VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping another thread started last year for discussion of VCOM and their secondary/interviews/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the secondary and it asks if you live in a rural area. I do, but its not 30 miles outside of a area with a population greater than 100,000. Think they'll be picky if I say yes?

I was looking at the secondary and it asks if you live in a rural area. I do, but its not 30 miles outside of a area with a population greater than 100,000. Think they'll be picky if I say yes?

I would check "no" and then explain that while your community is rural, it's less than 30 miles from a bigger population. You don't want to take the chance that they'll be picky about it. Either that or give them a call.

I got their secondary too by the way. For anyone who hasn't applied yet, it's only three essays. If you've applied before, there's a fourth one.

I would just follow their guide lines, you don't want something like saying yes to prevent you from getting in

I got the email saying my app was under review to determine whether I'd get a secondary. I kind of wish they would just say I get it or don't get it. Much easier. This just clogs up my inbox!

I got the email saying my app was under review to determine whether I'd get a secondary. I kind of wish they would just say I get it or don't get it. Much easier. This just clogs up my inbox!

You'll probably get the actual secondary tomorrow or Monday (assuming they're out on Friday).

I'll survive either way. Lets me get the 5 or so secondaries I have already done.

Hey guys I just wanted to say good luck to all of you, and if you get an interview congrats!

Invited to complete the secondary, today. Are secondaries screened? I'm going to start working on it but hold off on submitting until I get other secondary invites.

I think they are screened, at least a little bit. I got mine today but if they just mailed them out to everybody then I have no idea why they would bother emailing me to say they are checking it out. If it is anything it is probably like a 3.0/25 mcat cut off type deal.

This weekend I'll fill that bad boy out. The essays are kind of fun, at least one is .

Members don't see this ad :)
They are screened in some way, I got an email one week ago that they got my application and would follow up within a week. Today I got an email saying they are missing MCAT score (get them mon/tues!) and once they receive an MCAT score they will let me know about getting a secondary.

I think VCOM screens more the other schools. I heard they are more picky when deciding who gets a secondary. They are really long, so they probably don't want to read everyones

I think they are screened, at least a little bit. I got mine today but if they just mailed them out to everybody then I have no idea why they would bother emailing me to say they are checking it out. If it is anything it is probably like a 3.0/25 mcat cut off type deal.

This weekend I'll fill that bad boy out. The essays are kind of fun, at least one is .

The website says their average MCAT is a 24, I believe. I haven't sat for the MCAT yet and I got a secondary.

The website says their average MCAT is a 24, I believe. I haven't sat for the MCAT yet and I got a secondary.

I don't believe that they have updated their website in a while. A VCOM representative came to my school. He said that the average MCAT has been around a 26 or 27 the past couple of years. But I think that they value the science GPA over the MCAT.

Hello everyone!

Congrats to everyone who got interviews or secondaries. This must be an exciting time. VCOM does screen applications. A little less than half of applicants who apply will get a secondary and less than half of those people will be interviewed for around 160 seats. This years incoming class is the largest (around 175-180). If you get a secondary you are one step closer so hang in there!! Any questions about applying, housing, or VCOM in general feel free to PM me I just finished my first year so hopefully I can help out a bit. Enjoy your summer while you can :D

I was just taking a shot in the dark. Most schools have the required secondary average around the 24 or 25. If you have a high gpa, then they'll send you one anyway oftentimes.

I just filled out the secondary. It wasn't THAT long. One of the essays was kind of fun. I did think it was tough to think of 5 things about myself.

Hello everyone!

Congrats to everyone who got interviews or secondaries. This must be an exciting time. VCOM does screen applications. A little less than half of applicants who apply will get a secondary and less than half of those people will be interviewed for around 160 seats. This years incoming class is the largest (around 175-180). If you get a secondary you are one step closer so hang in there!! Any questions about applying, housing, or VCOM in general feel free to PM me I just finished my first year so hopefully I can help out a bit. Enjoy your summer while you can :D

Natatiap, they are obviously big on the rural care type thing. I was wondering if there is kind of a magic line for the population part? I grew up outside of a town of around 18,000...which is kind of pushing it. 5,000 or so were junior college students. I think a denial from VCOM would hurt more than most!

Hello everyone!

Hey there, I would love to see a post on VCOM on the Pros and Cons thread in the Osteo Med forum! If time allows of course!

I'm sure many others would find this most helpful too. Grads on 1 year down.

Hey moss,

There is no magic line for the population. I actually came from Hampton va which has a population of over 145,000 haha. I think they are interested in where you come from but they also want to know where you are interested in working. I am interested in working in an underserved area (not exactly rural) and I tailored my mission statement towards this. I wrote how I have worked in some underserved urban areas and how I was interested in doing medical missions abroad as well. VCOM looks for a variety of students so just be honest about what you are interested in doing and you'll be fine!! :)

can somebody post what the essays are for the secondary?

Hey there, I would love to see a post on VCOM on the Pros and Cons thread in the Osteo Med forum! If time allows of course!

I'm sure many others would find this most helpful too. Grads on 1 year down.

I'd appreciate one too. I'm interested in VCOM and would love to hear from a current or former student.

Bumping...

For the question about the healthcare problem in the United States, is anyone else being "very negative." I went on about how we give doctors too many patients, cut their reimbursements... this then negatively affects patients. I then said our focus of care in many place is wrong: treating vs. preventing. It was a nice vent session but I don't want to seem tainted.

