KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know exactly what places are options for the 3rd and 4th years? Are there any programs available in TX still? I heard that there might be a program in Dallas.
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm new to the KCUMB SDN forum. If you guys have already discussed this, can you please re-direct me to where I could find this information.

Congrats to everyone that has gotten in!!:)

If you go to the KCUMB website they have a list here: http://www.kcumb.edu/_occe/CoreSites.aspx I haven't looked through the list recently, but I remember seeing one in Dallas.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know exactly what places are options for the 3rd and 4th years? Are there any programs available in TX still? I heard that there might be a program in Dallas.
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm new to the KCUMB SDN forum. If you guys have already discussed this, can you please re-direct me to where I could find this information.

Congrats to everyone that has gotten in!!:)

Texas Jayhawk, Here is the list of affiliated hospitals where KCUMB can do third and fourth year rotations:

http://www.kcumb.edu/_occe/CoreSites.aspx

I see only one official rotation hospital in Texas, but I assume you can do 4th year electives somewhere else in TX.

The KC rotations are done primarily through the HCA Midwest system, as far as I understand. That website can be found here: http://www.hcamidwest.com/

There are some very good rotations opportunities for KCUMB students, IMHO.

The KC rotations are done primarily through the HCA Midwest system, as far as I understand. That website can be found here: http://www.hcamidwest.com/

There are some very good rotations opportunities for KCUMB students, IMHO.

I wonder how good of a training the preceptorships are in the KC area. I have heard that they can be a hit or miss.

On a side note, Pack, do you know what the testing format will be like at KCUMB? I heard that we have some quizzes and then something like two tests per system. Just curious if it is just one big test, or if it is broken into several tests to cover each core subject of the system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how good of a training the preceptorships are in the KC area. I have heard that they can be a hit or miss.

On a side note, Pack, do you know what the testing format will be like at KCUMB? I heard that we have some quizzes and then something like two tests per system. Just curious if it is just one big test, or if it is broken into several tests to cover each core subject of the system.

I honestly don't know, but I'll ask a few KCUMB students that I've been speaking with and report back.

Does anyone know if there is any way you can do all of your rotations in and around KC? I'll be married, and it would stink to have to leave town for like 8 weeks.

Thanks,
Jamie

Does anyone know if there is any way you can do all of your rotations in and around KC? I'll be married, and it would stink to have to leave town for like 8 weeks.

Thanks,
Jamie

From what I understand, you are completely allowed to stay in KC...I think some people just like to have the options to go elsewhere for various reasons. Can anyone else confirm this?

From what I understand, you are completely allowed to stay in KC...I think some people just like to have the options to go elsewhere for various reasons. Can anyone else confirm this?

Yeah, thats what Ive been told by several students. KCUMB's goal is to have ~50% of the students stay in the KC area and typically ~45% actually want to stay. Those that travel elsewhere (for the most part) wanted to go for one reason or another. But you may find that its in your best interst to go to another site for a particular rotation.

Yeah, thats what Ive been told by several students. KCUMB's goal is to have ~50% of the students stay in the KC area and typically ~45% actually want to stay. Those that travel elsewhere (for the most part) wanted to go for one reason or another. But you may find that its in your best interst to go to another site for a particular rotation.

Thanks alot!

Thanks alot!

In a worst case scenario, you do your clinical rotations elsewhere than KC, and you stay there for 2 years. Unless you do an elective, you won't have to move to a new area for each rotation, under any circumstances.

Harvey, this is a response from a 1st year at KCUMB:

"Well, it depends. For your first section, FOM [Foundations of Medicine], you will have two quizzes and a final. After that, each section will have a pathology practical, and every two sections will have an OMT practical. At the end of this [renal] section, we also have step one, and an end-of-year final the week after the regular Renal final. But for GI, we had three quizzes, but usually you'll have two weeks of lectures, then a quiz.

You'll [also] have three anatomy practicals throughout the year."

Lots of tests!

It looks like, for the most part, that there is a quiz every two weeks of a section then a final for each section. Also, there is a pathology practical for each section and an OMT practical every other section. On top of that, there are additional tests.

Anybody know about how many hrs/wk we're scheduled to be in lecture and lab our first year?

Also....does anyone know if we are going to be required to get tablet notebooks/laptops? Seems they have been the med school trend over the past couple of years...

Also, does anyone know what exactly is in the center for clinical competence? And how much time in our curriculum will be devoted to that?

