 32 degrees, Suede, Mad River, Moda, 125 for afterhours
Rittenhouse: Denim is a loungey club, Tragos, the Mansion for afterhours
University City (UPenn): Sansom St (between 34thand 36th) has some bars- New Dec Tavern, MadMex (has over 20 beers on tap and a ton of obscure bottles and does a decent happy hour)

Chicago
Just got back from vacation there. Check out Lincoln Park. Its about a $7 cab ride from Northwestern. Theres a place called Minnies on Halstead and something that starts with an A (maybe Addison?) that has mini everything- burgers, BLTs, tuna melts, BEERS! I loved it there! And check out the Apartment, its above the Lions Head Pub and gets pretty crowded. Also (downtown) Rush and Division have a lot of bars. Michigan Ave- the Magnificent Mile has AMAZING shopping. Go north on Michigan Ave and visit the Hancock building. The Signature Room has food and the Signature Lounge has drinks 95 floors up- beautiful views of the city and the lake. Best time to go is just before sunset so you can take advantage of both day and night views.

Great thread idea, Looque. Bump.

I'm from Lawrence so I can't really add to this. I had a girlfriend from Columbia, MO and I demanded that we always go to: the blue note, shakespeare's, and Booche's -- shame on you for leaving out booche's (fantastic little burgers for those who aren't familiar).

VPDcurt said:

One man's opinion.

Los Angeles:
Para comer:
El Toritos (yummy)
Lawry's (that's if you have some $$$$)
Houston's in Century City of Manhattan Beach
Island's (all over the city)...closes one to UCLA is on pico
Several different Asian eateries.....yum yum
Koreatown: near downtown LA (Wishire District area)...the largest K-town in the US...plenty of amazing eateries.
(old) chinatown: downtown L.A....nice...home of the Triads (the US division I mean)... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...cool places to eat and shop
(new) chinatown: most cities east of downtown LA, especially alhambra, altadena, pasadena, no triads here... :laugh: :laugh: , very nice places to eat (you need a car though).
Little Tokyo: off of 3rd (or 1st) street past downtown la. Nice places to eat like Shabu Shabu (very expensive) and cheap little buffet places
Restaurant Row: very expensive places to eat along La Cienega Blvd. in Beverly Hills (that's where Lawry's Prime Rib is....amazing food)

Trendy Restaurants: Best place to go is Melrose and the Sunset Strip...this is where the "hip" crowds go...you'll see all the celebs. You'd be paying more for the opportunity to "possibly" see a celeb (who cares...in my opinion) than you would be paying for the food.

Ca staple eateries: Marie Calendar's (great pies)...very traditional restaurant...one notch up from a traditional diner., IN AND OUT BURGER: THE BEST FRESH BURGERS...there is one right by LAX. As a matter of fact, when you drive out of the Airport onto Sepulveda you will surely smell them...but it is not a gross McDonald's smell. FATBURGER: another great hamburger stand...huge burgers...great tasting (there is one right off of UCLA's campus and one in Marina Del Rey). APPLE PAN: great little burger place on Pico Blvd next to the Westside Pavillion Mall...very close to Century City and UCLA.

Bars: All over the city.
All trendy places are in Hollywood, Century City, on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, Melrose, Wilshire, Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach (you'll find a much more laid back crowd here)

Places to visit:
1. Beach Cities: Santa Monica (cool little promenade there), Venice Beach (if you want to see crazy people then you should definitely check this place out, Manhattan Beach: in addition to the beach here you will find a quaint little town hidden away from the main streets like PCH and Sepulveda..places to shop here...very quaint and relaxing, Hermosa Beach: same as Manhattan Beach

2. J. Paul Getty Museum: Pretty cool museum that sits up in the foothills (beautiful view)
65_getty_museum_research_building.jpg

3. the Hollywood bar/club scene...Sunset Strip gets packed sometimes
4. Marina Del Rey: beach town right next to venice beach

5. plenty of other things.

Necessities:
1. A CAR...unless you want to spend hours on buses that make 50 million different stops on the way to your destination

2. a windbreaker for if you decide to go NEAR the beach in the evening...it gets windy (kinda nice on nasty hot days)

I know people know more about LA...add to this list

About Philadelphia: OVERRATED... :laugh: :laugh: ...no really it is a cool city...I'm here now

Albany [2] [3], New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Buffalo, New York
Chicago [2] [3] [4] [5], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Los Angeles, California
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
Portland, Oregon
Tallahassee, Florida
Valhalla, New York

ltrain said:
1) As long as baseball season is still on, you should try to get tix to Fenway...it's like no other ball park. They always save some day of game tickets, so as long as it's not a big series (ie the Yankees are in town or interleague play), I've found that you can get tickets by getting there ~3 hours early and waiting in line (at gate C).

