Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
okay cool...at least it's no longer 106 degrees like this past week

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'll save the jeans for day 2 then:)

Meh... jeans and button down, khakis and button down -- it's all the same. I'm just wearing khakis because they're cooler -- temperature-wise, not-style wise.
But we do get our ID pictures the first day, so I would say the button down is a good idear.

Members don't see this ad :)
It says earlier in this thread that 17/18 med masters got into medical school. Anybody know how many med masters EVMS started with? What I am essentially asking is how many fail out or do not complete the program?

It says earlier in this thread that 17/18 med masters got into medical school. Anybody know how many med masters EVMS started with? What I am essentially asking is how many fail out or do not complete the program?

My understanding is if your performance is on par with the current M1 class, you get the chance to interview and stay. Not all make it, but a large percentage do stay on.

Med masters seems to be the way to go--your course load is cut nearly in half because you don't have the standard M1 classes--like anatomy and ITP.

3 didn't complete. the rest are in medical school.

For all who started this year, how are classes going for you?

For all who started this year, how are classes going for you?

So far classes have been ok. However, soon new classes such as physiology are going to start so I'm sure we will have a lot less free time in the future. The impression that I have gotten from the faculty so far is that they really want you to gain admission into EVMS and will try to help you out as much as possible.

They start you off easy with only two courses, they you have a "combined exam". Its only worth 10% of your grade and it involves portions from the two courses we've started as med masters. the MD's also have gross. They coordinated the courses as best they could for this first test so you're essentially learning the same material with different emphasis.

But they started piling it on this week.

They also made mandatory benchmarks for thesis drafts. This first draft is due December 15th, although you don't actually have scheduled credit hours until the second semester.

For all of you current EVMS Master's students!

This program is my #1, be all end all choice for SMP, and I was hoping you could give me some input on my stats!

When I apply I should have a 3.2 overall GPA, 3.1 science, 29R MCAT (10,10,9)

I'm an EMT
1 OChem paper published
I had a 1 year internship for an international hospital
Worked in a clinic abroad for 2 weeks

And jobs and whatnot.

What do you think? I'd really appreciate ANY input.

THANKS!

For all of you current EVMS Master's students!

This program is my #1, be all end all choice for SMP, and I was hoping you could give me some input on my stats!

When I apply I should have a 3.2 overall GPA, 3.1 science, 29R MCAT (10,10,9)

I'm an EMT
1 OChem paper published
I had a 1 year internship for an international hospital
Worked in a clinic abroad for 2 weeks

And jobs and whatnot.

What do you think? I'd really appreciate ANY input.

THANKS!

You seem like a good candidate for the program. Just make sure to apply early. I think they might even be taking applications now, but I am not positive. Either way I would say you have a good chance of being accepted.

You seem like a good candidate for the program. Just make sure to apply early. I think they might even be taking applications now, but I am not positive. Either way I would say you have a good chance of being accepted.

I got accepted with stats around those numbers. Applying early is key since there aren't a lot of seats in the program. If they're not accepting applications now, they will very soon. Email or call the admissions office. I sent in my application last year around this time and was complete with letters of rec by december/early January. I heard back from them in mid January, which is really early.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, gosh you're all so helpful! I had no idea that applications were already availiable because most other programs start accepting in January!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not taking my mcat until Jan, should I wait until I get those scores to apply or do it earlier? How big is each class?

I'm not taking my mcat until Jan, should I wait until I get those scores to apply or do it earlier? How big is each class?

Well you can apply early and tell them to put your application on hold until you get your MCAT score. But from looking at your MD applicants profile you might not need to apply to this program if you score a 30 or higher on your MCAT. This program is mostly for those with lower GPA's, but if you get an MCAT score of lower than a 30 I think applying to the program would be a good idea. Also, the class size is around 20 people.

