I need NYUCD Interview Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phil McCaries

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share their NYU interview experiences with me. I have an interview this Thursday and would like to get as much feedback as possible. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with Dr. Joshi and he was a really laid back guy. He asked me a set of questions then wrote responses based on what I said. This went on for about 15-20 minutes. Then he said "Now that we have that out of the way lets talk". We then straight up talked about dentistry, my goals with dentistry, how I was approaching the class size, school location, bunch of stuff. The first part of the interview was like those interview questions you go over every time and I was still nervous, but the conversation was really relaxed and we were just chit chatting the whole time. Apparently I was in there about 10-15min longer than most. He loves prosth btw.

I interviewed at the end of October and was in the first batch of acceptances so I guess I said something right. He wanted to see that I had a good personality and determination to make it in dentistry, so my suggestion is to just be yourself and it will go fine.

i think it depends on who you get as your interviewer.
there were 10 of us and you are assigned to an interviewer in order of your arrival. so i think it's sort of a luck who you get. i had a female professor, forgot her last name but she was very nice. she asked me about general stuff and things like do you think you can survive in nyc... what was the most difficult experience in your college/life...why dentistry... you know, stuff like that... it was a very short interview compared to my other interviews but i still got in so i guess the duration of the interview doesn't really matter...i acted like i am outgoing and bubbly and think it helps but its just imo. but got acceptance
good luck:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
the interview was the easiest out of the 9 interviews i went to.. I had a mystery man though, "Dr. Ray" who seems to be absent from the full- and part-time faculty list...

you sit around for a while with about 12 others then a faculty member takes you to a walk-in closet of a room. you are given generic 'why dental school?' questions and, in my case, he praised my extracurriculars and persistence. the entire interview lasted not even 15 minutes. i never felt so confident after coming out of an interview. literally, stress-free. However a few came out of the interviews uneasy and looked like they screwed up big time. i wonder how they did

I would totally agree that it depends on who you get. I interviewed with Dr. Lipp. Same scenario as others said - list of questions he was supposed to ask me and rate me on - but he didn't take notes about anything until after I left. We then expanded upon my answers into a discussion about the practice, why NYU would be a good choice for me, things like that. It was pretty low key and I felt confident. Dr. Lipp was welcoming and didn't approach the interview as if he was out to get me, or wanted to make me screw up, or anything like that. I interviewed November 24th, my acceptance letter was dated December 1st even though it wasn't sent out that day. There was a kid or two at my interview date who looked stressed after their interview, but most said they felt good about their interviews. Search on this forum for the NYU psych professor interview guy if you want info on why some people probably look so freaked out after their interview.

phil,

when did you submit your application? how were you invited for an interview (email, snail mail, etc)?

I was interviewed by Dr. Meija, the admissions director, and it was one of my most relaxed interviews. It wasn't your usual question-answer type, instead we drifted a lot off topic, but in a good way. Just go there relaxed, but still maintaining your professionalism. It worked for me, cos I got admitted :D...well good luck!

During my interview at NYU, I talked about my weakness, and the response was satisfactory. It was quick & simple interview. :thumbup:

However, note that some of interviewers talked a lot. REALLY A LOT!
If I were her, hahahaha....:thumbdown:

How do I know it? Whenever I went to the table placed on the aisle of the interview rooms to grab some snacks and a few cups of coffee, I could hear a long scary story at one particular room.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

During my interview at NYU, I talked about my weakness, and the response was satisfactory. It was quick & simple interview. :thumbup:

However, note that some of interviewers talked a lot. REALLY A LOT!
If I were her, hahahaha....:thumbdown:

How do I know it? Whenever I went to the table placed on the aisle of the interview rooms to grab some snacks and a few cups of coffee, I could hear a long scary story at one particular room.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

so what was ur weakness? i too got a good response, but u know how that goes.. there are ur "interview weaknesses"..and there are ur "true weaknesses- where u god forbid do NOT talk about" haha.

i also interviewed with Dr. Joshi, and i have to admit, he scared the bejeezus out of me.. asked me a few questions that put me on the spot.

so what was ur weakness? i too got a good response, but u know how that goes.. there are ur "interview weaknesses"..and there are ur "true weaknesses- where u god forbid do NOT talk about" haha.

I talked at NYU was.......

"Why do you apply now?" :laugh:

I told them I needed my own time for my ultimate decision. bla bla...

In your case, try to find what your weaknesses are, and be prepared to raise your credential during interview.
However, never mention them before they ask you. ;)

SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

i think they like it when you send them a post interview acknowledgment regarding your interview day experiences. their system is that they keep all correspondences with the applicants in their files so all emails or letters between you and them are in your file. your interviewer will write you a recommendation letter for you after your interview and that will go in your file. and then the whole committee meets to decide. this is what my interviewer told me about their procedure.

I interviewed with a younger woman doctor, she was super friendly and the easiest interview I have had. I thought it was a trick but I got admitted anyways. I forgot her name but she was very pleasant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Hittelman is the "scary" psych guy. If you get him then just be yourself. He really is a nice old man, but he does a few things to see how you'll react.

Such a laid back interview. Have fun and take it all in.

Be ready to talk about Jennifer Lopez and her movies for 30 min.

Haha, I talked about MMA and UFC for a good 15 minutes!

phil,

when did you submit your application? how were you invited for an interview (email, snail mail, etc)?

I completed my application in November and was invited for an interview via email in December.

Phil, I also will be interviewing on thursday. I will see you there. Good luck. I will be the one with the broken finger, my gf slammed it in a car door on sunday, very unpleasent. Does anyone know what the secondary application is like does it involve a lot of writing cause that might be difficult for me.

Just basic info about yourself to make sure your info from aadsas is up to date no essays. Make sure you know your AADSAS number as they ask for it on the secondary.

i had dr. hittelman as well.. lucky for me i had heard about him before and so i was prepared. he pretended to fall asleep, then he picked up his cell phone, and kept on rephrasing the same question over five times. i just kept smiling and restating my answers over and over hahaha. he was very hard to read, but i eventually got an acceptance so for sure just be yourself! stick to your answers!

I have to say the interview is not hard..That's the best interview I had. Professor did not ask me hard questions, but he asked me more about myself..like which artist I like? Why dentistry? They also prepared us good lunch ^^ GL on ur interview!

i had dr. hittelman as well.. lucky for me i had heard about him before and so i was prepared. he pretended to fall asleep, then he picked up his cell phone, and kept on rephrasing the same question over five times. i just kept smiling and restating my answers over and over hahaha. he was very hard to read, but i eventually got an acceptance so for sure just be yourself! stick to your answers!

hahahaaha

I had Dr. Dawson, and he was very laid back and relaxed and made me very comfortable. He didnt ask any "difficult" questions it was just nice and easy.