Medical School Admissions: How can I improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all your helpful posts on this forum.
Here is my story. I applied last year with no interview, most likely due to my MCAT scores (PS10 VR6 BS9 WS M). I have was a science major with a 3.4 science and 3.45 overall gpa. I retook the mcat earlier this year and improved my scores slightly (PS11 VR 7 BS 10 WS L (have no idea what went wrong, i thought i did okay). So my question is, should i reapply this year? I am going to start a SMP this fall and i was thinking that, if i apply this year, my application will be considered late (having to wait for grades). I am from Cali. Thanks

Only you can decide if the costs and efforts of applying this year are worth it for you. If the only thing that changed between last year and this year is the increase in MCAT, then the odds are not compelling, but again, there is way too much we don't know about you and your application to evaluate it. This includes your willingness to apply to a range of programs across the country and the strength of your letters and your other activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

First, thank you for taking the time to answer questions - this thread has been very informative.

My problem is I'm afraid I won't have much clinical experience to show in my application. My numbers are good; I'm heavily involved in community service (president of APO, a community service fraternity for two years); and I have a little bit of research (no publications or anything to show for it though).

However, my dad is a self-employed acupuncturist and works out of an office in my family's home. As a result, I get substantial patient interaction and what could be considered 'shadowing', mostly because I am present to help out. Is this appropriate to put as an extracurricular in AMCAS, or will it be viewed as insubstantial or not quite "real" clinical experience?

I will be working at a hospice this summer and also at a clinical neurology lab, but I'd like to submit my application early. Would it be a better idea to submit in august, so I can get this summer's experience down? Or can my experiences with my dad be considered acceptable?

Thank you so much! I appreciate any advice that can be given.
I think it's important to have other clinical experience besides just shadowing your dad. It's great that he has given you so much insight into working with patients, but the problem is that you can't exactly ask your dad to write you a letter of recommendation for medical school, you know? Plus, I don't get the impression from your post that he's actually a physician. You probably need to spend some time shadowing an MD or a DO. Don't stop working with your dad if you're getting a lot out of it, but shadow a physician too. And definitely do mention working with your dad on your AMCAS activities if it has been significant to you.

My advice is to go ahead and submit your AMCAS as soon as you are ready. You can list the hospice work on there as one of your activities (from June 2007 to present). When you do your secondaries, you can go into more detail about what you did there, and same for your interviews.

Hi! I'm a nurse and mother of 4 seeking a VERY nontraditional premed pathway! :D Any advise (besides "good luck") for how I should pursue premed that will stand out when I apply to med school? Do admissions look for the typical 4 yr BS as a standard? :oops:
You need to do the same things as everyone else who applies to medical school. Basically, you should complete the four pre-requisite courses (one year each of biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics with lab) if you haven't already. Some schools will also want you to have other classes like calculus, English, or biochemistry, so check in the MSAR for the requirements of the schools where you plan to apply. Once you are done with the pre-requisite courses, you should prepare for and take the MCAT. (Most people take 2-3 months, but take as much or as little time as you need.) As a nurse, you will obviously have a very strong clinical background, but you will need to have a very good answer to the question of why you want to switch to medicine. Also, if you haven't already, you should go down to the Nontraditional Students forum and look through some of the threads there.

My opinion is that the most important things adcomms are looking for are ability to do well in medical school and the boards (as evidenced by strong grades and MCAT scores) and dedication to a career in medicine (as evidenced by extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and interviews). There is no one right way to show that you have what it takes in those two senses; every applicant is different. There is no way to know in advance what will make you stand out to an adcomm, so pursue activities that you are passionate about, and apply broadly if you can when the time comes. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's amazing, the more research I do about premed and med schools, the more questions I have, which leads to more research... LOL. Okay, So my newest question is about research. I have heard that most med schools prefer to see some experiences in research. Q#1) How much experience? A year? 2?
Most med students I have researched have done their research in traditional science areas (ie: genetics, working in labs, etc...). As a nurse I am interested in other areas, such as Infection Control and Patient Education pre- , during, and post-procedures. Q#2) Would a research project in these areas be of interest to admissions?
Working in a pediatric orthopedic surgical hospital, my research in those areas would benefit my work at the same time. Q#3) Would it interest the admissions if my research project were written in a format to benefit the hospital alone in education, or should I ask permission from the hospital to describe my findings in some published fashion as well?
Q#4) Does it look better to participate in a research group, or is solo research just as acceptable?

1. There is no minimum or maximum amount of research you need to do. For someone with your medical experiences, most folks wouldn't expect multiple years of bench research.

2. Pick the research project that interests you! Don't try to outguess the adcom as to what interests them. Clinical patient-oriented research is valued by everyone, especially patients but also adcoms.

3. If you conduct patient-oriented research, it must meet all ethical guidelines for informed consent and institutional approval. The nature of how it is presented is not terribly important to be concerned about at this point. Again, focus on the project ideas for now.

4. It is always better to start out with a mentor for your research. If your research is related to patient education, there are plenty of folks with expertise out there. They may not be at your institution, but they are out there. Think about the nursing schools in your area and other educational institutions where you can go to seek guidance.

Now, the mentor board is going to release you to the non-trad board or the other pre-medical forum boards! I promise we'll keep an eye on your questions over there. I think you'll have a lot of questions and our purpose in this forum isn't to engage in long-term 1:1 guidance. For that find a mentor at your (or other) institutions and meanwhile keep posting your questions in the other forums.

Good luck!

Hi there, I have a few questions. I've taken a semester of bio, which was supposed to be the equivalent of bio 1 and bio 2. I've also taken cell bio, genetics and microbiology. Genetics and microbio were labs but because I took micro abroad they only gave me 2 credits for it. (I found transferring of credits didn't correlate to what I expected in several courses.) So does this meet the pre-reqs for bio or do I still need another basic bio course?

Also since my science courses were taken all over the place: abroad, in summer school and in large lecture halls, I really do not have any definite science LORs. I alresdy graduated and there was not really any pre-med committee. Do they ever waive the rule of two science LORs if I have other good ones? Am I better off asking someone who doesn't really know me as well but I got an A in the course or ask someone who was my prof in two courses that I got an A and B+ (must have really bombed the final because I had a 98 average going into it)? Or should I take another science course just to get a LOR? Should I ask a lab instructor if they are a professor?

If I am an average applicant, how many clinical hours and shadowing hours do you think I should have?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
This post is actually asking several questions, so I'm going to try to tease them apart and address them individually.