Your GPA is good, especially your science GPA, it seems like it might be a wast of time/money to apply, because I would think you should be able to get into a medical school with those scores! :thumbup:

Wow, thanks guys! Good to know, well at least I know I have a fair chance at getting into evms if I can't pull out the mcat (the test I already have nightmares about)

Question! I'm from California so I know relatively little about this area of the country! How would one travel there to visit? Which airport? Is it best to fly in close or fly into a bigger airport and then train your way there? Thanks for any advice!

Also, in terms of the location. Could someone describe the Norfolk, Hampton area? It seems really nice, but I am just trying to get a feel for what its like to live there. Quiet, busy, urban, suburban...

Also, does anybody know for sure when they start taking applications? Thank you everyone!

Question! I'm from California so I know relatively little about this area of the country! How would one travel there to visit? Which airport? Is it best to fly in close or fly into a bigger airport and then train your way there? Thanks for any advice!

Also, in terms of the location. Could someone describe the Norfolk, Hampton area? It seems really nice, but I am just trying to get a feel for what its like to live there. Quiet, busy, urban, suburban...

Also, does anybody know for sure when they start taking applications? Thank you everyone!

Hello! I'm also from California, and I'm currently a med master's student. You'd want to fly into Norfolk International Airport (ORF). From CA, you'll probably transfer in Dallas, Washington, DC or Newark, NJ from my experience...the plane that takes you into Norfolk will be a small one. The airport is about a 15 minute drive from the school (from what I remember). I don't know if there is a train... It is definitely better to fly to this airport than to drive a few hours from the DC airport or another airport in VA, though I've never done that before. If you want to come visit the school, be sure to call Dr. Meyer or Ms. Solomon and they can probably arrange a tour or a meeting when you come. I did that when I visited in March. There is an exam tomorrow so I have to study haha...but PM me for more details and if you have any more questions :).

Oh yeah...last year, they started accepting applications around this time or maybe early November. Call the admissions office to ask.

man i am so depressed right now, just got my mcat score back and i got a 28. My gpa right now is a freaking 2.87. is there any chance i can get into evms now, i was scoring in the range of 32-37 on the aamc practice ones, but i just feel i got killed on this.

I am not taking the MCAT until May. Does EVMS allow youto apply like some other programs and just be on hold until your scores, or is May way too late?

I am not taking the MCAT until May. Does EVMS allow youto apply like some other programs and just be on hold until your scores, or is May way too late?

The application deadline for the Med Master's program is no later than April 1 prior to the beginning of the Fall semester. I'm fairly certain that all supporting information including MCAT scores need to be in before the deadline.

man i am so depressed right now, just got my mcat score back and i got a 28. My gpa right now is a freaking 2.87. is there any chance i can get into evms now, i was scoring in the range of 32-37 on the aamc practice ones, but i just feel i got killed on this.

asakkings -

You should call or e-mail the program director, Dr. Don Meyer, and discuss your situation with him. He will be able to give you a good idea if the program suits your situation. It is possible that you have enough other strengths that would make you a good candidate for the program.

I am currently in the program and would be happy to answer any questions you have...just pm me.

My app at EVMS was complete on October 15th. Any idea on when I should be hearing from them either way? Thanks.

My app at EVMS was complete on October 15th. Any idea on when I should be hearing from them either way? Thanks.

i'd say 2-3 weeks from your completion date, but it's extremely early so I'm not sure.

quick question: I want to apply to the EVMS smp program and was assuming I should wait until after this semester since I'm well on my way to getting close to a 4.0 for the semester, making my application that much stronger. Current GPA is 2.94, science gpa: 2.7, 30Q mcat, tons of ECs, etc

what do you all think? wait or apply asap?

thanks

are we able to send updates to EVMS admissions like if we retake the mcat or if we have a really good quarter and improve our gpa?

MikeMD -

If you think an awesome semester will make a huge difference in your application then just have everything ready to send in as soon as grades are finalized. You don't want to be waiting another couple of weeks for letters of recommendation and transcripts to be sent so I suggest that you go ahead and have any other transcripts ordered and letters of recommendation in the works. The admissions office will file and hold transcripts and letters that arrive before your application.

asakkings -

Yes, send in updates! It shows your interest and can only improve your chances.

so i'd REALLY like to get into this program at EVMS, but i don't think my chances are so good, what do you think?