I would limit this suggestion to baseball fans only. I think it's the best baseball stadium in the country for pure baseball atmosphere. However, people who could care less about baseball might not like the experience. Tickets are very expensive (most expensive ballpark in the league) and the seats are uncomfortable and cramped. The new ownership has made some nice renovations, but I've gone to Fenway with non-baseball fans who did not have a very good time.

One more for Chicago...the comedy club IO (formerly Improv Olympic). It's in Wrigleyville a few blocks south of Wrigley field. It's every bit as good as Second City, if not better. IO has more of a local feell; Second City can get very touristy. I don't remember how much it costs, but it's not more than $20 and there are two bars.

This thread is awesome!

I can make some recommendations for Portland Oregon. If you interview there, you will see that there is no shortage of good food, drinks or outdoor recreation. The medical school is a little isolated (on top of a big hill) from the rest of the city though, so if you are going to be there for a while you should check out NW 23rd neighborhood (aka the alphabet district). This area is rather trendy, but fun for visitors:
http://portland.citysearch.com/roundup/37187

Also SE Hawthorne/Belmont neighborhood.... a little more down to earth and caters more to students. I bet a lot of med students choose to live in this part of town:
http://www.goamericanwest.com/oregon/portland/hawthorne.shtml

Bumping this thread, because there are a still a lot of places not covered where I'm sure people live.

Albany [2] [3], New York
Ann Arbor [2], Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Buffalo, New York
Champaign, Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Detroit, Michigan
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Los Angeles [2], California
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
Portland, Oregon
Tallahassee [2], Florida
Tampa Bay, Florida
Valhalla, New York

For those interviewing at USF in Tampa, FL:

For dinner: Lai Thai on Fletcher just east of 15th and west of Bruce B. Downs (in suitcase city, not the safest) has excellent thai (their sign says 'Elegant Dining,' :D ). Everything else that is reasonably good is on Fowler between Bruce B. Downs and 275 (Bull Ring, Chili's, Tia's, Friday's) or about 10 miles North in New Tampa (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Moe's)

For lunch I would recommend a few places in the Kash N' Karry plaza at Bruce B. Downs and Fowler: Jason's Deli, Tijuana Flats, Firstwatch (and they're building a Chipotle here).

Drinking (quick turnover rate here, though. might have different names/ownership by interview season): Bull Ring, U.A. Hangout, peabody's (pool).

LA:

Restaurants:

La Bruschetta - on Westwood Boulevard south of Wilshire, a small italian place but delicious food, great service. Got to know the owner while we were there & he's a doll.
C&O's Trattoria - like a Buca di Beppo, family style italian, great/different restaurant experience
UCLA Article About C&Os
Buca di Beppo - speaking of Buca, I really enjoy this place, too. It is a chain, but it's different. And, yes, Italian
Buca California Locations
Melting Pot - there's one in Irvine & Thousand Oaks (?). Also all over the US. Again, fun dining experience.
Melting Pot CA Locations
Pink's Hot Dogs - No, seriously, you can't come to LA and not go here. Yes, sure, the waits can be up to or over an hour, but get in line with a bunch of your friends on a Saturday night at 1 or 2 AM - by the time you get your grubby hands on one of their hot dogs, you'll be mighty happy!
Pinks

To Dos:

Getty
Getty
Huntington Gardens (yes, they are gardens, tea house & library - sounds lame, but was fun)
Huntington
Shopping: Rodeo, Beverly Center, Santa Monica, Melrose, the Grove, and more
Premieres - happen at the 2 theatres near UCLA among other places, they set up & you can see celebs (a few of my friends even made it into after-parties for the premieres)
Comedy Clubs - Groundlings, Laugh Factory
Groundlings
Laugh Factory
Sunset Strip - Clubs & Bars like Saddle Ranch
Saddle Ranch
Studio tours and tapings - I forget the websites, but it was great to see an episode of Friends being taped and Will & Grace - do it if you get the chance :)
Other - of course, Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc.

St. Louis, MO food/bar suggestions?