Thanks,
jamie

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Harvey! I was hoping they would podcast that. I missed it when it was on TV. Very interesting insight....and a KCUMB grad makes it even better!! :D

No problem, happy someone else was excited to see this program. Watch the video listed as Reality of Situation Hits Home, you will get to see the KCUMB alum in action. I wonder if he is on SDN?

Also....does anyone know if we are going to be required to get tablet notebooks/laptops? Seems they have been the med school trend over the past couple of years...

That is an interesting question that I am interested in knowing as well.

Has anyone gotten any new info from KCUMB? Just curious when we should expect to get the next round of information.

Has anyone gotten any new info from KCUMB? Just curious when we should expect to get the next round of information.

Hey, Harvey,

I've been wondering that myself. I called the financial aid office last month, and I recall something about receiving FA packets sometime this month (April). Naturally, I'm excitedly expecting this in the mail soon. I'd definitely love to get the ball rolling on that process so that I can move on to other things. Let's keep our fingers crossed for an easy, smooth, comprehensive, and expedient financial transition for everyone. :thumbup:

Hey, Harvey,

I've been wondering that myself. I called the financial aid office last month, and I recall something about receiving FA packets sometime this month (April). Naturally, I'm excitedly expecting this in the mail soon. I'd definitely love to get the ball rolling on that process so that I can move on to other things. Let's keep our fingers crossed for an easy, smooth, comprehensive, and expedient financial transition for everyone. :thumbup:

That is nice to know. Now I can wait until the end of the month for the next big packet. I still have yet to get my calendar. Oh well.

For those of you living at CT, did you guys send in your apps yet?

Just to let everyone know, I spoke with Theresa in Admissions this afternoon and she said they were hoping to get the matriculation packets out to us the beginning of May. She was not sure about financial aid, and so I left a message with Diana to see when we should expect anything concerning financial aid. I will let y'all know what I hear back! :)

That is an interesting question that I am interested in knowing as well.

In regards to being required to purchase laptops or Tablet PCs, there has been no discussion of such a requirement that has hit student ears. I will say many students use laptops, but no one is required to. I would think that they would let everyone know ASAP if there were to be such a requirement.

If anyone knows any different, please feel free to correct me! :)

In regards to being required to purchase laptops or Tablet PCs, there has been no discussion of such a requirement that has hit student ears. I will say many students use laptops, but no one is required to. I would think that they would let everyone know ASAP if there were to be such a requirement.

If anyone knows any different, please feel free to correct me! :)

Thanks EmPeds! There was a letter sent out a while ago saying the technology requirements were changing - at least thats what I got from it. But other than that, I haven't heard anything. I might have just read too much into it! :)

That is nice to know. Now I can wait until the end of the month for the next big packet. I still have yet to get my calendar. Oh well.

For those of you living at CT, did you guys send in your apps yet?

I sent in my app for CT a while back and got approved. They had to do a credit check to see if a co-signer was needed. They said they would get back in touch with me in May/June to let me know what floor/apt I'll be in. If you know you wanna live there I'd probably send in your app soon.

Hey Everyone,
Diana called me back this morning and left me a message stating that they would be sending the Financail Aid Packets out the week of April 23rd. She said to just make sure that our FAFSA was submitted and our taxes were completed and/or filed. She also said if anyone has any questions, do not hesitate to call. I will let y'all know if I hear anything else. :)

Our white coat ceremony is Aug. 9th, right?

I hope so, because that's what I've been telling my family. ;)

Just wanted to let you all know that the White Coating Ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, August 9th. I am waiting to hear back from KCUMB regarding the exact time and whether or not there is a limit to how many guests we can bring.

Just wanted to let you all know that the White Coating Ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, August 9th. I am waiting to hear back from KCUMB regarding the exact time and whether or not there is a limit to how many guests we can bring.

I looked online and last years WCC was at 7pm. So it will probably be the same time this year as well. Someone mentioned to me that you get four tickets and that if you need more and you can request a few more from the office.

I was bored at work today and looked at the course description for the first two years. I was really impressed by the course layout and content. I am really excited to get back into the swing of things and hitting the books. Seems like KCUMB actually makes the first two years semi fun and interesting in the manner of presenting the material. I am also quite impressed by the list of electives that we have access to. I wonder if we will have anytime to take 1 or two a year?