MCAT: 23P (and 23 is their minimum :(:(:()
GPA: 3.26
Research in CT Lab
Tons of shadowing (Emergency Medicine & Pediatric Pulmonology)
Medical Work in Costa Rica
Volunteering in PACU, ER, ER Triage, Radiology, Pediatric ER, Pediatric Obesity Clinic, Pediatric Clinic, Child Care Center...other stuff i can't think of right now
Worked at a free clinic.
Worked in a Medical Clinic in Costa Rica

LOTS of experience in the healthcare field but not such great stats.

What do you think?

so i'd REALLY like to get into this program at EVMS, but i don't think my chances are so good, what do you think?

MCAT: 23P (and 23 is their minimum :(:(:()
GPA: 3.26
Research in CT Lab
Tons of shadowing (Emergency Medicine & Pediatric Pulmonology)
Medical Work in Costa Rica
Volunteering in PACU, ER, ER Triage, Radiology, Pediatric ER, Pediatric Obesity Clinic, Pediatric Clinic, Child Care Center...other stuff i can't think of right now
Worked at a free clinic.
Worked in a Medical Clinic in Costa Rica

LOTS of experience in the healthcare field but not such great stats.

What do you think?

the GPA is fine...the program is for students with lower GPAs and higher MCAT score...so I would retake the exam to get it to a more competitive value (for the EVMS program and especially for medical school applications). Call the admissions office to ask for advice too.

Two questions about the Med Masters program at EVMS:

1.) Is there a preference for in-staters to get into this SMP program as there is with the M.D. program itself?

2.) Can you apply by the April 1 deadline without having finished the second semester of pre-reqs yet, then finish them up around May 1 and compete for spots on the waitlist when your file is complete?

Two questions about the Med Masters program at EVMS:

1.) Is there a preference for in-staters to get into this SMP program as there is with the M.D. program itself?

2.) Can you apply by the April 1 deadline without having finished the second semester of pre-reqs yet, then finish them up around May 1 and compete for spots on the waitlist when your file is complete?

I don't think there is a preference...I'm from California. There are a couple of us as well as people from other states. I don't know about the second question. Call the admissions office and ask.

from the what you guys have wrote about applying, I assume that the admissions is rolling?

it is rolling like most SMPs I know of, but there is a lot of turnover and movement on the waiting list since people get into other programs or into medical school. even though it is early in the application period, it is still best to get your application in, complete with letters of rec and transcripts, as soon as possible.

Are you guys saying that admissions for the 2008-2009 SMP have already started?

I don't think acceptances are sent out this early but they are definitely accepting applications.

I don't think acceptances are sent out this early but they are definitely accepting applications.
i spoke to someone in the admissions office today...she told me that they will start reviewing applications december-ish

for people that have been accepted to EVMS previously or know much about the program: any tips for writing the Personal Statement as far as what they might be looking for,etc? Is this basically the same as the AMCAS personal statement?

Thakns!

for people that have been accepted to EVMS previously or know much about the program: any tips for writing the Personal Statement as far as what they might be looking for,etc? Is this basically the same as the AMCAS personal statement?

Thakns!

Ditto for me too...

The personal statement requirement for the application last year specifically states for you "to explain your career goals and why you want to attend the EVMS Medical Master's Program." You should not use the same personal statement as the one for the AMCAS application. You should explain how you think the program may be of benefit to you in order to get to your ultimate goal...medical school....physician, etc. They are looking for students whom they feel will do well in a medical school environment but for some reason have less than stellar applications....some may lack medical/clinical exposure, a semester or two of bad grades, etc.

In an attempt to procrastinate, I have responded to some of the concerns circulating on the board...