1) Have you completed the biology pre-requisite? Probably this will depend on the individual school. Most if not all medical schools want applicants to take a year of general biology with lab. You have not done this, but you can ask the schools where you plan to apply if they would be willing to waive the requirement in your case. If they say yes, then the problem is solved. If they say no, you will probably need to take some additional biology coursework.

2) Who is the best person to get letters from? Someone who knows you well and can comment on your abilities and aptitude for a career in medicine. It isn't helpful to get a letter from someone who just says something to the effect of, "Dr. Josh was a student in my biology class and earned an A for the semester."

3) Do medical schools waive the letter requirements? Again, you will have to ask the individual schools where you plan to apply. In particular if you are an older student who has been out of school for a while, you may be able to get exceptions made to the letter requirements.

4) How many clinical and shadowing hours should you have? Enough to convince the adcomm that you are committed to a career in medicine and that you know what you're getting yourself into. There is no one-size-fits-all requirement. When you have enough experience to intelligibly and convincingly explain why you want to be a physician on your personal statement and at your interviews, then that's the number of hours you need.

Thanks for your responses. I'm still concerned about my science LOR because all my sciences were in huge lecture halls or in a rushed summer school course. So what do you think if I have very strong letters from 2 physicians (probably DOs), a very strong letter from a PA, a very strong letter from a non-science professor and decent but almost form-type letters from 2 science professors.
Again, getting letters from people who barely know you is not very helpful. You really need to ask people who know you well enough to specifically comment on your strengths as a candidate for medical school.

I have been conducting biophysics research on a Fulbright scholarship for the last year. Can I use a letter of recommendation from both my PI and the executive director of my host country's Fulbright board? The thing is, I need to use my PI's letter (which should be pretty good), but I know that the director would write a very strong letter. Alternatively, I could get a letter from a physician that I've shadowed for ~40 hours. (I already have 3 letters from professors (research adviser/bio prof, chair of bio dept and biomedical ethicist), so I should be fine there.) Which letters should I use?

Best,
wisguy
Most schools will allow you to submit up to three optional letters, for a total of six letters. Double check with the schools where you are applying, but as far as I know, you should have no problem submitting all five of the letters (the three required ones plus the one from the Fulbright director and the one from the physician).

I'm working on my M.D./Ph.D., and I think your application looks pretty strong, by the way. Make sure that you can explain your research well for your essays and your interviews. Good luck with everything.

Last year I applied to an embarrassing number of medical schools. My GPA was 3.1 and MCAT 28. Nobody told me there was a problem applying late, so I applied October/November. Now I have no acceptances and am facing another year. I'm wondering if I applied early this year, would my chances be incredibly greater than my last year's trial? I need to know if I should really go out and improve my scores next year, or take a job and apply this year ASAP.
Applying earlier is definitely better than applying later, but I don't know how much difference it will make to you as a reapplicant unless you have also improved your application in some significant way. Particularly if you are reapplying to the same schools from last year, they will be looking for you to have done something to strengthen your application.

I am trying to decide where to apply this summer. Do you think that with a 3.7 gpa in biomedical engineering and a 33 MCAT I can be "confident" that I'll get into at least one of the top ten (or twenty?) med schools? I mean I don't know how broad my range of med schools should be.

My EC's include founding a chapter of an AIDS-related student org at my university (it's pretty big.. there's about 140 chapters nation-wide), research (including a possible 3rd author publication-still pending- and an oral presentation at med symposium), spiritual camps, volunteering, shadowing abroad, tutoring, etc. Thanks for your input!

This is a "what are my chances?" post and we do not answer these types of questions. I suggest reading this link for an explanation - Why Can't Adcoms answer my WAMC post? By Tildy the Dog

You may want to ask your question in the pre-allopathic forum in this thread - Pre-Allo WAMC/Where to Apply thread

You may also want to focus less on the tier of the schools and apply to schools that you think will be a good fit for you, not just whether or not they are a "top school".

After years of being intimidated by math difficulties, I've decided to bite the bullet, study my behind off and try to go to med school. I have a B.A., with a GPA of 3.31 and I'm 12 hours into a graduate degree with a GPA of 3.25. I've decided to quit the graduate degree right now and start taking the pre-req courses I didn't get during my undergraduate years. I want to start with calculus because its a requirement for almost all Texas medical schools. (Plus having it behind me will help me make As in Chemistry) I'd like to take calculus next spring which will be my last spring working before I become a full-time student again. But the only school offering an evening calculus class is the local community college. Will taking Calculus at a community college be a problem when I try to get admitted? Also, I took Biology I and the lab as a freshman in the summer of 1999. I made As in both classes but are they too old now? Should I re-take Biology I? I really appreciate your help!

Your prerequisites will not be too old for most schools though you may want to call the admissions offices at schools are you interested in to verify this. In general, courses do not expire. You may need to relearn the material to do well on the MCAT if you don't remember what you learned in the courses any longer, however.

Courses taken at a community college are generally not a problem - there are some schools that do not accept them under certain circumstances so again it may be a good idea to call the schools you are interested in to verify.

Regarding your second recommendation, I was wondering what questions might be good/bad or appropriate/inappropriate to ask someone who is involved with an admissions office in some way. I was told by one that they are uncomfortable speaking with anyone about their individual situation. My feeling is that they wouldn't want to answer WAMC-type questions. How would I make the most of my time (and not waste theirs)? For non-trads, in particular (30+ years old, possibly families, possibly low grades, may/may not have advanced degrees, possibly good careers), a realistic, objective perspective is helpful.

In terms of framing issues, how does one explain valid reasons for past performance while not seeming to make excuses? Write about them or not mention them?

Lastly, out of curiosity, there are the rankings of schools by "research" and by "practice." Since all medical schools would have to cover the same material so that an MD = MD = MD, how do some schools focus their programs on research or practice and how does this affect admissions committees... do they look for "future researchers" or "future practitioners?"

Some adcom members are a bit uncomfortable with WAMC questions because they do not want to be seen as making promises that can't/won't be kept by the school. Applicants may hear "I think you should retake the MCAT and try for a score of X" as "If you get an X, you'll be admitted." This type of confusion makes some adcoms gun shy of these meetings. However, many adcoms welcome the opportunity to hear in detail about applicants and give advice and ESTIMATE the strength of the application. So, it is worthwhile to seek this type of advice while making it clear that you recognize that the adcom member can't make any promises.

