## 2008-2009 Application Season ## Post AACOMAS questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where in my AACOMAS application can I find the GPAs that they calculated for my file?

Thanks.

After you login, you should see a Status column in the middle. It should say Released x/y/zzzz for each school, immediately followed by View. Click that, and you'll download a PDF of the app that got sent to that particular school. It'll give all the GPA breakdowns you could ever want.

Moving to the AACOMAS Questions thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever had their AACOMAS revised? I was looking at mine and across the top of ever pdf for each school its "REVISED". The crappy thing is my GPA dropped a ton. I had it set to replace classes I am taking this fall and spring and on my original verification it said my gpa was around a 3.5 and now it's around a 3.0. Now I know why I was put on pre-interview hold at some schools. This is terrible. I had a great interview at LECOM-E and thought I had a chance, but now I'm pretty sure I'll get rejected due to the change.

I submitted on Nov 2, but still no news. I should be getting verified soon, but should I start to worry, I might miss some deadlines, like for MSUCOM.

Do you get a email saying that you get verified or do you have to log in to the aacomas website to check constantly.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on Nov 2, but still no news. I should be getting verified soon, but should I start to worry, I might miss some deadlines, like for MSUCOM.

Do you get a email saying that you get verified or do you have to log in to the aacomas website to check constantly.

Thanks

6 weeks is normal, dont panic yet since there is nothing you can do

I think you need to keep checking it to see when it is officially verified, but Im sure you are checking it quite religiously anyway so that probably wont be an issue ;)

I was about to ask the same question regarding the verification. I submitted 11/20, and since its late in the season I was expecting to get verified earlier, but I guess I will have to wait longer.

Hey guys...first newb post!

I'm taking the MCATs Jan. 31, 2009.
I believe that scores are not available until end of March.

Is it an impossibility to get accepted to a DO school for Fall 2009?

My opinion: Impossible. It's way too late.

I was about to ask the same question regarding the verification. I submitted 11/20, and since its late in the season I was expecting to get verified earlier, but I guess I will have to wait longer.

Just some info for all the late peeps, I submitted on Nov. 8th and was verified very early this morning (the 10th). Now I get to wait, hope and pray!

Nothing is impossible! You just didn't tell us too much about you: gpa, ECs, clinical experience, shadowing, whatnot. (Yeah but don't do that here, wander over to the What are my chances thread.)

Till then, check the CIB (link in Choco Bear's sig) for info on deadline dates and if the schools take the Jan MCAT. You might be able to still hit up the Touros and the Eries and maybe a few more. With the CBT, MCAT scores have about a month turnaround. Your scores will be out March 3. Have the primary done, transcripts in, paid and click "submit" at least two months before that and then on March 3rd-ish AACOMAS will put your shiny new MCAT score aboard your app like a cherry on top and you'll be good to go. Or good to try to go...

*This plan does work best if you have a bit of money and time to kill*

I'm a little confused about calculating my overall cumulative GPA

Do the medical schools average all of your cumulative GPA's together?

I went to 5 different undergraduate schools... I had a 2.1 cumulative from the school I graduated from. (See this thread for full story - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=585988 )

If what you are saying is that the med schools average ALL of your grades together from all of your schools, then my OVERALL cumulative GPA will be higher.

Also if I replaced some F's from one school with better grades from another. Do those F's still average in if I have better grades in the same class at another school?

For example = I took English 1301 in 2001 and got an F (forgot to withdraw - not my real grade) but then I took English 1301 again 3 years later at another school and got a B, does the B replace the F at the other school when calculating cumulative GPA?

If so I would have a 2.5 cumulative not counting my additional 4.0 grad school grades (if that was counted in it would go up to 3.0 GPA). It also does not count my grades for science pre-requisites I am working on now.

Hopefully all that made sense...

The schools don't do any calculations themselves; AACOMAS does and sends the information to the schools.

Your cumulative GPA can be calculated by taking ALL grades received, converting them into GPA values (A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, etc.), and dividing that score by the total amount of credits you have received from ALL schools combined. That would be your cumulative GPA.

In terms of retakes, the class that was retaken had to have had the very same amount of credits as the class you initially took. So if English 1301 was 3 credits in the first school and 3 credits in the second, the MOST RECENT grade would be counted, even if it was worse.

Hope that clarifies some things for you. :)

The schools don't do any calculations themselves; AACOMAS does and sends the information to the schools.

Your cumulative GPA can be calculated by taking ALL grades received, converting them into GPA values (A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, etc.), and dividing that score by the total amount of credits you have received from ALL schools combined. That would be your cumulative GPA.

