## 2008-2009 Application Season ## Post AACOMAS questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Released!

Alright, you bastards better answer this question.

I read through the pdf and I think I made it appear like I intend on finishing my postbacc to 2nd degree completion.

I didn't put down an anticipated completion date for the degree, but I do put down the degree I'm pursuing is a BA. I don't put down any anticipated classes past Fall 2008, but I do put down that I anticipate taking classes next semester. What's the deal, when should I set it straight with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Released!

Alright, you bastards better answer this question.

I read through the pdf and I think I made it appear like I intend on finishing my postbacc to 2nd degree completion.

I didn't put down an anticipated completion date for the degree, but I do put down the degree I'm pursuing is a BA. I don't put down any anticipated classes past Fall 2008, but I do put down that I anticipate taking classes next semester. What's the deal, when should I set it straight with them?

I don't think anyone knew the answer to your last question.

As for this one, I'd correct the situation ASAP. I really don't think it will affect any decisions, but it's better to clear up ambiguities now, rather than putting a future interview invite or acceptance in jeopardy.

I don't think anyone knew the answer to your last question.

As for this one, I'd correct the situation ASAP. I really don't think it will affect any decisions, but it's better to clear up ambiguities now, rather than putting a future interview invite or acceptance in jeopardy.
Would sending an email and following up with a phone call be proper?

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine an email would suffice, but it wouldn't be overkill to make a call, as well.

What's the rationale behind the call, exactly?
To make sure they put it in my file. I actually don't want to call. I guess I'll shoot them an email with the specifics.

I sent my MCAT scores to AACOMAS, but my application does not reflect the receipt of them even though AMCAS confirms the transfer was "complete".

Only the score I unofficially reported is showing up.

I sent my MCAT scores to AACOMAS, but my application does not reflect the receipt of them even though AMCAS confirms the transfer was "complete".

Is your social security number associated with your MCAT score or is it 999-99-999? Also, how long has it been? It could take a week or so to show up. You could email AACOMAS through the SUPPORT link within the app and ask them what the deal is.

I remember it taking about a week for it to show up on mine when I submitted it through Thx..

I just want to make sure I am calculating my science GPA correctly. I am including any classes listed as biology, chemistry, physics, and math on my transcript. I included all labs also. Is there anything else I'm supposed to include? Any classes that may fall under one of those categories, but not included in the calculations?

Thanks!!!

any course that falls within those categories will be in calculated in that GPA. Also, anything in the "other science" which is like kinesiology courses and geology (i think) and stuff like that.

math is not included in the science gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
math is not included in the science gpa.

Yes it is.

BCPM: biology, chemistry, physics, math. AACOMAS also sticks in there "other science" and some "behavioral science" under the classification of "science GPA."

OP, if you go to the AACOM website, they will have a listing you can check your transcript against for classifying your science GPA. It'll clear up any confusion whether or not certain classes belong in the calculation.

Yes it is.

BCPM: biology, chemistry, physics, math. AACOMAS also sticks in there "other science" and some "behavioral science" under the classification of "science GPA."

OP, if you go to the AACOM website, they will have a listing you can check your transcript against for classifying your science GPA. It'll clear up any confusion whether or not certain classes belong in the calculation.

no, for osteopathic schools math is not including in science gpa. trust me, i've been verified and accepted without math included. probably wouldn't have been accepted otherwise.

no, for osteopathic schools math is not including in science gpa. trust me, i've been verified and accepted without math included. probably wouldn't have been accepted otherwise.

You are indeed correct. My apologies, I guess I'm still in AMCAS mode (where indeed math is included). I just saw the additional math section under aacomas and figured it was part of the science GPA (I finished the calculus sequence in high school and hence only have transfer credits, no grades, on my transcript).

"GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All course work. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science."

So, OP, for AACOMAS you've got the above info, and for AMCAS, use BCPM.

You are indeed correct. My apologies, I guess I'm still in AMCAS mode (where indeed math is included). I just saw the additional math section under aacomas and figured it was part of the science GPA (I finished the calculus sequence in high school and hence only have transfer credits, no grades, on my transcript).

"GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All course work. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science."