As to the second question, there seems to be a range of opinions on this. I prefer a very succinct explanation with a focus on the future and what you have been doing to improve, not why you had problems. Others feel like some more explanation is needed. So, go with what suits you, recognizing that responses may vary. However you go, don't come across as "whiny" or as someone who doesn't really recognize that they were responsible for any past failures.

I have no particular comment on the third question. I look for the best applicant, not at how they relate research vs clinical practice in the future (This of course exludes MD/PhD applicants). Most will change their mind anyway.

Thank you for all your help. I was wondering what reaction an adcom will have to a 7 on the verbal (with 11PS and 10BS). Will it take me out of the running? This is m second time taking the MCAT (I got a 6VR the first time.)

Schools and adcom members vary in the emphasis that they place on the verbal section of the MCAT. Most adcom members can tell you the average Verbal score for their most recent incoming class and some might have, based on experience, a "minimum". At some schools, that minimum is used to screen out applicants who are "inadmissable".

Earning a 6 and 7 seems to rule out a problem on test day. Is it good enough for you to manage the workload of medical school? That is a question that each school must answer for itself based on past experience with students who had less than optimal verbal scores, the curriculum and the teaching style. Some schools might find a verbal score of 7 to be acceptable if everything else is picture-perfect (excellent gpa, good performance in text-heavy coursework in the humanities and social sciences, reassuring letters of recommendation from people who address the applicant's ability to communicate well in English.)

That may not be much to go on but it is a tough question.

what kind of emphasis do adcoms place on biochemistry? and how is it interpreted if it is at somewhat variance with academic performance in other science courses?
Probably one bad grade won't affect your GPA too much if the rest of your record is strong. I think that the interpretation will depend on the individual school and also on exactly how poor your biochemistry grade is. Some schools require biochemistry as a pre-requisite, while other schools merely recommend it or consider it to be optional. Check with the schools where you are applying for more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
So since I've never had any science professors who really knew me, do you suggest I take more science classes just to get to know the professor and get a LOR? Can I ask a lab professor, especially if they are a PhD?

It is unfortunate that you haven't gotten to know any of your science professors. Have you finished all of your prerequisites? If you have more science classes you need to take then it would be beneficial to go to office hours regularly so that professor can get to know you and see that you are motivated to do well in his/her course. Only then can a professor write a good LOR, in my opinion.

If you have no more science classes to take then you are a bit stuck. You'll have to weigh for yourself if the benefit of getting a better LOR from a professor is worth the semester of work for a course you don't need. I'm not an admissions committee member, just a medical student so I can't tell you what you should do. I do not know how a LOR from a lab professor is viewed.

Hi, I'm a high school student who tried in vain to post several times on this thread. I guess it doesn't hurt to try again, but I would be very happy if you could clarify my uncertainties.

1. How is foreign shadowing of MDs regarded by med school admission committes?
2. How are foreign MDs' letters of recommendation regarded?
3. Is shadowing really essential (can you get in with hospital volunteering but no shadowing experience)?
4. Is it negative to opt for foreign shadowing (if it is interpreted as a sign that you can't find a US MD to shadow, thus lack of motivation)?

I would be very pleased if you could help me for this please.

1. There is no guidebook by which Adcoms evaluate these types of issues. Each situation is considered individually. There is no reason to think that there would not be benefit from shadowing physicians practicing outside the US. However, it is important to also gain insight into the US health care delivery system and the career paths of physicians in the US. So, it would be best to have some US experiences as well.

2. No differently than any other letter of recommendation.

3. Highly recommended. For those with extensive health care experience already (eg nurses), physician shadowing may not be needed. Still, it is helpful to ensure that all applicants have spent enough time talking to physicians about their job and seeing what physicians do in order to understand the career path they are taking.

4. It all depends on how you explain it.

Please do not post your questions multiple times. Remember that we see each post even though the poster does not. It takes us a while to answer at times.

Why would someone go to office hours if they understand the material and don't have any questions or need extra help? The only courses i ever needed help in were the ones the professors didn't offer any help and I'd never ask them for a LOR. So should office hours be used to suck up to a professor in hopes of getting a LOR?

Another question when they say "2 leeters from science professors", does it mean they had to teach me a science course or could I have worked for them in a different capacity?

Well, perhaps you need to "suck up" to the professors in order to get a meaningful recommendation if that's how you view it.

No one understands all the material in a class 100%. Even if you know enough to get the grade you want on an exam, go to office hours and ask deeper questions about topics that interest you. I'm not a professor, but I really think professors like this! They like to know that a student isn't asking for help to make sure they get an A, but are asking for help because they truely want to understand the material. It's even better if you really are interested and not just pretending to be. ;)

Someone else will have to tackle the question about who the letters need to be from.

Also, I think it's time for us to release you from the mentor forum with regard to your LOR questions. The mentor forum is not meant to be an on-going dialogue between students and mentors. It's more geared toward giving students a place to ask specific questions they can't get answered elsewhere. I think the general message boards will be a good place to ask further questions and get more feedback about your LORs.

My MCAT scores were rather low: VR-10, BS-9, and PS-6 (25M). I believe I will do much better with a retake, but I will probably be ready for that by the end of October. Scores would be ready by November. Therefore, should I apply with what I have now, wait to apply in November for the schools that close in December, or should I wait for the next year entirely?

I believe I have a shot with my state schools right now, but if I don't, would applying and then reapplying with my (hopefully) better MCAT score be acceptable? Do schools look down upon applying twice to the same place?

Thank you very much for considering my question. I very much appreciate it.
I'm a little confused by your time-table. The last date to sit for the MCAT in 2007 is September 8 (or September 15 if you are Canadian). There are NO test dates available in October, November, or December. The link to the AAMC test dates can be found on their website: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/datesdeadlines.pdf

My personal opinion is that both your overall and physical science scores are low enough to hurt your application at most allopathic schools, particularly if you also have an average or below average GPA. The average total MCAT score for allopathic matriculants is a 30-31, and ideally you should try to get at least an 8 on each section. Since you don't think you will be ready for the September 8 test, my advice is to re-take the MCAT in January of 2008 and apply in June 2008 to matriculate in 2009.

