VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
File complete today. I really really really really really want an interview. *Please*

come to open house day on Nov 8th and you will get to meet the admission staff and then you can tell them that you want an interview and you are dying to go here......i know a couple of people who did that last year! at least u will get an interview, if u show that sincere interest!

i know its costy to come, but its nothing in the grand scheme of your educational costs come on up :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all - I keep hearing talk of the "accepted students day," and I was wondering if anyone had any information about it. When is it generally held? Is it part of orientation?

Thanks for any info!

Thanks for the invitation. I have thought of it but unfortunately with my work schedule it might be nigh impossible. I've been working a godawful number of weekends and that's my 3rd of 3 (sucks to be the urgent care person). I will see if I can call in a favor though. The other doc I share with owes me for covering Halloween for him so he can take his kiddos trick-or-treating...hmmm....
thanks for the encouragement.
Lisa

come to open house day on Nov 8th and you will get to meet the admission staff and then you can tell them that you want an interview and you are dying to go here......i know a couple of people who did that last year! at least u will get an interview, if u show that sincere interest!

i know its costy to come, but its nothing in the grand scheme of your educational costs come on up :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all - I keep hearing talk of the "accepted students day," and I was wondering if anyone had any information about it. When is it generally held? Is it part of orientation?

Thanks for any info!

Acceptance student day is usually in April!!! so dont worry, its not anytime soon....Usually, Megan will write you all newly accepted students an email about it....just be sure to check your VCOM email account if you got one already....

and no, its not a part of orientation....when you start next year, u will have a nice 3-day orientation!

I got my interview call today. :soexcited: Makes a lame day soooooo much better when that happens! Anyone else interviewing on Dec. 2nd

Last edited:
I got an my interview call today. :soexcited: Makes a lame day soooooo much better when that happens! Anyone else interviewing on Dec. 2nd

congrats! how long has ur app been complete at VCOM for?

So I got an email saying they've looked at my app and although didn't reject me set my app aside and chose not to interview me right away... does anyone know if this ever results in actually getting an interview, I'm pretty bummed I thought I was a strong candidate, I have a 3.6 and a 25 MCAT but my extracurriculars and work experience are extensive and I have a strong interest in rural medicine (grew up in a town of 1500)... just hoping someone knows anything about this situation?

So I got an email saying they've looked at my app and although didn't reject me set my app aside and chose not to interview me right away... does anyone know if this ever results in actually getting an interview, I'm pretty bummed I thought I was a strong candidate, I have a 3.6 and a 25 MCAT but my extracurriculars and work experience are extensive and I have a strong interest in rural medicine (grew up in a town of 1500)... just hoping someone knows anything about this situation?

dont worry....they will review it later and probably will call u with some good news...

this is a way for them to tell u that they looked at your file and interested in you, but there are too many people ahead of you....so wait up and lets see if we can squeeze u in!!!

congrats! how long has ur app been complete at VCOM for?

Thanks! They received my completed app. last Thursday (so that was the 23rd), and I got my call yesterday on the 30th. I hope that is a good sign. I asked Bea if I could slip into an earlier position if someone cancels though.

I met with Megan and toured VCOM earlier this month. From that experience it has definitely become my #1 choice. :thumbup:

When I applied to schools last year I had several give me the same answer. I know being told to relax never helps, but at this point you've done all that you can.

So give it some time, and if nothing happens write a letter of intent letting them know you're still very interested in their program. After I sent out my LOI last year it helped me out a lot.

Flying out in the morning for my interview on Tuesday.... plan to see the area a little and turn this into a bit of a vacation and time to visit family. Can't wait to see Virginia, I hear it's comparable to Oregon on the "beauty scale" so that makes me happy. :)

See ya Tuesday!!

Hey, congrats!! Tell 'em I need an interview too. :laugh:

That part of Virginia is just beautiful. It reminds me very much of back home (McMinnville, OR) with rolling hills and everything green. Of course the Blue Ridge Parkway is nothing like the Van Duzer Corridor... ;) much more beautiful. I suppose more like the Gorge highway in grandeur.