PMED 202 — Clinical Research
This intensive four-week course elective is designed to provide the student an overview of research design, methodology, statistics, human subjects protection, literature retrieval and review through secondary analysis of national health data and prepare the student to publish a quality research project. This elective course is graded S/U.
5 semester credits

PHYS 201 — Exercise Medicine
This elective course represents an advanced level of investigation of the influences of exercise on the human body and their clinical relevance. Emphasis will be placed on the premise that inactivity is abnormal behavior with routine exercise being the normal human condition. Techniques and justification for decreasing inactivity will be discussed for multiple population groups and conditions. This elective course is graded, although the quality points do not enter into the GPA.
1 semester credit

IDIS 206 — Health Care Management & Public Health Policies
This elective course provides an introduction to health care management and public health policies in the health care field including areas of managed care, quality care issues, cost considerations, and management and leadership practices. Students are introduced to the management languages of accounting, economics, finance, human resources, information technology, law, marketing, and management. This elective course is graded S/U.
0.5 semester credits

IDIS 205 — Introduction to the Science of Judgment and Decision Making
This course provides an introduction to the science of judgment and decision making. Current research in cognitive neuroscience and psychology, evolutionary biology, and behavioral psychology are incorporated. The course provides an overview of the neurological processes involved in forming judgments and decisions, identify factors that can enhance or impede the quality of judgments and decisions, and explore techniques for improving judgment and decision making. The role of judgment and decision making in the practice of medicine, especially with respect to diagnosis and communication with patients are considered. This elective course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit

IDIS 207 — Understanding Managed Care
This course introduces students to a variety of challenges faced by health-care providers in a managed-care environment. Topics include fundamentals of managed care structure, capitation rate development, utilization management, cost and resources allocation and measurement of health outcomes. The course has directed studies, case analysis and projects. This elective course is graded S/U
0.5 semester credits

IDIS 208 — Medical Humanities—Body Images In Medicine And The Arts
The course focuses on readings/artwork of the human body as an object of study for health care professionals and consumers. Also included are the ways in which the body image influences health professionals and also patients, the media, and society in general. This course emphasizes the importance of how individuals view their own bodies as well as those of others and how gender influences these views. The “gaze” of healthcare professionals, the media, and society of someone who looks or acts “different,” is addressed through readings/artworks depicting persons who suffer from inherited and acquired physical and mental disorders. This elective course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit

FMED 211— Medical Pathways
The objective of this course is to provide students with the basics of the medical record and the approach to recording medical information. This elective course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit

FMED 212 — Complementary and Alternative Medicine
This course encompasses the prominent types of complementary and alternative medicine modalities likely to be encountered by physicians in practice. The course is taught with didactic lectures, demonstrations and audience participation. This elective course is graded S/U.
0.5 semester credits

IDIS 202 — Spanish Medical Terminology (E)
This is an elective course in conversational medical terminology, with special emphasis on effective ways to communicate with the Spanish-speaking patient. The course consists of nine sections: Pronunciation and grammar keys, Greetings and initial contact with patients, Common words and phrases, Examination questions, Physical examination, Simple patient commands, Anatomical terms, Diagnosis and symptoms, and Therapy and control issues. Previous knowledge in Spanish is helpful, but not essential. This course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit
IDIS 209 — Spanish for Medical Professionals II
This is an advanced course of medical Spanish, intended for those with a Spanish language background who are actively using their past/current Spanish skills. This elective course is graded S/U.
2.5 semester credits

FMED 210 — Sports Medicine II
The overall course objective is to provide the student with an introduction to sports medicine concepts and practices. This course will provide formal lectures and hands-on workshop training. Additionally, the student will have opportunities for hands on fieldwork. This elective course is graded S/U.
0.5 semester credits

IDIS 001 — NBOME Preparation
This is a mandatory course for those students who were unsuccessful in passing COMLEX I of the NBOME on their first attempt. Formatted as an independent study, students are expected to study a minimum of 350 hours on the subject matter customized to the student’s individual needs. This course is graded S/U.
1-10 semester credits

IDIS 002 – NBOME Preparation
This is a mandatory course for those students who were unsuccessful in passing COMLEX II of the NBOME on their first attempt. Formatted as an independent study, students are expected to study a minimum of 500 hours on the subject matter customized to the student’s individual needs. This course is graded S/U.
1-15 semester credits

Elective Interdisciplinary Offerings

IDIS 201 — Spirituality in Medicine (E)
This elective course exemplifies the Osteopathic integration of “Body, Mind and Spirit.” Students will be exposed to a variety of religious beliefs, often by practitioners of those faiths. Treatment considerations of the hospitalized patient and the dying patient will be discussed in small groups and with selected chaplains from the area. Students will also have an opportunity to explore their own belief system. For the interested students, optional activities such as a sweat lodge, a meditation, a retreat, and following a chaplain on rounds may be available. This course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit

IDIS 203 Health Care Management & Public Health Policies (E)
This elective course provides an introduction to health care management and public health policies in the health care field including areas of managed care, quality care issues, cost considerations, and management and leadership practices. Students are introduced to the management languages of accounting, economics, finance, human resources, information technology, law, marketing, and management. The course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit

IDIS 204 – Biomolecular Aspects of Clinical Medicine Journal Club (E)
This elective course consists of nine sessions for students who are interested in discussing recent journal articles linking clinical cases with relevant and interesting biomolecular science research studies. The course is graded S/U.
1 semester credit

OPP 209 — Foundations in Teaching OPP (E)
This course provides selected second year students with experience in teaching Principles of Osteopathy in the laboratory setting. Candidates are selected by the Family Medicine Department in the Spring semester of the candidate’s first year. Participants assist first year students in their weekly laboratory experience and provide individual instruction and demonstration of Osteopathic techniques under the supervision of faculty and staff. This is a year-long experience with a fall registration. Attendance at the pre-lab preparation session is required. The course is graded S/U based on attendance, interaction with first-year students, and overall attitude. A withdrawal at any time throughout the length of this course negates the credit value.
2 semester credits

ANAT 209 — Foundations in Teaching Anatomy (E)
This course provides selected second-year students with experience in teaching anatomy in the laboratory setting. Candidates are selected by the Anatomy Department in the Spring semester of the candidate’s first year. Participants assist first-year students in their laboratory experiences and provide individual instruction under the supervision of faculty and staff. this course is a year-long experience with a fall registration. Attendance at pre-lab preparation may be required. The course is graded S/U based on attendance, interaction with first-year students and overall attitude. A withdrawal at any time throughout the length of this course negates the credit value.
2 semester credits

IDIS 210 — Foundations in Teaching Clinical Skills (E)
This course provides selected second-year students with experience in teaching clinical skills in the laboratory setting. Candidates are selected by the Family Medicine Department in the Spring semester of the candidate’s first year. Participants assist first-year students in their laboratory experiences and provide individual instruction under the supervision of faculty and staff. This course is a year-long experience with a fall registration. Attendance at pre-lab preparation may be required. The course is graded S/U based on attendance, interaction with first-year students and overall attitude. A withdrawal at any time throughout the length of this course negates the credit value.
2 semester credits

Are we going to be ceremonially PAINTING something? :laugh:

I'm teasing. Thanks for confirming the date.

Will anyone be interested in any of the undergraduate fellowships or the DO/MBA dual degree?

I think the OPP fellowship interests me the most, but I'd like to get involved in some MEANINGFUL clinical research, too.

Will anyone be interested in any of the undergraduate fellowships or the DO/MBA dual degree?

I think the OPP fellowship interests me the most, but I'd like to get involved in some MEANINGFUL clinical research, too.

I would also like to be involved in some meaningful research. The fellowships do pose some great opportunities, so they would definitely be an option.

And no, we are not painting anything together at the White Coat Ceremony, as far as I know....:p

I was really interested in the DO/MBA, but want to find out a little more about what graduates of the program are actually doing with the degree these days. Anyone else thinking about it or know anything more?

I was really interested in the DO/MBA, but want to find out a little more about what graduates of the program are actually doing with the degree these days. Anyone else thinking about it or know anything more?

I am considering the DO/MBA route as well and I think nalgie24 is as well. I still have some questions about it like you do. I guess it is kinda hard to know exactly what students will be doing with it since the first couple of classes are either still in residency or just finishing up. Maybe in the next couple of years that question will be answered. Not sure if we can really know before we need to make a decision whether or not to enter it. It seems to have a lot of benefits, I am just curious if it something that I will end up using in my practice or if there is something else that might be more helpful like research. I guess the business side of medicine is something that we can always learn more of since we don't get enough of it. I guess this degree would be great if some of us have thought of admin work or maybe consulting?

I think the OPP fellowship interests me the most

Anyone know if KCUMB has a OPP fellowship that you do after your 4th year for a year before you go onto residency. When I interviewed at DMU, they had a program where you can do a year long OMM fellowship where you teach med-students, work in a clinic and some other stuff and I think they waive 4th years tuition and you get a stipend.

I'm actually really interested in doing the dual degree option but instead of the DO/MBA I'm looking at the DO/MA in Bioethics. I'm actually really excited to do this program. The only draw back for me is that if you committ to one of the dual degrees (especially the MBA) you are required to stay in KC for your 3rd and 4th years. :(

I have talked to one of the DO/MBA students several times and she loves it, for what's that worth.