Hi. Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear about the biochemistry question. How favorable is it for a student to perform very well in Biochem (A) as a senior if they had trouble with general chemistry as a freshman. thanks!
Well, if you can't have straight As all four years, it's probably better to start out lower and then get As a senior, versus starting out well as a freshman and then doing poorly. It seems fairly common for people to need some time to get adjusted to college and mature enough to do well in school, and I think that most adcomms take upward GPA trends into consideration. Again, though, how the adcomms will view your low general chemistry grade depends on that particular adcomm and on the strength of the rest of your academic record.

I am a rising junior at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, pursuing a major in chemistry. I had a very hard time adjusting to this masochistic school, and have grown to love it. As a result of the adjustment, my cumulative GPA right now is only a 2.7/4.0. It is next to impossible, it seems, to make an A here due to an invisible grading curve and insanely rigorous classes. I made a calculation that if I get A's in all my junior year classes, I will be able to achieve a 3.2/4.0 by the summer before my 4th year. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but my practice test scores are very promising. My questions are as follows:

1. What are any comments you may have about my low GPA? Would it be at all reasonable to explain myself or my institution?
2. I have an option of crunching my 3rd year and graduating early (taking ~1-2 more classes per semester). This would give me an additional year before applying (and taking the MCAT) and would give me the much-needed time to work/volunteer (something MIT schedules don't allocate for). Is it better to graduate early and work (with a possible lower GPA but higher MCAT + more experience), or stay all 4 years and take some interdisciplinary classes like psychology or my interest, theater arts... ending up with a GPA around 3.2-3.3?
3. All other factors constant, what is the impression that a student gives when he/she presents a GPA of 3.1 but an MCAT of 36+?

Thanks very much for the responses.
1) I'm sorry, but I think a 2.7 GPA will be a red flag to any adcomm no matter where you went to school. You are probably going to need to do some damage control (a post-bacc program or maybe a SMP) to get your GPA up into an acceptable range before you apply.

2) With a 2.7 GPA, you cannot afford to do ANYTHING that will make your GPA lower. Therefore, the early graduation idea is a very bad one. Note that even with a 3.2-3.3 GPA, your GPA will still be significantly below the average for nearly every medical school in the country. Two straight years of strong grades (junior and senior year) can only help you, but you should realize that your GPA may still be a liability to you. In addition, if you want to be a successful applicant to medical school, you *must* make the time to get clinical experience. Adcomms generally expect to see some kind of significant clinical experience as evidence toward your desire for a career in medicine, and to prove that you know something about the work that physicians do. Ask some of the other students at your school who manage to fit shadowing and volunteering into their schedules while still maintaining an acceptable GPA for advice on how you can do the same.

3) No one can answer this question definitively; it will depend on the individual school and on the rest of your application. I can tell you though that no one should count on getting a very high MCAT score in order to "make up" for a poor GPA. In other words, *both* GPA *and* MCAT are important, and you should attempt to raise both as high as you possibly can before you apply.

You have a lot of damage control to do, and you may need to take an extra year or two after college to make your academic record strong enough to apply as a competitive candidate. But if you want to do medicine badly enough, it isn't too late for you to turn things around. Good luck.

I am applying for medical schools right now. I would like to ask whether it will be considered early or late for most medical schools, if I submit all my secondaries along with letters of recommendations during the first week of September. Thank you!
Just submit them all as quickly as you can. A lot of schools are interviewing people by September and start accepting people by October, so you're going to be a little behind if you're just getting around to submitting your secondary in September.

I received a 30P on the MCAT last August (paper exam). It would seem fine, but my advisor was concerned about the break down: 12 Verbal, 10 Phys Sci, 8 Bio
My GPA is 3.7, so I think that is competitive enough.

I am currently applying to medical schools, so a retake would be pretty late. Is this going to be a large problem if I'm applying to 22 schools and most do not have especially high statistics ? (besides Mt. Sinai and University of Michigan, as I am a Michigan resident, but would love to go to school in an urban setting such as NY, hence the Mt. Sinai application.)
I would just apply and not retake the MCAT if I were you. Your stats are pretty average for medical school matriculants, and it sounds like you have a good spread of schools. Good luck.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have a question about whether or not I should continue with the application process for matriculation into medical school in 2008.

I made the decision to pursue medicine during my second year at a community college, where I knocked out all of my non-science pre-reqs. Since I had no idea what I wanted to do, I wasn't very motivated and did less than my best. I transferred to a four year university, and at the end of my second year (fourth year total in college) am one class short of having my degree (going to take care of that one in the fall along with some other classes to better prepare me for med school). At the time of application, my cumulative GPA was a 3.55 and my BCPM was a 3.62 (strong upward trend through all four years). Ive shadowed an ENT and a Plastic surgeon, with a rec letter coming from the ENT as well as three other people, two of which are science faculty. I have what I would call average volunteer hours (but hours in which I enjoyed what I was doing and learned alot).

The problem is this: I got a 26M on the MCAT (broken down into 10 VR, 8 PS, 8 BS, M). This was on the low end of my practice scores. I have identified ways in which I didnt study as effectively as I could have, and believe I had some things going against me on test day (two hour drive to be there at 7:30 AM). Im scheduled to retake 9th Aug under much better conditions, which puts my test score release around the 9th of Sept. Ive heard that the early bird gets the worm, and now Im wondering if I should abandon ship and wait until next year to reapply early. This would be unfortunate since I've already submitted my primary apps (applied to 12 schools, using MSAR as my guide). Im not one to just give up, but it would be a rediculous amount of money to apply this round and not get in and have to apply next year.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :).
Your GPA is not bad, but your MCAT is below average for matriculants to allopathic schools. I think it's good that you're retaking it. As for the timing, it's a tough call. You've already spent the money for your primaries, but you're going to be a very late applicant if you don't get new scores until September and then you take another month or two to get your secondaries done. I think if you decide to continue on, you should go ahead and start filling out the secondaries now so that you are ready to submit them to the schools the same day that you receive them. If you get all of your secondaries done in September, you'll still be kind of late (see my above post). But since you've already submitted your primary, it might be worth it in your case though so that you don't lose the money you spent on AMCAS. Good luck.

I was wondering what the adcom's have to say about the "additional information" section of secondary applications. Do you need to put something? Or is it just for people who need an opportunity to explain something on their application?

Each school may have a different way of looking at these sections. In general, it is a good idea to put something in there if you can think of something that isn't in your general essay. It is certainly not absolutely necessary, but leaving it blank may imply a lack of interest at some schools. It is a chance to add something that didn't quite fit into the other essay.

In other words, try to fill it in. You can get in without it, but it can usually only help you.