I've been surprised by how many beautiful places there are since I left Oregon. The Black Hills of South Dakota were particularly gorgeous. Have a good time and tell 'em to save an interview for another Oregon girl :)

Best wishes

Lisa

Flying out in the morning for my interview on Tuesday.... plan to see the area a little and turn this into a bit of a vacation and time to visit family. Can't wait to see Virginia, I hear it's comparable to Oregon on the "beauty scale" so that makes me happy. :)

See ya Tuesday!!

Hey, congrats!! Tell 'em I need an interview too. :laugh:

That part of Virginia is just beautiful. It reminds me very much of back home (McMinnville, OR) with rolling hills and everything green.

Leaving Oregon is going to be tough in a lot of ways... but I worked with a guy from VTech and he had nothing but great things to say about Blacksburg and that it was very comparable to Corvallis.

Hope you get a chance to interview there too. It would be nice to go to school with a fellow Oregonian. :cool: When I get back I will post some feedback on the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, I'll say a prayer for you. At least if we were at school together I wouldn't be the only one with a funny "accent".

VA would be pretty cool...at least that part of the country has good wine. I'm not sure about microbrews. The quality of wine-making in SC leaves much to be desired, sadly. (Of course growing up in Oregon I'm spoiled.)

Leaving Oregon is going to be tough in a lot of ways... but I worked with a guy from VTech and he had nothing but great things to say about Blacksburg and that it was very comparable to Corvallis.

Hope you get a chance to interview there too. It would be nice to go to school with a fellow Oregonian. :cool: When I get back I will post some feedback on the experience.

Ha, I'll say a prayer for you. At least if we were at school together I wouldn't be the only one with a funny "accent".

VA would be pretty cool...at least that part of the country has good wine. I'm not sure about microbrews. The quality of wine-making in SC leaves much to be desired, sadly. (Of course growing up in Oregon I'm spoiled.)

How do we have the accent?... I never figured this one out. We talk like the people on the news... no accent. We are accentless.

Ya... about beer in other states... I think most people think variety is Bud, Bud light, Coors, Coors light, and Sam Adams. :( So sad... I am so used to having about 10 nice micros to choose from at any restaurant and hundreds of beers as the local specialty store. Wine is also the same from what I have found. Being from Oregon has truly spoiled me with the selection of finely crafted beverages. It will be hard to leave behind my Ninkasi, Terminal Gravity, and good old Deschutes. (Tricerahops, ESG, and Hop Henge will be a thing that I get once a year if I make it home) I think I will have to bring some with me :)

Yeah, about 10 years ago some linguists (I think in Vancouver BC or so) did a study and showed that there is a distinct "Northwest accent". All I can tell ya is when I open my mouth and say anything other than "hey" I get the "you're not from around here, are you?" look.

As for beer; it may be a sad plight, but we can hope in a college town there will have been a market for Deschutes. I actually looked at importing some a while ago but the shipping is prohibitively expensive.

;)
How do we have the accent?... I never figured this one out. We talk like the people on the news... no accent. We are accentless.

Ya... about beer in other states... I think most people think variety is Bud, Bud light, Coors, Coors light, and Sam Adams. :( So sad... I am so used to having about 10 nice micros to choose from at any restaurant and hundreds of beers as the local specialty store. Wine is also the same from what I have found. Being from Oregon has truly spoiled me with the selection of finely crafted beverages. It will be hard to leave behind my Ninkasi, Terminal Gravity, and good old Deschutes. (Tricerahops, ESG, and Hop Henge will be a thing that I get once a year if I make it home) I think I will have to bring some with me :)

I got my interview call today. :soexcited: Makes a lame day soooooo much better when that happens! Anyone else interviewing on Dec. 2nd

Congrats on your interview! Your interview day is my birthday - I feel like that is a good sign for you since I was successful. :laugh:

And thanks for the info on the admitted students day - I can't wait to meet everyone!

who is coming to the Open house next week on Sat Nov 8th????? this is a good chance for you all if you want to mee with the admission personnel and 1st and 2nd yr medical students....

