VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no paperwork needed....i actually would prefer next years class...of course we would have to say "yes" to a spot for 2013 or lose our place....(we cannot defer a year)
looks like we'll all be classmates!!!
i have already started to look for housing...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you current students participated in the medical mission trips to Central America? If so, what were they like? Also, about how much do the trips cost?
Yep, I went to Guatemala in Feb. It was amazing! There are 3 types of trips you can take:
VCOM sponsored "faith based"
VCOM sponsored "non-faith based"
CMDA
I went with CMDA, which is a little more expensive, but fit me better. Everyone who goes on one loves it (!!). I think the total cost for the CMDA was around $1300 or so. For the VCOM sponsored, I think they're 400 plus you pay your own airfare. I'm not positive on the vcom sponsored ones though.

What are they like? Well, I can only speak of CMDA. They were highly organized. We had 4 "stations" set up and a certain "company" in each: intake, clinic, pharmacy, and prayer station. People would come in and the people from the local church would take their chief complaint and give them instructions. While in line, a small group from the pharmacy company (1-2) would take vitals.

The patient (+ family) would then go to the clinic. The local church provided translators to us.. but you'd be surprised at how much you pick up if you know just a little spanish. 1st years were teamed up with more experienced people (2nd years, etc). We would do a SOAP note, present the findings to the "attending" (whatever physicians come along), then send them on their way to the pharmacy.

In the pharmacy, the people simply present their order, we fill it, then give them instructions. Any time we could give them more long-term advice, we would (ie: drink more water, instructions on how to make eye drops, overall diet, etc).

Then, anyone who wanted to was welcome to go to the prayer station where we prayed for them and hooked them up with people from the local church.

You get to do a ton on your own... very very hands on. To them, you are the doctor. It's pretty amazing.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks Tideleonheart,

That was very helpful. Are spouses allowed on the trip if they pay their own way and have a medical license? My wife is an ICU RN and would like to join as well on one of the trips at some point. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but I know it would be an incredible experience for me to be able to work with her.

Thanks Tideleonheart,

That was very helpful. Are spouses allowed on the trip if they pay their own way and have a medical license? My wife is an ICU RN and would like to join as well on one of the trips at some point. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but I know it would be an incredible experience for me to be able to work with her.
Absolutely. Wifes and all family members can go on CMDA trips (even non-medical family). The non-medical people are just as helpful as the doctors. It's a really big team effort. By the way, it is fine if you're not a Christian but still would like to go... but obviously you'd have to be tolerant of the fact that it is focused that way.

For the VCOM sponsored, I don't think family can go, even if they're medically trained. Don't quote me on that, though. Let me see if I can find out for sure.

To everyone considering VCOM/already in VCOM:

The VCOM website states that VCOM has a curriculum geared towards primary care physicians for the lower Appalachian community (a paraphrase - they say it much better on the website).

How many of you guys are looking to specialize in something other than internal/primary medicine? What made you choose VCOM over the other schools?

Thanks for the input! :D

The VCOM website states that VCOM has a curriculum geared towards primary care physicians for the lower Appalachian community (a paraphrase - they say it much better on the website).

How many of you guys are looking to specialize in something other than internal/primary medicine? What made you choose VCOM over the other schools?

The mission program + location were the primary reasons I chose VCOM. I don't plan on going primary care. I plan to shoot for neurosurgery, but will settle for a different surgery if my board scores aren't high enough. Medical school is medical school whether it claims to be geared toward primary care or not. You can do whatever you want if you try hard enough.

I chose VCOM based upon responses from recent graduates and the affiliation with Virginia Tech. I am not interested in primary care but have several ongoing interests in various specialties. Match lists from VCOM have been impressive and that was another selling point for the school.

I chose VCOM because it is such a military- friendly school...their association with military medicine from each of the branches was impressive and I was sold during my interview/ visit.

I just got an e-mail from VCOM stating that my waitlist position was number 10. It says there is movement on the waitlist and to get all my immunizations and matriculation deposit ready because they are confident they will be able to offer me a seat in 2013. I wonder what this means??

Has anyone else gotten this e-mail? Are we getting in, or are they just keeping us on stand by?

Hi, sorry to bother everyone but I am applying for the class of 2014:xf: and I just received an e-mail from VCOM stating that they received my AACOMAS today and will begin reviewing my application.

I am from the West coast and I am interested in VCOM...but I heard they have a strong preference for instate and Appalachian region applicants? Is this true?

Btw, Congrats to all of you class of 2013 folks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, sorry to bother everyone but I am applying for the class of 2014:xf: and I just received an e-mail from VCOM stating that they received my AACOMAS today and will begin reviewing my application.

I am from the West coast and I am interested in VCOM...but I heard they have a strong preference for instate and Appalachian region applicants? Is this true?

Hey, I am applying for the class of 2014 as well. My boyfriend just got accepted into the class of 2013. He said that the school has a preference for people who are interested in helping the health problem in this region. It would probably be a question you could almost bet would be in your interview, "Why come all the way to VA?" In short, I think they prefer people who want to help the area...it may just be a bit harder for you to convince them of that. I could be totally wrong...this is just my impression. BTW we totally need a 2009-2010 thread...

Hey, I am applying for the class of 2014 as well. My boyfriend just got accepted into the class of 2013. He said that the school has a preference for people who are interested in helping the health problem in this region. It would probably be a question you could almost bet would be in your interview, "Why come all the way to VA?" In short, I think they prefer people who want to help the area...it may just be a bit harder for you to convince them of that. I could be totally wrong...this is just my impression. BTW we totally need a 2009-2010 thread...
Hi, thanks for replying!Yes, what you say makes sense... I will try to incorporate what you mentioned in their secondary (if i get one:xf:)
Yes, we do need to have a 2009-2010 thread very soon!:luck: Best of luck to all of us!