In terms of retakes, the class that was retaken had to have had the very same amount of credits as the class you initially took. So if English 1301 was 3 credits in the first school and 3 credits in the second, the MOST RECENT grade would be counted, even if it was worse.

Hope that clarifies some things for you. :)

Agreed with most of the above. AACOMAS will use all of your credits from every institution to calculate your GPA.

However, for retakes, the second, third, etc. attempts must be at least as many credit hours as the first attempt. They can be more, though.

Also, moving to the AACOMAS Application Questions thread. :)

Just some info for all the late peeps, I submitted on Nov. 8th and was verified very early this morning (the 10th). Now I get to wait, hope and pray!

Thanks! In that case I will hope to get verified by next Monday (12/22)

Hope thats not too late. I am starting on the secondary apps right now.
my stats are: 3.48 MCAT: 30M. Realistically speaking do I have any hope for this cycle?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! In that case I will hope to get verified by next Monday (11/22)

Hope thats not too late. I am starting on the secondary apps right now.
my stats are: 3.48 MCAT: 30M. Realistically speaking do I have any hope for this cycle?

You're a little late, but don't worry about it too much.

I think you'll do just fine. :thumbup:

For people who have been verified by AACOMAS in the past few days, when did you submit? I am trying to get an idea of how long it will be before I get verified. They began processing my application November 24.

How do I change the social security number on my MCAT report from XXX-XX-999 to my real number?

I ask because the official report won't show up without my actaul SS.

if you get a D the first time you took a class, but retook the class and received an A, will the particular school know that you failed the first time?

Only AACOM get the transcript, not the particular school, right?

if you get a D the first time you took a class, but retook the class and received an A, will the particular school know that you failed the first time?

Only AACOM get the transcript, not the particular school, right?

Each school will see both grades, but your AACOMAS GPA will only include the A. While you do send the transcripts to AACOMAS, you also have to list on your AACOMAS application every class you have ever taken and what grade you received in that class. I wouldn't worry about this one grade too much. Many people who get into medical school have to repeat a class. Congradulations (by the way) on getting the A! That's some great improvement.

FYI to everyone waiting for verification, I submitted and entered into processing November 24 and was verified today.

FYI to everyone waiting for verification, I submitted and entered into processing November 24 and was verified today.

I don't know that it's ever been that fast, this year! Congrats!

Now start working on those secondary apps, ASAP! There's a link in my signature, a few posts up. :)

Thanks! I actually already started them, I have most of them done thanks to SDN :) I can't wait to get them all submitted so I can sit back and wait for interviews!

I noticed a couple of the schools I am interested in have a deadline of March and April of next year. I am planning on taking the MCAT January 31st.

My question is, if I fill out the AACOMAS application now, will the schools even look at my application until they get my MCAT score?

If they don't, and I try to apply when I get my MCAT scores back 30 days later, is there a way to check if the schools have already filled their classes and if it would be worth it to apply that late?

Thanks for any advice

I noticed a couple of the schools I am interested in have a deadline of March and April of next year. I am planning on taking the MCAT January 31st.

My question is, if I fill out the AACOMAS application now, will the schools even look at my application until they get my MCAT score?

If they don't, and I try to apply when I get my MCAT scores back 30 days later, is there a way to check if the schools have already filled their classes and if it would be worth it to apply that late?

Thanks for any advice
Fill it out and submit it with one school. Once your MCAT score is out, add more schools.

I know DO schools replace your old grade. But, what happens, if lets say someone takes Organic Chemistry at School X and gets C+ and retakes it at School Y and gets an A? Do they still replace your grade?

Also: what happens if it is Bio I for example. At school X, it will have a totally different course # and title name as opposed to another school?

AACOMAS will replace the grade from a class at School X as long as the same class at School Y is worth the same amount of credits or more. So it doesn't matter where you take it as long as it is the same class (an equivalent) and has the same, or more, credits.

AACOMAS will replace the grade from a class at School X as long as the same class at School Y is worth the same amount of credits or more. So it doesn't matter where you take it as long as it is the same class (an equivalent) and has the same, or more, credits.

Even if a title of a course is slightly different? For example, I retook Bio I and Bio II but at the school I retook them, it was called slightly different than the school I had taken them previously.

Even if a title of a course is slightly different? For example, I retook Bio I and Bio II but at the school I retook them, it was called slightly different than the school I had taken them previously.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know too much about that in particular. Perhaps someone (such as ChocolateBear :p) can chime in and give you information on that issue.

If I were to guess, however, slightly different titles shouldn't matter as long as it's indicated as an introductory biology class and has two sequential semesters.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know too much about that in particular. Perhaps someone (such as ChocolateBear :p) can chime in and give you information on that issue.