The only draw back for me is that if you committ to one of the dual degrees (especially the MBA) you are required to stay in KC for your 3rd and 4th years. :(

Anything bad about the clinical years in KC or do you just want to go somewhere closer to home?

Anyone know if KCUMB has a OPP fellowship that you do after your 4th year for a year before you go onto residency. When I interviewed at DMU, they had a program where you can do a year long OMM fellowship where you teach med-students, work in a clinic and some other stuff and I think they waive 4th years tuition and you get a stipend.

I'm fairly certain that the OPP fellowship occurs before your 4th year, but I don't know about the other details. At DMU, you do the OPP fellowship and the rotations simultaneously. At KCUMB, the OPP year is distinct and it is tuition-free and you receive a stipend. I don't know if there are further benefits.

I'm fairly certain that the OPP fellowship occurs before your 4th year, but I don't know about the other details. At DMU, you do the OPP fellowship and the rotations simultaneously. At KCUMB, the OPP year is distinct and it is tuition-free and you receive a stipend. I don't know if there are further benefits.

For some reason I thought the DMU fellowship happened after your 4th year, so basically it would take 5 yrs to finish. :confused:

For some reason I thought the DMU fellowship happened after your 4th year, so basically it would take 5 yrs to finish. :confused:

I didn't explain that very well. It does take 5 years at DMU, but you take 2 years to do 4th year and the OPP fellowship simultaneously. A few months doing a rotation, a few months on campus doing OPP, and back out again doing rotations. At least, that is how I remember it was explained on my interview day.

I didn't explain that very well. It does take 5 years at DMU, but you take 2 years to do 4th year and the OPP fellowship simultaneously. A few months doing a rotation, a few months on campus doing OPP, and back out again doing rotations. At least, that is how I remember it was explained on my interview day.

:thumbup: Now I got you. Thanks for the explanation.

I am considering the DO/MBA route as well and I think nalgie24 is as well. I still have some questions about it like you do. I guess it is kinda hard to know exactly what students will be doing with it since the first couple of classes are either still in residency or just finishing up. Maybe in the next couple of years that question will be answered. Not sure if we can really know before we need to make a decision whether or not to enter it. It seems to have a lot of benefits, I am just curious if it something that I will end up using in my practice or if there is something else that might be more helpful like research. I guess the business side of medicine is something that we can always learn more of since we don't get enough of it. I guess this degree would be great if some of us have thought of admin work or maybe consulting?

I am interested as well. The only downside is that extra tuition and you have take classes during the summer of 1st and 2nd year.

I am interested as well. The only downside is that extra tuition and you have take classes during the summer of 1st and 2nd year.

Yeah that is what I was thinking of as well. However $30k is fairly reasonable for an MBA. I am a little concerned with having classes between MSII and MSIII (studying for step I) and having to take classes during 3rd/4th year. I realize that the more you know the more doors are open to you, however I wonder how much I will use/need the MBA when I practice, or what it will allow me to do that I wouldn't have been able to do without it.

Sooo, when are you guys moving to KC? I'll come at the beginning of July so that I can get everything situated and become familiar with the town. There are some GREAT places to eat at the plaza so we should all get a big group to out sometime!

Sooo, when are you guys moving to KC? I'll come at the beginning of July so that I can get everything situated and become familiar with the town. There are some GREAT places to eat at the plaza so we should all get a big group to out sometime!

My ETA is still up in the air. Hoping to secure housing and move down at the end of July... we'll see.

Also, BScheu18, I see that you're busting out the Power Cat avatar! :cool:

Anything bad about the clinical years in KC or do you just want to go somewhere closer to home?

A 1st year that I am speaking with, is currently in the DO/MBA program, and says that he will have to do the 3rd year rotations in KC, but can do 4th year rotations somewhere else, FWIW.

I am planning to move down end of June/beginning of July. Yeah, that would be great to get a big group together before classes begin.

Also, just FYI for everyone - I spoke to Nancy Jones in Student Services regarding the White Coating Ceremony, and she said we should be receiving information about the ceremony sometime in June, but they suggest you bring no more than 6 people, including yourself, to the ceremony.

Hope everyone is doing well! See you soon!:banana:

I am planning to move down end of June/beginning of July. Yeah, that would be great to get a big group together before classes begin.

Also, just FYI for everyone - I spoke to Nancy Jones in Student Services regarding the White Coating Ceremony, and she said we should be receiving information about the ceremony sometime in June, but they suggest you bring no more than 6 people, including yourself, to the ceremony.

Hope everyone is doing well! See you soon!:banana:

Where will the WCC be held?

Status
Not open for further replies.