VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats guys!! The worst part (in my opinion) is over now :)

Members don't see this ad.

What is the earliest (time of day) acceptance call anyone has recieved so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everybody on your acceptances!

So I just got put on pre-interview hold....I'm assuming this is not a good thing? I'm IS (although not from a rural region) and I'm thinking that if I didn't get an interview straight out I'm toast. My MCAT is way higher than their average so I'm a little confused about this. :confused:

Edited to add: yes, I looked through the rest of the thread, but I'm still not quite getting a good grasp on whether or not people get pulled off this pre-interview hold list. I feel like it might be a real kiss of death for in-staters.

Last edited:

So I just got put on pre-interview hold....I'm assuming this is not a good thing? I'm IS (although not from a rural region) and I'm thinking that if I didn't get an interview straight out I'm toast. My MCAT is way higher than their average so I'm a little confused about this. :confused:

Edited to add: yes, I looked through the rest of the thread, but I'm still not quite getting a good grasp on whether or not people get pulled off this pre-interview hold list. I feel like it might be a real kiss of death for in-staters.

No, you're not toast! People do make it in off the wait list. Once people start declining their spot in the class (usually go to another school they got accepted to), the people on the waitlist will start getting calls. Then, in order to refill the wait list, they will start pulling people from a pre-interview wait list. Follow up in a few weeks if VCOM is one of your priorities and also consider visiting. (I visited on my way by and got a call for an interview 3 days later)

Also remember that everything isn't just about your MCAT score. You have to look at your PS, GPA, ECs, and LORs.

I was also put on pre-interview hold with slightly above average MCAT and average GPA. I got a call about a week ago and was offered an interview, so stay positive you very well could still get an interview.

No, you're not toast! People do make it in off the wait list. Once people start declining their spot in the class (usually go to another school they got accepted to), the people on the waitlist will start getting calls. Then, in order to refill the wait list, they will start pulling people from a pre-interview wait list. Follow up in a few weeks if VCOM is one of your priorities and also consider visiting. (I visited on my way by and got a call for an interview 3 days later)

Also remember that everything isn't just about your MCAT score. You have to look at your PS, GPA, ECs, and LORs.

Visiting is definitely not going to happen...VCOM is a four hour drive from my house, and I'm a busy grad student. I barely have time to see my friends, let alone go visit the school on a whim. :(

I'm happy with my acceptances right now, but I've got friends at VCOM who love the place so I was hoping to get the opportunity to see it for myself.

I was on the "hold" list pre-interview and just wrote a letter of interest and got an interview invite. At that time I new just the basics about VCOM and it was not until the interview did I learn more about what the school had to offer. Now I am going to be part of the Class of 2013 and I was a pre-interview waitlist from the west coast. You can make it off the waitlist if you show some interest. :cool:

I would definitely write a letter of interest. I went to the open house and they said that the MCAT isn't really something that they weigh as heavily. They said they look more at your gpa and your ECs. They seem to really look at applicants as a whole, so a high MCAT doesn't guarantee anything. They also said they truly do rolling admissions and look at applicants throughout the process so don't give up hope.

I don't know their average MCAT, but I definitely don't have a high score, but I have a decent, above average DO gpa and good "life experience". I was granted an interview.

VCOM seems like a really good school so hopefully a letter to them will get you noticed. Good luck!

On the VCOM webpage they say their tuition is $xx,xxx. I have a question to VCOM students (or anyone else who would know): is 100% of the tuition due at once or is half due before each "semester", which would then add upto the amount they quote for a year.

thanks!!

During my interview a few weeks ago, they told us that the average MCAT for the class of 2012 was a 24 and the gpa was around 3.6.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok I am so confused!
I am supposed to send my tuition deposit in by Dec 15. Do we also have to send our Criminal Background Check with the tuition deposit or is that due June 15? I have no idea how to work this PreCheck application and the VCOM website is not helping at all...

Sabzi

On the VCOM webpage they say their tuition is $xx,xxx. I have a question to VCOM students (or anyone else who would know): is 100% of the tuition due at once or is half due before each "semester", which would then add upto the amount they quote for a year.

thanks!!