Detroit / Wayne State

ANYWHERE in Greektown. just pick a place. you can't go wrong for delicious chicago style pizza

ann arbor Pizza House. About a block from the Union and the Law School. Best pizza in town by far.

Detroit / Wayne State

ANYWHERE in Greektown. just pick a place. you can't go wrong for delicious chicago style pizza

ann arbor Pizza House. About a block from the Union and the Law School. Best pizza in town by far.

Second for Pizza House. For a good beer though, head to Ashley's, North on State Street. Over 67 beers on tap.

Question: Anyone know of a good place to go for dinner in Atlanta, near Emory? I'm actually looking for a good place where I could perhaps meet my parents (who randomly are going to be in ATL when I'm there). I like most types of food (gourmet or more of the soul-variety), good beer, and good wine.

Champaign, IL University of Illinois

Restaurant: If you like Italian, this is a no brainer. Papa Del's on Green Street and 3rd'ish.

Bars: SOO many, most are pretty bad. I DONT recommend Kams (but if you like VDs... this is your place), Station, Murphy's, White Horse. Legends is a good sit-down place. So is Firehaus. Brothers and Joes are good bar/dance clubs. Never been to CO's because of outrageous cover.

..but i figure most won't be interviewing in Champaign...

Where are all the NYC suggestions?!?! I'm sure many of you could list several favorite spots in the big apple (by neighborhood if possible). Thanks in advance!

I've already used people's suggestions a couple times, especially for Pittsburgh. With a little luck, maybe everybody will contribute more recommendations in the near future.

Tallahassee, Fl-- FSU

Pizza-- Three Guys From New York Pizza. On Tennessee Stree nearly on campus.

Steak-- Marie Livingstons. On North Monroe, about 15 min from campus

Bar-B-Que (My fav)-- 1) Sonny's (who can beat it?). Several locations, the closest being on N. Monroe about 10 min from campus.
2) Jamacan Jerk Bar-b-q stand on the corner of W. Tennessee St and Ocala, very close to campus. It is a stand on the corner and is only open on Friday and Saturdays (until 3am), but it is very good (the jerk is really spicy, but you can get regular bar-b-q style as well which is awesome).

Subs-- Po Boys. It is a bar/small resturant and is kind of slow, but a great environment, good subs, and cheap beer.

Bars-- the student bars are AJ's, Pot Belly's, Bullwinkles (recognized in Playboy as one of the best bars in the country), Floyds, and Irish Pub. For a more upscale bar try Finnigans (spelling?) Wake.

Wakulla Springs is near the campus (20 min) and is a great place to go and relax for the day. The beach is only a 30 min drive from town.

Albany [2] [3], New York
Ann Arbor [2] [3], Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Buffalo, New York
Champaign, Illinois
Charlottesville [2] [3], Virginia
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Detroit, Michigan
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
New Haven, Connecticut
Omaha, Nebraska
Pittsburgh [2] [3], Pennsylvania
Portland, Oregon
Tallahassee [2], Florida
Tampa Bay, Florida
Valhalla, New York

Omaha, NE, Creighton or University of Nebraska Medical Center

The Old Market is THE place to go. Quite a few bars, and great restaurants. About a 5 minute drive from Creighton, and 8 from UNMC. All of the following are in the Old Market:

Upsteam Brewing Company - great food, great beer. The menu isn't as large as it could be.

Old Chicago - Chicago style pizza, burgers, other great food. Eclectic beer selection.

Spaghetti Works - Pasta place with a huge salad bar. Really inexpensive for what you get.

Ted and Wallys - Homemade ice cream place. Tons of really awesome and unique flavors.

M's Pub - Somewhat expensive, but a really good dinner atmosphere.

Great suggestions Miles! Here are a few more for Pittsburgh:

Fuel & Fuddle: bar/restaurant/grill located right in Oakland off Forbes Avenue (10-15 min walk from Univ. of Pittsburgh)

The Spaghetti Warehouse:inexpensive Italian restaurant--about a 10minute drive from the University of Pittsburgh (near the Strip district)

Enjoy!

Charlottesville, VA

Take the free trolley to the downtown mall (a pedestrian center) and wander around. I especially recommend the Tea Bazaar and Marco & Luca's (you haven't been to Cville until you've tasted their dumplings). On nice afternoons there are also musicians and artists doing their stuff. If you're there on the first Friday of the month, the local art galleries on the downtown mall will have free exhibitions and wine-and-cheese things in the evenings.

