Pros and Cons of your DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that depends on whether Touro has a board prep course built into their curriculum and how much time they give you for board prep. UNE gave less than a month with the NBOME original schedule and dates filled up quickly. Some students were forced to take boards with less than 2 weeks of study time because it was the only test date they could get.

Members don't see this ad.

Mandatory attendance is the stupidest policy that Touro has. Luckily, my class got away with it since we were in the first class & no one really knew what policies were being implemented (something that, unfortunately, still happens 4 years later).

The fact that the administration does not turn off the internet during class hours is a testament that they force students to go to class out of an inflated sense of ego rather than truly caring about what the students learn & how well they do (since so many people are on IM or playing games online)

Having been taught for 4 years to treat each patient as a unique individual (even more so perhaps in DO schools) it is ironic that the school has a catch-all policy of Everybody does better when they go to class.

I can see going to class for CS class (with docs from the community giving their time to give us lectures) but the in house faculty should just load the lectures on to the website & plan on seeing us on test day. If the lectures are prepared well (and the Neuro, Histo, Immuno, Anatomy & to some extent Biochem are) then there should be no need for the instructors to add anything. If students have Qs they can post on the school's bulletin board or e-mail the teachers (they are very good about replying back in a timely manner)

Even though the teachers voted (although I do not know what % was for it) for an attendance policy 2 years ago, quite a few have since changed their minds after seeing the class averages drop significantly. The administration spin on this is "Less people are failing" BUT they do not tell you if the number of A's or B's has dropped (and based on conversations with the teachers.....it has)

Bottom line...get some good ear plugs, take notes in class (at your own pace) & don't party too hard :D

Anyone feeling adventurous? Your input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone feeling adventurous? Your input is much appreciated!

I second! We know that you are really, really busy, but if anyone has time, I'm sure many people would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Touro: the 2,000 dollar deposit acceptance fee says a lot about what the school cares most about. Over the last few years: 2 Dean/CEOs have been fired, the clinical medical director recently left, 2 student affairs associate deans have quit/left....

Before considering going to this school get IN WRITING the graduation and comlex pass rates.

Boards: Faculty state they do not teach towards the boards and you have about a month after finishing your 2nd year final exams before you take the comlex 1. If you don't pass the comlex you need to come up with your own "plan to pass the comlex" or they may offer taking the first two years of med school over again. "Touro is contracted to only provide the first two years of med school and the comlex is the student's responsibility." Keep in mind the school still gets all your tuition regardless of whether you pass the comlex so pretty much you are on your own while the school turns its back on you.

Faculty: Faculty at TUCOM are good and seem to care about students. 10 hours a day listening to lectures via powerpoint in a lecture hall with 150 other students is the bulk of most classes along with piles of handouts you pickup.

Rotations: Are ok as long as the rotation manager doesn't overbook the rotation. I was put on a rotation with 5 students and 1 preceptor. I was told having just 4 face to face meetings with your preceptor is all you need to make an impression.

Curriculum: C - inflexible; passively delivered in 10 hour powerpoint lectures,
Cost: C
Financial Aid: B
Faculty: B+
Technology: B
Study Space/Library: C-
Library technology/Resources: C
Rotations: C
Social: A
Hospitals: None

Touro: the 2,000 dollar deposit acceptance fee says a lot about what the school cares most about. Over the last few years: 2 Dean/CEOs have been fired, the clinical medical director recently left, 2 student affairs associate deans have quit/left....

Before considering going to this school get IN WRITING the graduation and comlex pass rates.

Boards: Faculty state they do not teach towards the boards and you have about a month after finishing your 2nd year final exams before you take the comlex 1. If you don't pass the comlex you need to come up with your own "plan to pass the comlex" or they may offer taking the first two years of med school over again. "Touro is contracted to only provide the first two years of med school and the comlex is the student's responsibility." Keep in mind the school still gets all your tuition regardless of whether you pass the comlex so pretty much you are on your own while the school turns its back on you.

Faculty: Faculty at TUCOM are good and seem to care about students. 10 hours a day listening to lectures via powerpoint in a lecture hall with 150 other students is the bulk of most classes along with piles of handouts you pickup.