Its hard to not be negative if you are realistic and have spend some time around healthcare.

I talked about that kind of stuff, the division in healthcare standards between the haves and the have nots. Stuff like that

I'd appreciate one too. I'm interested in VCOM and would love to hear from a current or former student.

I am VERY glad that I chose to attend VCOM and I am proud to be an alumni. It will be a great choice for you to come to VCOM. Good luck to you all!

I received a 20M on my first MCAT and got a secondary.

I wish I had more than half a page to write my 5 qualities essay. It doesn't help that VCOM blocked out the space, exactly. Based on the formatting of the secondary, the school has to be good! :laugh:

what is considered a "relief trip"?
is it just providing some sort of medical/physical labor to an underserved community?

about 3-4 years ago, getting a secondary from VCOM was a sign you had a great chance of acceptance but I don't think that's the case at all anymore. Good luck to you guys

what is considered a "relief trip"?
is it just providing some sort of medical/physical labor to an underserved community?

I think that sounds like one to me. I've never been on one, but my idea of good examples are pretty much any trips you may have heard about for helping after hurricane Katrina even if they weren't specifically labor or medicine related. A lot of times relief trips are sort of labeled as such. I wouldn't necessarily consider helping out with habitat for humanity one morning a relief trip, though.

VCOM has started with their interview invites.

I'm not early decision, so there are at least some regular applicants in the mix.

Congrats on getting an invite!!! Its good to know they have gotten started!

I'm also a Hokie and hoping to get an invite at some point but I'm still waiting on my D.O. letter.

I got a phone invite to interview today as well:)

was in communication with them today about my application so hopefully will get some good news in a few days!! the emails were really nice, I'm so glad that they are responsive!

It's a phone invite for the interview and I believe if you do well they will call you with an acceptance as well. The impression I've gotten is that the director of admissions likes to give good news personally.

Hey current VCOM students! I went to an open house a while back, and I have to say that I'm a little jealous of you (ok, really jealous). The school seems awesome. But I had a quick question. If a student wants to do their clinical rotations at teaching hospitals with many opportunities for didactic learning, will they be able to? I know that VCOM really likes rural medicine (as do I) but I think that I would rather do most of my rotations at teaching hospitals. Is this possible?

I know that you guys must be really, really busy right now, but if you get a chance to shed some light on the clinical years, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Hey current VCOM students! I went to an open house a while back, and I have to say that I'm a little jealous of you (ok, really jealous). The school seems awesome. But I had a quick question. If a student wants to do their clinical rotations at teaching hospitals with many opportunities for didactic learning, will they be able to? I know that VCOM really likes rural medicine (as do I) but I think that I would rather do most of my rotations at teaching hospitals. Is this possible?

I know that you guys must be really, really busy right now, but if you get a chance to shed some light on the clinical years, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

HEY!! how are you? I am glad you are interested in VCOM. I am a current MSII and I must say that I am truly happy with this school. The faculty and administration are excellent and the school is growing rapidly and to the better! New simulation patient center, Operating room simulation center, and the new facility added....in process of building a major research center across the street, and dental school on the way!!!

To answer your question, you wont be doing all your clinical rotations in rural hospitals. Most people get assigned to the big teaching hospitals in Roanoke (the Carilion Health care System; which constitutes about 4 major medical centers, where you would be rotating with students from UVA, VCU, and the Eastern Virginia).

Side note, although u find it discouraging to go to the rural rotating sites, surprisingly, many students fight for them!! why? well, its you, the physician, and maybe a couple of nurses who are taking care of a whole department. You get 100% hands on exposure!!! On the other hand, the big teaching hospitals, you are last in line!!! you got the fellows first, residents second, 4th years third, and you (3rd year) last.

4th year clinical rotations, you can do them anywhere in the US as you wish. I will probably do mine back home in the south. Hope this answers ur questions!

I totally agree with simpleman........With VCOM rotations, you can be at big hospitals with residents and interns, etc.... BUT at those locations you are more than likely to be pushed to the side and are just able to watch VERSES smaller hospitals where you end up getting to do much more hands on training. I have done WAY more procedures and seen a ton of things at the smaller places. Granted there havent been the huge trauma cases, but as a med student you arent going to be doing much if anything during those at bigger training places. I have been amazed at all Ive seen at the smaller places. So before you discount smaller hospitals for bigger hospitals be aware of this.

As a 4th year you can go whereever you want.

Thank you so much Simpleman and Amy. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question. It's good to know that students can get such a wide range of clinical exposure. The more I learn and hear about this school, the more I love it.

Hey guys, just wanted to say good luck on getting in to VCOM. I just started 2 weeks ago and I'm having a blast! Everyone here is amazing, the teachers are good.... I love it!

If you have any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm still in the midst of filling out their secondary, so I hope the review process isn't too long.

Anyone else still running through it?

Hey guys! I was just reading your posts, once you get your secondary in there is a good chance that you hear back with in a 2-3 weeks. I heard back like 2 weeks after I submitted mine then I interviewed like 2 weeks after that and heard their decision about a week after that. Good luck to everyone!!

I applied late in the application process for the class of 2012 and was top 10 on the wait-list. I just got accepted early-admissions for the class of 2013! I am super excited and just sent in my deposit!

I read on a different forum that VCOM has a dress code, but they didn't in March when I interviewed. Has something changed?

At the open house last fall, they mentioned that guys had to wear a collared shirt. I don't know what the equivalent dress code would be for women.

Status
Not open for further replies.