Chicago: Heaven on Seven (cajun food): about a 20-30 minute walk from Feinberg

UConn: First and Last Tavern of Hartford: Best pizza in the state.

You must be from out of state. Best pizza is either Peppy's or Sally's . . . both in New Haven, no quesitons asked.

more Ann Arbor. If you dont want to be swamped with nasty little undergrads, then you can try your luck at the many bars and food joints downtown. Just a few suggestions, but really, there are a TON of places.

Leopold Brothers: a brewery on betweeen Madison and Packard on Main. Local brewery that's amazingly cheap on mondays, tuedsays, and sundays I believe. No Bud here, just stuff brewed on sight.

Arbor Brewing Company. Another good one, but they serve food.

Conor O'Neils. Irish pub on main... hard to miss. Fun atmosphere inside, and was the best place to watch the World Cup matches this summer. Decent, but not huge drink selection, but good specials, and worth a try.

The Arena. Pretty much your prototypical college town sports bar, but has a suprisingly good beer list.

The Hidelberg (sp?). Resturant up top, bar in the basement. very cool german atmosphere.

BUMP! This guy really should be stickied...I spent the last 15 min looking for it (Houston and Thai finally did the trick)!

Well, there's way too many good restaurants in this city to list, but here are my faves. BTW, Touro University is the only med school here in vegas.

Mexican food: Definitely hands down Lindo Michoacan is my first choice. Pink Taco is also good at the hardrock hotel.

Grand Luxe Cafe at the venetian hotel is a great 24 hour joint that is very similar to a cheesecake factory

Tao at the venetian has great asian food, but its pricey.

If you're going to do a buffet, go to the Green valley station casino or the Wynn.

Monks at 16th and Locust: Yummy bar specializing in Belgians but with a 300+ beer list from all over

Good Dog: Another more standard bar at 15th and Locust with the best burgers in Philadelphia

Bob and Barbara's: Drag queen show not to be missed on Thursday nights. Broad and South

Jamaican Jerk Hut: Yummy and casual spicy food. Sit inside for a cheaper menu. Featured in the movie "In Her Shoes."

World Cafe Live: Good place to go when they have free concerts. 31st and Walnut www.worldcafelive.com

Ben Franklin Parkway: Gorgeous area to walk around in with great views. If you have extra time, can also visit the Rodin Museum, Museum of Art, etcetera

Antique Row: Roughly from 8th to 12th Street on Pine. Going East to West, you pass through historic Pennsylvania Hospital and lots of cute cobblestone streets (go a little further Northeast and you've got the Liberty Bell, the Constitution Center, and some of the oldest residential areas in America). Antique row has cute shops for the "eclectically" inclined.

Jim's at 4th and South: Forget the tourist traps in South Philly. Go to the tourist trap on "hip" South Street. Jim's is the best cheesesteak that I've found in Philly. This area of South street also has a lot of shops, bars, and people watching possibilities.

Vietname Cafe: 47th and Baltimore. A bit of a hike, but if you're interviewing at Penn and have time to check out West Philadelphia (it's not scary - just a bit run down in places), definitely check out this awesome Thai place that was started in someone's apartment until the community came together to help these Laoian people open up a restaurant in Philly and get through all the paperwork.

Albany [2] [3], New York
Baltimore, Maryland
Buffalo, New York
Champaign, Illinois
Chicago [2] [3] [4] [5] [6], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Columbus [2], Ohio
Detroit, Michigan
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Las Vegas, Nevada
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
New Haven, Connecticut
Omaha, Nebraska
Philadelphia [2], Pennsylvania
Portland, Oregon
Tallahassee [2], Florida
Tampa Bay, Florida
Valhalla, New York

Last edited:
COLUMBS OH-IO.

Eats on campus:
Italian - Adriaticos (home of the Buckeye Pizza), #1 pizza in Columbus for about a million years and counting. Or, Catfish Biffs ... very garlic-ey and delicious. I also like Hound Dogs ... but some disagree ...

Pesto - Make your own pasta. enjoyable.

Mexican- La Casita Youll have to drive a bit, and possibly speak a lil espanol, but the food is amazing. Alot of med students live in a housing complex close by, so go have a margarita with your future collegues. You might also be eating dog meat ... im not really sure ... but its good nonetheless.

El Vaquero - good margs, and cheesey greazy mexican. nothin better.

LaBamba - Burritos as big as your head, tastes terrible though. Dont go here.