I wrote a separate essay for their prompt, a little over a page I think. I included a copy of my AMCAS and some other tidbits like random essays I wrote for other secondaries and my research experience. I believe I applied in late January and I heard back in a little over 2 weeks. I think I got accepted on some random hoilday in Feburary. The envelope comes from the Office of Research and is Fedex'd over night and you have to sign for it (I was unfortunately at a basketball game when it arrived so I had to wait a few days because of the weekend/hoilday, man that was agonizing)

As far as out of staters go, there are 4 of us from California, 1 from Michigan, 1 from Penn, 1 from Ohio, 3 from New York, and I think the rest are from Virginia. There are 23 of us in the program this year and the program has been increasing in size ever since it started. I'm from California and I know someone had mentioned their concerns about coming out to VA. It is definitely different but its not too bad at all. I can think of a lot worst places to be in. Once you're in the program, I dont think they care what state you're from as far as MD admissions go.

In terms of admissions into the program, I have a good MCAT score (all double digits in each section), a terrible GPA < 3.0, fantastic rec letters, and even better extra curriculars. They really do look at your total application here so try and highlight your strengths and show that you have grown from your deficiencies. For me, I was too busy trying to save the world to go to class hence the poor GPA. The program director said they do notice where you went to school (ie a 2.9 from Stanford means you're mentally inept whereas a 2.9 from Berkeley means you just got owned by the curve a lot).

The program mission is simple, if you do well and dont polarize yourself, you'll get in. Essentially, to quote one of our professors, you have a spot waiting for you in the med class and its only yours to lose. That being said, if you work hard and put in the time, you will do well. Its simple physics. The M1s have about 15 hours of more class than us per week (Anatomy and Introduction to the patient) so our afternoons are free to study study study. Everyone here is really on our side and only hope the best for us. M1s actually ask us for help a lot of the time.

As for my typical schedule, I usually wake up in time for morning class, which is, at the very earliest, 9AM, go to class, and then proceed to study till at least 12-1AM everyday. I dont know what weekends are anymore because most of our exams are on Mondays. I think my study habbits are a bit on the extreme edge for our class but I dont think many of them will stray far from my numbers.

Being from a large ridiculously competitive public school, this program is definitely a change in pace for me. Its a private school and they really go out of their way to take care of you. The grading system is mind boggling. To be absolutely safe, we should do at least .5-1 SDs above the M1 average. Averages are in the 80%'s for most exams which is something I still havent gotten used to it.

As far as how this program compares to others, I think this was perfect for me. My thought process was I want an MD, anywhere except the Caribbean. EVMS really places an emphasis on how you do here and not how you've done in the past. I feel like the other programs out there (ie Georgetown, BU, RFU, etc) cant really do that because they're so large and this is reflected in the large number of people that complete those programs that dont end up going there. EVMS is the best bet if you have a questionable GPA like mine and dont want a lag year. There are a good number of people from the Georgetown SMP here and all of the ones I've talked to really think this program is better; primarily because if you end up going here, M1 is a breeeze! Its like med school on the 5 year plan. I might be mistaken but I dont think the other programs let you do that to the degree EVMS lets us. I believe you pass out of all the classes you high pass or above. Some students elect to take classes over to get that honors, esp in physio.

There are people interviewing all over the place. Thus far, I've heard of people interviewing at VCU, GW, UC (Cinci), and the California DO schools.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out in whatever spare time I have...

In an attempt to procrastinate, I have responded to some of the concerns circulating on the board...

I wrote a separate essay for their prompt, a little over a page I think. I included a copy of my AMCAS and some other tidbits like random essays I wrote for other secondaries and my research experience. I believe I applied in late January and I heard back in a little over 2 weeks. I think I got accepted on some random hoilday in Feburary. The envelope comes from the Office of Research and is Fedex'd over night and you have to sign for it (I was unfortunately at a basketball game when it arrived so I had to wait a few days because of the weekend/hoilday, man that was agonizing)

As far as out of staters go, there are 4 of us from California, 1 from Michigan, 1 from Penn, 1 from Ohio, 3 from New York, and I think the rest are from Virginia. There are 23 of us in the program this year and the program has been increasing in size ever since it started. I'm from California and I know someone had mentioned their concerns about coming out to VA. It is definitely different but its not too bad at all. I can think of a lot worst places to be in. Once you're in the program, I dont think they care what state you're from as far as MD admissions go.