I am a premed student who just graduated with an English degree from a top 10 university. My science and non-science GPA are both around 3.76. My MCAT is 29 (VR: 8; Bio: 9; PS: 12). I have some clinical experience and research experience (no publication). I immigrated to US during high school. I plan to retake the MCAT during August this year. I am currently working on my primary application. I would like to ask your opinion on which medical schools I should consider applying. Could you give me some names and criteria I can use to select medical schools that I have a fair chance of being accepted? I am a California resident, but I went to college at a different state. Thank you very much!
We can't answer this question for you. I suggest that you obtain a copy of the MSAR and schedule a visit to your premedical advisor for help.

I am a recent graduate from Johns Hopkins; Biomedical Engineering major.

Overall AMCAS GPA: 3.26
BCPM GPA: 3.05
MCAT: 10 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS, S WS

My significant non-academic activities include volunteering in the community, volunteering at a free clinic, research work (one summer on the bench, with a publication, and three summers in modeling with two posters, with a possible patent application in the works), volunteering at Johns Hopkins Hospital with a stroke organization, shadowing physicians on an intermittent basis and so on and so forth. I don't believe this part of the application needs significant work, though I plan to continue the same type of activities in the coming years, especially with regards to even more clinical exposure.

As you can tell, the main issue with my application is my GPA (in particular, my sciences GPA). Much of the damage was done during my second year of undergrad, and I have a strong upward trend in my junior and senior years. What is the best way I can improve this within a reasonable amount of time (one or two years)?

With one year of post-bac work in the hard sciences, at best I can get that overall GPA up to ~3.4, and the BCPM GPA to ~3.3. How helpful would this be in terms of making my application more competitive in general? Would I be advised to retake the MCAT if I can achieve a 35+ to help bolster any post-bac performance?

If this isn't the best way to improve my application chances for the 2008-09 cycle, then what other options do I have? Thanks so much in advance, and I appreciate all of you giving the time and effort to respond to our questions.
You're talking about a fairly small rise in GPA from 3.3 to 3.4; I don't really know how significant that would be since you already have a couple of years of upward trend. Your MCAT is already at the average for allopathic matriculants, so I'm kind of loathe to suggest that you retake it. Most people don't go up 4+ points when they retake. I think you should make an appointment with your premedical advisor for help; we really can't answer this question.

I was reading Ryan Aycock's The Not So Short Introduction To Getting Into Medical School, and he mentions the unimportance of a particular undergrad major. According to him, most students probably major in various science subjects because it helps complete their pre-reqs.

I was wondering if majoring in a foreign language, such as Spanish, would increase the strength of an application. If things go as planned, I would have an associates in nursing (RN license), Linguistics and Spanish B.A., and various other certifications (i.e. EMT license, CNA, Telemetry Cert). If I succeed at the language, I'll be trilingual! (Korean being my secondary language). It was just a thought, and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Grades in key science classes are more important than overall major or minor. It is nice to be multi-lingual but this is not a highly distinguishing applicant characteristic. Neither your major field or your linguistic skills will, by themselves, make a major impact in your application. You should major in a foreign language if the language, literature, and culture associated with that language are things you wish to emphasize in your education and possibly in your career. You will likely be asked in interviews about why you chose that major and how it has affected and may affect your career. In my view, you should not pick a major primarily due to how it will affect your medical school application.

Hi!!! Thanks for your help. Can anyone please comment on the benefit of publications in the application process? I have a first author publication and two other publications including one in Nature. Will these help me at schools where my numbers are around average or a little lower (3.5 32), particularly at research oriented schools? Thanks again.

It won't hurt, that's for sure. But the degree to which it helps really depends on what you did, what you got out of the experience and how well you present it in the essays and interview. I recommend practicing answering the following questions:

1. "Explain what your role was in conducting the research."
2. "Explain in brief [they mean in less than about 2 minutes] what you were studying and what you found. Assume I know nothing about the topic [may or may not be true, don't assume they aren't an expert in it].
3. "Do you plan on continuing in research during your career?"

For MD/PhD types, they'll answer these over and over again, but even the MD-only folks who are emphasizing research in their applications need to have these questions down cold.

First of all, thank you guys so much for this forum and the participation of the adcoms. It has been invaluable in helping me to know the admissions process better. I was wondering if my questions about my current situation can be answered as well. I am a soon to be senior at Berkeley majoring in bio. To make a long story short, I was horribly indecisive and conflicted as to what my future career goals should be. This, along with the increasing difficulty of my classes negatively impacted my academics, and my cumulative GPA nosedived from an initial high of 3.39 to a current 2.94. Must of the low grades earned in this tmie were in my major classes, lower and upper division. After more than three months of shadowing two doctors this year, I finally decided on starting my path to medicine. For my extracurriculars, I have did some lab research in two labs with no publications, a three year stint as a volunteer instructor for local elementary schools, and interned at a nonprofit. I have no clinical experience, but do have over 50 hours of shadowing. I calculate that the max GPA I could get upon graduating is a 3.23. I have not yet taken the MCAt and plan to do so next year. I could expect to get largely average LORs from my classes I did do well, since they will be written by GSIs. My questions are:

What is the biggest weakness in my current stats, the lack of clinical experience or the GPA?

Assuming I get the highest GPA possible for me( a 3.23) and a high score(35+) on the MCAT, is it advisable for me to apply to med schools next year? Or is that still too early considering my stats?

If I do not apply next year, my options are to either apply to graduate school for genetics, work in biotech while doing part time volunteering, concentrate fully on clinical volunteering/work, or do a post bacc/SMP. In your opinion, what would be the course of action that would best strengthen my application? I am really conflicted about these four choices in their respectul tradeoffs (taking classes vs volunteering vs working etc.),especially since I have less than a year left before graduation.

Do adcoms put greater weight on SMPs than postbaccs in the admissions process?

Again, much thanks for this thread. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me.

Sorry, there are no general answers to questions as the role of GPA, activities, SMP's, post-baccs are all dependent on the applicant and their entire application. Similarly, it is not possible to answer hypotheticals about grades and scores not yet available.

Please refer to this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362758 for other student suggestions in this area.

Hey,

I have a quick question. My school offers two levels of Organic Chem. One is geared towards scientists/pre-meds and therefore is a bit harder, and one is just a general o-chem course. My question is, will med schools look more favorably at a student who got a B in the hard course, or an A in the easier course? I'm concerned some adcoms won't know that my school offered two different level courses and therefore it'll hurt my GPA without them realizing why.