Half. It ends up being something like $15,000 / 6 months

Cancelling my interview...so another spot has opened for anyone. I was thinking about going, but decided I probably wont go there...so why waiste their time and my time, and let someone else have a chance.

Here are VCOM's match lists for the last two years. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• VCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 831
  • VCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 1,854
I was on the "hold" list pre-interview and just wrote a letter of interest and got an interview invite. At that time I new just the basics about VCOM and it was not until the interview did I learn more about what the school had to offer. Now I am going to be part of the Class of 2013 and I was a pre-interview waitlist from the west coast. You can make it off the waitlist if you show some interest. :cool:

?

Last edited:
Congrats to the newest round of accepted students!!!

I can't wait to meet everyone!

:):):)

Interesting, no offense but your stats are much lower than mine and they didn't even send me a secondary. Woe is me, but oh well hah.

I'm in the same boat with you seraph... :) well, its not over till I get the rejection letter. :) :xf:

I'm in the same boat with you seraph... :) well, its not over till I get the rejection letter. :) :xf:
You're right... and even if you do get a rejection letter, that's okay, it's not the end of the world!! Retake the MCAT, think about a post-bac, work for a year and get some clinical experience... Your life is a long time - 1 or 2 years isn't much extra to do what you want.

Don't give up if you really want to submit yourself to the sadistic experience of med school... which you do - it's really a lot of fun. :)

Finally, my application is officially complete. The admissions office has been so helpful thus far. Now, I it's time to wait. Hopefully, I'll hear something relatively soon.

Does VCOM record the class lectures? If so, how do they distribute them to students? Do they just upload them to a site after class?

Hi there!

My application is finally complete and I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from VCOM for interview invites and/or deferral. Thanks and good luck !!! :D

Hi there!

My application is finally complete and I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from VCOM for interview invites and/or deferral. Thanks and good luck !!! :D

From my experience, VCOM is quick in their review of applications. I bet you will hear something within 1-2 weeks.

To those who have already interviewed at VCOM, how was the actual interview day? The itinerary seems to be very nice. I'm wondering if the interviews themselves are high-pressured or laid back, or somewhere in between? Anything else to expect? Any tips?

To those who have already interviewed at VCOM, how was the actual interview day? The itinerary seems to be very nice. I'm wondering if the interviews themselves are high-pressured or laid back, or somewhere in between? Anything else to expect? Any tips?

The interviews itself were very relaxed. Even though it seems intimidating at first since you are interviewed by three different people (one on one), they all try to make it relaxed and conversational for you. The staff at VCOM are very very friendly which makes it even more enjoyable to be there. Just be yourself and you will be fine. It seemed like they all just wanted to get to know you besides the numbers. Oh yea, and the lunch is amazing! At the beginning of the interview they give you a menu so that you can choose what you want for lunch. There are wide variety of selection and don't be afraid to pig out! hahaha, all in all, the interview was a wonderful experience and they do a really good job telling you about their school. Just go and have fun! This is an opportunity for you to get to know more about their school as it is for them!:)

I just got rejected pre-secondary by vcom. got a letter in the mail.

My gpa was 3.42, MCAT 30Q.

I'm sorry to hear that High Rolla. Maybe you should call the admissions office and find out why. You have strong numbers and I would think you would of at least get a secondary.

No, I just like to go back over lectures because I zone out sometimes. Right now I record my classes with a voice recorder, but I would rather them be taped with video.

No, I just like to go back over lectures because I zone out sometimes. Right now I record my classes with a voice recorder, but I would rather them be taped with video.

u wont have time to go back over them!!!! so u need to stop that habit! listen once, read once, and move on....there is too much material, u cant go back for a second time!!!

Lectures are mp3 recorded and now, the impt lectures are video taped and posted online. hope this helps.

OK, thanks. I don't go back and listen to everything a second time, just parts I don't feel like I understood fully.

do most people who submit secondaries to VCOM get interviews? i hope so :)

Wow I am every surprised. Sometimes this process is just crapshoot...it just doesnt make any sense why they pick certain ppl over others. I wouldnt worry about it High Rolla, I'm sure there will some other amazing school that will give you a chance.

I am sorry if this was already discussed but does anyone know the ball park tuition for out of staters?