If I were to guess, however, slightly different titles shouldn't matter as long as it's indicated as an introductory biology class and has two sequential semesters.

I retook a lot of classes at different schools. Even though the titles may have varied, I had no trouble replacing grades.

Yup, the course title can vary. If it varies too much and AACOMAS rejects the retake, you can give them the course descriptions to appeal.

Moving to the AACOMAS Questions thread. :)

Hi! I'm not clear on the DO route for foreign exchange transcripts.

I was overseas for a year. My undergrad university lists the following for the two semester I was overseas:
TRANSFER CREDITS ACCEPTED FROM UNIVERSITY OF *** EXCHANGE PROGRAM
no letter grade is listed, just the credit.

Based on my circumstances I am supposed to "contact the AACOMAS Office". Does anyone know what happens after I contact the AACOMAS about my foreign transcripts?

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/Instructions.aspx

Study Abroad Programs:
If you have attended a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. institution and all courses, hours, and grades appear on the U.S. transcript, list those courses as others on your academic record. If all courses do not appear on your home institution transcript, are listed as transfer credit, if grades are not assigned, or if any other irregularity exists, contact the AACOMAS Office.

Hi! I'm not clear on the DO route for foreign exchange transcripts.

I was overseas for a year. My undergrad university lists the following for the two semester I was overseas:
TRANSFER CREDITS ACCEPTED FROM UNIVERSITY OF *** EXCHANGE PROGRAM
no letter grade is listed, just the credit.

Based on my circumstances I am supposed to "contact the AACOMAS Office". Does anyone know what happens after I contact the AACOMAS about my foreign transcripts?

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/Instructions.aspx

Study Abroad Programs:
If you have attended a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. institution and all courses, hours, and grades appear on the U.S. transcript, list those courses as others on your academic record. If all courses do not appear on your home institution transcript, are listed as transfer credit, if grades are not assigned, or if any other irregularity exists, contact the AACOMAS Office.

They'll figure it out and tell you what to do or just override the application and make the necessary changes, themselves.

Moving to the AACOMAS Questions thread. :)

Is there anything against creating a AACOMAS account and putting in all of your info, even though you know you aren't going to apply this year? I would like to see my OFFICIAL AACOMAS GPA, but don't know how without going through with it.

Two things that could change it: study abroad transcripts, and a 4 credit "General Chemistry for Engineers" taken a decade ago, with a 4 credit "General Chemistry" taken a year ago. How would I know if they are considered the same?

Whatever I do, I'd like my decision to be based off of their website, and I can't find anything.

Is there anything against creating a AACOMAS account and putting in all of your info, even though you know you aren't going to apply this year? I would like to see my OFFICIAL AACOMAS GPA, but don't know how without going through with it.

Two things that could change it: study abroad transcripts, and a 4 credit "General Chemistry for Engineers" taken a decade ago, with a 4 credit "General Chemistry" taken a year ago. How would I know if they are considered the same?

Whatever I do, I'd like my decision to be based off of their website, and I can't find anything.

The only way would be to spend the money ($155) to apply to one school only, wait 6 weeks, and let them verify your app.

However, thankfully, you can do it yourself. You just need to know which classes are considered 'science' to get an accurate calculation. AACOMAS has a specific set of guidelines for this, that I've posted before, here.

I'd call them and ask about the Chemistry repeat question.

Top of the forum, FAQ, look for "I repeated a course."

I've heard through the grapevine that aacomas has a generous grade replacement policy for course repeats. I'm wondering if it's true because I can't find it on their site. Anyone know for sure? I'm looking at similar threads right now and no one has posted any links either. Or I could just call them; meh, "afterthoughts".

I've posted definitive proof, here.

Hi ,
I'm applying this summer to D.O. schools and I had a specific question as to how AACOMAS calculates the science gpa with "other science" courses. Specifically, I took 3 courses called The Insects , Wildlife Issues, and The Age of Dinosaurs in the course of my 4 years in college. All 3 courses are listed in the Biological Science section at my school. Would these count toward my science average as "other science " courses? Thanks

If they're listed as biological science classes at your school then you're most likely good to go as far as science courses are concerned. If they're poor grades that would hurt your sGPA you might even be able to sneak them in as non science courses.

Thanks,
They were all A's, so, if possible, I wanted to use them toward my science average

My application was verified last week. I read on the boards that GPA calculation would be beside the schools that I applied to with a pdf document link.

Next to the schools I applied to, there is a note that reads, "Submitted to AACOMAS".

This is what I see for the status:

Current: Verified.
Release dates appear next to schools.

I don't see any release dates nor the GPA link.

Does this mean that I'm not completely verified?

Or does it mean that I am completely verified and AACOMAS just needs to submit it to my schools and then the date will appear?

