KCUMB Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone use Step 2 Kaplan Qbank yet? Or have most of yall been using UWorld?

I have been using UWorld and online MedEd.
I use the Kaplan lecture notes books, though.

First shelf was this past weekend. We shall see if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone signed up for Step 2 CS or COMLEX II CE? Are testing dates available for them yet if we're taking them in July?

To add on, here's the school's list from blackboard:

COM 2018 Subject Exam Rubric
Exam Fail Pass Honors
FMED 79 80 120
IMED 53 54 76
OBGY 56 57 80
PEDS 55 56 78
PSYC 61 62 81
SURG 54 55 76

Optional Exams Rubric
Exam Fail Pass Honors
EMED 56 57 75
NEURO 58 59 81

Here's a link that tells you how many items are on each exam and how much time you get (NBME only): http://www.nbme.org/pdf/SubjectExams/SubjectExaminationQuickGuide.pdf

Seems like passing is between 55-60% and honors is around 80%. That's percent for questions correct, not national percentile (otherwise it would be impossible to honor FM since an H requires a score of 120).

Just want to clarify. So during IM, a 59.4/110 , which is a 53%, is what you need to pass? What scale is the FM on? You still can't get a 120% Edit: Is the 53% based on the curve or is that the raw %? Help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to clarify. So during IM, a 59.4/110 , which is a 53%, is what you need to pass? What scale is the FM on? You still can't get a 120% Edit: Is the 53% based on the curve or is that the raw %? Help.

COMATs are 125 questions each, so you need 95%+ to honor apparently. Idk if that's a typo that's supposed to be 102 instead of 120 or if they just hate giving FM honors. How I interpreted the chart is that those are the raw scores you need to pass. So a 54/110 or a 49% is passing, 76/110 is honors. Idk if that's right, but blackboard didn't say percentage there and you can't get 120%, so I assumed they are either raw scores or some other number that idk how to interpret.

Maybe it's all just based off of last year's numbers or something because some of those numbers seem way off. Either way, I'm just trying to focus on crushing most of the shelves.

from my understanding, you get a scaled score just like you do on step 1. for IM, you have to get above a score of 21 to honor. see image (screenshot from my practice NBME IM shelf).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 5.26.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 5.26.07 PM.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: 1 user
I remember reading that WBP has a COMAT for OMM. Is that done everywhere?

We had to take the OMM comat at the end of 2nd year. And we apparently have to take another one at the end of third year.

We had to take the OMM comat at the end of 2nd year. And we apparently have to take another one at the end of third year.

Is it at least good prep for the comlex omm?

Seriously? Didn't we take enough tests during second year or is school intent on making sure we have more tests than necessary until we graduate?

Is it at least good prep for the comlex omm?

I thought it was a pretty poor indicator of board performance. I did well on the COMAT we took, not so much on the OMM section of Level 1 (my weakest section by far).

Seriously? Didn't we take enough tests during second year or is school intent on making sure we have more tests than necessary until we graduate?

I thought it was a pretty poor indicator of board performance. I did well on the COMAT we took, not so much on the OMM section of Level 1 (my weakest section by far).

how did you study for OMM?

Yes, seriously. I remember getting an email about the exam from the school and saying some not so appropriate words as I read it.

how did you study for OMM?

Savarese, aka "The Green Book". Know your viscerosomatics and your Chapman's points. If you do you'll basically get 5-10 free points.

Other than that it was just a hodge podge of everything with 1/3 being decently written questions that I thought were pretty clear, 1/3 being really specific stuff that I'd guess 75% of students would be guessing on, and 1/3 of them that made me wonder where we were supposed to have learned the info in the question. Seriously, there were some really stupid and poorly written questions on my Level 1. I'll also add that I actually like OMM and was hoping the questions on boards would be decently written, don't get your hopes up for that though...

Have been trying for a few months and can never catch the spots that open monthly. I have not seen even 1 opening

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

me neither. I registered for it in August when there were plenty of spots open but seems like all the spots are full now

Is there a point in second year where we aren't miserable?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
OS competencies were easier, there was less PCM, but the class material was a little harder IMHO.

2nd semester you start preparing for boards and things get awfully hectic.

I gotta disagree. Other than Heme/Lymph I thought second semester was a joke compared to first semester. Neuro and renal were hardest imo, and GI sucked because we got 15 minutes worth of info on the Liver, which is the highest yield GI organ for boards from that system. Plus OS and PCM were definitely way easier. The worst part of second semester (other than studying for boards) was having to do all the BLS/ACLS/disaster med/whatever extra stuff that was just time consuming but didn't really count for anything. Without that I think second semester would have been cake.

I agree that H&L kind of sucked because everything sounds kind of similar (like renal), but repro wasn't bad, endo was a lot of review from first year, and I thought psych was the easiest section of the year by far (though some people will definitely disagree there). Only problem with psych was pharm since there's not much rhyme or reason to how the drugs are named. I honestly think they frontload 2nd year with the sections that are traditionally the hardest for path (Neuro and Renal), after that it's really not that bad, at least in terms of pathology.

I gotta disagree. Other than Heme/Lymph I thought second semester was a joke compared to first semester. Neuro and renal were hardest imo, and GI sucked because we got 15 minutes worth of info on the Liver, which is the highest yield GI organ for boards from that system. Plus OS and PCM were definitely way easier. The worst part of second semester (other than studying for boards) was having to do all the BLS/ACLS/disaster med/whatever extra stuff that was just time consuming but didn't really count for anything. Without that I think second semester would have been cake.

I agree that H&L kind of sucked because everything sounds kind of similar (like renal), but repro wasn't bad, endo was a lot of review from first year, and I thought psych was the easiest section of the year by far (though some people will definitely disagree there). Only problem with psych was pharm since there's not much rhyme or reason to how the drugs are named. I honestly think they frontload 2nd year with the sections that are traditionally the hardest for path (Neuro and Renal), after that it's really not that bad, at least in terms of pathology.

You better be right about this! Burn out is happening so quick right now this semester haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OS competencies were easier, there was less PCM, but the class material was a little harder IMHO.

I'm fine with harder class material. OS, Score 1, and PCM just legitimately exhaust the crap out of me. Combine that without having any time off/ weekends and you've got a legitimately toxic situation.

Good to hear. Honestly if things stayed the same pace as this semester I don't think I'd be able to do any boards studying.

Our competencies are for points now, so a 5/5 means spending more time on them. PCM is definitely better.

Our competencies are for points now, so a 5/5 means spending more time on them. PCM is definitely better.

I continue to hold the position that the competencies are more stressful than the tests this year.

I continue to hold the position that the competencies are more stressful than the tests this year.

It's not like there are 80+ tender points we have to have memorized and know how to treat by tomorrow afternoon....

It's not like there are 80+ tender points we have to have memorized and know how to treat by tomorrow afternoon....

Among other things we need to do that entire day.... I mean lets be real now. 2 to 3 8 to 5 days on the week of a test is legitimately the stupidest thing I've ever experienced ever.

Like I'm going to legitimately look at some of the ekgs and be making some hideously stupid guesses lol.

Among other things we need to do that entire day.... I mean lets be real now. 2 to 3 8 to 5 days on the week of a test is legitimately the stupidest thing I've ever experienced ever.

Like I'm going to legitimately look at some of the ekgs and be making some hideously stupid guesses lol.

Medical school will always find a way to fill up your day.

When you're on 3rd year IM you might be expected to be in the hospital for 12 hours and then study.

Reactions: 1 users