In terms of admissions into the program, I have a good MCAT score (all double digits in each section), a terrible GPA < 3.0, fantastic rec letters, and even better extra curriculars. They really do look at your total application here so try and highlight your strengths and show that you have grown from your deficiencies. For me, I was too busy trying to save the world to go to class hence the poor GPA. The program director said they do notice where you went to school (ie a 2.9 from Stanford means you're mentally inept whereas a 2.9 from Berkeley means you just got owned by the curve a lot).

The program mission is simple, if you do well and dont polarize yourself, you'll get in. Essentially, to quote one of our professors, you have a spot waiting for you in the med class and its only yours to lose. That being said, if you work hard and put in the time, you will do well. Its simple physics. The M1s have about 15 hours of more class than us per week (Anatomy and Introduction to the patient) so our afternoons are free to study study study. Everyone here is really on our side and only hope the best for us. M1s actually ask us for help a lot of the time.

As for my typical schedule, I usually wake up in time for morning class, which is, at the very earliest, 9AM, go to class, and then proceed to study till at least 12-1AM everyday. I dont know what weekends are anymore because most of our exams are on Mondays. I think my study habbits are a bit on the extreme edge for our class but I dont think many of them will stray far from my numbers.

Being from a large ridiculously competitive public school, this program is definitely a change in pace for me. Its a private school and they really go out of their way to take care of you. The grading system is mind boggling. To be absolutely safe, we should do at least .5-1 SDs above the M1 average. Averages are in the 80%'s for most exams which is something I still havent gotten used to it.

As far as how this program compares to others, I think this was perfect for me. My thought process was I want an MD, anywhere except the Caribbean. EVMS really places an emphasis on how you do here and not how you've done in the past. I feel like the other programs out there (ie Georgetown, BU, RFU, etc) cant really do that because they're so large and this is reflected in the large number of people that complete those programs that dont end up going there. EVMS is the best bet if you have a questionable GPA like mine and dont want a lag year. There are a good number of people from the Georgetown SMP here and all of the ones I've talked to really think this program is better; primarily because if you end up going here, M1 is a breeeze! Its like med school on the 5 year plan. I might be mistaken but I dont think the other programs let you do that to the degree EVMS lets us. I believe you pass out of all the classes you high pass or above. Some students elect to take classes over to get that honors, esp in physio.

There are people interviewing all over the place. Thus far, I've heard of people interviewing at VCU, GW, UC (Cinci), and the California DO schools.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out in whatever spare time I have...
great info, thanks! im from cali as well, im really keeping my fingers crossed for evms. :)

Hey vahe99, I noticed you went to UCR and were a FIJI. I went to UCR and was an ATO. What's your name? If you don't want to post it just PM me it. I did the Med Masters program in 2006 and am currently a M1.

Hey vahe99, I noticed you went to UCR and were a FIJI. I went to UCR and was an ATO. What's your name? If you don't want to post it just PM me it. I did the Med Masters program in 2006 and am currently a M1.
PMed :)

The program mission is simple, if you do well and dont polarize yourself, you'll get in.

Thanks for the great info. I understand the doing well part, but could you please explain what you mean by "don't polarize yourself"

I agree with what Blindkutha said about the program. We can test out of all classes with the exception of Embryology, since it is considered part of Anatomy, and only the med students have that class. Everyone here is really supportive and more close-knit than at a much larger school such as Georgetown.

For my application, I kept my medical school personal statement the same for the most part, and tailored the concluding paragraph to why I wanted to do an SMP and why I wanted to do it at EVMS specifically. I asked my letter writers to write a letter of rec specifically for the program as well.

For the graduate program, we are graded on a percentage/letter grade scale. The Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail scale is used to see if we can pass out of classes if we are accepted and choose to attend EVMS for medical school.

man i love EVMS med masters program so much but unfortunately i dont think i will be accepted but i will try non the less.