So, OP, for AACOMAS you've got the above info, and for AMCAS, use BCPM.

are you not applying this year? I thought you were but maybe I"m confusing you with somebody else.

are you not applying this year? I thought you were but maybe I"m confusing you with somebody else.

I am applying, I just didn't really think about what the difference was between "Science GPA" versus "BCPM."

Frankly, I don't even really know what my assorted GPAs are. I have to look that stuff up when people ask, lol.

ooooo i forgot that AACOMAS doesn't use math in the science GPA......good catch Ali!!!

Would someone post the link to see what classes can be considered science. I've looked on AACOM and I can't find it. Thanks for everyone's responses.

It's on the aacomas login page, under the detailed instructions link.

with a 3.5 and 33S is it too late to apply to DO med schools?

ok, 2 more questions, which DO schools accept canadian applicants, and (2) can I use the same essay for Allopathic as for Osteopathic when applying, or should i alter the focus?

one last thing, do i need a reference letter from an osteopathic doctor? my references letters are from allopathics.

ok, 2 more questions, which DO schools accept canadian applicants, and (2) can I use the same essay for Allopathic as for Osteopathic when applying, or should i alter the focus?

1. The CIB has this information. Check my signature for the link.
2. You only get around 4500 characters for the DO essay, so you'll probably have to cut some. Also, many applicants used the exact same essays for MD and DO schools. If you have something DO-specific that you'd like to include, feel free. Just try to leave some more ammo for your secondary essays, which will ask "Why DO?"

one last thing, do i need a reference letter from an osteopathic doctor? my references letters are from allopathics.

Check my signature for the link of which schools require a DO letter, and which "strongly recommend" it. It will help you a lot if you have some face time shadowing a DO, which often leads to a letter. Even if you don't get a letter from it, you'll be more convincing and sincere sounding when you're asked about your exposure to the profession, during interviews.

the info on your signature was GREAAAAAAATTTTT!!! thanks alot! what about these schools accepting canadians though?

the info on your signature was GREAAAAAAATTTTT!!! thanks alot! what about these schools accepting canadians though?

No problem.

As far as the Canadian thing, here's a case study:

1. Find the first school in the CIB. It's ATSU-KCOM on p.32 (pdf p.37)
2. On the second page of ATSU-KCOM, at the top left, you should see Application Information.
3. A few lines down, you'll see Canadian students eligible: Yes.
4. Repeat for all other schools.
5. Make an Excel sheet with this info for each school.
6. Post it in this thread, so I can link to it. :D

I said in my primary app to aacomas that I would retake the MCAT in January; that is no longer a possibility. What is the best way to tell a school that I wouldn't be retaking it? Thanks

I said in my primary app to aacomas that I would retake the MCAT in January; that is no longer a possibility. What is the best way to tell a school that I wouldn't be retaking it? Thanks

Contact AACOMAS. I think they'll update the schools for you, once you tell them. Use the SUPPORT link within your app.

Contact AACOMAS. I think they'll update the schools for you, once you tell them. Use the SUPPORT link within your app.

I am in the process of sending in secondaries, does AACOMAS still have any control at this point or do I just have to call the schools individually?

Chocolate Bear you are a machine with responding

I am in the process of sending in secondaries, does AACOMAS still have any control at this point or do I just have to call the schools individually?

Chocolate Bear you are a machine with responding

I believe AACOMAS can still update the schools, just like if you were to add schools to your list, right now.

Just email them and ask what to do. Then let us know what they say. Worst case scenario, you will have to contact the schools, but that's not a big deal.

I believe AACOMAS can still update the schools, just like if you were to add schools to your list, right now.

Just email them and ask what to do. Then let us know what they say. Worst case scenario, you will have to contact the schools, but that's not a big deal.

I emailed AACOMAS and they told me that the best way to retract was to contact the schools directly. They told me that they could run an update, but they do not know how schools will react to the added paperwork. So theres the heads up.

I emailed AACOMAS and they told me that the best way to retract was to contact the schools directly. They told me that they could run an update, but they do not know how schools will react to the added paperwork. So theres the heads up.

Makes sense. Thanks for the update! The idea of saving a few minutes of emails is nice, but contacting the schools is no biggie. Plus calling and updating only brings your file to the forefront, which can't be a bad thing.