I got in and I'm from Oregon. I was asked why I would ever want to move to Virginia and I told them that some of my professors and one friend who attended VaTech had fond memories of the area and said that it was more like Oregon (particularly Corvallis, OR with the big engineering school) so I would feel less "out of my element". I also let them know I had family in TN and would be able to have holiday dinners only a few hours away so that was another reason for applying in the area.

I could have also mentioned that Oregon only has OHSU which doesn't look at MCATs below 30 too often, but I decided to focus on the possitive side. I think that was key to doing well in the interview as an out of area applicant. Be possitive, show interest, and think of a couple things that may help you fit in. Also, my application was put "on hold" after I submitted the secondary and it was not until after I wrote a letter of interest that I got an interview invite. Persistance, dedication, and a possitive attitude despite geographical difficulties is very important if you want them to overlook where you are applying from.

Good luck!

I got in and I'm from Oregon. I was asked why I would ever want to move to Virginia and I told them that some of my professors and one friend who attended VaTech had fond memories of the area and said that it was more like Oregon (particularly Corvallis, OR with the big engineering school) so I would feel less "out of my element". I also let them know I had family in TN and would be able to have holiday dinners only a few hours away so that was another reason for applying in the area.

I could have also mentioned that Oregon only has OHSU which doesn't look at MCATs below 30 too often, but I decided to focus on the possitive side. I think that was key to doing well in the interview as an out of area applicant. Be possitive, show interest, and think of a couple things that may help you fit in. Also, my application was put "on hold" after I submitted the secondary and it was not until after I wrote a letter of interest that I got an interview invite. Persistance, dedication, and a possitive attitude despite geographical difficulties is very important if you want them to overlook where you are applying from.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply :thumbup: Really good advice and I will follow up with LOI if need be. Congrats on your acceptance!

Hey 2013 waitlisters!!

I got the same e-mail about the early admission for the class of 2014!!! I had an acceptance to PCOM this year, but I loved VCOM so much and think it truly is the best fit for me. So I guess I will be joining you all in the class of 2014! Can't wait!! I'm so excited to start at VCOM!!

I got an email the other day saying I was number 10 on the wait list and VCOM was "...extremely confident they would be able to offer me a position for the class of 2013..." How sure can they be even though I'm still on the wait list? Also, if I do get the call for a seat I would like to find a roommate, never lived by myself and don't want to.

ok..ok...what exactly is going on with this waitlist? so far we have two people at the number 10 position which means that the waitlist is moving...does anybody know from previous waitlisters when the absolute last day to find out about a seat for the class is? has anybody talked to megan or bea?

yeah I want a roomate too! although I'm having problems finding housing since I don't know if I'm going this year....:eek:

well...at least my immunizations are up to date

ok..ok...what exactly is going on with this waitlist? so far we have two people at the number 10 position which means that the waitlist is moving...does anybody know from previous waitlisters when the absolute last day to find out about a seat for the class is? has anybody talked to megan or bea?

yeah I want a roomate too! although I'm having problems finding housing since I don't know if I'm going this year....:eek:

u can be pulled off the waitlist till the 1st day of orientations! trust me, people do end up dropping out for some reason (family reasons, got accepted to another school closer to home, etc....)

we had a couple of people in my class who came flew in to roanoke, off the waitlist last minute, and my classmates were kind enough to help these two colleagues settle in....so dont give up hope till the 1st day of orientation.

So I know this is a bit off topic but I have a question for some current VCOM students...

I will be getting married Dec 19, and before we scheduled this date I called VCOM and asked if arrangements could be made if class dates fell before and after that day i.e. taking exams early or making up class work to which they said yes... My question:

Are there exams that week because based on the block calender on their website these are just regular class days...

Has any other student ever had issues with the scheduling and needed special arrangements

Hey all...just for the record, I made a new thread for everyone applying 2009-2010.

So I know this is a bit off topic but I have a question for some current VCOM students...

I will be getting married Dec 19, and before we scheduled this date I called VCOM and asked if arrangements could be made if class dates fell before and after that day i.e. taking exams early or making up class work to which they said yes... My question:

Are there exams that week because based on the block calender on their website these are just regular class days...

Has any other student ever had issues with the scheduling and needed special arrangements

yup, that is finals week!!! You will be exhausted as hell during that block! You can ask to squeeze an exam earlier in order to have that day off, but you could be taking it in addition to 2 other exams, in which it might hurt you. But bottom line is: its doable and you should have no problem having that day off...all you gotta do is fill out an excuse form

Just my update on the waitlist..it is definitely moving:
I just recieved the same e-mail stating that my waitlist position is now number 6. They again recommended that I begin getting my immunizations, financial, BLS, and other requirements ready for admission into class 2013.

:love:YAAAAYY!! I just got off the waitlist for the Class of 2013!!!!

Anyone know where to find a list of the book required/recomended for the first year?

I see a partial from last year, but don't want to bank on that being the same for this one.

Thanks! Now on to housing...I hope I find something soon. Congrats C Rich!

look at oak tree townhomes in christiansburg. Last I recall there are a few of the $850 two bd two bath left, and they are nice.

Either Knollwood or The Crossing at Knollwood had 1 or 2 2bd/2ba left as of this week...fyi.

That's the complex right across from VCOM

Great news ....Congratulations!!! :)

I got the call at lunch today!!! I'm in for this august!!!! What are some good apartments to start looking at that are close to school? Any guys need a roommate?

Status
Not open for further replies.