KCUMB Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you think of the pharm on the boards? I'm pretty terrible at pharm and have almost entirely forgotten 90% of it by now.

One word: Sketchy.

Members don't see this ad.

How many days did you guys was needed to study OMM for the COMLEX?

3-4 days. I agree with this. Truthfully, I could have done 1)Step 1->2)Rest->3)Green book+youtube videos->4) COMLEX

Was the green book enough for this?

Yes and no. Mandatory read. Won't cover everything, but who cares?

What do you think of the pharm on the boards? I'm pretty terrible at pharm and have almost entirely forgotten 90% of it by now.

Start sketchy now. I would review like a page of pharm every day from FA at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm looking through elective rotations for 4th year on VSAS and just recently found out that some of the programs have cut-offs for class rank and step score. Example, one of the locations I'm looking at doing residency at (not a particularly competitive program from what I understand) accepts DOs but only if they've got a 225+ USMLE and are in the top 10% of the class. Anyone else having any problems like this or even know about that? I know programs set standards for residency applicants, but I didn't know elective rotations weeded people out.

Anyone else kind of pissed we were never informed of this before halfway through 3rd year?

So I'm looking through elective rotations for 4th year on VSAS and just recently found out that some of the programs have cut-offs for class rank and step score. Example, one of the locations I'm looking at doing residency at (not a particularly competitive program from what I understand) accepts DOs but only if they've got a 225+ USMLE and are in the top 10% of the class. Anyone else having any problems like this or even know about that? I know programs set standards for residency applicants, but I didn't know elective rotations weeded people out.

Anyone else kind of pissed we were never informed of this before halfway through 3rd year?
I haven't seen any sort of thresholds for electives. What specialty are you looking into?

It's Hennepin in MN. Was looking at potentially doing a rotation there and they require DOs to have a USMLE above 225 and be top 10% in their class. It's the first time I've seen that for rotations, just curious if anyone else had run into any similar problems.

Nope, haven't run into that problem. I've seen some sites require a Neurology rotation though which is not required by our school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's Hennepin in MN. Was looking at potentially doing a rotation there and they require DOs to have a USMLE above 225 and be top 10% in their class. It's the first time I've seen that for rotations, just curious if anyone else had run into any similar problems.

Srsly? 225 seems reasonable, but top 10% is required as well? Those numbers seem weirdly disproportionate...

Reactions: 1 user
Srsly? 225 seems reasonable, but top 10% is required as well? Those numbers seem weirdly disproportionate...

Yea, the 10% thing is what threw me. Kind of sounds like it's just not a DO friendly location, which is strange because Mayo and U Minn have quite a few DOs in the residency programs...

Yea, the 10% thing is what threw me. Kind of sounds like it's just not a DO friendly location, which is strange because Mayo and U Minn have quite a few DOs in the residency programs...
Is this Hennepin EM? If so, it's one of the top EM programs. They are picky, not b/c they are anti-DO. There are DO residents in the program. Btw, I heard that they will make exception if you are in the 1/3 of the class. Just email the program coordinator and ask.

Is this Hennepin EM? If so, it's one of the top EM programs. They are picky, not b/c they are anti-DO. There are DO residents in the program. Btw, I heard that they will make exception if you are in the 1/3 of the class. Just email the program coordinator and ask.

Ha, it is. I didn't realize they had such a strong EM program since that's not the field I'm interested in. I was just hoping to get a feel of what the hospital was like and maybe meet some of the people in the field I'm looking at. I'm also not in the top 1/3 of my class, glad to hear it is DO friendly though!

So I don't know about everybody else but I only have 2 more required shelf exams!! Third year is flying by.....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
How does 4th year schedule work?

Can you potentially rotate anywhere in the country if you want? Ie closer to home?

How does 4th year schedule work?

Can you potentially rotate anywhere in the country if you want? Ie closer to home?
Yes, anywhere you want. You can also do international rotations.

The only required rotation you need to do at your core site is the subspecialty rotation. ER, sub-I's and elective rotations can be anywhere.

The only required rotation you need to do at your core site is the subspecialty rotation. ER, sub-I's and elective rotations can be anywhere.

So potentially how many months can I do away rotations in 4th year?

So you only need to do one rotation at the core site? Can you do it early on?

I thought it was 9 months?

Yes, just schedule it with the coordinator at your core site.

Current curriculum has 6 electives and 1 Sub I. Those can be anywhere. Then a Med Spec and EM have to be at core sites.

Hmm.. I've seen 4th years do their ER rotation at non-core sites.

Had any luck figuring out how to schedule an international rotation? I've been searching, it seems logistically challenging...

Hmm. I would contact Dr. Desai. He's in charge of international rotations in general.

Just got an email from Dr. Graneto saying they're removing the subspecialty requirement and requiring 3 sub-I's instead of 2. Cool, no required rotations at my core site!

Last edited:
Just got an email from Dr. Graneto saying they're removing the subspecialty requirement and requiring 3 sub-I's instead of 2. Cool, no required rotations at my core site!

EM is still required at your core site. Just want you aware so you don't run into trouble.

So today a lot of the fellows really gave a good review of DIT and said the Kaplan course was less good.

What do you guys think? Where did you get your content review from for usmle? It couldn't have been just all from FA, pathoma, and sketchy could it?

So today a lot of the fellows really gave a good review of DIT and said the Kaplan course was less good.

What do you guys think? Where did you get your content review from for usmle? It couldn't have been just all from FA, pathoma, and sketchy could it?

I used pathoma, FA and sketchy. I also purchased USMLERx for Step 1 because it was FA in video format....which some people don't like but it was fine for me. I liked the videos taking me through FA since I'm an audio learner.
I did UWorld and Combank all the way through 1.5x.