Rotations: Are ok as long as the rotation manager doesn't overbook the rotation. I was put on a rotation with 5 students and 1 preceptor. I was told having just 4 face to face meetings with your preceptor is all you need to make an impression.

Curriculum: C - inflexible; passively delivered in 10 hour powerpoint lectures,
Cost: C
Financial Aid: B
Faculty: B+
Study Space/Library: C-
Library technology/Resources: C
Rotations: C
Social: A
Hospitals: None

Which TUCOM is this for? I assume CA?

Which TUCOM is this for? I assume CA?
It cannot be Touro in CA, because they don't have lecture for 10 hours long in a day. Nobody has been fired nor left the school. I assume this is the one in NY.

Nobody has been fired nor left the school. I assume this is the one in NY.

What? Do you have any idea how man faculty & deans have left?

That definitely is Touro-CA. The revolving door faculty DO school.

I can say this. I'm a 4th year. I've seen more faculty come and go in those 4 years than I thought possible.

bth

The comments about Dean Gimple were completely sincere. I really hope he will do some good for UNE. The previous dean didn't do us any favors, nor is the new president of the college (she came in 2006). But he'll have one heck of an uphill fight.

I heard she is almost single handedly trying to tear UNE apart. I hope the new Dean can put up with her.

GA-PCOM

Pros:
-DO schools in the south is a great idea. Time to expand the science to the parts of the country that were long off-limits places by the great MD-DO cold war.
-I'm from the south so I can be a DO student without having to move far from the southeast.

Cons:
-no one created any new residency slots in this area. Brilliant. And now the MD schools are increasing class size. Awesome. So now what? We all are sticking our peckers in the same sized pot, except guess what? More peckers.
- So I was excited to be close to home, now I'll probably end up with a residency spot in Alaska. I'll be like that Paul Walker sled dog movie, except with a stethoscope.
...Oh, and also ugly.

when we says Tution fees is like ~35K is that just the tution fees per yr or
it included other expenses like living,housing,books etc..

What? Do you have any idea how man faculty & deans have left?

That definitely is Touro-CA. The revolving door faculty DO school.

I can say this. I'm a 4th year. I've seen more faculty come and go in those 4 years than I thought possible.

bth
I don't think the 10 hours mandatory lecture is true though. Plus we have TBL besides lectures and labs. Can you please give us your assessment on this school?

. I'll be like that Paul Walker sled dog movie, except with a stethoscope.
...Oh, and also ugly.

ROFLMAO. If it makes you feel any better ... even though he may be better looking, there is a 99% chance that you are a better actor.

Members don't see this ad :)
GA-PCOM

Pros:
-DO schools in the south is a great idea. Time to expand the science to the parts of the country that were long off-limits places by the great MD-DO cold war.
-I'm from the south so I can be a DO student without having to move far from the southeast.

Cons:
-no one created any new residency slots in this area. Brilliant. And now the MD schools are increasing class size. Awesome. So now what? We all are sticking our peckers in the same sized pot, except guess what? More peckers.
- So I was excited to be close to home, now I'll probably end up with a residency spot in Alaska. I'll be like that Paul Walker sled dog movie, except with a stethoscope.
...Oh, and also ugly.

I applied there this cycle. Does the school look ugly or just the area around it? Their website doesn't give much view of the campus. How do you feel about the class size? Is there any advantage to it?

I am a first year at GA-PCOM right now, and I like it.

The professors are outstanding. They are some of the best teachers I've ever had, and I basically went through college twice.

The thing I don't like is the computers in the library are insanely slow. I don't know why this is, but it takes almost 10 minutes to log in if you want to check your e-mail or something. But the whole place is wireless, so just bring your notebook.

The area around the school is fine. No complaints at all. I wouldn't say it is ugly by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't say its beautiful either. Its just a normal area. Pretty convenient to grocery stores, wal-mart, places to eat, and so-on. And easy access to the city.

The facility is nice. Everything is clean and new. The library is quiet and they have nice tables and stuff. It is a huge building that is way more than the school actually needs for what they are currently doing there. I believe they are adding a pharm school or a nursing school or something in the next few years.

I think the small class size is a plus, although I have nothing to compare it to.

Let's see...

Tons of books available online. Profs are pretty accessible so far. Anatomy lab is very nice. All lectures available on DVD and for download at the library.

So far, so good.

andex.

PCOM is one of the best osteopathic schools in the country with an equally rich history. I doubt they will screw you. Also, good luck having the MD peckers in your A-OA hole...

If it gets that tight (which i doubt it will) you always have AOA residency spots.

I guess some more first-year responses wouldn't hurt.

LECOM-Bradenton

Pros:
There are many things that I could say about this school that are just outstanding. First of all, the faculty are awesome. They are always willing to "answer" a question and help out when you are stuck or lost, provided you have put forth some effort into finding out the answer on your own. They are readily available both during lecture time as well as during office hours times. They respond to e-mails at a rapid pace and, should information be provided to one student that might be pertinent, they waste no time in forwarding the email out to the class just for clarification. Secondly, the facility is beautiful. The PBL Rooms are almost always open, even during normal school hours, and are available for small to medium sized groups to go in and use to their hearts content. Each room has one large and one small white board with 4 different colored markers. The rooms are nearly sound proof, and it's almost impossible to hear anything that is going on in any room around you. Next, the security is amazing. I cannot tell you how many times I've left my books, computer, and Zune lying out in a PBL room or the Cafeteria while I leave and go off campus for 1 to 2 hours and eat and run errands. There have been no thefts in the school's history (to my knowledge), and cameras litter the building so that you could find the culprit easily if one were to happen upon your belongings. Lastly, the area is brand new and growing. There are 2 Publix's (Grocery stores) within 1 mile of the school, and tons of affordable living spaces all around. The traffic is never unbearable, although the lights can become unfortunate from time to time.

This paragraph is dedicated to PBL. Problem-Based Learning rocks and rocks. I cannot get into all of the logistics of how PBL works, but basically it forces you to learn what works. Even after two PBL classes you will start to hear people say "I was a bit uneasy about PBL at first, but now I see how it works.. and I like it." Everyone who puts in the appropriate study time and effort will go into their PBL sessions and understand a good portion of the material discussed that day. Whenever information arises that you don't understand, the group is always there to provide you with an explanation or a book and page number for you to have so that you can read up on it later. It may seem overwhelming, but it isn't. I wish I could explain this more, but I am a bit pressed for time. If you'd like an explanation, please PM me.

Cons:
The cons, for me, are few and far between, but are important in assessing the true value of the school. First of all, the Cafeteria is a bit small for the number of people on campus. On any given day there could be upwards of 500+ people looking for a place to get food and sit for lunch (two Medical school classes and two Pharmacy school classes). It can be a bit burdensome when people try and sit with one another and relax after a "fun" day of lectures. This extends into the parking lot. If you do not get to school early (before 730AM), expect to have a parking spot none to close to the entrance of the building. This can be burdensome to some, especially with the number of books you will be luging from your car to school and back again every day. The last bad point I have is the scheduling of classes and lectures. Sometimes they seem to be inappropriately placed or unneeded altogether. The most disappointing schedule we have thus far is the fact that we have to attend PBL once a week during our 10-week Anatomy course. It's disappointing that we cannot devote more time to PBL, and I find myself devoting very little time and energy to my PBL readings because of the black hole that is Anatomy/Histology. When it ends, however, I am sure I will feel a lot better about the situation.

Misconceptions:
The big "problems" non-students have about this school is the dress-code, mandatory attendance, and the food rule. First of all, the dress code is not bad at all. Girls can wear just about anything and call it business attire, and guys are required to look nice with a shirt and tie. You can roll up your sleeves any time during the day, and, on top of that, the dress code only applies until 5:00 PM. After that you can run home and change, or take off your tie and unbutton your top two buttons. It's really not that bad at all. Sometimes it can get a bit obnoxious in the morning, but it's so miniscule in the scheme of life during medical school that complaining about dressing up and looking nice is a waste of time. Also, on days of OMM, you are allowed to walk around the building in your OMM attire all day, which is a T-shirt and your OMM shorts/sweatpants. This occurs EVERY THURSDAY (for first-years). The mandatory attendance policy is also not as bad as you might think. There aren't a lot of lectures in the first place (although during Anatomy there are), so mandating that you come to school for 2 or 3 hours a day for lectures, and another 2 or 3 hours for labs really is not a problem. There are always quiet places to study and places to relax during your off-time. Also, if you're pulling out $40k+ of loans per year, you might as well get some of your money's worth in attending a few lectures here and there. The last problem that I heard is the fact that you cannot eat or drink anywhere but in the Student Loung (aka, Cafeteria). This SOUNDS annoying, but it really is actually very nice. Countless times I will be studying in an empty PBL room and need a coffee or a bottle of water and head downstairs to drink it with my friends. When I get there, I am "forced" to take a mental break, relax, and give my brain a chance to reset before I continue studying some more. If I wish, I could take a textbook with me into the lounge and read while I drink. Either way, it is not an inconvenience at all.

I wish I had more solid points to give, but I am a bit pressed for time. Our second Anatomy exam is Monday and we have more information than my brain wishes to process at this time.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
I was thinking about adding my opinions to this as well, and since BCL did, I guess I have to too...

First off, I'll just second everything BCL said above. He's 100% right about everything.

Curriculum: PBL can either be done well or badly. LECOM-B does it right. It's an amazing way to learn and, from what I've heard, everyone is very happy with their facilitators. We're just at the beginning of PBL, but I really like it so far, and their system obviously works based on the board scores of LECOM-B students.

Anatomy is rough, but we'll survive it. We're all a little overwhelmed having Anatomy/Histology, Clinical Exam, PBL, and OMM all at the same time, but that's the nature of the beast. I wish there were some way to incorporate the anatomy/histo into PBL, but I just don't think it's possible. That being said, our lecturers are VERY VERY good, and having the prosections available to us 6:30am - 11pm is awesome. We can go into the lab and dig around in the cadavers any time the building is open. You can dissect between 1st and 2nd year, for those that want to...

I would be in favor of waiting to start OMM and/or Clinical Exam until Anatomy is over, but I don't think that would ever happen...

In defense of having PBL during anatomy, I would just like to say that my facilitator and group have been very lenient thus far about picking learning issues that relate closely to the anatomy we are studying. So, most of my PBL reading has doubled up with my anatomy reading. For now...that's starting to change...

Location: This place is awesome. I can not explain it any other way. Great beaches, cheap housing, great weather, minimal crime, hardly any traffic to speak of...There are some good bars within a 5-20 minute drive of campus, if you're into that sort of thing. Tampa is less than 1 hour away if you want big city life. Lots of concerts come to the area, as well as good sports teams. Did I mention that every day is gorgeous?

Cost: Pretty cheap for a med school. Housing is fairly cheap as well. I have a huge 4 bedroom house with a heated pool for 1400/mo.

Faculty: So far, I have found all the faculty to be exceptional. All are friendly (although they may not appear so at first) and all are very good lecturers. See BCL's post for some good faculty info. They do like you to find your own answers, but they'll point you in the right direction if you're really lost. If the answer is in the book, they'll say, "did you look in your book?" That kinda thing. And they're right. Good powerpoints.

Reputation: New school, but reputation is growing every year. 1st class didn't do so hot on Step 1. 2nd class rocked it and was 2nd in the nation. 3rd class rocked it and is likely going to be 1st or 2nd in the country again. Obviously they're doing something right. 1st class got had a very strong match, despite the lower board scores and being the first class at a new school.

Study areas: We've got one big, pretty building. Many people study in the quiet of the library, but I prefer a PBL room, which are usually open, so far. Others study in the two empty lecture halls, in the anatomy lab, or in the cafeteria. My house is 1.5 minutes from school, so I study there too. I've heard of people studying in local coffee shops and restaurants, and at the beach too!

Social scene: The Class of 2012 Rocks! Many of us have become very close friends and hang out regularly. The area right around school isn't too "happening" but Downtown Sarasota and Tampa are good spots for nightlife.

Other Stuff:

Dress Code: There is a dress code. It's not a big deal. The school is kept fairly chilly, so you won't be hot in your long pants and long sleeve shirt. Many people bring sweaters/jackets. See BCL's post above for more info.

Security: You get an ID card and you MUST swipe it each time you enter or exit the building. Also not a big deal, and good prep for when you have to work at a hospital and do the exact same thing. Also keeps out the riff raff. Visitors are allowed, but you must fill out a form.

Parking: Gets a little crowded, but even the furthest spot is <100 yards so...not a big deal.

Food and Drink: Only in the caffeteria. I thought I would hate this, but as BCL said, it forces you to take a break every so often and go get some water. Good for the brain. Also the couple that runs the caffeteria are extremely nice and make excellent food. Their Red Pepper & Gouda Soup is particularly awesome. No credit cards though, so you have to bring cash. If you forget, they'll give you a tab. Also, it's pretty cheap most days. I got pizza and a large soda for $3 the other day.

Attendance: I haven't even noticed. Lecture is a couple hours a day for the first 10 weeks. Big deal. You MUST attend Anatomy Lab and OMM Lab...but that's standard at pretty much every school...If you don't want to listen to the lecture, then you don't have to and you're welcome to study right through it...that's your business.

My only complaint in this area is the few "required events" we have to attend. Every so often they send out an email that informs us of a new event we're required to attend...but I expect this to dwindle as we get further into school. It's mostly been orientation-type things.

Admin: Don't Cheat. Don't Be Late. Follow The Rules. Do this and you and the admin will get along just fine. As with most schools, there have been issues in the past, and cheating is not tolerated. Don't come here if you can't keep your eyes off contraband material. Also, don't come here if you have a problem with any of the rules. You have to dress up. Period. Deal with it...it's not that bad. Anatomy is much worse...lol.

Rumors: This may be standard at every school, but for some reason, LECOM-B has a problem with students spreading rumors like wildfire. These can range from, "Dr. ___ said that Chapter 14 wasn't on the test" to "pssst...I heard that ____ has a copy of an old anatomy exam." Usually these rumors are just that...RUMORS, so take everything you hear from other students with a grain of salt.

Report Card

Curriculum: A
Cost: A+
Financial Aid: A
Faculty: A
Study Space/Library: B
Library technology/Resources: B
Rotations: ?
Social: ?
Hospitals: ?
Post Grad: ?
Cafeteria Food: A
Cafeteria Prices: A

Overall Grade: A-

I am a first year at GA-PCOM right now, and I like it.

The professors are outstanding. They are some of the best teachers I've ever had, and I basically went through college twice.

The thing I don't like is the computers in the library are insanely slow. I don't know why this is, but it takes almost 10 minutes to log in if you want to check your e-mail or something. But the whole place is wireless, so just bring your notebook.

The area around the school is fine. No complaints at all. I wouldn't say it is ugly by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't say its beautiful either. Its just a normal area. Pretty convenient to grocery stores, wal-mart, places to eat, and so-on. And easy access to the city.

The facility is nice. Everything is clean and new. The library is quiet and they have nice tables and stuff. It is a huge building that is way more than the school actually needs for what they are currently doing there. I believe they are adding a pharm school or a nursing school or something in the next few years.

I think the small class size is a plus, although I have nothing to compare it to.

Let's see...

Tons of books available online. Profs are pretty accessible so far. Anatomy lab is very nice. All lectures available on DVD and for download at the library.

So far, so good.

Cool. Thanks for the review. One more question, do you go to class every day? I'm more of a self-study guy.Thanks!

So far I've been going to all my classes. I like self-study too, but I've got to admit that this kind of stuff is a lot different than undergrad, and I think the way they've got it set up, going to class can be pretty helpful.

For example, one day last week, we had a couple anatomy lectures, then went to lunch, then went to the anatomy lab and dissected the exact things we were talking about in lecture. While we were dissecting, the profs would come over and ask us questions about what we were looking at, and so-on.

Coming into this, I didn't think I'd go to class much. If things keep going the way they are going, I doubt I'll miss many lectures. We have very good teachers, and I think the lectures would be very helpful. Perhaps not necessary, but helpful.

So TT.

Is PCOM SPOM kicking your ass too? lol

One of my profs said: 'people ask me how to study for the first exam... and I tell them study harder then you've ever studied in your life'

ps. judging by your profile picture you've had a hip replacement... how is that working out with your triathelete stuff...

I heard she is almost single handedly trying to tear UNE apart. I hope the new Dean can put up with her.

Ha.. you funny. You would be surprised to learn how that place is run. Most of the staff wanted her to come and make changes, but there is a group at that are old and outdated and they are the ones resisting. They will put up barriers and try to get rid of who ever tries to make improvements.

They are prob still upset about Bouser leaving so they will still cause problems.
the only thing I heard from current MS2 students who just wrote the boards... is how bad they are prepared for the boards and how happy they are to get the F--- out of that place.

SPOM isn't that terrible. Don't get me wrong, its definitely a lot of work, and I'm not saying I'm where I'd like to be. But it is manageable. I think once I find my groove, I'll be okay. Of course, we haven't gotten to the really hard stuff yet.

Yea. I got a late start on studying so when i wrote that I was practically crying about all the material.

The best thing about the weekend is there's no NEW material. I definately did a good job catching up.

I got a little behind at first too. Adjusting from working night shift at the ER to being up and awake all day has been tough on me. I'm still working on that, and my studying hasn't been what I'd like. I sat down with some buddies to study the other day, and they were all way ahead of me, and I felt like I was going to get buried, but I was able to catch back up pretty easily. And I've still had time to drink.

Once I get my sleeping down, I'll be in good shape.

Big thanks to all of the contributors. :thumbup::thumbup:

Keep em coming!

NYCOM

PROS-

1) Anatomy is excellent.

2) OMM is very good. Dr. Gilliar, who runs the show, is level-headed and realistic about OMM; not some freak who thinks you cure heart attacks by doing sub-occipital releases.

3) Physiology is well taught.

CONS-

1) Very poor guidance with respect to setting up 4th year stuff with focus on how to get the best possible residency. You are essentially on your own in trying to figure out what is best for you.

2) I think this criticism is leveled at most DO schools that lack their own hospital and rely on community hospital affiliates (such as NYCOM): it is very hit or miss with regards to teaching. Hospitals are often not as rigorous and consistent about teaching as they are at U.S. MD programs. They are not full-time faculty dedicated to teaching. So very hit or miss with which hospital you happen to be at. You have to be very proactive about your learning.

3) Very expensive with consistent tuition hikes outpacing inflation each year. Untenable in long term my opinion.

4) Didn't apply to my class, but they have made attendance mandatory. Sorry, but this is graduate education. You should be free to come and go as you please.

5) Expensive area to live in.

6) Personally, they give bad advice with regards to taking the USMLE. I think you should take the USMLE. I think not taking closes more doors than taking it and doing badly. This is not scientific, but my sense so far. What their advice should be is: Don't take the USMLE if you are absolutely sure you will only apply to DO programs. But again, I am not on the program director side and this is only my gut feeling.

2) I think this criticism is leveled at most DO schools that lack their own hospital and rely on community hospital affiliates (such as NYCOM): it is very hit or miss with regards to teaching. Hospitals are often not as rigorous and consistent about teaching as they are at U.S. MD programs. They are not full-time faculty dedicated to teaching. So very hit or miss with which hospital you happen to be at. You have to be very proactive about your learning.

Do you know which schools do have their own hospital?

One thing about GA-PCOM that I forgot to mention...

Socializing with alcohol in public places could be a little dangerous around here, if you have a tendency to get aggressive in those situations. You probably don't want to get in a bar fight or hit on someone's girlfriend or anything like that.

Why?

There is a ****ing karate place on just about every corner. I could start at school, and walk to probably 50 karate places within 30 minutes. Everyone in Gwinnett must know karate, so be careful.

One thing about GA-PCOM that I forgot to mention...

Socializing with alcohol in public places could be a little dangerous around here, if you have a tendency to get aggressive in those situations. You probably don't want to get in a bar fight or hit on someone's girlfriend or anything like that.