Does anyone know how many spots have been filled up at the schools. I have applied to CCOM, AZCOM, both Tuoros, OSUCOM, and both schools in Florida. Does anyone know if majority of these spots have been filled. I am still waiting for my application to be verified and worried that most all spots are already filled

Does anyone know how many spots have been filled up at the schools. I have applied to CCOM, AZCOM, both Tuoros, OSUCOM, and both schools in Florida. Does anyone know if majority of these spots have been filled. I am still waiting for my application to be verified and worried that most all spots are already filled

Probably about half, for most of those schools. But there will be a lot of movement, too. It's definitely not too late. Just write your secondary essays now, so you can turn them around, instantly. :thumbup:

don't worry about that yet. you're not too late, if you had waited a few months you would be on thin ice. and yes do your secondaries NOW!

Thanks for the replies, but are the secondaries already available?

Quick questions:

How do I find out my GPA after AACOMAS verified my primary?

Is it suggested to update schools on recent EC achievements?

Quick questions:

You will have to wait until your application is released

Once that happens it show on your main page something like this

Nova Southeastern University COM Released mm/dd/yy VIEW

Click on VIEW and it will show you the pdf report of your application

you should update those schools if you feel that it is important to your application. either through AACOMAS or by sending an updated CV to each school

IamAriDO

Quick questions:

Does it say "released" next to each school? If it does, click on the link and you should get a .pdf of your gpa breakdown. If it doesn't, then you have to wait ~week more.

Does it say "released" next to each school? If it does, click on the link and you should get a .pdf of your gpa breakdown. If it doesn't, then you have to wait ~week more.

Thank you, not yet. I was verified early this week but today over the phone they told me it will be released next week..... :confused: Why the wait?? haha

Thanks for everyone's response! :laugh:

you should update those schools if you feel that it is important to your application. either through AACOMAS or by sending an updated CV to each school

IamAriDO

Hi, I've been actively reading many threads and I just wanted to Thank everyone for contributing their experience, as the whole application process can get daunting and stressful.

My question is how to I update the schools through AACOMAS? Can I just add more EC's and will the schools be able to see that?

Secondly if I have to mail an updated CV is there a tread with addresses for schools on where to send LOR etc. Also when sending things to school what should I include to make sure that they will get to my file?

Hi, I've been actively reading many threads and I just wanted to Thank everyone for contributing their experience, as the whole application process can get daunting and stressful.

Yes it can. Be sure to lend your own wisdom, too! :)

My question is how to I update the schools through AACOMAS? Can I just add more EC's and will the schools be able to see that?

Recently, someone posted that they spoke with AACOMAS about this exact scenario. AACOMAS said that it is possible to open your application, add new info, and send it to schools. However, this would be more paperwork for the schools that could very likely be ignored. It's probably best to mail or email andy updates to your schools, directly.

Secondly if I have to mail an updated CV is there a tread with addresses for schools on where to send LOR etc.

Check the CIB for addresses, if you can't quickly find them on the schools' sites. I recommend the schools' sites first, as they could be more up-to-date.

Also when sending things to school what should I include to make sure that they will get to my file?

Your full name and AACOMAS ID#.

Since many people on this board have said that osteopathic schools will replace your grade in a course that you have taken over when factoring your GPA, I assumed this is correct and still hold that to be true.

However, I was looking for literature on the osteopathic websites and couldn't find this anywhere. Does anyone know the link where the AOA states that the grade for a retake will replace the previous grade during your GPA calculation? Thanks in advance for your help!! :D

Since many people on this board have said that osteopathic schools will replace your grade in a course that you have taken over when factoring your GPA, I assumed this is correct and still hold that to be true.

However, I was looking for literature on the osteopathic websites and couldn't find this anywhere. Does anyone know the link where the AOA states that the grade for a retake will replace the previous grade during your GPA calculation? Thanks in advance for your help!! :D

The attached PDF is the inside scoop. It's from the instructions within the AACOMAS application. I don't think this info is published anywhere else, so you don't have access to it until you get the application process started.

The very last sentence of the document states that
Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in GPA calculation.

Attachments

• AACOMAS Instructions.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 893
Where in my AACOMAS application can I find the GPAs that they calculated for my file?

Thanks.