Thanks for your help!!!

The PDF link takes a couple of weeks AFTER BEING VERIFIED to show up. You'll see it soon, don't worry. :)

If I send aacomas a new transcript with fall semester grades, is there a waiting period where they add/approve the grades before they'll get forwarded to the schools?

Thanks for the move and answer. :)

May I submit my secondaries now that my application is verified or must I wait? My deadlines are Feb 1 so I'd like to do this tonight. I do have the links to the secondaries so I can complete them - found them on this site.

I would caution you to ask the schools before you submit. The reason why I say this is because they might not have a file ready for you (i.e., they haven't properly processed your newly verified primary app yet), and thus are more likely to misplace your secondary materials.

I understand deadlines are approaching, so I would politely ask the schools if you can go ahead and submit your materials to them now.

If I send aacomas a new transcript with fall semester grades, is there a waiting period where they add/approve the grades before they'll get forwarded to the schools?

Probably a week or two, but I really have no experience with this. You could ask the school(s) if they want you to send a transcript to them so they'll get the grades faster.

If you end up asking AACOMAS about this, I'd be curious as to what they tell you.

Probably a week or two, but I really have no experience with this. You could ask the school(s) if they want you to send a transcript to them so they'll get the grades faster.

If you end up asking AACOMAS about this, I'd be curious as to what they tell you.

Well I'm doing both just to be safe :thumbup:. Was just curious though.

Hey All! I'm applying the next cycle, but I am trying to organize all of my stuff so I can quickly get everything completed.

1. For volunteer entries, do we get to include both the dates these were completed and the total hours that we have done something? Or do you just include hours completed in the description?

2. Can I included the hours of my internship as volunteer? It was at a Psycho-Educational Facility, where most of the kids had both an intellectual disability and most had multiple medical issue, specifically psychiatric disorders.

3. I attended a conference, but I don't remember the dates and I can't fnd anything about it on internet. It was in 2001, could I even included this or is it better not too? I only want to include it because I was chosen from my organization to attend and it was a Youth Minority Leadership Conference.

Thank you for an information on these questions! :D

One more question.

How broken down are the GPA's that get sent to schools? Meaning do they show a cGPA,sGPA, post-baccGPA, cGPA(including post-bacc), sGPA(including post bacc).

I ask this because I only had 5 science classes when I graduated. I didn't do very good in these, so that GPA is 2.88. So my post-bacc has the majority of my sciences and that GPA is 3.71, together that comes out to 3.48. Will the 3.48 be my sGPA or not?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Hey All! I'm applying the next cycle, but I am trying to organize all of my stuff so I can quickly get everything completed.

1. For volunteer entries, do we get to include both the dates these were completed and the total hours that we have done something? Or do you just include hours completed in the description?

2. Can I included the hours of my internship as volunteer? It was at a Psycho-Educational Facility, where most of the kids had both an intellectual disability and most had multiple medical issue, specifically psychiatric disorders.

3. I attended a conference, but I don't remember the dates and I can't fnd anything about it on internet. It was in 2001, could I even included this or is it better not too? I only want to include it because I was chosen from my organization to attend and it was a Youth Minority Leadership Conference.

Thank you for an information on these questions! :D

One more question.

4. How broken down are the GPA's that get sent to schools? Meaning do they show a cGPA,sGPA, post-baccGPA, cGPA(including post-bacc), sGPA(including post bacc).

5. I ask this because I only had 5 science classes when I graduated. I didn't do very good in these, so that GPA is 2.88. So my post-bacc has the majority of my sciences and that GPA is 3.71, together that comes out to 3.48. Will the 3.48 be my sGPA or not?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Way to plan ahead! You'll be in great shape! :)

To clarify for a couple of your questions, there are really only three sections of individual entries in AACOMAS. They are 1. Employment, 2. ECs & Volunteer, 3. Honors. This means you don't have to differentiate between "volunteer work" and "ECs." This makes life much easier for you.

1. It asks for the date range (e.g., Date: April 2008-Present), the Total Hours, the Total Per Week (hours), and a description.

2. Yes, count it as an EC/Volunteer activity. Like I said, you don't have to further classify the activity.

3. If you were chosen as a representative to attend a conference, then I would include it. That's something good. Try to make your best guess as to the month it was held, at least, if possible.

4. The GPA breakdowns are as follows. There are two separate sections and they look like this (these are certainly NOT my numbers! ;)):

2wr2rkj.png

5. Your "Total Sci GPA" will be a 2.88. Your "PB Sci GPA" will be a 3.71. Your "Cum UG Sci GPA" and your "Overall Sci GPA" will be a 3.48. The latter is the bottom one listed and the main one, IMO. :thumbup: