KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, if you like bball, there are plenty of opportunities...outside of the regular season games, there is a pre-season/T-giving tourney, the Big 12 Tourney, and the NAIA tournament, as well as a tournament for a D-2 league in the area.

College bball dominates this area.

Members don't see this ad.

Good news. The famine is over! I got my financial aid packet today.

Sweet!! I have been bored for awhile since being accepted so this will add a little excitement in my life. Maybe the rest of us should get ours the end of this week, early next week? Did they give us our email accounts yet?

Members don't see this ad :)

Sweet!! I have been bored for awhile since being accepted so this will add a little excitement in my life. Maybe the rest of us should get ours the end of this week, early next week? Did they give us our email accounts yet?

YES! That was precisely what I was waiting to hear about. I can't wait to get my packet in the mail. :banana:

YES! That was precisely what I was waiting to hear about. I can't wait to get my packet in the mail. :banana:

Long time no post in the KCUMB thread spice. Good to see you back again. Have you heard anything from the admin about those shirts?

I live in KC. So the packets were probably mailed yesterday. Everbody should get them by some time next week.
I have only had time to skim the packet. I didn't see anything about email accounts. Hopefully we'll get something soon.
I'm getting really excited. I drive by our new school everyday to and from work/school. I can't wait until I can pull into the parking lot and head to class. :D

I am not quite sure, as Ms. Jones mentioned something about an auditorium and a hotel downtown. She gave me the impression that the ceremony would be at one location and then maybe a reception at a hotel downtown afterwards? Sorry, she was not very specific - however, we should receive more information regarding the event in June. Hope I was a little bit helpful.:confused:

Yeah, the auditorium is connected to the hotel. It's really nice and is well known because a president used to stay there a lot. I can't remember which one though.

Yeah, the auditorium is connected to the hotel. It's really nice and is well known because a president used to stay there a lot. I can't remember which one though.

The KCUMB auditorium is connected to a hotel? Sorry if I'm completely lost there...just curious about the WCC if thats what you are talking about.

The KCUMB auditorium is connected to a hotel? Sorry if I'm completely lost there...just curious about the WCC if thats what you are talking about.

lol No, the auditorium where they usually have it is connected to a hotel. So once the WCC is over, you just go directly to the hotel for the reception.

We get shirts? Nice...I love free stuff! :)

Hey, Braden, haven't seen you around in awhile. :)

Alas, we aren't getting free t-shirts, to my knowledge. We were tossing an idea around about designing and making a t-shirt that has a logo of the school on the front and the words, "KC Here We KCUMB -- Class of 2011," on the back. Since we were intending to use our school's logo on the t-shirt, we needed to get permission from the school. I emailed the administration about it some time ago. I received a positive initial response from them about it and that they were going to look into it and get back to us. I haven't heard anything else since that time. So, I guess we'll see.

lol No, the auditorium where they usually have it is connected to a hotel. So once the WCC is over, you just go directly to the hotel for the reception.

Thanks for clearing it up, I knew I was off somewhere. :) The new auditorium being constructed looks incredible by the way...

In case you all haven't seen it, Royals pitcher Zach Grienke is representing KC well by throwing fastballs into opponents faces today. Anyone interested in oral surgery? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved my financial aid packet today as well. For those wondering looks like it will be $40,220 for tuition and fees, and $16,038 for living expenses. I think KCUMB forgot to give me a full ride scholarship. ;)

I got my Financial Aid Packet in the mail today and have already filled it out and sent it off. It is just a simple little questionaire nothing way complicated. We have just three months until the wait ends so hope you are all ready.

:beat: I love this little graphic!!

I got my Financial Aid Packet in the mail today and have already filled it out and sent it off. It is just a simple little questionaire nothing way complicated. We have just three months until the wait ends so hope you are all ready.

Wow Jshep, Im a little worried about you. Its one thing to use the "beating a dead horse" graphic when appropriate, but just to post it b/c you "really like" it? Thats a little creepy and morbid (lol) :laugh:

From my brief glance of the paper work, it seems like we are basically picking which lender we want and giving them some more financial info? I guess this packet really isn't our award letter. That will come after we send all of this info back to KCUMB.

I think I saw the match list posted on this forum, but this list is better organized and more clearly shows what specialties and where people got into.
Enjoy.

KCUMB MATCH LIST 2007

ANESTHESIOLOGY (12)

St. Louis University (4)
Loyola University
Ohio State University
Oklahoma State University Tulsa Regional Medical Center
Penn State University Hershey Medical Center
University of Missouri St. Luke’s Medical Center (2)
University of Texas
Vanderbilt University

DERMATOLOGY (1)

Kansas University Medical Center

DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGY (3)

University of Missouri, Kansas City
St. Barnabas Hospital
University of Nebraska

EMERGENCY MEDICINE (29)

St. Joseph’s Medical Center
Freeman Health System (2)
St. Francis’ Medical Center
Oakwood Southshore Hospital
St. James Hospital and Health Center (2)
Metro Health Hospital
Southwest Medical Center (4)
Kennedy Memorial Hospital
Memorial Hospital
Ingham Regional Medical Center
St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center
St. John Oakland Hospital
Henry Ford Health System/Henry Ford Bi-Cnty
St. John West Shore Hospital
Genesys Health System
Pitt County Memorial Hospital
Botsford Health Care
University of Missouri, KC
Midwestern University
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Program at Camden
Metrohealth Medical Center
Lehigh Valley/Muhlenberg
Doctor’s Hospital-Columbus
Earl K. Long Medical Center

FAMILY MEDICINE (38)

Utah Valley Regional Medical Center
Pensacola Naval Hospital
University of Wisconsin SMPH (2)
John Peter Smith Hospital
University of Missouri, KC (2)
Research Medical Center
Kansas University Medical Center (4)
Grant Medical Center
Idaho Family Medicine Residency Program
University of Mississippi
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital
University of Colorado at Denver Health Science Center
Southern Illinois University
Cox Family Medicine (3)
Via Christi Regional Medical Center (4)
Great Plains Medical Foundation
Broadlawns Medical Center
Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital
Obleness Memorial Hospital
Madigan Army Medical Center
Montgomery Family Medicine Program
Florida Hospital East Orlando
Womack Army Community Hospital
Deaconess Hospital
Southern Colorado Program (2)
North Mississippi Medical Center
Truman Lakewood/St Lukes

GENERAL SURGERY (9)

Hospital of St. Raphael
Lutheran Medical Center
Des Peres Hospital
San Diego Naval Medical Center
Affinity Medical Center: Doctors Campus
Marshfield Clinic and St. Joseph’s Hospital Program
Genesys Health Systems
Henry Ford Health System/ Henry Ford Bi-Cnty
Garden City Hospital

INTERNAL MEDICINE (43)

Garden City Hospital
St. Joseph Health Care
Kansas University Medical Center (2)
Medical College of Georgia (2)
University of Mississippi (3)
University of Tennessee
Brooke Army Medical Center (2)
Portsmouth Navy Medical Center
St. Joseph’s Mercy of MACOMB
Indiana University (2)
E.W. Sparrow Hospital
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital
University of Kansas Medical Center: Wichitaw
Pacific Hospital
University of North Texas Health Science Center
Grandview Hospital and Medical Center
Oregon Health Science University
St. John Detroit Riverview
Virginia Commonwealth University
Ingham Regional Medical Center (3)
Keesler AFB Medical Center
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Texas
St. Louis University Hospital
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2)
University of Southern California
Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital
St. John Oakland Hospital
Plaza Medical Center of Fort Worth
University of Nevada

INTERNAL MEDICINE/PEDIATRICS (1)

University of Illinois

INTERNAL MEDICINE/PSYCHIATRY (1)

INTERNAL MEDICINE/EMERGENCY MEDICINE (1)

Wheeling Hospital

NEUROLOGY (4)

Loma Linda University
University of Texas SW Medical School
Thomas Jefferson University
Botsford General Hospital

NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY (1)

OTOLARYNGOLOGY/FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY (2)

Mt. Clemens Regional Medical Center
Affinity Medical Center-Doctors Campus

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY (8)

Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital (2)
Oklahoma State University Tulsa Regional Medical Center
Grandview Hospital and Medical Center (2)
St. Anthony Hospital (2)

OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY (12)

Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital (2)
Akron General Medical Center
SUNY Buffalo
Oregon Health Science University
Abington Memorial Hospital
University of Missouri
St. Luke’s Hospital
University of South Alabama

PEDIATRICS (13)

University of Missouri, Children’s Mercy Hospital (6)
Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center of South Carolina
Pitt County Memorial Hospital of Brody SOM
University of Miami, Miami Children’s Hospital
University of Iowa, Blank Children’s Hospital
University of Tennessee, T.C. Thompson Children’s Hospital

PATHOLOGY (3)

Ball Memorial Hospital of Indiana University
University of Texas SW Medical School

PSYCHIATRY (6)

University of Illinois COM
University of Arkansas: Little Rock (2)
University of Missouri
University of Minnesota Medical School

PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION (4)

University of Missouri: Columbia
Loyola University Hospital
Baylor College of Medicine
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University

PRELIMINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE (3)

University of Missouri, KC (2)
SUNY Upstate Medical University

PRELIMINARY SURGERY (3)

University of Arkansas: Little Rock
Fairview Health System Program
University of Minnesota Medical School

TRADITIONAL ROTATING INTERNSHIP (51)

University of New England
Providence Hospital: Southfield
Oakwood Southshore Hospital (3)
Riverside Methodist Hospital
St. Joseph’s Health Center (2)
Penisula Hospital Center
St. James Hospital and Health Center (2)
Lutheran Medical Center
St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center
Des Peres Hospital
Kennedy Memorial Hospital
Palms West Hospital
Memorial Hospital
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital (4)
Tulsa Regional Medical Center
Grandview Hospital and Medical Center (3)
New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital
Affinity Medical Center-Doctors Campus
University of Missouri
Via Christi Regional Medical Center (2)
Madigan Army Medical Center
Obleness Memorial Hospital
St. John West Shore Hospital
Genesys Health Systems (2)
Metro Health Hospital
Illinois Masonic Medical Center
St. Anthony Hospital (2)
Bay Area Corpus Christi Medical Center
St. Barnabas Hospital
Northside Hospital and Heart Institute
Tripler Army Medical Center
Garden City Hospital
Lehigh/Valley Muhlenberg
Botsford General Hospital

UROLOGY (1)

Metro Health Hospital

Thank you very much! :bow:

:thumbup: As I mentioned before, the class of 07 match is quite impressive. We have big steps to follow, but I think spice and the others would agree we are up to the challenge. :D

Absolutely! :cool:

So, if you're up to the challenge, this is the suggestion my brother gave me: He said that if you have the COMLEX books, read the section that you're covering in classes. So, by going along, and doing the practice questions it helps you on the school tests and later on the COMLEX since you're used to how the questions are presented, etc.

From my brief glance of the paper work, it seems like we are basically picking which lender we want and giving them some more financial info? I guess this packet really isn't our award letter. That will come after we send all of this info back to KCUMB.

Yeah, did you choose to go through KCUMB?

I recieved my financial aid packet today as well. For those wondering looks like it will be $40,220 for tuition and fees, and $16,038 for living expenses. I think KCUMB forgot to give me a full ride scholarship. ;)

Any idea on what the maximum amount is?

So, if you're up to the challenge, this is the suggestion my brother gave me: He said that if you have the COMLEX books, read the section that you're covering in classes. So, by going along, and doing the practice questions it helps you on the school tests and later on the COMLEX since you're used to how the questions are presented, etc.

Thanks for the awesome suggestion. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeah, did you choose to go through KCUMB?

Yes, it seemed easier--less legwork.

Any idea on what the maximum amount is?

Well, according to KCUMB's packet, the COA if you are an off-campus student is $56,258. I think the maximum you can borrow from the federal Stafford program is $40,500. The formula they gave was COA (cost of attendence) minus EFC (expected family contribution, determined by FAFSA) and outside resources (like parents). Thus, if, for example, my EFC was $2000 and my parents were willing to give me $7000, my need-based aid would be $47,258. If I opted to receive the maximum aid available and to getting a GradPlus loan (or some other type of loan), then theoretically, my aid package would be $40,500 from Stafford loans, $8758 in GradPlus loans (or other private loan), and $7000 from my parents, for a total of $56,258.

Yes, it seemed easier--less legwork.

Well, according to KCUMB's packet, the COA if you are an off-campus student is $56,258. I think the maximum you can borrow from the federal Stafford program is $40,500. The formula they gave was COA (cost of attendence) minus EFC (expected family contribution, determined by FAFSA) and outside resources (like parents). Thus, if, for example, my EFC was $2000 and my parents were willing to give me $7000, my need-based aid would be $47,258. If I opted to receive the maximum aid available and to getting a GradPlus loan (or some other type of loan), then theoretically, my aid package would be $40,500 from Stafford loans, $8758 in GradPlus loans (or other private loan), and $7000 from my parents, for a total of $56,258.

Awesome, thanks! I wasn't sure if that amount was the max or just the suggested amount.

I forgot which interview it was, but one of them the financial aid lady answered this question for me. I told her that my EFC was $3000 and I wondered if that meant I would have to put $3000 cash towards my tuition. She said no and that the EFC number is just used as a guideline. So unless your EFC is over the cost of tuition+ living, you are fine. She said that I would be able to get all the loans I would need to cover all the costs.

One more thing, I believe the EFC is used as a basis for need based scholarships/grants.

I'm curious about this: If I were to apply for the maximum loan amount, i.e., all the federal Stafford loans and the Grad Plus loan, and my resultant award letter listed funds awarded from all three loans, would I be able to decline the Grad Plus loan and accept the Staffords? Anybody know?

I'm curious about this: If I were to apply for the maximum loan amount, i.e., all the federal Stafford loans and the Grad Plus loan, and my resultant award letter listed funds awarded from all three loans, would I be able to decline the Grad Plus loan and accept the Staffords? Anybody know?