All-American Food: Eddies Grill 27 - good burgers.

Doughnuts (pre interview sugar rush) - Buckeye Doughnuts - open 24 hrs, been there since, well, way before my time. Best long johns youll find anywhere.

Movies:
Arena Grand Theatre - Downtown. Best place to see a movie.

The Gateway - never been there, i hear its good tho.

Bars-
On campus:

Mcfaddens- the new local favorite. good late, and if youre in to loud music and sorority gals.

NotAls Too - "Toos" , you wont find it unless you try reeeeeeeally hard. Heres a hint: its in the basement of a National City Bank. My favorite place to start any hearty friday/saturday of boozing. Friday 5-9- $3 cover, FREE (i said free) wings, dollar beers, 2dollar long islands. Saturday- 7-9p "Power Hour" dollar everything (yes I said everything, shots, bottles, drafts, something for everyone.), unless it has red bull in it, in which case it is 2 dollars.

Mianis - See Mcfaddens ... except not new. Tuesdays this is the place to be. dollar cherry bombs, dollar huge-ass coors L's.

Bier Stube - good place to go if you dont wanna see anyone, like locals, and moreorless just wanna have a beer and relax.

-Note- You'll wanna go downtown if you're into club life. I reccomend the Lodge Bar or Brothers, but thats my taste (ahem ... not exactly refined). If youre into more upscale, but clubby, places, try the sister bars, sugar and spice. Also, the Frog Bear is pretty good.

Now that I'm a Chicago resident, I'm putting in my own two cents for spots worth checking out for post-interview (or, I suppose, pre-interview) entertainment:

General Chicago highlights
The Green Mill - In my opinion, Chicago's finest jazz club, located right off the Lawrence Red Line stop. A more centrally-located alternative would be Andy's.
The Hopleaf - Also up north near The Green Mill, serves some great Belgian beers and Belgian cuisine.
The Map Room - In Bucktown, boasting what I believe is the best beer list in the city.
The Chicago Chop House - For others, it's debatable with places such as Murray's, Lawry's Prime Rib, and Gibson's, but the Chicago Chop House wins my award for best steak in the city, and actually is pretty reasonably priced. Complete with an award-winning wine list.

In Hyde Park, for you Pritzker applicants
Calypso Cafe - A pretty darn good Caribbean restaurant in Harper Court.
The Checkerboard Lounge - A very respectable blues/jazz club, also in Harper Court.
East 55th St - A string of Asian restaurants, if you feel so inclined.
University Market - Go to the back and get one of greatest deli sandwiches you'll ever sink your teeth into, at 1323 E 57th Street

Last edited:
People have been so kind to provide suggestions for good local hot spots for the following cities that play host to medical schools. If you'll be visiting these cities for interviews or revisits, click the links to go to the original postings for the information and get an insider's perspective. Where numbers exist after the city name, multiple users have submitted suggestions.

Albany [2] [3], New York
Baltimore, Maryland
Buffalo, New York
Champaign, Illinois
Chicago [2] [3] [4] [5] [6], Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Columbia [2], Missouri
Columbus [2], Ohio
Detroit, Michigan
Durham, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Gainesville [2], Florida
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston [2], Texas
Johnson City, Tennessee
Las Vegas, Nevada
Madison, Wisconsin
Memphis, Tennessee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nashville [2], Tennessee
New Haven, Connecticut
Omaha, Nebraska
Philadelphia [2], Pennsylvania
Portland, Oregon
Tallahassee [2], Florida
Tampa Bay, Florida
Valhalla, New York

Last edited:
JOHNSON CITY, TENNESSEE. QUILLEN COM.

If there are indeed any out of state people that apply here, these are my suggestions.

Acoustic coffeehouse is pretty popular, a music/food/beer/coffee place.
The Firehouse is a good place to eat.
The Red Pig is a small place, but great barbecue.
Down Home is a place with good bluegrass music. (and if you don't like bluegrass at least a little, why are you applying here, it's all we have).
Amigos is a good place for mexican (monday nights are cheap).
Good beer is hard to come by sometimes, but try some from the local Depot Street Brewery (Amigos definitely has them, or pick some up from the Krogers near the school, or even better, make a trip to jonesborough about 15 minutes away and try some straight from the source. jonesborough is also a cool place to poke around, eat at the Cranberry Thistle.)
Pals is a decent place for a burger, but just a drive through.
Cheddars is a pretty good place to eat, and not really expensive.