As with any institution of higher education, the choice of classes depends on your career goals and your assessment of the education provided, your overall course load, etc. With regard to whether an adcom will know which is the harder organic chem class at your school, well, you could probably guess that unless the reviewer was an alum of that school, they probably wouldn't know that type of information. Even if they were, that doesn't mean they would consider it.

Sometimes adcoms might try to guess from the title of a class taken whether it was easy or hard. Classes entitled "Literary themes in ancient Greek poetry" sound harder than "Introduction to human sexuality", but more generally, we have no idea. Professors in their LOR may comment on the grade distribution in their course, but even that isn't very helpful.

Thank you for the reply. I apologize for posting it in the wrong section. However, there is one question that is bothering me and that is whether or not postgraduate research in clinical field is viewed upon more favorably by adcoms than research in other areas of the sciences. I ask this question because it seems an inordinate amount of people who get accepted often participated in clinical/medical research. Much thanks for any clarifications.

Not necessarily. It is what you learned from the research, how well you can explain it, and how you see the experience guiding your future interests that we are mostly interested in. For example, you can say that you learned that you don't want a career involving bench research. That is an important lesson to be learned. I suspect a lot of folks are accepted with clinical/medical research experiences because this is common among premeds. If you do research that is very distant from medicine, such as particle physics work, you may be asked why you chose that, but it wouldn't likely be held against you.

Just a general question here:

How important are the LORs? I have pretty average ones, but pretty high academic grades.

How do you know what your LORs say? LORs can have a significant beneficial effect if they are very strong especially if they provide information not otherwise available. They can be helpful if they explain a situation that occurred in the past related to the applicant. On occasion they can be a substantial negative factor as well.

When all of the letters are of the form:

X was in my freshman chemistry/biology class and finished in the top 10% of the class and received an A. S/he came to talk to me several times and I was impressed with his/her dedication to a medical career. S/he has participated in many community service activities at our school. I am certain s/he will be an excellent medical student.

it can make us wonder why the applicant never got to know a faculty member well enough to get a more meaningful letter.

I'm just wondering how bad my situation is.

I've taken courses at a community college and at a 4-year college.

Community college: I took 15 hours of college courses in high school that gave me a 3.2 GPA. Then I took an EMT course last semester where I got a B and an A in the lab. Overall, my GPA at this community college is a 3.2.

4-year college: First 4 semesters at went something like this: 3.3 - 3.4 - 2.9 - 3.3. Desperate to boost my GPA, I took a lot of courses the following summer and got a 3.8, and 3.8 the next two semesters. So my cumulative at this college is 3.56 and BCPM is 3.66.

Both colleges combined I have a 3.5 and 3.66 BCPM GPA. On the MCAT I scored a 30M (12 PS, 6 VR, 12 BS).

I started off being a business major, and then I switched to biochemistry. I owned a business the first two years of college. Aside from the business I worked 8 hours a week to help my mom out at her business. I've volunteered an average of 5 hours a week for the first 4 semesters at a hospital. I got EMT certified last semester and I've just started volunteering again a few hours a week this summer. Also, I've started working in a lab this summer. I probably have two good LORs and a decent one.

Okay, here come the questions:

What will adcoms think when they see my GPA? I know it's below average, but do upward trends mean anything? Are the college courses I took in high school going to bite me in the butt?

What do adcoms think when they see a 6 in verbal?

Most importantly, do I have a shot at this application cycle? I started my applications before I got my MCAT score, hoping I would score a little higher. Now I don't know if I should hold off on applying and start next year. In the meantime, I would retake the MCAT to improve my verbal and writing scores. However, I would love to just apply this year, because I already have my LORs and my PS written. Also, I wouldn't have to take a year off. Then again, I don't want to continue if I don't have a shot at being accepted anywhere.

Sorry to give you my life story. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, we are unable to answer these types of questions. See this post for more explanation.

I would be much interested in getting an idea of the background of your "typical" adcomm member. Now I know asking a question such as this will lead to as many variations as there are words in the English Language because often there is no such thing as a "typical" adcomm anymore than there is a "typical" physician... They come from all over with diverse talents.

But for the ones who participate in these forums, I guess it would be helpful for me to learn a bit about the backgrounds of the adcomms, admissions people, and other contributors.

Thanks in advance. Have a great year.
An adcomm has a variety of people on it, and its composition might differ a bit depending on the school. At my school, there is a mixture of physicians, researchers, and medical students along with some of the admissions staff like the Dean of Admissions. The interviewers here are members of the adcomm and will present the interviewee's file to the rest of the committee before the whole committee votes.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little unsure if this is the right place to do this, but here goes:

I'm a somewhat recent (2004) graduate of a small liberal arts college with degrees in chemistry and religion. I applied once unsuccessfully (2004) and decided to take some time off to improve my application. I applied this past year and I am happy to finally say that I will be attending medical school this fall. Since SDN has been such a great resource for me during college and both my application cycles, I'm here to help pre-meds, and in particular, re-applicants any way I can. I'm pretty much an open book, so barring any inappropriate personal questions, anything is fair game -- PMs are welcome! :)

I am curious how much negative impact attending as a half-time student for more than a year will have on my application.

I am at my junior applying. I have completed all the prerequisites. I have overall GPA of 3.86 and BCPM GPA of 3.9

However, during my freshmen year I took my last quarter off to have a time away from school. I had been taking random courses of no particular interest, was very unfocused and unsure what to pursue. During my sophomore year, I was enrolled as a half-time student and taking light load(while finishing my general chemistry req).

However, my decision pursue to medicine was solidified at the end of that year, and began giving full commitment to academics. My last two years since then I had been succesful in class while handling full load, and at the same time being involved in extracurricular activities and volunteering/researching.

Basically, (first two years of wandering + light course work) followed by (two years of full time commitment and excelling).

I would like to know, from the perspective of an adcom, how much negative impact the first two years of my record have on my application.

Sincerely appreciate your interest in helping

It's doubtful that most adcoms would be too concerned about the light course load itself. They will be more interested in how you explain the development of your academic interest and the way in which you have matured.

