Cutoffs (not like Tobias, but GPA/MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They've been mentioned many times, but it's such a common question that I thought a compiled list would be helpful. If you know of current, verifiable GPA/MCAT cutoffs for a school, please list them here. Also, cite your source.

Yes, I know that many numbers can be found in the CIB. However, sometimes it lists averages as cutoffs, confusing many people. So, let's try to find better sources and use the CIB only as a last resort.

Thanks for your help. And if a list like this already exists, please correct me. But it's only relevant if it's current.

Members don't see this ad.

For GPAs, it should be assumed that both science and overall must be at that level (unless stated otherwise), but check the source for more detail.

ATSU-KCOM--2.5
Source

ATSU-SOMA--2.5
Source

AZCOM--2.75
Source

CCOM--2.75
Source

DMU-COM--3.0 ("recommended")
Source

KCUMB--None.
Source

LECOM-B--2.7 (assumed, based on LECOM-E, since LECOM-B has no separate requirements listed)
Source

LECOM-E--2.7
Source

LMU-DCOM--None.
Source

MSUCOM--None.
Source

NSUCOM--None.
Source

NYCOM--None. Secondary not sent unless invited for an interview, based on primary app and LORs.
Source

OSUCOM--3.0 overall, 2.75 "pre professional science", 7's in each MCAT section
Source

OUCOM--None.
Source

PCOM--None.
Source

PCOM-GA--None.
Source

PCSOM--None.
Source

PNWU-COM--None.
Source

RVUCOM--2.5, 6's or better in each MCAT section
Source

Touro CA--3.0, 23
Source

Touro NV--3.0, 23
Source

Touro NY--None listed, but "pre screened" (3.0, 24, per the dean)
Source

UMDNJ--None.
Source

UNECOM--2.7, 18M
Source

UNTHSC/TCOM--None. ***TCOM uses the TMDSAS application, NOT AACOMAS.
Source

VCOM--2.75 in the last 120 credit hours or overall
Source

WVSOM--None. Secondaries only given with interview invite.
Source

Western--None listed, but they apparently heavily screen primary applications.
Source

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't find the actual West Virgina cutoffs, but I figured you could add that WV only sends secondaries if you're invited to an interview, like NYCOM.

And I don't know if its the right place, but maybe its nice to add for UNECOM you have to have the standard prereqs COMPLETED prior to applying. You can't be finishing them while your application is pending.

I couldn't find the actual West Virgina cutoffs, but I figured you could add that WV only sends secondaries if you're invited to an interview, like NYCOM.

And I don't know if its the right place, but maybe its nice to add for UNECOM you have to have the standard prereqs COMPLETED prior to applying. You can't be finishing them while your application is pending.

Perfect. I'll add them, along with the rest of the schools.

Any other school-specific quirks are appreciated, with regards to screening/requirements for applying.

tobias? cutoffs? lol is that an arrested development reference? Love the show!

For GPAs, it should be assumed that both science and overall must be at that level (unless stated otherwise), but check the source for more detail.

ATSU-KCOM--2.5
Source

ATSU-SOMA--2.5
Source

AZCOM--2.75
Source

CCOM--2.75
Source

Source

KCUMB--None.
Source

LECOM-B--2.7 (assumed, based on LECOM-E, since LECOM-B has no separate requirements listed)
Source

LECOM-E--2.7
Source

LMU-DCOM--None.
Source

MSUCOM--None.
Source

NSUCOM--None.
Source

NYCOM--None. Secondary not sent unless invited for an interview, based on primary app and LORs.
Source

Source

OUCOM--None.
Source

PCOM--None.
Source

PCOM-GA--None.
Source

PCSOM--None.
Source

PNWU-COM--None.
Source

Source

Touro CA--3.0, 23
Source

Touro NV--3.0, 23
Source

Touro NY--None listed, but "pre screened" (probably 3.0, 23, like the other Touros)
Source

UMDNJ--None.
Source

UNECOM--2.7, 18M
Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Hi for TOURO NY per the dean last year, the min GPA is 3.0 and a MCAT of 24. I am not sure of the score breakdown.

Good Luck!

ATSU-KCOM--2.5
Source

ATSU-SOMA--2.5
Source

AZCOM--2.75
Source

CCOM--2.75
Source

Source

KCUMB--None.
Source

Source

LECOM-E--2.7
Source

LMU-DCOM--None.
Source

MSUCOM--None.
Source

NSUCOM--None.
Source

Source

Source

OUCOM--None.
Source

PCOM--None.
Source

PCOM-GA--None.
Source

PCSOM--None.
Source

PNWU-COM--None.
Source

Source

Touro CA--3.0, 23
Source

Touro NV--3.0, 23
Source

Touro NY--None listed, but "pre screened" (3.0, 24, per the dean)
Source

UMDNJ--None.
Source

UNECOM--2.7, 18M
Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

MSUCOM - 2.7 GPA and 18 MCAT with at least 4 in PS, 5 in VR, 6 in BS
source: an admissions counselor with whom i spoke a while ago at MSUCOM.

i thought this UNECOM prereq issue was debunked by someone on SDN. Meaning, one could be given a conditional acceptance based on the fact that you successfully finish the prereqs before matriculation. anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)

This is also what I was told (well, not the specific numbers, but the 2.7 GPA and 18 MCAT as minimums) when I spoke to someone in admissions last summer. Also, the secondary is by invitation only. There was an issue last year with someone who posted the link for everyone on SDN.