If you don't need the Grad Plus then I don't see why you would need. Lets say that you would need $7000 from the Grad+ to cover the rest of your expenses. However if you have money saved/or your parents can help out, then you don't need the Grad Plus.

If you don't need the Grad Plus then I don't see why you would need. Lets say that you would need $7000 from the Grad+ to cover the rest of your expenses. However if you have money saved/or your parents can help out, then you don't need the Grad Plus.

Cool. I don't think I will need it, but didn't want to exclude it yet until after I received my award letter, just in case it was necessary. If it turns out I will need it, I'll accept the award, otherwise, I'm glad I don't HAVE to take out the loan if I don't want to. :thumbup:

Where did you get your EFC numbers? Did you get it from FASFA application that we had to fill out? I'm confused b/c my EFC says 00670 C...what does that mean? :confused:

Where did you get your EFC numbers? Did you get it from FASFA application that we had to fill out? I'm confused b/c my EFC says 00670 C...what does that mean? :confused:

My EFC appeared on the upper right hand corner of my SAR (the report they give you to review after your FAFSA has been processed), and it was identified as such. It didn't have any letters in it.

If you guys don't know yet, I believe orientation is 8/6, the WCC is 8/9, and 8/13 marks the first day of classes.

See you guys there!

If you guys don't know yet, I believe orientation is 8/6, the WCC is 8/9, and 8/13 marks the first day of classes.

See you guys there!

Is orientation the whole week of the 6th? I am guessing that it isn't just a one day thing right?

Is orientation the whole week of the 6th? I am guessing that it isn't just a one day thing right?

Yeah, it's all week. There's a community service day and a Family Day where we all have a big "picnic" at Royals stadium and watch a game. I don't know what else they have planned but apparently they give you breakfast and lunch all week. Woohoo! :)

Yeah, it's all week. There's a community service day and a Family Day where we all have a big "picnic" at Royals stadium and watch a game. I don't know what else they have planned but apparently they give you breakfast and lunch all week. Woohoo! :)

:thumbup: Now that is some good news. I love free food.

With the recent financial aid info we got in the mail, did anyone else get selected for verification by the Federal Student Aid program?

If anyone filled out the section where we had to list three relatives/close friends at different addresses, did anyone include their parents even if that is your permanent address?

yup i put my mom down as one of them.

With the recent financial aid info we got in the mail, did anyone else get selected for verification by the Federal Student Aid program?

If anyone filled out the section where we had to list three relatives/close friends at different addresses, did anyone include their parents even if that is your permanent address?

Well, it said relatives or close friends with a different address...I live with my dad so I just put my mom's address. But on local and permanent address, I put the same one on each since *technically* I don't have my apartment yet. I know which one I'll have, but I haven't signed the lease. I just hope that doesn't cause any trouble...

Hello and welcome Class of 2011! I am a 1st year in the class of 2010. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will try to help if at all possible. I'm in the DO/MBA program, so also feel free to ask questions about that as well. This week and next week are finals week, so don't worry if it takes me awhile to respond. Congrats on getting in! :thumbup:

But on local and permanent address, I put the same one on each since *technically* I don't have my apartment yet. I know which one I'll have, but I haven't signed the lease. I just hope that doesn't cause any trouble...

Hmm... Yeah, I did something similar. I don't have a local address yet, so I actually put, "N/A" for the local address section and listed my permanent address only in the corresponding section, since that's where I'm currently living. I also hope that everything goes through okay, without a hitch.

Here's heads up. I got another packet from KCUMB today. It includes the quarterly journal, a letter from Phil Byrne, and a checklist of things that they have not recieved from me yet. The letter says we will be getting a matriculation packet in a couple weeks. Enjoy!

Here's heads up. I got another packet from KCUMB today. It includes the quarterly journal, a letter from Phil Byrne, and a checklist of things that they have not recieved from me yet. The letter says we will be getting a matriculation packet in a couple weeks. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up.

Hey if anyone is looking for a roommate at CT for KCUMB Class of 2011 let me know. I know we will be getting more info about roommates in our matriculation packet which should be out in late May but I would not mind getting a jump on things. Thanks :)

Hmm... Yeah, I did something similar. I don't have a local address yet, so I actually put, "N/A" for the local address section and listed my permanent address only in the corresponding section, since that's where I'm currently living. I also hope that everything goes through okay, without a hitch.

I spoke to Diana in the Financial Aid department today and she said it was not a problem to leave the local address blank. I am closing on my condo in May, but did not want to put the address down until I knew it was mine. ;)

I cannot believe we are roughly 3 months away from starting medical school!!! I am so EXCITED!! :) And I CANNOT wait to MEET EVERYBODY!

Status
Not open for further replies.