I did not use DIT or Kaplan (except for the required question % we had to do on Kaplan).

And I got much higher than my goal score.

I used pathoma, FA and sketchy. I also purchased USMLERx for Step 1 because it was FA in video format....which some people don't like but it was fine for me. I liked the videos taking me through FA since I'm an audio learner.
I did UWorld and Combank all the way through 1.5x.

I did not use DIT or Kaplan (except for the required question % we had to do on Kaplan).

And I got much higher than my goal score.

Did you feel like you knew most of the material before going into your review? I feel like I've got so much work to review and relearn.

Don't waste your time with Kaplan. And DIT is only good if you are a video learner and/or need structure. I actually think just as many passes of FA as you can do, really UNDERSTANDING the pathophys behind everything, is all you need. Then of course Sketchy, Pathoma and questions.

The more time you spent going through Robbins the better off you will be for prep.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you feel like you knew most of the material before going into your review? I feel like I've got so much work to review and relearn.

I felt pretty good going into it that nothing was unfamiliar.
I just did questions until I wanted to vomit and then kept going.

I felt pretty good going into it that nothing was unfamiliar.
I just did questions until I wanted to vomit and then kept going.

I feel like I probably don't remember anything from first semester tbh. Like minimal change dz? what is that even.

really gave a good review of DIT

Srsly? Thats surprising. I thought it was an okay learning aid. Not great, not bad, just okay. But for the price tag it asks, I'm unsure that it was worth it. I think the best thing it offers is a good, structured/disciplined schedule that walks you through FA fairly methodically. But if I were going to do it all over again, I would not invest in DIT a 2nd time.

Hands down the most valuable use of your time is UFAP(S). If you can be disciplined about this without DIT, than you're probably best off forgoing it.

Reactions: 3 users
when is everyone starting to study for step 2 and what resources are you guys using?

Srsly? Thats surprising. I thought it was an okay learning aid. Not great, not bad, just okay. But for the price tag it asks, I'm unsure that it was worth it. I think the best thing it offers is a good, structured/disciplined schedule that walks you through FA fairly methodically. But if I were going to do it all over again, I would not invest in DIT a 2nd time.

Hands down the most valuable use of your time is UFAP(S). If you can be disciplined about this without DIT, than you're probably best off forgoing it.

For @Drrrrrr. Celty and all your friends, if you're thinking of DIT just for organizational reasons there are better tools. Get CramFighter (a fraction of the cost of DIT), spend a full day just working out what you're going to study each day and really get a schedule down that will work for you, and then hit it hard. Have been using cramfighter 3rd year and have been doing a lot better than pre-clinical. Really wish I had used it to make a boards schedule, but oh well.

when is everyone starting to study for step 2 and what resources are you guys using?

June 1 (maybe 2), UWorld until I pass out, sleep, repeat.

I've actually already started... This week is super easy for the rotation I'm on, and no shelf at the end of it, so I just decided to start working on boards.
OME + UW + FA.

On another note - anyone else's Shelf score from last Friday still not uploaded?

I've actually already started... This week is super easy for the rotation I'm on, and no shelf at the end of it, so I just decided to start working on boards.
OME + UW + FA.

On another note - anyone else's Shelf score from last Friday still not uploaded?

Mine just got uploaded today, thanks for the week of pulling my hair out NBME...

Has anyone heard differences between FA 2, MTB, and SU2M? I'm planning on using MTB and using my resources from shelf exams to take notes in it this month, but not sure how much more in depth Step Up goes...

Mine just got uploaded today, thanks for the week of pulling my hair out NBME...

Has anyone heard differences between FA 2, MTB, and SU2M? I'm planning on using MTB and using my resources from shelf exams to take notes in it this month, but not sure how much more in depth Step Up goes...

I've been supplementing with FA - its okay (definitely not as useful as for Step 1). I tried to use SU2M for my IM shelf - it was brutal... Just way too dense for me to retain any of it. I decided not to bother with it for Step. I can't report anything on MTB. Honestly I think I'm just planning on doing UW/OME ad nauseum supplementing here & there with FA and other minor resources as appropriate.

I've been supplementing with FA - its okay (definitely not as useful as for Step 1). I tried to use SU2M for my IM shelf - it was brutal... Just way too dense for me to retain any of it. I decided not to bother with it for Step. I can't report anything on MTB. Honestly I think I'm just planning on doing UW/OME ad nauseum supplementing here & there with FA and other minor resources as appropriate.

MTB feels like a more clinically oriented FA (from Step 1). Kind of a skeleton that serves as a good reminder about what you need to study, but not really enough to hit every important detail. I'm planning on doing a lot of annotating in it this month to fill in the gaps/remind myself of important details.

MTB feels like a more clinically oriented FA (from Step 1). Kind of a skeleton that serves as a good reminder about what you need to study, but not really enough to hit every important detail. I'm planning on doing a lot of annotating in it this month to fill in the gaps/remind myself of important details.

I've heard there are lots of errors in MTB. I'm simply using OME and UW/COMBANK.

Reactions: 2 users

I tried to use SUTM for my IM shelf too and while it liked it it was just too much to get through. If I had the time I would definitely use it but questions are gonna be hard enough to get through as is.

I've heard there are lots of errors in MTB. I'm simply using OME and UW/COMBANK.

I haven't used MTB much yet, so not sure how many errors there are. I know OME videos had more than a few errors though and I stopped using them because I was getting UWorld questions wrong. The psych section was particularly awful and I pretty much stopped using it altogether after that rotation. Idk how the written chapters are, but I'd be careful with the videos.