Dear SDN mentors,

I am a recent immigrant and came to this country around five years ago, so English is my second language. I was a biology and chemistry double major and just graduated from a state university with a 4.0 GPA. I had decent amount of extracurricular activities (shadowing physicians for a year, volunteering in ER for a year, resident assistant for 3 years, leadership positions in a student group for 4 years, research experiences for 2.5 years with 3 co-authored published papers, etc.) However, I took MCAT last August and got a 32P (PS:14, VR:6, BS:12). The low verbal score really really bothers me.
Given my situation, I would like to know if it is recommended to retake the MCAT again for this admission cycle. I have been practising reading and I was able to raise my verbal score to an average 8 (range 7-10) in the AAMC full-length practice exams. I don't know if this is a significant improvement from an adcom member's perspective. Any comments will be highly appreciated!

Sincerely,
PeaceDream

Normally I don't handle "should I retake the MCAT questions?" - Here is a thread in the MCAT forum in which you can get opnions. But I will make an exception here. Although in general a 6 in verbal should be retaken, I think you are the type of applicant that can be given a bit of a break by many (but not all) adcom members. The key is how well you come across in English. Many schools, especially state schools will likely consider offering you an interview if the other aspects of your application are consistent with the type of student they want to have. But, and this is very important, please have your communication and interview skills assessed by a humanities professor or your pre-professional counselor. You will likely be scrutinized carefully for these at the interview and it is crucial that you come across well. An accent isn't an issue, but if people have trouble understanding you it will.

This doesn't answer whether you should retake. An extra point or two in verbal would decrease the scrutiny of your verbal skills and clear a hurdle of some adcom members not wanting to interview someone with a 6 in verbal. But I don't think it will change that much at most schools. Only you can make that final choice.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have a few questions. Thanks for taking the time to read this!.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I got a MCAT score of 25N on may 31st mcats - 10PS 10BS and 5VR. Verbal is very low. .
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']GPA 3.75. Science GPA same. .
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I am planning to take another MCAT on aug.16th. Can I still submit the application to AMCAS with my May score pending the August score? Or should I wait till I receive my august score and then submit to AMCAS?.
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Also, I am an undergrad in one of the big 10 schools. In my first 2 years of undergrad I had a 4.0 gpa with calc, ochem, bio, all As. But in my junior year I got a BC and B in Physics and a B in Anthropology which brought my gpa to 3.75. Will medical schools look badly on a downward trend in my gpa in my junior year? .
1) My advice is to submit your AMCAS as early as you possibly can.

2) I don't think anyone can answer this definitively. A downward trend is not a good thing, but try to make a learning experience out of it and make sure you have a very strong senior year.

Hi,
I graduate from University of Florida. I have taken all the required classes for medical school. I work full-time now as a ER tech (EMT-B certi.)and worked as a Nurse tech during college. I will be going to colombia this summer to teach english and to work at a free clinic. Now the UGLY:(, my overall GPA is 3.0 and my SCI& math is 3.03. I havent taken the MCAT yet, just signed up for it for JAN. . In order to raise my GPA it would take over two year of 4.0 terms in a post-bac in order to get to 3.4-3.5 GPA. To improve my chance i was wondering if I should do a MS program in Biomedical Science, would this impress adcom if I were to keep a 3.7+ GPA? My state does not offer any SMP and I also would like to save the 15-20k on one of these programs. Could finishing a MS program improve my chance for next cycle(to say i have a good MCAT)? thanks in advance...
Sorry, but we can't answer SMP versus post-bacc questions. Contact your premed advisor for advice about this.

I have been accepted to Drexel IMS (SpecialMastersProgram) and Tulane's Genetics Masters programs (non-SMP). I have been advised to take graduate work to improve my resume. Drexel's program has medical school courses, but the class size is huge. Tulane's program has a tiny class size, but no medical school courses. I am leaning towards Tulane because I think I will get more personal attention and score better grades. Is it a mistake to choose a genetics masters over a semi-medical masters?
Sorry, we don't know about this one either. You should discuss it with your premedical advisor.

Hi, adcoms and everyone else,

I'd like to know how an adcom would view my application:

Biology major - small liberal-arts college
32S - PS08, BS10, VR14
3.67/BCPM3.61
GPA (for that year, not cumulative)
freshman: 3.62
sophomore: 3.56
junior: 3.8
one C (qualitative analysis (one hour chem lab)
three years younger than class

thanks in advance!
Sorry, we can't answer WAMC questions. See the WAMC thread and your premedical advisor for more help.

I have about a year and a half left of undergraduate and another year before I apply to medical school. As of now I have a strong upward trend in GPA (1 year 3.0's, 1 year 3.5's, 1 year 4.0= 3.6overall, 3.8BCPM) and I don't see it dropping below a 4.0 as I've become very dedicated to coursework and have not found upper level science courses to be frustrating. I plan on taking the MCAT in the coming months and studying a good deal for it. I know I will end up with acceptable numbers, but I'm just a little concerned about not being viewed by adcoms as a stellar/unusual/interesting applicant.

I've been working in a lab for over a year 10hrs/week, shadowing and interacting with docs/healthcare staff and local hospitals in a summer program, and have some club experience (boxing competitively for a year may be interesting??). I want to engage myself in more volunteering activities as I really have none right now, but I know I'll find them enjoyable and I realize their importance in showing willingness to serve others. I worry that while I have most of "standard" pre-med credentials, I won't really be able to present myself as a unique and interesting applicant.

Essentially, I'd like your opinion of whether or not someone who expresses themselves as an outgoing, personable, and dedicated individual, but may not have 10 published articles, scholarships, and tons of in-depth volunteer experience is still viewed as an interesting and acceptable candidate with potential.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing your opinion.
If you're asking whether you need to have certain ECs to impress the adcomm, the answer is no. Many successful applicants do not do research or save babies in third world countries while in college. All aspects of your application are important, including how you come across and how you comport yourself at your interview.

I was wondering if anyone can give some input. I have a 3.9 overall GPA and my mcat is 27R (Ps10, Vr8, Bio9). I have 200 hours of hospital volunteer/shadow experience. I also have research experience working for a lab with great letters of recommendation (esp. 1 from a doctor that I did research with). I am a Texas resident and my goal is to get into a texas medical school. What are my chances at any and with utmb especially? Thanks.

I'm sorry, but our mentors are not able to answer these types of posts. I would suggest asking in pre-allo:

Pre-allopathic: What are my Chances/Where to Apply?

I am currently writing secondary essays. With regard to the schools that only have one essay with the general "tell the admissions committee something about yourself" topic, would it be best to:
1. Write about a experiences that are not in depth in my personal statement. I have plenty.
OR
2. Would this be an appropriate place to discuss what I am doing with the year off (working for an NGO in Africa)?