I am sorry if this was already discussed but does anyone know the ball park tuition for out of staters?

its the same as in-state 32,000 or something like that

Do any of you know if there is a way to find out which textbooks we will need for the first year? I was planning on purchasing them before school starts but a list is a little necessary ;)

Do any of you know if there is a way to find out which textbooks we will need for the first year? I was planning on purchasing them before school starts but a list is a little necessary ;)

each year, the list of book changes...well, not all the books, but a couple are changed. I would wait, but if you wanna get a head start, buy BRS physio and Goljan Rapid Review of Pathology....those should be enough to keep you busy. If you can read and understand all of BRS physio before you come, you have finished 1st yr med school physiology. The Goljan one will help you understand the pathology and their mechanism of actions. Otherwise, i would wait till they email you guys with the list of books (hopefully sometime in April or may)

I kinda like my break that I am having right now so getting a head start was not really on my mind ;) Just looking to price how much it would be to make the purchase before school starts or if I will have to figure that into what I take out for tuition.

Thanks on the info for those two books though. Should I get the newest versions available or is there a certain edition that is being used at VCOM now?

I kinda like my break that I am having right now so getting a head start was not really on my mind ;) Just looking to price how much it would be to make the purchase before school starts or if I will have to figure that into what I take out for tuition.

Thanks on the info for those two books though. Should I get the newest versions available or is there a certain edition that is being used at VCOM now?

ok gotcha....well, VCOM's booklist is huge! it will probably cost you about 2k worth of books for the first 2 yrs. But then again, no one buys all the required books on their booklist. These books are dense, lengthy, and heavy....

I bought the impt review-board related books and the rest, i never bothered purchasing b/c studying the powerpoint lectures plus the review books is more than enough...trust me! no time for bulky text reading! and if u wanted to read the text, VCOM has all the textbooks in the library (multiple copies) and online, which is pretty nice :thumbup:

And for the review books, buy the latest edition and buy them new so u can write ur own notes in them.... the above mentioned ones are a MUST and if you know them cover to cover, thats 60% of Step I boards... but for now, i really recommend to enjoy the holiday season and relax...dont touch any textbook material...haha...seriously!

As for taking out a certain amount money from your loan for books, i dont know, its up to you, but i would say a 1000 bucks for the first yr suffices (maybe thats more than you might need) hope this helps!

Hola. I'm dropping off my deposit sometime this week. :horns:

Hey guys,

I just got a call for an interview invite for December 15. Is anyone else going to be there on this date?

Hey guys,

I just got a call for an interview invite for December 15. Is anyone else going to be there on this date?

Congratulations Spooner,
You will be fine during the interviews. You have now passed about 90% of this med school application process. Maybe we'll be going to school together for another 4 years. Gosh, I couldn't take that...:D

Congratulations Spooner,
You will be fine during the interviews. You have now passed about 90% of this med school application process. Maybe we'll be going to school together for another 4 years. Gosh, I couldn't take that...:D

Wait a minute. Is this who I think it is? Are you the sexy Peeeeersian on campus? If so, then I definitely couldn't take being in class with you anymore either.

Hey guys,

yikes, finals start that day!!!! anyway, congrats on ur interview....i hope u get the good news before CHRISTMAS :D

i'm in blacksburg right now....soooo nervous! so far i'm really happy to be here. i love the mountains and everyone i've met so far has been amazing. i spent an hour talking to the shuttle guy for comfort inn (ron). we went from football games to politics. definitely funny.

for the people interviewing tomorrow....see you at 8:30!

yikes, finals start that day!!!! anyway, congrats on ur interview....i hope u get the good news before CHRISTMAS :D

Thanks simpleman. Yeah, that would be a nice Christmas present. I bet the students who eat lunch with us interviewees are going to be pretty stressed and sleep deprived. Good luck with finals!

i'm in blacksburg right now....soooo nervous! so far i'm really happy to be here. i love the mountains and everyone i've met so far has been amazing. i spent an hour talking to the shuttle guy for comfort inn (ron). we went from football games to politics. definitely funny.

for the people interviewing tomorrow....see you at 8:30!

Yeah, it's a really pretty area. Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.