Why?

There is a ****ing karate place on just about every corner. I could start at school, and walk to probably 50 karate places within 30 minutes. Everyone in Gwinnett must know karate, so be careful.

Lol thats hilarious. Thanks for the heads up.

Karate is insignificant in comparison to the true power of OMM

Karate is insignificant in comparison to the true power of OMM
:lol::lol:I just spit coffee everywhere after reading this. Now I have images in my mind of going to TT or something in the middle of a jungle to observe for six months and he's like a DO guru teaching OMM and beating the crap out of you just cause he feels like it.

Do you know which schools do have their own hospital?

do your homework, i am sorry I don't know.

i think Pcom does and probably some of the better mid-western schools.

CorpuSpongiosum said:
do your homework, i am sorry I don't know.

i think Pcom does and probably some of the better mid-western schools.

That's what I am doing on here....the information does not appear on the schools website. From what I gather, the I don't think the PCOMs, NYCOM, LECOMs, TUORO's, UNECOM, and WVSOM have their own. I'm not sure about MSUCOM, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, and UMDNJ.

Touro NV does...Valley Hospital.

Cool thanks, I'll look into it :).

Does it need to be physically attached or just affiliated without much/any infringement by other area med schools? What about distance?

Ah, I should have been clear. I meant any associated academic hospital where you can do your whole internship and see a good variety of cases.

Yea, could someone please answer to which schools have their own hospitals.

From my research, as a premed student who knows nothing, the weakest part of an osteopathic education is the 3rd and 4th years, and i don't want to be stuck at a school with poor options. So, if you know the answer, please post

From my research, as a premed student who knows nothing, the weakest part of an osteopathic education is the 3rd and 4th years, and i don't want to be stuck at a school with poor options. So, if you know the answer, please post

what I am talking about is a school that has its own university hospital and where only students from that school rotate for the 3rd year. 4th year is different as visiting students are welcome and who cares.

NYCOM has many affiliates, some better than others, but most, if not all, have many Caribbean students rotating through there.

The problem is not the mix of students but rather the lack of dedicated teaching faculty that exists at U.S. MD schools.

Again, my impressions is that PCOM which has been around forever and some of the older mid-western school probably have not just community affiliates, but an actual dedicated teaching hospital.

I don't have a FULL answer, but this is what I know:

Many DO schools have a "main hospital"...sometimes more than one. I know that at my school, LECOM-Bradenton, we have a few hospitals where we can choose to do our entire 3rd/4th year if we so choose. I myself am planning to do most of my 3rd year at one place, then spend most of 4th year/electives doing audition rotations for residency.

These "main hospitals" may not be that close to your home institution though. Ours are mostly in Orlando (2 hrs...I'll move if I go here) or Tampa-ish (45min-1hr).

It's also worth pointing out that many MD schools don't have their own attached hospitals either. Most certainly have "main hospitals" where their students usually go, but students can wind up elsewhere too.

For example, EVMS in Norfolk, VA usually sends it's students next door to Sentara General, which is not affiliated with the school other than being so damn close, but students wind up all over the massive sprawl of Viginia Beach, often at the Veteran's Affair's Hospital or other facilities.

Hope that helps. I would worry more about the school's themselves. The clinical stuff will get done no matter where you wind up. There are advantages and disadvantages to switching institutions, but they kinda even out.

The school's websites can probably tell you more...if not, shoot the admissions staff or clinical ed dept an email and ask.

UMDNJ-SOM has its own Hospital Affiliate:

Kennedy Health Systems has 3 campuses: Stratford (right across the street from the school) Cherry Hill and Washington Township (both about 20 minutes away). In addition, we do rotations at Our Lady of Lourdes in Camden (about 20 minutes away) and if you want to do all of your rotations at Christ Hospital in Jersey City, you can. However, the only rotation that MUST be done on campus is Geriatrics due to the Institute for Successful Aging.

I chose DO over MD specifically because my DO school had better clinical opportunites in 3rd and 4th year than the 2 MD schools did.