In particular, I am looking at Baylor's app question: Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.
Thanks!

What you are doing with your year off is a major question in the mind of an adcom member who is reading your application. Using the space to answer that question is great and it is even more impressive that you are gaining some experience with an NGO in Africa.

Well I just apply to a Biomedical Science program to start next summer(FAll and Spring were full). If I can keep a 3.7+ Grad GPA, can this benefit my chance for next medical school cycle or do i have to wait till 2009 to apply.

Your application needs to show that you can do the academic work required in the first 2 years of medical school. The average medical school matriculant has an undergraduate gpa of >3.5. Will you be able to keep up with your classmates? Given your track record, the evidence is that you are not as strong academically. You need to have an application that provides recent evidence to the contrary. If you apply before that evidence is present in your application, then you may be rejected as lacking the academic chops to do well in medical school

I am a junior at the University of North Florida and just became a double major in biology and psychology, hoping to become a neuropsychiatrist or a psychiatrist. In my opinion, biology and psychology are intertwined and I think that I can learn more about psychology by taking biology and vice versa. I have contacted medical schools since my freshman year of college to ask questions about medical school in general. However, my GPA is not so good. Since I had to take general education courses for my first two years of college, I ended up getting a low GPA
(2.60). Also, my sophomore year was a confusing and horrible year for me and it affected my GPA. However, I have volunteered at a hospital since the spring semester of my junior year and love it. Also, I had to get a part-time job to pay bills. I am not interested in doing any research whatsoever. I am going to retake the science courses that I have received C's in and hoping that it will have some sort of affect on my GPA. Is retaking some classes going to help or hinder my GPA? Does the admissions committee look down upon applicants that do not have any research experience. Is there anything else that I should do to impress the medical school admissions committee? I really would like some positive feedback!!:scared:

I can't sugarcoat it; a poor gpa is often a stumbling block for admission to the allopathic medical schools. Retaking courses in which you earned a C won't help very much because both the first grade and the second will be included in calculations of your gpa. This means that even if you were to earn an As the second time the two grades would be included with brings your gpa for that work to a 3.0. Osteopathic schools substitute the second grade for the first which does make retaking couses worthwhile in terms of improving the gpa.

Some schools hope (or expect) students to be involved in research during medical school. Likewise, many residency and fellowship programs hope that residents and fellows ill be involved in some research. So, in those situations, being able to show that you have an interest in research is good. If you don't have that interest, there is no sense in faking it but it does mean that you should, perhaps, take a pass on those schools that put a big emphasis on medical student research (Yale is such a school; every student is expected to do a research project and a thesis).

I am a Canadian citizen, howver I was born and raised in the middle east. I never had any formal education in english until I started my current degree 3 years a go when I was 26.
I ended up with a 7 on the MCAT VR (10 PS,11BS). Will Adcoms take the fact that my english isn't my native language into consideration, or will they only see it as a lousy excuse.

Thank You

Yes, the 7 in VR may be explained by the fact that English is not your native language and that score might be viewed differently than it would be in a native speaker who has been educated in the US from birth. However, the more important question would be, "does a person who scores 7 in the VR section have what it takes to succeed at this medical school?" Schools are going to differ in how they answer that question based on past experience (for example, if past experience shows that students at that school who scored <x on the MCAT VR section are 4 times more likely to flunk out than those with VR scores =>x).

Hi, I just wanted to verify what my pre-med advisor told me. I did not do as well as I had hoped in the June 15th MCAT so I thought of retaking it this September while still applying for this cycle. However, my advisor told me that schools will probably set my application aside until my scores come out in October, which may be late for rolling admissions. Is this a greneral practice or is this school specific? Should I call the schools I'm interested to verify this? I want to know so I can decide whether I should retake the MCAT and apply this year or not. Thank you!

A faculty member at the school is likely to dedicate 30 minutes or more to the reading of your application. This time will not be spent until your application is complete. This means that if you've indicated that you are taking the September MCAT, the application will not be reviewed until the scores come in. Otherwise, it would be unfair to you to review and, perhaps, not recommend for interview without the information that would be provided by the MCAT retake. The school will not review, set aside until the scores come back, and review again as this is too time consuming. So, yes, your application will be at the bottom of the stack and reviewed long after the first offers of admission go out (usually in mid-late October) At some schools, applications submitted in the Fall aren't reviewed until December/January. Being late can hurt your chances of getting an interview and being admitted.

If you really think that you can't be admitted without retaking the MCAT, then perhaps you should postpone a year and be early in the next cycle rather than late in this one.

I just got my MCAT score for the June 15th test and except for my letters of recommendation, I'm ready to apply. It's July 20th though so I'm wondering if I would be better off waiting. My grades and MCAT score are good, but I'm non-traditional and don't have a lot of experience in the healthcare field.

If you have not yet completed the AMCAS application and had your transcripts verified, then yes, you are a little behind the wave of early applicants but not in a terrible place (historically, we tend to see strong non-trads a little later in the cycle in comparison to applicants who are currently college students). If you could get your AMCAS submitted by August 1 you might be doing OK. Not having a lot of experience in the healthcare field might be a problem... you need to be able to say that you have enough exposure to medicine as a career that you know what it is that you are getting into. Until you have that experience, you shouldn't jump into the pool.

I was wondering how admissions committees view the courseload of a student. Obviously they expect students to challenge themselves, but how many class over full time are expected? I know the credit system/course hours are different from school to school, but say for example that someone takes about a course above the minimum to be considered full time each semester. Would this be viewed as someone who can't handle the load of medical school classes? What about if the person was busy doing a few EC's, studying for the MCAT one semester, etc. Obviously adcomms are going to prefer someone who has taken a hard courseload and still managed to do all of these things, but is the preference so great that one should worry more about the number of courses rather than EC's (and possibly MCAT scores and grades)??

Without doing a lot of counting/adding, the adcom member sees only the number of credit hours per academic year on a table that shows BCPM, "all other" and total gpa by academic year along with the number of credit hours taken in each of those category each year. A light year (24 semesters hours) might raise an eyebrow, 32 credits hours would not and 36 credit hours would be considered admirable. On the other hand, signing up for a heavy load and then withdrawing might be a red flag; doing that more than once would certainly be a red flag. That's usuallly the extent to which an adcom member reading an application thinks about credit load.

Status
Not open for further replies.