A 4 on PS? :confused: Podiatry schools have higher standards

this is also what i was told (well, not the specific numbers, but the 2.7 gpa and 18 mcat as minimums) when i spoke to someone in admissions last summer. Also, the secondary is by invitation only. There was an issue last year with someone who posted the link for everyone on sdn.

lol!

Agreed. Definitely one of the most underrated shows in television history.

I cannot wait for the movie!

By the way, one of my favorite Tobias moments:
Analrapist

:lol:

If you look at the UNECOM website as posted for the source, there is no "cutoff". There are vague mentions of

"A grade point average (GPA) that demonstrates academic success in both the sciences and non-sciences. The average total undergraduate and graduate GPA for the class of 2012 was 3.46"

and

"Satisfactory completion of the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), with at least an M in the writing sample, taken within two years of application. An MCAT from April 2006 or newer can be used in applying for the class entering 2009. The average MCAT score for the class of 2012 was 27"

Nowhere is there a hard and fast cut-off.

As for pre-reqs: you do NOT let me repeat that NOT have to have them completed by the time you apply. You do, however, have to have them listed on the AACOMAS as "pending" courses to show you intend to complete them all and in fact can complete them in a timely fashion before matriculation. I would, however, encourage everyone to have your physics, gen chem, bio, and ochem stuff done before you take your MCATs. Biochem is not supposed to be tested on the MCAT, but you must complete the course before matriculation at UNECOM. People who do not have the course can take the UNE distance course over the summer, which I understand is about $1200 -$1500. Expensive.

wow these links were extremely helpful thanks for posting them

These links were all valid this time last year, I promise. Obviously, as ShyRem just mentioned, some may be out of date, as policies change each year. I'll go back and edit them soon. Until then, check the source to be sure (as you should always do ;)).

As for pre-reqs: you do NOT let me repeat that NOT have to have them completed by the time you apply. You do, however, have to have them listed on the AACOMAS as "pending" courses to show you intend to complete them all and in fact can complete them in a timely fashion before matriculation. I would, however, encourage everyone to have your physics, gen chem, bio, and ochem stuff done before you take your MCATs. Biochem is not supposed to be tested on the MCAT, but you must complete the course before matriculation at UNECOM. People who do not have the course can take the UNE distance course over the summer, which I understand is about $1200 -$1500. Expensive.

They sent me a letter saying that I had to have the prereqs done by Fall 2008, which was not going to happen. They told me (when I called to confirm) there is a difference between prereqs and pre-matriculation requirements. Biochem was a pre-matriculation requirement, while the prereqs had to be done before the application was considered.

My app last year was rejected pre-secondary last cycle because I hadn't yet completed Physics.
Would've loved to save that money and send it somewhere else. :mad:

i thought this UNECOM prereq issue was debunked by someone on SDN. Meaning, one could be given a conditional acceptance based on the fact that you successfully finish the prereqs before matriculation. anyone?

You can actually get in with a 2.5? I have a 2.51 so I didn't bother taking the MCATs even though I scored ~35 on practice tests.

You can actually get in with a 2.5? I have a 2.51 so I didn't bother taking the MCATs even though I scored ~35 on practice tests.

2.5 is the cutoff, however, schools tend to have a higher GPA average.

I have heard of someone with a 3.0 and an mcat 30+ get in to med school.

I almost got arrested for those business cards...

I have spoken with LECOM Bradenton and the 2.7 is thier science and cumulative GPA, and it is a HARD cutoff

Last edited:

You're smart enough to get a 35 on the MCAT, yet have only a 2.5? Did you just never go to class?

Anyone have a list of school's verbal cut offs??
00.gif

I have spoken with LECOM Bradenton and the 2.7 is thier science and cumulative GPA, and it is a HARD cutoff

what do you mean by a hard cutoff? like if you have 2.699999 they don't round up or something?

what do you mean by a hard cutoff? like if you have 2.699999 they don't round up or something?

Well I think that means under a 2.7 you won't get accepted/interviewed. Whether they round a 2.6999 up or not is their discretion, I am pretty sure though that aacomas will round a 2.699 to a 2.70.

Source

I called them today and was told that their MCAT cutoff is a 21 total. It doesn't matter what you have in each section, as long as it all adds up to a 21.

I called them today and was told that their MCAT cutoff is a 21 total. It doesn't matter what you have in each section, as long as it all adds up to a 21.

I called OSU also and they said the same thing. I think I've called all the DO schools within the past week. Apparently Philadelphia COM/Georgia, Kansas City, and Rocky Vista have individual section MCAT cutoffs.

Phil/GA - No lower than an 8 in each section

Kansas City - Above 6 in every section

Rocky Vista - Above 6 in every section

MSU - Physical/4 , Verbal/5, Biological/6

Also, at Ohio, they let you take composite score of MCAT. So if you get a 10/5/10 the 1st time around and a 6/10/9 a second time around, you will have a 30 MCAT.