I chose DO over MD specifically because my DO school had better clinical opportunites in 3rd and 4th year than the 2 MD schools did.

There is a trade off to be had. Many MD schools are often located in big citys and you will do your rotations at tertiary care centers with other med students, residents, and attendings. You will SEE a wide variety of pathology at these places, but get to do less since you're the lowest man on the totem pole.

DO students typically rotate at smaller community hospitals where there are often no residents or other medical students rotating with you, besides your own class. In this setting, you will see somewhat less variety (although rural america CAN surprise you!) but you will get to do more "hands on" learning. You often work one on one with the attending...there is no army of residents and 4th years between you and them.

So, pick your poison. In the end, how good a doctor you will be is up to you, not your school or the hospitals you rotate at.

There is a trade off to be had. Many MD schools are often located in big citys and you will do your rotations at tertiary care centers with other med students, residents, and attendings. You will SEE a wide variety of pathology at these places, but get to do less since you're the lowest man on the totem pole.

DO students typically rotate at smaller community hospitals where there are often no residents or other medical students rotating with you, besides your own class. In this setting, you will see somewhat less variety (although rural america CAN surprise you!) but you will get to do more "hands on" learning. You often work one on one with the attending...there is no army of residents and 4th years between you and them.

I can't comment on places like WVSOM or LECOM, but practically every single rotation at my school sees a good amount of pathology, has residents, and is not a rural community hospital. In fact I'd say 85% are in or near a big city. I'm not bragging or saying one school is better than another, but pre-meds need to do their research instead of listening to myths on SDN.

Last edited:
I can't comment on places like WVSOM or LECOM, but practically every single rotation at my school sees a good amount of pathology, has residents, and is not a rural community hospital. In fact I'd say 85% are in or near a big city. I'm not bragging or saying one school is better than another, but pre-meds need to do their research instead of listening to myths on SDN.

I never said that EVERY DO school has rural community hospitals.

For example at my school, we CAN (and many students do) do all our rotations in Tampa and Orlando. However, most of our other possible rotation spots are very small community hospitals around the area.

I know it's not like this everywhere, but I also don't think it's an "SDN myth".

I do agree that people should thoroughly research schools they're interested in and check out this stuff out for themselves.

I can't comment on places like WVSOM or LECOM, but practically every single rotation at my school sees a good amount of pathology, has residents, and is not a rural community hospital. In fact I'd say 85% are in or near a big city....

I'd put the pathology I ran across at my 204 bed hospital against yours any day. Case in point, the only case of hemorrhagic west nile in the US was here. People in rural areas tend to not take good care of themselves and present to the local ED with advanced stage diseases. Consanguinity also tends to produce a number of rare genetic abnormalities as well.

All of my rotations have been like doing a sub-I. I'm currently on OB/Gyn. I was trained to first assist on sections, have scrubbed on a lot of other surgical cases, delivered a few babies and sewed up the rips and episiotomies on my own. Do you really think you'd get to do that if you were competing with residents and interns? No way.

No, you probably don't get the same amount of didactics, but I really think the hands-on stuff has been great. I had reading assignments every day and was pimped unmercifully. So...yeah, instead of sitting in a lecture I did a lot of reading on my own. Of course, my training must not be all that bad because I totally rocked the NBME medicine shelf.

That said, I believe everyone should have exposure to both types of systems. I picked a couple of away rotations at larger hospitals with residency programs because I wanted to get a look at the "traditional" experience as well.

That's what I am doing on here....the information does not appear on the schools website. From what I gather, the I don't think the PCOMs, NYCOM, LECOMs, TUORO's, UNECOM, and WVSOM have their own. I'm not sure about MSUCOM, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, and UMDNJ.

Here at TCOM (Texas) our hospital was shut down a couple of years ago. No plans to build a new one.

Ohio and MSUCOM do not

I think this has been said before a couple of times in this thread, but if anyone has any reviews of LECOM-Erie or UMDNJ-SOM that would be awesome. Thanks.

OSU has a hospital, but word on the street is that it's going to close after this academic year. Their residencies have already announced that they're moving to another hospital in town. I'm guessing the students will move to the same hospital.