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/general/news/ check it out...and see ya next week if u r coming :D

who is coming to the Open house next week on Sat Nov 8th????? this is a good chance for you all if you want to mee with the admission personnel and 1st and 2nd yr medical students....

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/general/news/ check it out...and see ya next week if u r coming :D
By the way, this is a great way to increase your chances! Not saying that it WILL for sure, but I personally think it makes a big difference.

VCOM seems like a strong possibility for me and I would love to visit during the open house, but I'm thinking the 8 hour drive might be much. I might have to just wait for the interview invite to visit... :(

VCOM seems like a strong possibility for me and I would love to visit during the open house, but I'm thinking the 8 hour drive might be much. I might have to just wait for the interview invite to visit... :(
Play the game, man. Send them an email asking what you'll miss at the open and tell them how you'd really like to make it, but you can't because of distance. Of course, don't come off fake because I can tell you aren't.

has anyone been required to send in extra LOR's? I got an email saying I had to send in one from my year-long postbac before they review my app. that's going to be a considerable delay

By the way, this is a great way to increase your chances! Not saying that it WILL for sure, but I personally think it makes a big difference.

Do you really think that it would help my chances that much? I really, really like VCOM, but I just have so much to do right now. I'm not sure that I can afford a whole Saturday.

Do you really think that it would help my chances that much? I really, really like VCOM, but I just have so much to do right now. I'm not sure that I can afford a whole Saturday.

That's ok I guess! Anyway, my friend told me that there will be a a crowd of 200 people or so coming that saturday (lots of undergrad showing up! :eek::D)

good luck with your application everybody....keep the thread alive :D

VCOM put me on pre-interview hold on 9/19 and haven't heard since...do they pull people off hold for interviews at all?

Ha I was put on hold to receive a secondary. After 2 months I emailed them to ask what was going on and my response was to fill out the secondary. Odd.

I'm thinking about writing a letter to VCOM to inform them of some updates to my application. Who should I address the letter to? Admissions? Bea? Megan? Anyone know about this?

I'm thinking about writing a letter to VCOM to inform them of some updates to my application. Who should I address the letter to? Admissions? Bea? Megan? Anyone know about this?
Admissions is what I'd do... or if you've been in contact with Megan or Bea for previous things and you're pretty sure they know who you are, you can just address it to them. Just depends on how well you know them :)

If you want to send it to a direct person I'd send it to Megan unless you have a good relationship with Bea. Its more "powerful" to send it to the Director of Admissions. I would say, however that sending it to the generic admissions address is probably best.

Hey guys, I changed my mind and decided to take the 8 hour trek down to Virginia for the open house. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

I hope that it'll be worth the trip!

Always good to update VCOM on any new events or grades, etc.... I would email Megan to let her know that you are still very interested in VCOM. Good luck

Open house is a good thing to attend if you can.

I'm starting to get kind of worried. I have been complete at VCOM for about 5 and a half weeks and haven't heard a thing. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hey guys, I changed my mind and decided to take the 8 hour trek down to Virginia for the open house. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

I hope that it'll be worth the trip!

Me too. I can't wait. I went to an open house two years ago, and the school seemed great. They've made some additions since I was there, so I'm excited to see what's new.

how was open house day? let me know if any of you enjoyed it! is it what you expected? :D any feedback would be good

how was open house day? let me know if any of you enjoyed it! is it what you expected? :D any feedback would be good

I enjoyed the open house day. It was very organized and learned a lot about the school past the website. I liked how you were able to meet one on one with the admission directors after the whole thing. It really showed me a lot that they were willing to stay late to answer all the questions. The presenters were great as well. I had to drive a total of 10 hours (there and back) but I would say it was worth it. VCOM seems like an absolute wonderful place to go to school!!!!

I enjoyed the open house day. It was very organized and learned a lot about the school past the website. I liked how you were able to meet one on one with the admission directors after the whole thing. It really showed me a lot that they were willing to stay late to answer all the questions. The presenters were great as well. I had to drive a total of 10 hours (there and back) but I would say it was worth it. VCOM seems like an absolute wonderful place to go to school!!!!

AWESOME!!!! I am glad you liked it...

I am sorry about the painful drive...i honestly hate driving myself!!! I tend to be :sleep: all the time on the road...

anyway, if you all have any questions, PM me on here and i will be more than happy to answer them.... :D

The Open House went really well. You could just feel that the staff and students really wanted to help you, and the atmosphere seemed friendly and welcoming. I know that that is the staff's job, but I thought that everyone was very genuine. By the way, thanks to the students who spoke on the student panel (if any of you are out there).

It also felt like the faculty/staff would be on the same team as the students. In undergrad it has seemed like I'm constantly playing against the professors, but I feel that at VCOM the faculty will work concurrently with the students.

The facilities seemed really great too. Our tour guide told us that two other medical schools in VA are going to build new anatomy labs, and they came to VCOM to study theirs.

Overall, great day and it was worth the drive. Oh yeah, nice to meet you Modern Chemistry. Hope your trip home went well.

I enjoyed the open house as well. I learned a lot about the school, its programs and curriculum. It seemed rather organized and I thought all of the sessions were informative.

And to top it off I just got in interview invite today...yay!

I enjoyed the open house as well. I learned a lot about the school, its programs and curriculum. It seemed rather organized and I thought all of the sessions were informative.

And to top it off I just got in interview invite today...yay!

Congrats! That's really exciting. Make sure to check out the interview feedback page. It has some really good info.

awesome....thank you guys for the feedback.....it is really great that you all enjoyed the day.....i hope everyone that came out and drove long distances to check the school was satisfied with the outcome and hopefully, u will get some interview invites :D

Hey for anyone who's going to be interviewing on Tues the 18th, it looks like I'll be giving your tour and eating lunch with you! I already ordered my lunch, too.... it's something I can't pronounce, but it has cranberries and chicken... mmm. Lookin forward to it! I'll answer all those questions you don't want the adcoms to hear haha :thumbup:

Overall, great day and it was worth the drive. Oh yeah, nice to meet you Modern Chemistry. Hope your trip home went well.

I thought it was funny to run into somebody from SDN. Was nice too meet too and the ride back wasn't too bad. Cut through WV and got to see WVSOM (though I could only enter the library).

I am not sure if being at the open house helped, but I just got a call for an interview. I hope I can handle the drive a second time. :laugh:

I thought it was funny to run into somebody from SDN. Was nice too meet too and the ride back wasn't too bad. Cut through WV and got to see WVSOM (though I could only enter the library).

I am not sure if being at the open house helped, but I just got a call for an interview. I hope I can handle the drive a second time. :laugh:

That's awesome man! Hope it goes well for you.

Good luck with the drive again.

Ahhh almost time for the phone calls :) Hope I hear a :thumbup: from VCOM tomorrow.

Hey guys! As you get into VCOM and make final decisions, look for the Class of 2013 group on Facebook!!!

Hey guys! As you get into VCOM and make final decisions, look for the Class of 2013 group on Facebook!!!

the fruits of facebook are :thumbup: well, I know that the facebook profile is not for everyone, but I recommend getting one, b/c thats how you will all get to know each other prior to orientation and know if there are parties/events/sports going on...it was really nice for my class and the other class at least for the first 3 months or so...

I love VCOM.....you will get to know all your classmates at least by half way of first yr...which is a great thing....VCOM will make sure you know everybody, which is :thumbup::thumbup: plus you will have big siblings to help you out, which connects you more to 2nd yrs!!! Just wait and you will have a blast at VCOM, i know i am :D:D:D

and for interviewees to be---hang in there...and post on here with the good news and excitement :D

Anyone from the 11/4 interview hear back yet? I am at work and just can't get anything done becasue I want that phone to ring :scared:

Even the free donuts some sales rep. dropped off didn't calm me down and that uasually helps me chill out a bit.

i heard back on the 23rd. relax until 3 pm. they're unlikely to call until then. I think my phone call was around 3:45? they've probably just finished up the meeting right now. GOOD LUCK!

vcom 2013 wooooooooooo

3pm EST? That would be noon here... I can make it, I know I can...back to the Karl Fischer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.