I called OSU also and they said the same thing. I think I've called all the DO schools within the past week. Apparently Philadelphia COM/Georgia, Kansas City, and Rocky Vista have individual section MCAT cutoffs.

Also, at Ohio, they let you take composite score of MCAT. So if you get a 10/5/10 the 1st time around and a 6/10/9 a second time around, you will have a 30 MCAT.

so... did you get any other info from all the DO schools that you'd like to share? this coming from someone who vowed to email them all today and hasn't gotten around to it yet...

so... did you get any other info from all the DO schools that you'd like to share? this coming from someone who vowed to email them all today and hasn't gotten around to it yet...

Well, I called all the schools and ask questions that I was concerned about for my application (in this case, MCAT and individual section emphasis). Anything else, I don't have much information. I can contribute for the MCAT aspect :)

My app last year was rejected pre-secondary last cycle because I hadn't yet completed Physics.
Would've loved to save that money and send it somewhere else. :mad:

I just called and spoke with the UNECOM admissions office and they said that for the fall 2010 entering class, they've made a policy change. In the past, you used to have to have the prerequisites completed before they'd consider your application; HOWEVER, beginning with the fall 2010 class, they will consider an application and will issue conditional acceptances, even if your prereqs are still in progress. Hope this clears up that issue!

Is this the cutoff to receive an interview? Because according to the PCOM website (both campuses) and the CIB, secondaries are sent to all applicants unscreened.
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_app_process/adm_DO/adm_do.html
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf

Source

Source

VCOM -- 2.75 sgpa and overall gpa
RVUCOM -- 6 or better in each MCAT section and will not take the highest score per section if taken multiple times. They will pick your highest composite MCAT score.

Wow. And yet with a 28 MCAT PCOM didn't offer me an interview invite when I applied four years ago.

MCAT isn't everything and don't assume you're guaranteed an interview if you meet their number cut-offs. They're looking for something more. What that is, I have no idea. But every school looks for something more.

Is this the cutoff to receive an interview? Because according to the PCOM website (both campuses) and the CIB, secondaries are sent to all applicants unscreened.
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_app_process/adm_DO/adm_do.html
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf

My source is from talking with their admissions via phone. If the website says that and my lady said something else, i don't know what to tell you. She definitely said that my min. score i posted was the recommended for applying, not receiving interview.

My source is from talking with their admissions via phone. If the website says that and my lady said something else, i don't know what to tell you. She definitely said that my min. score i posted was the recommended for applying, not receiving interview.

:smuggrin: so she implied, Hey It's okay to give me your money but there is no way you are going to get an interview. Hilarious!

I don't think anyone is going to recommend something less than average. Thus, I don't think it fits the category of a cut-off. Good to know though, thanks. :)

Well, not sure if it will make a difference but "to be considered" were the exact words.

I called KCUMB and was told the minimum to receive an interview is 3.0. Would've been nice for them to post that somewhere. I wonder how many other schools don't post minimums but will give them out if you call? I didn't get the name of the lady I spoke to, but I'd suggest someone else call, too.

I called KCUMB and was told the minimum to receive an interview is 3.0. Would've been nice for them to post that somewhere. I wonder how many other schools don't post minimums but will give them out if you call? I didn't get the name of the lady I spoke to, but I'd suggest someone else call, too.

I called KCUMB back in July, didn't ask them anything about interview but they gave me cutoffs for sending their secondary.
MCAT: 6 or above in each section
GPA: 2.75 science and overall
oh yeah...they require genetics if anybody missed out on that.

something I found out from calling a few other schools:
OSU
w/exceptions they will consider the following for sending secondary:
sgpa: 2.75 overall: 3.0 MCAT: 7 each section

OUCOM
either 24 on MCAT or sgpa 3.25 (this may not be their cutoff, just whther you are competitive enough for applying or not)

I called KCUMB back in July, didn't ask them anything about interview but they gave me cutoffs for sending their secondary.
MCAT: 6 or above in each section
GPA: 2.75 science and overall
oh yeah...they require genetics if anybody missed out on that.

something I found out from calling a few other schools:
OSU
w/exceptions they will consider the following for sending secondary:
sgpa: 2.75 overall: 3.0 MCAT: 7 each section

OUCOM
either 24 on MCAT or sgpa 3.25 (this may not be their cutoff, just whther you are competitive enough for applying or not)

I really hope you're right and I'm wrong (about KCUMB). If I have the time, I think I'll send out an email so I can get the truth in writing haha. Maybe what she meant was that anyone with a 3.0 is almost definitely going to get an interview? And that if you have less than that, it's more of a battle and you have to shine in your secondaries? I wish I knew, because I'd like to apply to as many schools as possible without just wasting my time and money.

I know what you mean, I am on a pre-secondary hold at two schools due to my low MCAT and GPA. They say something on the phone and something else on the website. I hate wasting money this way. :annoyed: I could've added 2 other schools instead.

NSUCOM 3.0 reccomended
C or better in Gen Chem, Physics, OChem and Bio